Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-...nd-new-kinect/

Take it with a grain, and lets hope this is wrong. I'd like to think MS wouldn't be stupid enough to not allow used games but well find out soon. If this isn't true, I'd come out now and squash this immediately.
    The source also said previously released specs are wrong.

I will mot by a console that prevents ability to play second hand games. This will kill any console that tries this.

Also, the always online thing better be wrong or not prevent one from playing games if they have no internet connection. People lose internet for periods of time sometimes. Why should you not be able to still play a game in that case?

agreed with both posts. why would I want to buy a game that's been out for a while, and not be able to buy it used for a reduced price?! especially if I can on other consoles. Gamestop and other stores would probably be pissed also.

and the internet connection requirement is also dumb. like Dave said, what if I don't have access to internet but want to play some campaign mode?

I see why MS($) would want to do both, the "no firsthand games" keeps the prices of games high. and the online mode stops piracy (I guess?) but I dont know anyone who mods their xbox or anything like that. although I'm sure the niche exists. either way, both are pretty stupid ideas to me

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Welp, I know what I won't be buying, if true. The economics of it just don't make sense. And it's just absurd. My internet connection has gone down at points sure, but it also doesn't make any sense outside of the US. When I lived in Mexico City, my home internet hardly functioned. But I played my XBox all the time anyway. Why would anyone in a country with unreliable internet buy an XBox now? And let's be honest, this isn't about piracy, this is about sticking a knife in Gamestop so devs make more money. It's the only way EA is going to survive.
    Last edited by tekhna; 02-06-2013 at 10:11 AM.

I really have to think this can't be true. Maybe I'm wrong, but i think this would kill any chance at success if it were to happen. You'd have to think MS would realize this and that this rumors are bs.
    This is something that developers want, something the console makers want therefore something like this will occur at one point or another, the only real question is whom is going to implement it first ? Sony or Microsoft. I suspect both of their divisions will be having secret talks to each other and game developers about this.

Global Posts
    2,674 Global Posts
    Honestly wouldn't affect me. I am always connected and I always buy my games brand new. Idk how many people are like me though..

that being said, I highly doubt this is the road Microsoft is going down.
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT

Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    Honestly wouldn't affect me. I am always connected and I always buy my games brand new. Idk how many people are like me though..

There will be a point when all games will be digital download only and i dont think its too far off. It greatly reduces production costs and helps combat piracy. There was talk of this a while ago with games being available at special vending machines that would take your money and download the game onto a card compatible with the console for those people without internet connections. Its an interesting concept that I dont think is too far off in the future.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts

It doesn't bother you that you are in effect renting a game you bought? What if you want to go bring Halo 7 (or whatever) over to your friend's house to play co-op in person?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,406 Global Posts
    So this is the source my cousin was using. Cheers for the link! If it's true I see the Xbox going down in flames and the PS4 being the console of choice.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    BIGPADDY likes this.

Global Posts
    2,674 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    It doesn't bother you that you are in effect renting a game you bought? What if you want to go bring Halo 7 (or whatever) over to your friend's house to play co-op in person?
    I'm not saying its bad, in most cases my friend would already have that game too! Maybe I just sign into my account and bam I can play it on his xbox with him as a guest. Idk, either way I'm not buying into this rumor one bit.
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    I'm not saying its bad, in most cases my friend would already have that game too! Maybe I just sign into my account and bam I can play it on his xbox with him as a guest. Idk, either way I'm not buying into this rumor one bit.
    Why aren't you buying it? There's been talk for years that Microsoft and Sony want to do this.

Global Posts
    2,674 Global Posts
    Why aren't you buying it? There's been talk for years that Microsoft and Sony want to do this.
    Its a very extreme change. One thing I know however, if it IS done to the Xbox it will be done to the PS4.

I'm pretty sure the resale of games is permitted under uk law, so MS blocking it might cause them problems; thats why PC game makers went with activation codes that had to be rebought for 2nd hand games.

Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    There will be a point when all games will be digital download only and i dont think its too far off. It greatly reduces production costs and helps combat piracy. There was talk of this a while ago with games being available at special vending machines that would take your money and download the game onto a card compatible with the console for those people without internet connections. Its an interesting concept that I dont think is too far off in the future.
    Itd be one thing if they passed some of those savings to us, but chances are they wont which blows.

If I ever had a console like that, I'd hardly by any games. Many times, you get games that suck or you're disappointed with. I wouldn't take any chances and only get games I know I'd like

Global Posts
    2,674 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGx View Post
    Itd be one thing if they passed some of those savings to us, but chances are they wont which blows.

If I ever had a console like that, I'd hardly by any games. Many times, you get games that suck or you're disappointed with. I wouldn't take any chances and only get games I know I'd like
    The other thing I just noticed is what would happen to the increasing market of game renting. There are large companies built around video game renting. I don't think they can just kill them all off. That's why im a bit skeptical

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    The other thing I just noticed is what would happen to the increasing market of game renting. There are large companies built around video game renting. I don't think they can just kill them all off. That's why im a bit skeptical
    But that's exactly what developers want is to kill off the second-hand and rented market. And if Microsoft got favorable terms from the developers, you'd be believe they would implement something like that.

Global Posts
    2,674 Global Posts
    But that's exactly what developers want is to kill off the second-hand and rented market. And if Microsoft got favorable terms from the developers, you'd be believe they would implement something like that.
    Would Microsoft make this jump before Sony? Or do you think they would have to make the jump together?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGx View Post

Yeah savings being passed down to the consumer... Dont think thats ever happened in the history of consumerism... Will probably charge us more for "unforseen digital storage solutions"

And youve got to imagine that if games are all digital download they would include some sort of free trial period of the full game

Would Microsoft make this jump before Sony? Or do you think they would have to make the jump together?
    Something that big would have to be agreed industry wide as it would have massive implications all along the software distribution chain.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    Yeah savings being passed down to the consumer... Dont think thats ever happened in the history of consumerism... Will probably charge us more for "unforseen digital storage solutions"

And youve got to imagine that if games are all digital download they would include some sort of free trial period of the full game
    Well, games are cheaper on Steam. Which may be my solution going forward.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Going all digital and eliminating secondhand games is fine. I buy most all games new or digital anyways. The "only online" thing will kill the console. just look at the outcry when Blizzard did it for Diablo III. It was a disaster. Many people use their Xbox without internet connection. I really do not see them going this route. I have owned a Xbox from the moment they were released and I can say I would not be getting one if it always required an internet connection.

Global Posts
    2,674 Global Posts
    I find it really hard to find all game distributers and all consoles to be onboard with this. I mean literally every single person involved with Xbox, or playstation, or the games need to be onboard with this! Not only that but now Nintendo has to do the same thing with there console and games. Its just going to be a mess.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,406 Global Posts
    Oh yeah, here's another thing. We have a Video Games Society at the university. We often bring in games to play them with each other. After all, that's what we're about. If everyone gets on board with this, they're going to get rid of all video game societies and groups in one foul swoop with this. Shouldn't they be encouraging people to go to groups of games and play together there?

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    BIGPADDY likes this.

I find it really hard to find all game distributers and all consoles to be onboard with this. I mean literally every single person involved with Xbox, or playstation, or the games need to be onboard with this! Not only that but now Nintendo has to do the same thing with there console and games. Its just going to be a mess.
    First, this rumor has been around for almost a year now. And word was both MS and Sony are considering this.

Second, many developers and publishers have come out and said they would be in support of this. As much as they claim to be about the gamer (and some are to an extent), they are all in a he business of making money. The used game and rental market has cut into that and they clearly see it as a huge issue for this to even be a discussion. As I have said before, the gaming industry has some big decisions to make in the coming year or so.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast