Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

This is how XBLA is now. I can play on my console when I'm online or off and play on a friends console only when logged in. Steam is like this now. Besides the always on internet thing I don't see much of a problem. Devs are going to start doing that themselves anyway. Disc installs game, code unlocks it and links it to your account and console.

First... if this is true... i hope the games become cheaper to reflect this... and im surprised sites like "gamefly" or whatever aren't up in arms... this would essentially destroy their company completely..

The always online thing I can see, if they are doing an updated voice control system, it may need to be online all the time to be able to parse your sentences and send back the proper commands.. But if that is the case, it should still allow you to either turn it off for the paranoid people out there, or not block your games if the internet goes out (just block voice or whatever else it is).

I am curious to see if they stop the 2nd hand gaming. I can see the reasons for it, but i don't think it's the wisest move. I agree though if something like this happens, both Sony and MS will have to do it together.. and Nintendo too really.. But many people will just rebel against "the man" and get ouyo (whatever it's called) or the steam box when it comes out and cut into the xbox market share and profits to help making xbox better after this and to MS in general for other departments like Windows Phone 8... Though it is 100% rumor right now and though it's been "confirmed"... many things get "confirmed" all the time and get proven wrong... i.e. that nokia employee notification center tease that was falsified about 30 minutes after the article came out...

Basically i just wish i knew someone uppity in MS so I could get the inside scoup myself and not have to read rumors and maybes and wait for the release and launch events... But here is hoping it all works out for the best!

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    It doesn't bother you that you are in effect renting a game you bought? What if you want to go bring Halo 7 (or whatever) over to your friend's house to play co-op in person?
    What makes you think you own any of the software you use, play, etc? You best read the fine print.

Also, I got a fine bridge that's for sale. PM me if interested.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

I have had my Xbox 360 since 2006. No red ring of death either. But I only like a month ago just bought a WiFi adapter for it. And just got live gold for 35 bucks. BUT the last time I bought a new game was back around when I first got my system. I don't have 50 or 60 bucks to buy games just to let them later sit and collect dust. Another reason for me not buying into new games is I WANT freaking two player mode at least on games. You know to actually have fun playing with a friend in the same house! That is the way games were meant to be, to be FUN. So if I see a game I like I have no problem waiting to find it for $20 or less.be it new or used. I don't have a problem with patience though. But if these new systems do what is rumored ill just do emulators on my desktop and say screw giving anyone my money for a game.

Quote Originally Posted by narv View Post
    .. But many people will just rebel against "the man" and get ouyo (whatever it's called) or the steam box when it comes out
    Steam already requires an internet connection to be able to play your games. There is an offline mode, but supposedly it works for a maximum of 30 days at a time at which point it needs to "check in" again. No idea about the OUYA console.

This whole idea could be detrimental to those who live out in the sticks and/or people who have shoddy internet connections. When I worked Xbox support back in the day, I would get many calls from people who were out in the middle of who knows where with unreliable internet or satellite that went out... or couldn't connect because the service wasn't fast enough.

This idea would also pretty much screw over all of our military. As former military man myself, I know how fun it was to walk into a room loaded with Xbox's and people playing multiplayer Halo or whatever... this was when we were in the middle of the ocean on a ship. And while I was out of the military when StarCraft II came out, I heard grumblings from people who kind of got screwed over after having ordere the game by mail but unable to activate for long periods of time. No LAN play kind of killed it, too, but that's an issue for Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Thunder View Post
    This is how XBLA is now. I can play on my console when I'm online or off and play on a friends console only when logged in.
    The way I read it anyway, if the console REQUIRES an internet connection to function, then you wouldn't be able to play any games offline. That's not like XBLA.
    Last edited by Mystictrust; 02-08-2013 at 03:47 PM.

I cannot see them requiring a permanent connection. The majority may have it but not everyone does.

I am sure that they would like to get everyone to buy new games, but I suspect this will not be mandatory. You will just require online activation codes. Most EA games require this already. A game may be tied to a console and also a gamer to allow multiple users in the house to play a game, like current Arcade games.

Always on voice recognition is not my thing. I would need a way to turn it off. Same with Kinect as standard, not a good idea in my opinion and not cost effective. Just the box and the controllers are all I want packaged in there. Keep the costs down to just essential hardware.

Heard lots about it having 8GB of ram. Although I heard PS 4 will only have 4, it is supposed to be quicker. Anyone know how these will compare? Which prevails?
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Gamertag: peachy001

Quote Originally Posted by peachy001 View Post
    I cannot see them requiring a permanent connection. The majority may have it but not everyone does.

I am sure that they would like to get everyone to buy new games, but I suspect this will not be mandatory. You will just require online activation codes. Most EA games require this already. A game may be tied to a console and also a gamer to allow multiple users in the house to play a game, like current Arcade games.

Always on voice recognition is not my thing. I would need a way to turn it off. Same with Kinect as standard, not a good idea in my opinion and not cost effective. Just the box and the controllers are all I want packaged in there. Keep the costs down to just essential hardware.

Heard lots about it having 8GB of ram. Although I heard PS 4 will only have 4, it is supposed to be quicker. Anyone know how these will compare? Which prevails?
    This stuff will be mandatory if publishers and developers demand it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDedrick View Post
    This stuff will be mandatory if publishers and developers demand it.
    damn hoping they don't. I picked up quite a few games second hand and then from friends. Many of which I then bought the sequel to. Seems like a hugs. Waste of resources to expect everyone to have their own copy and make it useless once they had rinsed it.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

My friend told me that because SONY found a leak of specs for the xbox, which had 8GB of RAM inside that they're bumping the RAM to 8GB instead of 4GB, which I'm very happy because I will be buying a PS4 and by praying to the all mighty PlayStation god's that they will make PS4 backward compatible with PS3 games or some kind of download so when you put the disc in it will download it onto the PS4 or something
    The craziest member on WPCentral!

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!

Paddy, does your friend work for Sony or is he just an enthusiastic amateur like ourselves? Not pulling down your source, I am so thirsty for solid knowledge on these things it scares me. I had read all over that the PS4 will have 4GB of fast RAM, but the Xbox will have 8GB of slower RAM. Now if Sony did double the faster RAM they would have a beast of a rig.

I will be getting the Xbox, so I am desperate for it to be on the same level as the PS4. Not seen many credible rumours that the Xbox will be more powerful though, which disappoints me a bit. Lord I hope they don't bog down the dashboard too much. I find the current one has just broke the limit, the thing is so slow now.

Backwards compatibility is not something I have ever wanted, until now. I only want it for my downloaded purchases though, like the Arcade games. Would be a shame to lose them.
    Last edited by peachy001; 02-09-2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Paddy, does your friend work for Sony or is he just an enthusiastic amateur like ourselves? Not pulling down your source, I am so thirsty for solid knowledge on these things it scares me. I had read all over that the PS4 will have 4GB of fast RAM, but the Xbox will have 8GB of slower RAM. Now if Sony did double the faster RAM they would have a beast of a rig.

I will be getting the Xbox, so I am desperate for it to be on the same level as the PS4. Not seen many credible rumours that the Xbox will be more powerful though, which disappoints me a bit. Lord I hope they don't bog down the dashboard too much. I find the current one has just broke the limit, the thing is so slow now.

Backwards compatibility is not something I have ever wanted, until now. I only want it for my downloaded purchases though, like the Arcade games. Would be a shame to lose them.
    No just an enthusiastic amerture unless there something he not telling me he has an xbox and he also trying to choice which one would be best. I think he found it on a website I will ask and report back.

I would say wait and see what they will announce for the PS4 then wait for E3 for Xbox both should be out for sale before Christmas which should give people time to decide which will be best for themselves.

However this is my own crazy theory

Thanked by:

The wait will be fine, I need time to save up. I have a house in need of some things, so Mrs P will take some convincing too. She seems to be opposed to me spending 300 on a new console when my 360 works perfectly well. She just does not get it.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Mystictrust and BIGPADDY like this.
    The wait will be fine, I need time to save up. I have a house in need of some things, so Mrs P will take some convincing too. She seems to be opposed to me spending 300 on a new console when my 360 works perfectly well. She just does not get it.
    My tech website Techradar has gathered up all the rumored information about the PS4 including 8GB of RAM take a look and join the dark side

PS4 release date, news and rumours | News | TechRadar

Thanked by:

If I could use the controller, I would have considered it long ago. I had a PS1 yonks ago, then waited for the PS2, but it seemed to get delayed, or I had other priorities, I can't fully recall. One day a friend came by and brought his Dreamcast. Oh lord, that controller felt so much better, and had triggers! I then moved on to the Xbox. It also had lovely triggers, although was a little large. The layout just seemed so much better. Boom, 360 hit the streets and I was in heaven. The controller on it is just perfect.

I have looked at Tech Radar and just about every other source on the web. I am swimming in information, the hard bit is sorting the wheat from the chaff. I am in the Xbox camp now, but if the PS4 is significantly better I may consider it.

Frustratingly, much of the stuff I have read seems to put the PS4 ahead. We will know half the story on 20th February, when the announcement from Sony comes.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

BIGPADDY likes this.

We will know half the story on 20th February, when the announcement from Sony comes.
    I have a feeling that Sony isn't going to announce specs. It'll probably be more focused around services, capabilities, features planned for PS4. Hmmm, then again I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that for the PS4, Sony is less interested in specs and more on the experience. That could line up with a spec-less announcement.

That Xbox 360 controller really is perfect - not a fan of the Playstation controller by ANY means. That has been my biggest hindrance to even considering a Playstation console. If Microsoft pulls a stupid move though and messes up the controller (and doesn't allow "legacy" 360 controllers) then I'll have to bow out. That controller is a huge part of the console gaming experience.
    BIGPADDY likes this.

Fingers crossed with the controller.

You are probably right with the partial reveal idea. They would want to save some surprises for E3. That is where MS may show their hand.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Global Posts
    2,504 Global Posts
    hey listen folks, the only people pushing this is the cabal of EA/Ubisoft/Vivendi. No one else wants to can the second hand game market. Not Microsoft, not Sony, not anyone else! EA is a monster that feeds on itself with 50, 60, 70 dollar games, that can be had for a third off that price just weeks later. They want EVERYONE to pay $60 a game and they are fools because their sales will plummet.

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    hey listen folks, the only people pushing this is the cabal of EA/Ubisoft/Vivendi. No one else wants to can the second hand game market. Not Microsoft, not Sony, not anyone else! EA is a monster that feeds on itself with 50, 60, 70 dollar games, that can be had for a third off that price just weeks later. They want EVERYONE to pay $60 a game and they are fools because their sales will plummet.
    If that's the case, then why are other companies games priced comparably? EA, Ubisoft, and Vivendi aren't the only ones looking to profit off of $60 plus games.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12