Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67
Like Tree16Likes
  1. IN5TIGATOR's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
       #1  
    They should make the Kinect edition 499, and the regular one 399. That way, all the pricing controversy MS created is gone.

    Speech - Download Now | OS-Integrated Personal Assistant | Featured On WMPoweruser!
  2. MacDaMachine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    286 Posts
    #2  
    But they really don't need to do that.
  3. ncxcstud's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    839 Posts
    #3  
    And then fragments the user base and torpedoes MS intentions for the future and Kinect's place in that future. It won't happen. I think there is a greater chance of MS dropping the disc drive then the Kinect.
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

    Thanked by:
    MastrMeatWad likes this.
  4. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,935 Posts
    #4  
    That would be a short term benefit and long term detriment.
    Thanked by:
    MastrMeatWad likes this.
  5. paulxxwall's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    482 Posts
    #5  
    I'd buy one with out Kinect no game I like. Thas coming out uses Kinect bf4,killer instinct,cod,nba14
    so I would be saving 100$ towards better internet or accessories I do use
  6. paulxxwall's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    482 Posts
    #6  
    Ms doesn't want hundreds of Kinects sitting in warehouses cause they now that's what would happen or they would have sold it separate
  7. wolfgangjr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #7  
    Sorry guys but forcing the xb1 to come with Kinect will finally get developers to make good use of it other than weak games as on xb360s version. You separate the Kinect then you end up with crap games again.

    You may not like Kinect but there are many households that make good use of it. I would love to see an avengers battle for earth 2 that uses the next Kinect. I bet the experience would be much better.

    And please don't start with the loons and Kinect being a spying device. People post their lives on Facebook everyday which reveals a ton more than the Kinect.

    Now. With that being said they really need to get close to the PS4 pricing to compete. Especially with the new restrictions.

    My 2 pennies. No trolling please.
    budney, ninjaap, sueha and 1 others like this.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncxcstud View Post
    And then fragments the user base and torpedoes MS intentions for the future and Kinect's place in that future. It won't happen. I think there is a greater chance of MS dropping the disc drive then the Kinect.
    I don't think losing the Kinect would be any greater a travesty than the RAM requirements on Windows Phone. If Microsoft is fine with cutting out half (or more) of the user base from games if their phones have 512 MB of RAM, I don't see why they are so hell-bent on pushing the Kinect. It really confuses me a little.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangjr View Post
    Sorry guys but forcing the xb1 to come with Kinect will finally get developers to make good use of it other than weak games as on xb360s version. You separate the Kinect then you end up with crap games again.

    You may not like Kinect but there are many households that make good use of it. I would love to see an avengers battle for earth 2 that uses the next Kinect. I bet the experience would be much better.

    And please don't start with the loons and Kinect being a spying device. People post their lives on Facebook everyday which reveals a ton more than the Kinect.

    Now. With that being said they really need to get close to the PS4 pricing to compete. Especially with the new restrictions.

    My 2 pennies. No trolling please.
    I don't buy that there wasn't enough quality games with the first Kinect for the reason that not enough people had one. I really think the issue was more the quality of the device itself, which was poor. I honestly do not know of any game with a better concept that can appeal to both children and adults well than Kinect Disneyland Adventures (beyond a Disney World-based follow-up). Dragon Ball Z was another one that could have been great for some (though I think that with having that show end 15+ years ago, the timing might not be right). There really were plenty of great CONCEPTS for the first Kinect, but there just wasn't good-enough hardware to support motion gaming, and that's why it ultimately failed, in my opinion. It couldn't handle casual games with its intense lag and tendency to lose where you were, let alone fast-paced titles that are the big-ticket franchises, such as Halo.

    I would honestly rather be able to have it proven to me (and not from an on-stage presentation, but through personal experience) that this new Kinect is going to solve the input lag problems. I think it would be preferable to have a $400 model without the Kinect for that reason, some simply do not trust the Kinect yet. I would be willing to do as they did the first time, have a bundle without the Kinect, then make the standalone product $150. If it proved itself capable, I'd pay the extra $50 at a later time, but only if the technology is proven to be orders of magnitude better than before, as they claim it to be.

    I'd be extremely frustrated and disappointed if I was required to shell out an extra $100 for something I am tentative on like this if I want my console, only to find out it still isn't viable for gaming because of the same problems as before. I mean, it's one thing to annoy people with this required bundling, but how bad will it be if a bunch of people are pissed off because the thing can't do what they expect it to when they bought it? I know I'd be disgusted if I learned I was being required to tack on the purchase of something that doesn't even work for me.

    Now, that's not to say it WILL happen, or I EXPECT it to happen. I simply hope that if Microsoft is going to go this route, then this Kinect is top-notch and without flaws, because forcing it on those who want the console when it's sub-par is going to go over very badly.
  10. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    944 Posts
    #10  
    Kinect wont cost Microsoft anything like $100. Id be surprised if it added anymore than $20 to the cost of the hardware.
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express
  11. IN5TIGATOR's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    Kinect wont cost Microsoft anything like $100. Id be surprised if it added anymore than $20 to the cost of the hardware.
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express
    just buying a Kinect now costs 50, with all of the new updates in the One version it would be 100..

    Speech - Download Now | OS-Integrated Personal Assistant | Featured On WMPoweruser!
  12. wolfgangjr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #12  
    Keith. I understand your point but still believe that something is not forced if its part of the system. Its integrated deeply now so will have to see if It was worth the gamble.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangjr View Post
    Keith. I understand your point but still believe that something is not forced if its part of the system. Its integrated deeply now so will have to see if It was worth the gamble.
    It's a little tough for me to buy into the idea of "deeply integrated" with this thing. It mostly functions EXACTLY as the first one did, taking use input for voice commands or motion controls. The only addition is that the console apparently needs the Kinect plugged in to POST. After that, there's supposedly the ability to completely power the device down. So, it's not really "deeply integrated," it just has a plug-in requirement to turn the console on, after which it can be completely ignored. To me, "deeply integrated," would be what the controller is to the console, or what both the mouse and the keyboard are to a PC. They are the primary methods of input, and not having them present makes even the most basic functions extremely cumbersome.
  14. Mocah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    I don't buy that there wasn't enough quality games with the first Kinect for the reason that not enough people had one. I really think the issue was more the quality of the device itself, which was poor. I honestly do not know of any game with a better concept that can appeal to both children and adults well than Kinect Disneyland Adventures (beyond a Disney World-based follow-up). Dragon Ball Z was another one that could have been great for some (though I think that with having that show end 15+ years ago, the timing might not be right). There really were plenty of great CONCEPTS for the first Kinect, but there just wasn't good-enough hardware to support motion gaming, and that's why it ultimately failed, in my opinion. It couldn't handle casual games with its intense lag and tendency to lose where you were, let alone fast-paced titles that are the big-ticket franchises, such as Halo...
    It becomes an expensive risk to R+D high-end motion games for a device that doesn't have many buyers, yes? Perhaps that's why those concepts never came to fruition. If you've watched any of the Microsoft Research videos, you'll notice that they themselves use Kinect (first gen) pretty much all the time to accomplish some impressive things. Granted, they aren't running consumer firmware, but it does show it probably had capable hardware.

    Game developers aside, I do think this next generation of Kinect hardware is much improved.
  15. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    944 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by IN5TIGATOR View Post
    just buying a Kinect now costs 50, with all of the new updates in the One version it would be 100..
    To sell as a peripheral I completely agree, it would cost $100 or so.

    Selling it stand alone, would lead to the hardware costing more (because you'd sell less of them), you'd have to factor in R&D, profit for Microsoft, and at least 50% markup for the retailer.

    Bundle Kinect with the console, and instantly its much cheaper, because you remove the markup, because there is already a markup of the console. Microsoft make little or no money on console sales, and lump the R&D costs in with the console. Therefore you end up with Kinect only really costing Microsoft the cost of the hardware
  16. paulxxwall's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    482 Posts
    #16  
    How is the new Kinect implemented in new battlfied4,
    How about killer instinct,
    How a bout NBA 14,
    How about the new halo,
    No need for Kinect these were new realeses new Xbox one releases and none of theses games not one uses Kinect so why do I need one.... I don't , dice knew us battlefield players wont need the Kinect so no implementation same for cod ,killer instinct a so on
    So my question to all is if they sold the Kinect separately would they sell? I say not well
  17. MacDaMachine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    286 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxxwall View Post
    How is the new Kinect implemented in new battlfied4,
    How about killer instinct,
    How a bout NBA 14,
    How about the new halo,
    No need for Kinect these were new realeses new Xbox one releases and none of theses games not one uses Kinect so why do I need one.... I don't , dice knew us battlefield players wont need the Kinect so no implementation same for cod ,killer instinct a so on
    So my question to all is if they sold the Kinect separately would they sell? I say not well
    Uh its used in Dead Rising 3 and Ryse. And you have no idea what DICE or 2K are doing either. 2K13 had Kinect integration for voice.
    Thanked by:
  18. EasilyTheBest's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    #18  
    Imagine skyping a family member or friend and it comes up on screen, sorry your friend is unavailable because their Kinect is unplugged.
    I love the idea of it always being there.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxxwall View Post
    How is the new Kinect implemented in new battlfied4,
    How about killer instinct,
    How a bout NBA 14,
    How about the new halo,
    No need for Kinect these were new realeses new Xbox one releases and none of theses games not one uses Kinect so why do I need one.... I don't , dice knew us battlefield players wont need the Kinect so no implementation same for cod ,killer instinct a so on
    So my question to all is if they sold the Kinect separately would they sell? I say not well
    1. You don't know that there is no Kinect implementation, simply because it was not demoed.
    2. I could give you probably 10+ possible functions for all of those games, in which the Kinect could be used.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by EasilyTheBest View Post
    Imagine skyping a family member or friend and it comes up on screen, sorry your friend is unavailable because their Kinect is unplugged.
    I love the idea of it always being there.
    I've actually supported the idea of handling ALL chat via Skype since it was acquired. In that instance, you'd simply send a voice-only connection to the person. That, or you send video and receive audio only. I mean, are you THAT devastated when someone misses your phone call that you think it would be better if phone providers forced those you call to answer the phone every time you tried to reach them?
  21. EasilyTheBest's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    #21  
    If I tried to get family on their X1 from my phone and each one of them had their X1 disconnected I think that would make one real rubbish system.

    It is frustrating when you try ring someone and their phone is switched off or they have no signal, I think everyone has been frustrated from that at one time.

    Your example of phone operators making you answer your phone is a terrible comparison. I am sure a lot of Windows Phone Central posters would agree.
  22. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by EasilyTheBest View Post
    If I tried to get family on their X1 from my phone and each one of them had their X1 disconnected I think that would make one real rubbish system.

    It is frustrating when you try ring someone and their phone is switched off or they have no signal, I think everyone has been frustrated from that at one time.

    Your example of phone operators making you answer your phone is a terrible comparison. I am sure a lot of Windows Phone Central posters would agree.
    How about instead of just saying "a terrible comparison," you state why? Both scenarios are your attempt to make a connection to speak with someone, with the hypothetical scenario being that the person would be unreachable. You want to fix one by requiring a connection be made, why not the other? You're just so used to phones not working that way and the availability of voice mail (something that Skype COULD have, mind you), that you automatically dismiss it as outrageous, in my opinion.

    As I said, both are basically missed phone calls. However, if you want a more-direct comparison, what happens if you try to Skype someone on the PC or a smartphone and the person doesn't respond? I imagine that's EXACTLY how the Xbox would react, and is that some egregious problem now? Or DOES it force a reply to call on Skype (never used it, so I don't know). I'm just wondering:

    1. How is it different (Skype from phone and Xbox Skype from non-Xbox Skype)?
    2. What's wrong with the suggestion I made of a voice-only connection (if the person has a mic)?
  23. EasilyTheBest's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    #23  
    So having all X1s not needing their kinects plugged in wouldn't make the Skype experience worse?
    Its obvious it would make it poor if 60% didn't even have theirs connected.
    If every single PC and every single phone had Skype and every console had it to that would make a superb communication tool. At the moment that scenario doesn't exist but one day it might and the X1 is the very start. Every tv may have Skype one day.
    What's the problem with Microsoft trying to reach that goal.
  24. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by EasilyTheBest View Post
    So having all X1s not needing their kinects plugged in wouldn't make the Skype experience worse?
    Its obvious it would make it poor if 60% didn't even have theirs connected.
    If every single PC and every single phone had Skype and every console had it to that would make a superb communication tool. At the moment that scenario doesn't exist but one day it might and the X1 is the very start. Every tv may have Skype one day.
    What's the problem with Microsoft trying to reach that goal.
    What's the problem with not wanting to use Skype? Does it not make the gaming experience worse when you are unable to buy another $60 game because you could only afford one at the moment after you had to spend an extra $100 to get a Kinect you don't want to use?

    More-importantly, I shouldn't have to plug in my Kinect that I don't intend to use because you want to use Skype any more than you should have to unplug your Kinect because I don't want to use Skype.

    My suggestion is to allow for choice based on preferences. Your suggestion is to force everyone into what you like and want.
  25. Watupfoo09's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #25  
    I think having the Kinect bundled was actually a smart move. Now that everyone has a Kinect it can become a priority feature and developers will add Kinect support in games, and more games will be developed because EVERYONE with an X1 will have one. The Xbox 360 Kinect failed because everybody did not have one. So when shopping for a game, gamers would just skip over the Kinect games on the shelf. Now even if you don't want a Kinect game people would actually look through them and may find something they like.

    Also playing the Kinect will be better on the X1 because the system was built for it. I own the original Kinect and I rarely use it. Now that it isn't a choice I will use it more and ma like it all over again. Also (even though I prefer a turtlebeaches) gamers playing games like COD would have no excuse not to talk, especially in league play when talking is almost required. Now every gamer would have access to a mic from day one and it will have to be plugged in to operate the X1. And the mic will be way better than the 360 kinect's mic.

    In my opinion I think people should stop complaining about the price, and how they don't want a Kinect when they never gave it a shot or even seen what it can do. Obviously being integrated in the system and not just an add on will make it a ton better than the original.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. So, who's getting an Xbox One?
    By Muessig in forum XBOX ONE
    Replies: 432
    Last Post: 11-29-2013, 08:46 AM
  2. Xbox One Apps - The missing piece
    By Robert Carpenter in forum XBOX ONE
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-11-2013, 03:04 PM
  3. Why I am buying an XBox One.
    By smoledman in forum XBOX ONE
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 07:46 AM
  4. BBC iPlayer needs an Xbox account???
    By GraemeT in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2013, 05:41 PM
  5. Do I need an Xbox to enjoy the Xbox LIVE games on WP7?
    By socialcarpet in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 05:23 PM

Posting Permissions

B