Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 171
Like Tree51Likes
  1. vovakyan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
       #1  
    Hello everyone. This topic was so important that I decided to create an account and my first thread. I know many of you are disappointed with the new DRM, and so was I. That is why I cancelled my preorder. I think we were all caught in the squeaking wheel getting greased dilemma, and now we need to take action of our own. I hope everyone that liked the original DRM, and was compelled to preorder the XBOX ONE decided to cancel it, like I did. This is the letter I sent Microsoft. If anyone wants to see, I can provide my cancellation email. I am not a PS troll, I was a MSFT fan as the following letter shows. Help support the movement and get everyone you know to cancel. We should not be bullied by the ignorant.

    Dear Microsoft,
    As a supporter of your new ecosystem, I am deeply saddened and shocked at the changes you made to your DRM policy for the XBOX ONE.

    I am an owner of a Windows 8 Desktop, Surface RT, and the Lumia 928. As an Aerospace Engineer working for the DOD, I saw the potential in all of your new products. I was also glad that you were not folding to all of the pressure of people that want to live in the past. It is a sad day that you have decided to give in. All of the whiners and complainers that will still complain have won, and all of your true supporters were ignored. I made the decision to preorder an XBOX ONE because I saw all of the negative and false news coming out from people that did not and would not give it a chance; that was the very reason I supported you with my pocketbook. Just as with the purchase of the Surface RT. Now that this seems like the way Microsoft will be going, maybe I should sell my stock in the company. Why would you be competing with a company like Sony on its way down and out? Isn't the path innovation and the future, not the past? Look at what Apple has accomplished by creating its own path.

    This is the reason I have cancelled my preorder. I will not buy an XBOX ONE. I will most likely not buy another windows product and I will sell my shares in Microsoft. Why would anyone want to walk up to their console and change the disk when they want to change the game? Why would people not want to share their games digitally? I hope you are glad racing Sony to the bottom.

    Did you ever wonder that maybe it was people that just needed something to complain about and there was actually nothing wrong with your DRM. Yes, maybe you are selling more now because of all the hyped up publicity, but be aware that it won't last when the true believer realized what they lost. Look at all the forums of people shocked by the changes you made, which are more than the original group of whiners. I hope that your decision is augmented or reverted so I that one day I might enjoy an XBOX ONE. Thanks for your time.

    V/R,
    Vovakyan

    EDIT:
    I want everyone to understand that I loved the original concept including the following abilities: Multi-media, the new windows eco system, sharing games, buying disks and just using them to install, and all of the original DRM policies. Microsoft took a step back, and I will stop my support.
    Last edited by vovakyan; 06-20-2013 at 05:12 PM.
  2. stmav's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,685 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    #2  
    Thanked by:
    Jazmac, Blu3V3nom07 and FinancialP like this.
  3. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,523 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,524 Global Posts
    #3  
    So basically we're back to square one, only the ones whining now are the ones who liked the DRM. Funny how things turn out sometimes...
    MerlotC likes this.
  4. ncxcstud's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    922 Posts
    #4  
    stmav - he's cancelling his pre-order because MS dropped their DRM... the title of the thread is a little confusing....
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

    Jazmac likes this.
  5. aovakyan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #5  
    I think that we all liked the DRM that MSFT had and didn't think that they would reverse their decision so quickly. I think the people that were initially complaining were not going to buy it anyways and MSFT didn't help themselves because they didn't try to explain and defend. They should have given it time and allowed the first back of the XBOX ONE to go out and see how people liked it before doing this complete 180 with that said I will still keep my pre order!
  6. mister2d's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    384 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncxcstud View Post
    stmav - he's cancelling his pre-order because MS dropped their DRM... the title of the thread is a little confusing....
    I call this post fake. Too many unlikely things in it.

    -Aerospace Engineer for the DoD
    -Threatening to sell shares of MSFT
    -Getting caught up in the drama

    Sounds more like a disgruntled fan inflating an image.
    Thanked by:
    fpostrow and mtry like this.
  7. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,117 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,142 Global Posts
    #7  
    Reopened after talk with OP.
    Last edited by HeyCori; 06-20-2013 at 04:27 PM.
  8. vovakyan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
       #8  
    Thanks.
    Thanked by:
    HeyCori likes this.
  9. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    923 Posts
    #9  
    Lol, the outrage!!! The sky is falling!!!

    No matter what Microsoft does, someone has to complain about it.
    Thanked by:
    DavidinCT, Jazmac and Blu3V3nom07 like this.
  10. vovakyan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
       #10  
    What facts do you base your judgment on. I do work for the DOD, I graduated from a reputable engineering school (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo), and when you see the company you saw potential in making knee-jerk decisions maybe it is time to sell. Do you want to see my cancelation receipt. I just believe that the ignorant are controlling the intelligent. This was the case here.
  11. vovakyan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    Lol, the outrage!!! The sky is falling!!!

    No matter what Microsoft does, someone has to complain about it.
    Well the whiners got their way and now there will not be innovation in this generation. I wasn't complaining before because they were doing the right thing. And it's not just a complaint because I did cancel my order.
  12. VidJuhEffex's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    #12  
    I have yet to cancel my order but I did write MS a letter as well last night. The DRM didn't bother me (I have worked on two AAA titles so of course I want developers to get paid) and I was looking forward to family sharing, no disc changing, giving away digital licensing, having a roaming library etc.

    I preordered a console at $499, yesterday they removed easily $100 worth of features because of whiners and idiots stuck in the past.

    I've asked to see what they will do to make it up and I'm waiting a bit but will probably cancel the preorder and wait a bit for the next gen. Now that it's between the 360 2 and the PS3 2 I am in less of a rush/less excited to pick one up at launch.
    LeLee092 and testement like this.
  13. marcomura's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    210 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by vovakyan View Post
    Hello everyone. ...
    EDIT:
    I want everyone to understand that I loved the original concept including the following abilities: Multi-media, the new windows eco system, sharing games, buying disks and just using them to install, and all of the original DRM policies. Microsoft took a step back, and I will stop my support.
    Sure... you are one of a 10,000.
    I think MSFT is better listening to the other 9,999 (which includes me (shame on me I don't distinguish myself like you))
  14. vovakyan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by VidJuhEffex View Post
    I have yet to cancel my order but I did write MS a letter as well last night. The DRM didn't bother me (I have worked on two AAA titles so of course I want developers to get paid) and I was looking forward to family sharing, no disc changing, giving away digital licensing, having a roaming library etc.

    I preordered a console at $499, yesterday they removed easily $100 worth of features because of whiners and idiots stuck in the past.

    I've asked to see what they will do to make it up and I'm waiting a bit but will probably cancel the preorder and wait a bit for the next gen. Now that it's between the 360 2 and the PS3 2 I am in less of a rush/less excited to pick one up at launch.
    If they change their policies, I will open my wallet and pull out my credit card. I do not understand what people think they have won. The only people that won this situation is the military. While I understand their situation, I do not believe it should stop progress.
    I might end up building my own gaming/multimedia box and just hooking that up for what I need.
  15. vovakyan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcomura View Post
    Sure... you are one of a 10,000.
    I think MSFT is better listening to the other 9,999 (which includes me (shame on me I don't distinguish myself like you))
    I bet your numbers are off. When you get the real numbers please present them. A lot of people are baffled like me, and I took it to the next step hoping other will to so there is change.
  16. _Emi_'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    #16  
    Honestly.. i dont even like why Microsoft is doing this the console isnt out. people dont know how the DRM stuff Works, and if there would be a problema with a 24 hour check. people always adds the stupid "IF" (i dont have internet) (take my Xbox to holidays) (IF blabla).

    so its stupid to take away something for those idiots who probably werent going to buy Xbox one. still people will make excused like, "but it has Kinect and it will spy me" "PS4 is cheaper" etc etc etc. doesn't Microsoft understand sometimes you have to let it go to make your vision come true? imagine a lot of inventors or like physicists, scientists, etc etc, dropped their inventions and theories only because people weren't accepting them so much? imagine if my favorite physicist and mathematician Isaac Newton, didn't do all his work because he was afraid of criticism and opposition. it would have been a different history.

    I cant blame Microsoft though, Im sad they took that decision, but if you are behind ignorant share holders, stupid journalism calling Microsoft failure and they aren't important anymore, or/and apparently consumers-- stupid people who think "Ballmer should go and Gates should come back" "Windows 8 is not for real work" "windows 8 is a failure" (even though it has sold 100m). "xbox one fail" "google docs are better than office" and million of examples... I guess Microsoft behind all that has to take these stupid decisions.
    some people will say they didn't explain well blabla.
    but what else they wanted to say? people really don't hear what they don't want to hear and don't see what they don't want to see. and most people didn't want to understand why 24 hour check, how sharing would have been really cool, and physical discs were just a way to play games tied to your account (like steam) but without the need of waiting hours for the download to complete. and Microsoft was giving you the right to still sell your game and share and lend your games! even if it was tied to your account.

    so while im sad for MS decision, you cant blame them for having opposition and criticism and then trying to make money (because that's their job) to please alot of people around the world (like a prostitute), so they have to take care about their stock and company... AND then bringing some innovation is in the last priority spot. But while I respect your view, and if there were alternatives to Microsoft I would try to look somewhere else, because they are trying to innovate but still going backwards in other places like windows 8.1. But all I can hope is Microsoft doesn't do this often... because it would really affect users who really like using their innovations and try to see the MS vision.
    Thanked by:
  17. xboxonthego3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    559 Posts
    #17  
    To the OP. I still think there might be fast game swaping between games. They never said they wouldn't sell digital copies anymore. So you shouldn't be required to use a disc if you buy digitally. The only feature we really lost from what I can tell is the 10 family game share.
    Thanked by:
  18. EchoRedux's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    139 Posts
    #18  
    "I will most likely not buy another windows product and I will sell my shares in Microsoft."

    Sorry, you seem childish, throwing a tantrum because you didn't get what you wanted. If anyone employed at Microsoft sees this letter, I doubt you will persuade them even the slightest because you do not come off as a rational writer.
    DavidinCT likes this.
  19. vovakyan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
       #19  
    EMI,

    I agree with everything you say. Hopefully, they don't cave in on the start button. I have a start screen, I don't need a button.
  20. vovakyan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoRedux View Post
    Sorry, you seem childish, throwing a tantrum because you didn't get what you wanted. If anyone employed at Microsoft sees this letter, I doubt you will persuade them even the slightest because you do not come off as a rational writer.
    I had to write that in 5 minutes over the Microsoft store chat. If you can do a better job please go ahead and help. And I explained later on why I would be selling my shares.
  21. vovakyan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxonthego3 View Post
    To the OP. I still think there might be fast game swaping between games. They never said they wouldn't sell digital copies anymore. So you shouldn't be required to use a disc if you buy digitally. The only feature we really lost from what I can tell is the 10 family game share.
    You will not be able to buy a game and then go digital like before, which gives you way more options, and you were still going to be able to sell it.
  22. EchoRedux's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    139 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by vovakyan View Post
    I had to write that in 5 minutes over the Microsoft store chat. If you can do a better job please go ahead and help. And I explained later on why I would be selling my shares.
    Your response was that Microsoft made a knee jerk reaction, whereas anyone with business sense sees it at Microsoft responding to the consumer. Anyone checking out Forbes, NBC, ABC, Verge, Gizmodo, IGN etc etc all saw outrage with thousands of thousands of posts all showing displeasure, mainly over the 24 hour check in requirement. I've only seen maybe a dozen or so angry at the reversal of the DRM policy and almost all of them have appeared on microsoftnews.com and here at wpcentral. The people have spoken and the majority won.
  23. xboxonthego3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    559 Posts
    #23  
    That is true. For myself I am going to buy digital copies as much as I can. So I think I'll be alright. I wish they would of been wiser with their decision. I believe their was a better comprise they could have come up with to please both sides of the argument.
    Thanked by:
  24. rhodri22's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    #24  
    I don't really understand the OP. You're selling stock because MS made a decision based, I'm sure, on feedback from their focus groups and marketing departments. The decision to drop DRM won't impact the way the console works, any of the new game play options or cost. In essence, they've simply made the console more appealing to a wider audience, and frankly as a stockholder you should be happy about that as it would result in greater sales, therefore greater profits and a potentially better dividend.

    Also this decision has no impact on any future decision, as it was influenced by the same people who have influenced recent MS products. If MS made kneejerk reactions to responses from the public I'm fairly sure that Windows Phone would have died ages ago, Windows 8 would not be introducing 8.1 but an updated Windows 7 or XP, and the Xbox would have never entered a second generation. To put simply, Microsoft will back anything to the hilt that they know is a better solution but practical. By forcing these DRM measures at this time might be the future, it's not practical while a large proportion of the target market aren't able to use it, either because they have poor internet or no internet at all.

    Microsoft cannot afford for the Xbox One to flop especially when it's a core part of their three screens and a cloud vision of the future. Why risk that future?
    Thanked by:
    eric12341, 11B1P, camptime and 3 others like this.
  25. MerlotC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    148 Posts
    #25  
    I'm glad they made the change even though I was personally fine with drm and looking forward to some of the digital features. There was really no reason for MS to continue to push digital though and a very good reason (sales) to give in to the vocal majority (yes majority). In the end, drm or not has very little to do with why I want the One. Games, 300k servers for LIve/cloud, snap, hdmi pass through, Kinect 2, those are the real features....and those haven't changed
    Thanked by:
    testement likes this.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. AT&T cancelled my online order
    By Beck.bear in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 12:05 AM
  2. AT&T cancelled my 920 order with no reason..
    By Beck.bear in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 09:59 PM
  3. I've decided on the 810 and so should a lot of you..
    By jkrc717 in forum Nokia Lumia 810
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 11:47 AM

Posting Permissions