Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Keith Wallace
  1. NaNoo123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    107 Posts
       #1  
    Is this the best time to start talking about things like this?
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...te-with-kinect

    Not saying they should lie but, maybe get across the things that aren't so contentious, and what gamers want etc?
  2. #2  
    You have something against Bengay? Or you just realized that the Xbox is supposed to make money for Microsoft?

    "I can't stand advertisements on things that I pay for...that is why everyone refuses to pay for cable, to read magazines, and to drive on highways littered with billboards"
  3. NaNoo123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    107 Posts
       #3  
    Don't get what your saying here, and did try to.
    Maybe you never understood my post or something
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtieson View Post
    You have something against Bengay? Or you just realized that the Xbox is supposed to make money for Microsoft?

    "I can't stand advertisements on things that I pay for...that is why everyone refuses to pay for cable, to read magazines, and to drive on highways littered with billboards"
    Not really a fair comparison. Microsoft can stay afloat without the massive advertisement stuff. Cable TV isn't profitable without advertisements (even if they are overkill in their quantity). In this instance, you are purchasing the hardware and paying for the software (Xbox LIVE Gold subscription). Such things typically do not come with ads (subscriptions on forums and paying for apps often means a removal of ads). That we're paying for the service AND getting ads, when competing platforms do not offer this, is different than the situation with TV providers.

    Seriously, what is the upside to this console? It's like they're TRYING to devalue the brand or something, because all I keep seeing is announcements of the negatives with the thing. I don't see Microsoft giving interviews about the positives.
  5. NaNoo123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    107 Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    It's like they're TRYING to devalue the brand or something, because all I keep seeing is announcements of the negatives with the thing. I don't see Microsoft giving interviews about the positives.
    this was my main point of the post.

    I didn't understand what their point was but, i understood your reply so I'll go based on that.

    if he was saying i think its bad, or wrong then i never said that. Don't have a particular view on it at moment.

    My point is that at best it's very contentious. Especially when there's the fear of snooping, and kinect watching you regardless of how valid or not it may be.

    Why aren't they pushing and talking about the things that everyone can get behind?
  6. #6  
    I think this kind of kills any speculation on whether or not the Kinect will spy on you, in my opinion. When you say "Kinect will be used for advertising," that tells me things like voice collection will occur. That, or it might mean it'll save who you are, then pick "preferred" ads for you when you log in. Basically, it'll keep track of who is logged in, tell that to Microsoft, and have them pick potentially-relevant ads. I don't like that one bit, and it's part of why I've made the statement that I'd legitimately wrap my Kinect in foil.
  7. NaNoo123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    107 Posts
       #7  
    At least it can be switched off, but given add targeting etc, i would also think different levels of on/participation opt in would be good.

    Given all the negative press, i just find it hard to believe this is the sort of things their discussing.
    Like i said, I'm not saying they should lie but at least attempt to move discussion onto positive things like games, about how they talked to developers, plans for indie, how cloud/cost of hosting will make a big difference, whatever.
    Try to affect the narrative for the better.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    When you say "Kinect will be used for advertising," that tells me things like voice collection will occur.
    Did you read the article? It says that they don't collect data. It sounds like the advertising will be interactive, like using voice commands and gestures in the actual advertisement.

    From the article: "whereas, from the advertising point of view, we have a slightly more limited set, which is designed to protect the user. The company is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse, so we can’t do certain things.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    That, or it might mean it'll save who you are, then pick "preferred" ads for you when you log in. Basically, it'll keep track of who is logged in, tell that to Microsoft, and have them pick potentially-relevant ads.
    Facebook, gmail, and many other websites already do this. They keep track of what you click on in order to better target advertising.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by curseoftheninja View Post
    Did you read the article? It says that they don't collect data. It sounds like the advertising will be interactive, like using voice commands and gestures in the actual advertisement.

    From the article: "whereas, from the advertising point of view, we have a slightly more limited set, which is designed to protect the user. The company is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse, so we can’t do certain things.”


    Facebook, gmail, and many other websites already do this. They keep track of what you click on in order to better target advertising.
    Yeah, they're "protecting the customer," until a big check gets flashed at them. I have 0 faith in a company to protect my privacy when money becomes a real factor.

    As for that second statement: That is why you'll find nothing but my name and birth date on my Facebook account. It's also why I gave up Android, have nothing to do with making a Google account, and use no Google-owned services (no more Android and never used GMail, and deleted Chrome shortly after first installing it) except YouTube, when necessary.
  10. smoledman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    955 Posts
    Global Posts
    981 Global Posts
    #10  
    It's like Microsoft marketing is trying to ruin the company as fast as possible.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    As for that second statement: That is why you'll find nothing but my name and birth date on my Facebook account. It's also why I gave up Android, have nothing to do with making a Google account, and use no Google-owned services (no more Android and never used GMail, and deleted Chrome shortly after first installing it) except YouTube, when necessary.
    Well, at least you're consistent!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by curseoftheninja View Post
    Well, at least you're consistent!
    Oh, yeah. I spread my paranoia with reckless abandon.
  13. #13  
    1st, I never have liked ARS Technica as I find many of their articles extremely biased, same with most tech blogs though ;(. In any case, I'm sure they will advertise on it, and I'm sure PS4 will do the exact same thing.

    I will say though, so far, MS PR for the Xbox one has been awful. Good thing they got rid on Mattrick as he clearly screwed up the launch of the product. I mean seriously, even though it is a little less powerful than the PS4, so was the 360, so that wouldn't have made much of a difference. Personally, I liked the older DRM system they had because thye were basically trying to do a steam-like model for the store, and as a steam user, I Liked it. The problem was that 1) I don't think console gamers were ready for it, its clearly a different market than PC gamers so they should have attacked it differently, and 2) the PR was awful. I personally don't see the xbox having to be connected to the internet as an issue as mine is always connected to it anyways, but then to go and say "well you can buy an Xbox 360" as an answer was awful PR.

    Hopefully if they play their cards right, they might be able to do well, but MS main weakness, still, is marketing...
  14. pechio's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    Oh, yeah. I spread my paranoia with reckless abandon.
    It's not paranoia Is Your Cable Box Spying On You? Behavior-Detecting Devices From Verizon, Microsoft And Others Worry Privacy Advocates
  15. #15  
    I didn't say that I considered my paranoia unwarranted or unbelievable.
  16. TheSuperShoe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #16  
    I'm really hoping that Microsoft is just getting the negative things out of the way first. Then near launch, just have good press. A "make them hate us for the bad stuff, let them forget, then drown them in good news" model.
  17. #17  
    They just threw in a free headset...that was something they said wouldn't be included earlier ($5, yeah! haha)
  18. michfan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    105 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSuperShoe View Post
    I'm really hoping that Microsoft is just getting the negative things out of the way first. Then near launch, just have good press. A "make them hate us for the bad stuff, let them forget, then drown them in good news" model.
    I thinks it's been more about getting the bad executives out of the way first.
  19. smoledman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    955 Posts
    Global Posts
    981 Global Posts
    #19  
    As long as the ads aren't in my face and forced to be there for like 30-60 seconds(Hulu Damn you!), I don't care.
  20. #20  
    The reason I care is how Microsoft is charging people more and putting little inconveniences everywhere. We have to buy the Kinect, making the console $100 more than the PS4. The controllers are going up $10. The Play & Charge is going up $5. The generic headset is going up $5 (when purchased separately). They put EVERYTHING behind the Xbox LIVE Gold paywall, which is also $10 more than PSN+. On top of charging their customers more than the competition, they then have to litter their nice-looking dashboard with ads to boot? Now they're using the Kinect to shoot ads at us?

    This is the kind of stuff you expect from Facebook. It's also the kind of stuff people get mad at Facebook for.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2014, 11:00 PM
  2. How Sony Screwed Things Up w/ Kinect
    By blzr409 in forum XBOX ONE
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 09:30 AM
  3. Recommendations for best camera settings?
    By wolf1891 in forum Nokia Lumia 928
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM
  4. Little disappointed in the Indianapolis MS Store
    By mase123987 in forum General Microsoft News and Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2013, 10:02 PM
  5. Find a new Sms Backup solution I dont know it is correct ?
    By suresh geens in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 10:39 AM

Posting Permissions

B