Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Is it important to you that your favorite console "wins?"

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It is important to me that it is the clear sales leader

3 6.67%
  • Yes. I want the "loser" to go out of business.

1 2.22%
  • No. I don't care who wins, as long as each sells enough to stay viable.

39 86.67%
  • No. It doesn't matter which wins. I will just go with whoever the winner is.

2 4.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

As the thread title says, do you care which console "wins"?

Why?

Option 3 is my answer. Innovation is driven by competition.
    Last edited by Vallos; 06-14-2013 at 08:21 AM.

to win over developers, yes. But right now, there is pretty much only 2 consoles to develop for. And Nintendo is in its own world. Its all about inhouse devs and Microsoft is winning in that front. To have more dedicated devs means better support for a console. If Nintendo can stay afloat this long god knows why theyre still alive, then Microsoft who runs not just xbox, but windows, windows phones, office, and surfaces, yea.. they'll be around for a long while. Microsoft isn't going to hand Sony the living in one generation.

Sony has survived simply by copying Nintendo and microsofts gameplans. It is the android OS of the console race.
    Nintendo should work exclusively with Microsoft. Think about the superior party games with Kinect 2. Nintendo could probably be top dog with their great games and Microsoft's software and networking prowess.

I want all three to be successful, and as long as they are successful, it doesn't really matter to me who is MORE successful.

Sure, "winning" will be fun to talk about and it will makes for nice banter that I will gladly participate in, but in the end it doesn't matter.

I'm not worried about Sony and MS staying successful this generation. I'm a little worried about Nintendo. They make stellar games, and my son and wife still LOVE the Wii.

Mario Kart Wii is still played in my home on a somewhat regular basis.

I selected #3. I'm an Xbox fan first, but I do enjoy some exclusives that the PS system has to offer, that's why I own a PS3 as well.

I'm first and foremost a Xbox fan. I had the original, love the 360 and plan on getting the XBOX One. But, I voted for the 3rd option. I want them all to succeed. I own a PS3 (which I'll be selling to offset the cost of the One ;)).

Eventually I'll get a PS4, probably about 3 or 4 years into it like I did with the PS3. Just so I can play some of those Naughty Dog exclusives that are bound to come.
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

Can't vote here, as my answer isn't an option. I don't care, but I also can't say that I hope both sell well or that I'll get the winner. Instead, I'll say that I care about the outcome, but not the winner. More importantly, I care about the journey, though. If Microsoft doesn't convince me otherwise, I vote for Sony, but will won't get a PS4, as it doesn't offer enough games that I really want. If Microsoft backs off of the total tomfoolery, I'll want Microsoft to win, and I might even buy an Xbox One.
    I cannot vote, since my choice would be, "I don't care, since I have no interest in game consoles and will not purchase any."

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    I really don't care who wins, Im still buying the One (as soon as the price drops), because I want it for its superior media capabilities.

Global Posts
    682 Global Posts
    I cared back in the day that the 360 was just coming out. At the time, I thought Sony made complete jerks of themselves over the PS3 and their "I'm just better than you" attitude toward both Microsoft and Nintendo, and that soured me out of ever buying one.

Nowadays? I'm not sure I really care what Sony does anymore, but their obvious spin on recent facts doesn't sit well with me either. Backwards compatibility on their new system for the few titles I found myself missing would have made me consider it. There's a few Japanese games I might have wanted to play, but it seems the devs for those games snub Nintendo just as much as Microsoft.

All I know is, all this fact spinning is gonna bite them in the rear end eventually. It usually does.

Microsoft seems to be taking the "tell it now, tell it all, tell it yourself" approach. For that, I say they have guts, and honestly, I think it's pretty dang obvious what they're bringing to consoles, and it's no secret why PC-gamers aren't as up-in-arms about all this. I'm excited to see if they pull it off, and if it succeeds, I generally think they'll force Nintendo and Sony into some competition that'll work out for everyone.

Nintendo, like with many of us, is nostalgic for me, and still manages to somehow bring out that sense of fun that makes you feel like a little kid in everything they put out. (How else could they run things? They've got Miyamoto in charge!) It's also pretty obvious that any competition between them and Microsoft has been on the friendly side. I kinda wish that they and Microsoft would work on some sort of joint-project some day, though I imagine Nintendo's dealings with Sony has scared them out of any joint ventures. :(
    Nope just focus on the PS4.
    The craziest member on WPCentral!

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!

Voted option 3 - while theres no love lost between myself and Sony - I refuse to buy anything produced by them after my 3 PS ones all broke the week after the warranty expired as did my PS2 as did my Sony Vaio laptop. I have got friends that are avid Sony and PS fans and the banter and competition between the two consoles has always been interesting and amusing.

Im going to be camped out for the midnight launch to get an xbox one and will be booking a few days off work too. Cannot f'kin wait.
    I would have voted no, since I primarily game on PC

This was a refreshing poll as the web is now filled with heated and humorous debate about which gaming platform is "better". It seems to me that the clear "winner" is the consumer and I voted #3 to reflect that sentiment . I'll be getting an XB1 eventually but I'm quite happy with the xb360 now so I won't be switching away from Microsoft. Yet I sincerely hope that all the platforms stay viable because they push each other to higher technical achievement; competition breeds excellence. I wish Ouya and Oculus Rift success as well and I can only imagine what gaming will be like in twenty years.
  16. _X_

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I would like all consoles to stay in business because they have only made each other better. However with MS recent decision I'm thinking I want PS and WII to win enough to have MS come back to their senses.

Competition leads to better prices, graphics, and games. I'm sure I am going to love the PS4 when it arrives on my doorstep.
    Thanked by:

nope. cuz PC is always the best
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    1,162 Global Posts
    Yes I want the XBox One to win because to me it represents innovation, while the PS4 represents stagnation and pandering.
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    Yes I want the XBox One to win because to me it represents innovation, while the PS4 represents stagnation and pandering.
    Pandering? If you want to say that Sony panders to people who don't want to go all-digital, all the time, you could easily say that Microsoft is using its check-in to pander to companies who want to mess with the used game market to benefit them. Every product and service panders, they just pander to different crowds.

Also, to say that everything Microsoft does is innovation, and all Sony does is stagnation is to completely ignore the facts. Sony is appealing to a wider range of people because of its policies and pricing. They don't need to innovate as greatly because of the fact that they have some things that Microsoft lacked this generation, and next, in some cases. Just a few examples:

1. Sony gives away free games to PSN+ subscribers, and has for some time. Microsoft is starting that on the 360 from July on, until the end of 2013. Sony will keep this going on the PS4.
    2. Sony allows for self-replaced storage, something Microsoft has never offered.
    3. Sony plans to use GaiKai to offer backwards-compatible gaming through that streaming service.
    4. Sony has a the better overall computing power this generation, and will again next generation, from a single-device standpoint (I know that the Azure servers change that up with the Xbox One).

Not everything Microsoft does is innovation. Not everything Sony does is stagnation. Even when what you say IS true, it does not mean that the innovation or stagnation is for the better or worse, respectively. Sony might be keeping its swappable hard drive feature from one console to the next, but that's because that stagnation is GOOD.
    Thanked by:
    I'm probably in a somewhat unique position, as I couldn't care less about either console directly. I don't enjoy console gaming. However, I do care about WP, and I'm convinced that a popular and successful (or better yet, dominant) XBO has the potential to drive WP to more market share as well. WP8 desperately needs more market share, so I'm in favour of anything that furthers that goal. For that reason alone, I voted in favour of the XBO becoming the sales leader.

Go XBO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    I don't think the PS4 represents pandering. Though I can see why you think that if you watched the E3 conference. The conference itself was full of pandering for the purpose of marketing.

But it's good that the PS4 is what it is. It represents a good alternative for people who aren't quite ready to fully jump into next-gen content delivery and control methods. The PS4 will ease them into it. They'll miss out on some coolness though.

I support MS more than any other "Brand", but would love to see another close console race like last gen. I remember the horror and depression after ps2 murdered my dear Dreamcast in its infancy, and swore to never buy another Sony product (which I still haven't, but not for that silly reason.. I was 16 at the time). I never want to see a company left to rot like poor SEGA again, so please lets not have another "winner". Best of luck to MS and Sony, may you both constantly fight for my hard earned money.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3earnhardt3 View Post
    I support MS more than any other "Brand", but would love to see another close console race like last gen. I remember the horror and depression after ps2 murdered my dear Dreamcast in its infancy, and swore to never buy another Sony product (which I still haven't, but not for that silly reason.. I was 16 at the time). I never want to see a company left to rot like poor SEGA again, so please lets not have another "winner". Best of luck to MS and Sony, may you both constantly fight for my hard earned money.
    I agree with you on that Microsoft is the only tech brand that I kind-of have loyalty to, from a gaming standpoint. I also agree that a close race can be beneficial to the industry. however, I'll say that it can be beneficial to lose a competitor as well. I've wanted Nintendo to give up the console race for years now. I hate seeing their games wasted on inferior hardware and miss out on key features. It'd be great if Nintendo went the way of SEGA (from a home console standpoint--I support keeping the handhelds around), and we saw games like Super Mario Bros. Super Smash Bros. Pokémon, Mario Kart, and Mario Party make it to the competing consoles (PlayStation and Xbox), along with their superior online services (PSN and Xbox LIVE, respectively). The Wii U has been a sales disaster, and that sucks. I think Nintendo would do well if they switched to publishing and developing games for the PS4 and Xbox One, but that's just me. Pokémon finally getting a Nintendo-made MMO on Xbox LIVE and PSN would be amazing. Mario Kart as the arcade racer to complement Forza and Gran Turismo would be stellar for all parties.

I have an interesting look at these sorts of things sometimes. I kind of like it when people are proven wrong... not the "I'm always right, haha, you suck" stuff, but more of the "You argued and debated until you were blue in the face... and convinced everyone else that they didn't want something simply because you didn't like it or agree with it. And you twisted things around to make it look worse than it is really was" kind of thing. Not always that drastic, you know, it can simply be because someone changed their mind when they used to be extremely vocal in opposition. I will jump for joy and take myself out to a fancy dinner if I ever hear of Keith Wallace playing a game with Kinect or using Kinect for media functionality

So I guess my answer is that I want both consoles to succeed, and for each to have their own unique edge in whatever way they have. I just would also like something big enough to happen for the Sony fanboy haters to kind of stop in their tracks. Maybe stop and think that there are people who like it and are able to use it and make it work for them without any problems. Realize that each system truly has its own unique benefits.

Still, I don't want Microsoft to all out dominate. Nor do I want Sony to all out dominate. The console wars get vicious, and I really don't wanna get insulted by people and lambasted for having an Xbox One. I want it to surprise all the naysayers who said it would never succeed, and I really hope Microsoft can continue to push their vision forward and actually turn the negative perception around (with many gamers) about the Kinect. It could lead to different ways of gaming, beyond the Kinect, on any system. I hope digital downloads of retail games on launch day go big, and it would be nice if prices started dropping because of it. We need competition. It would be a weird world for consoles if Microsoft hadn't stepped in, and maybe Sony would have slacked off. It's just like how Microsoft slacked off with Windows Mobile and then everybody stepped in and showed them that little league season was over.

Oh and Keith... the only thing I think of Sega when it comes to only doing games... is how they just kept trying to make reboot after reboot and remake of Sonic, their pride and joy, to try to win back everyone's hearts. It didn't really work. I imagine Nintendo would do the same thing with all the Mario stuff.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast