Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
Like Tree9Likes
  1. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,215 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,240 Global Posts
       #1  
    Very good detailed read. It doesn't answer every question about the internals but does a good job of evaluating what's inside.

    Spec Analysis: Xbox One | Eurogamer.net
  2. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,215 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,240 Global Posts
       #2  
    Leave it to Anandtech to take it to the next level.

    AnandTech | The Xbox One: Hardware Analysis & Comparison to PlayStation 4
    DavidinCT likes this.
  3. #3  
    And yet, nothing is mentioned about cloud computing performance...

    Surely 300,000 servers across the world won't give any significant advantage.... /s

    The only thing that will be a true credible comparison is when a game developer who has worked with both systems explains which system is better and why it's better. If a game developer says that one system allows them to do more, then that system is the better system. No excuses.
  4. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #4  
    Singling out games performance here. I think we could see a slight disparity between the two systems - The live worlds concept and MMMORPG's can easily be handled by all the cloud computing the Xbox One offers but I have a feeling for fast action racing games and maybe FPS the difference in the ram may be just enough to give the PS4 a slight edge. I don't think it will ever be a discernible difference but if you compared the games on a polygon and tflops count you will get more out of the PS4. Now that PC, Xbox One and PS4 are all running on the same architecture the question is will developers bother to optimise the multi platform games so that the PS4 gets the most out of them.
  5. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,240 Posts
    #5  
    The cloud computing will help with open and persistent worlds. It will also help if there is a lot of background information that has to be processed for a game.

    So a game like Fable (on steroids) would more easily calculate all the different results of your actions around your game world. Right now those results are minor because the XBOX can't take too much precious processing power to do that. But if it's offloaded to servers, you could have major changes for each and every action you take. You can have complex personality changes for NPC characters. It could be huge for game AI.

    Also, matchmaking could be going on all the time. The cloud could be continually analyzing who your best game matches are depending on playing style or skill. So when you're ready to play it will have your matches ready extremely quickly.

    The PS4 does have faster RAM. That's a fact. But the XBOX ONE does have that RAM cache that can make up for a lot of the speed difference. Not all of it. But most of it for games.

    In my opinion, the PS4's RAM speed difference won't really be seen unless we're dealing with 4k TVs. At 1080p, the XBOX ONE can still handle the speed of all the pixels on scene as fast as we need to see them.
    HeyCori likes this.
  6. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,478 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    #6  
    There's also the price difference of the RAMs used.. I believ what X1 uses is pretty much cheap as dirt, while the GDDR5 is apparently pretty expensive? At least this might offset some of the bundled Kinect price on the X1 compared to the PS4.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    The cloud computing will help with open and persistent worlds. It will also help if there is a lot of background information that has to be processed for a game.

    So a game like Fable (on steroids) would more easily calculate all the different results of your actions around your game world. Right now those results are minor because the XBOX can't take too much precious processing power to do that. But if it's offloaded to servers, you could have major changes for each and every action you take. You can have complex personality changes for NPC characters. It could be huge for game AI.

    Also, matchmaking could be going on all the time. The cloud could be continually analyzing who your best game matches are depending on playing style or skill. So when you're ready to play it will have your matches ready extremely quickly.

    The PS4 does have faster RAM. That's a fact. But the XBOX ONE does have that RAM cache that can make up for a lot of the speed difference. Not all of it. But most of it for games.

    In my opinion, the PS4's RAM speed difference won't really be seen unless we're dealing with 4k TVs. At 1080p, the XBOX ONE can still handle the speed of all the pixels on scene as fast as we need to see them.
    I just read somewhere that the PS4 does not support games in 4k. Only movies and other content. Could this be true?
  8. imZadok's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    #8  
    There is absolutely no chance that either console will support 4k gaming. It would require MUCH more power than either of these consoles possess.

    The PS4 looks to have a significant graphical power advantage on paper with 50% more GPU cores and, unlike last generation, should be easy for developers to utilize due to the familiarity of the architecture. Only time will tell just how much visual differences the horsepower disparity will lead to.

    I think the biggest battle isn't going to be which console is more powerful (which seems to be clear-cut), but rather which console supplies the best ecosystem and unique experiences for games, movies, and TV entertainment. I think Microsoft currently has the advantage here, but it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
  9. tinasious's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    There's also the price difference of the RAMs used.. I believ what X1 uses is pretty much cheap as dirt, while the GDDR5 is apparently pretty expensive? At least this might offset some of the bundled Kinect price on the X1 compared to the PS4.
    Lol. Its not cheap as dirt. I mean its cheaper than GDDR5 but the DDR3 on X1 is not the cheapest DDR3 available on martket. Also to make up for the bandwidth difference between GDDR5 and DDR3 MS has fast ESRAM on the die. The memory bandwidth on both devices should more or less be the same. The only difference right now is the Ps4 GPU clocks in at 1.8 TFlops and the X1 clocks in at 1.2. Ofcourse both of them have not officially released this info. This is just going by industry sources and rumors.
  10. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,478 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by tinasious View Post
    Lol. Its not cheap as dirt. I mean its cheaper than GDDR5 but the DDR3 on X1 is not the cheapest DDR3 available on martket. Also to make up for the bandwidth difference between GDDR5 and DDR3 MS has fast ESRAM on the die. The memory bandwidth on both devices should more or less be the same. The only difference right now is the Ps4 GPU clocks in at 1.8 TFlops and the X1 clocks in at 1.2. Ofcourse both of them have not officially released this info. This is just going by industry sources and rumors.
    Well, I guess there's "better and worse DDR3 as well", but DDR3 for PC at like 1333mhz is cheap.
  11. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #11  
    Also want to point out... the chipset in the Xbox One is constantly being compared in spec sheets and has been confirmed that it is 100% a new custom chip.
  12. MerlotC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    Also want to point out... the chipset in the Xbox One is constantly being compared in spec sheets and has been confirmed that it is 100% a new custom chip.
    Ya we really don't know that much about the actual performance of the chipset and I don't think the clock speed has even been officially announced has it (other than the old leaked spec sheet)?
  13. _Emi_'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    #13  
    comparing both consoles by specs alone, will obviously look better in paper on PS4 side.
    But in my opinion, Microsoft is spending 3 billion dollars in partnership with AMD for xbox one... is it logical that magically next PS4 chipset is going to be exactly the same as xbox one? I mean 3 billion dollars for AMD is like double their revenue! no? and they will just give the same chipset to every company asking for it with a game console? I don't think it will be like huge difference but it might be so optimized for the 3 OS inside xbox one that it might give an advantage over ps4.
    why would Microsoft spend so much money just to get the same as ps4? that really sounds not logical to me.
    so until they don't release an official spec sheet. and developers talk about what is better to work with and what is more optimized for them. or when (consoles are released) the same game is compared how it performs. that will be the day we will know if a console is better or not in power.
  14. travisel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #14  
    Game consoles this time around are very weak compared to PC, even Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 (GT3e) are = too PS4 & Xbox One!

    Sony & Microsoft are all about making money this time around so they give you basic 2013 graphics witch is better then 8 year consoles, so the average person wouldn't know the difference.
    ATIV S is LIFE
  15. MerlotC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by travisel View Post
    Game consoles this time around are very weak compared to PC, even Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 (GT3e) are = too PS4 & Xbox One!

    Sony & Microsoft are all about making money this time around so they give you basic 2013 graphics witch is better then 8 year consoles, so the average person wouldn't know the difference.
    Not weak at all compared to what you get for the same amount of money. You can spend more money on a graphics card alone than either console is likely to cost. Consoles have never had the raw processing power of a top end pc but being closed systems always out perform a pc of comparable specs.
  16. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #16  
    You can't compare consoles to PC's.... What games on PC look as good as gears of war while using the equivalent chipset and only 512mb of RAM? Consoles are much much more optimized.
  17. travisel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    You can't compare consoles to PC's.... What games on PC look as good as gears of war while using the equivalent chipset and only 512mb of RAM? Consoles are much much more optimized.
    "Gears Of War"? Your kidding right! Gears of war could run on WP8 platform almost = to Xbox 360 if they wanted too....Sorry very bad game to example.

    PS...When did Gears Of War ever look good? Playing console game's @720p @30fps you would say looks good? where my PC on 27" monitor @1440p @60fps no comparison.

    The only thing I see that consoles have over the PC is controllers'....this is where the PC lacks for now.
    ATIV S is LIFE
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by travisel View Post
    "Gears Of War"? Your kidding right! Gears of war could run on WP8 platform almost = to Xbox 360 if they wanted too....Sorry very bad game to example.

    PS...When did Gears Of War ever look good? Playing console game's @720p @30fps you would say looks good? where my PC on 27" monitor @1440p @60fps no comparison.

    The only thing I see that consoles have over the PC is controllers'....this is where the PC lacks for now.
    His statement was much more correct then yours. You don't seem to understand how much more a console can do with the same exact hardware.

    A PC has all sorts of different layers between the drivers and the other parts of the operating system. A console does not have a complex driver layer and on PC, this driver layer slows down the system a lot. It's not really noticeable to the user, but without this driver layer, the hardware can become much more powerful.

    The graphics in the Xbox One and PS4 are capable of much more power than most current PC builds. You do not understand enough about the console architecture and that is why you do not understand how powerful these consoles are.
    Thanked by:
    Reflexx and Villain like this.
  19. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by travisel View Post
    "Gears Of War"? Your kidding right! Gears of war could run on WP8 platform almost = to Xbox 360 if they wanted too....Sorry very bad game to example.

    PS...When did Gears Of War ever look good? Playing console game's @720p @30fps you would say looks good? where my PC on 27" monitor @1440p @60fps no comparison.

    The only thing I see that consoles have over the PC is controllers'....this is where the PC lacks for now.
    Did you even read before replying? at all?
    Reflexx likes this.
  20. James8561's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,032 Posts
    #20  
    for this gen: PC>PlayStation4>XboxOne>WiiU
    seems like that has always been the case. except that last gen the ps3 was too hard to program so often it's on par with the xbox360

    Quote Originally Posted by travisel View Post
    "
    The only thing I see that consoles have over the PC is controllers'....this is where the PC lacks for now.
    There are controllers for PC. There's an Xbox controller for Windows I believe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    A PC has all sorts of different layers between the drivers and the other parts of the operating system. A console does not have a complex driver layer and on PC, this driver layer slows down the system a lot. It's not really noticeable to the user, but without this driver layer, the hardware can become much more powerful.

    The graphics in the Xbox One and PS4 are capable of much more power than most current PC builds. You do not understand enough about the console architecture and that is why you do not understand how powerful these consoles are.
    Yes a PC has performance limiting APIs and drivers. But it often simply brute-forces its way through those.
    For example, a Core i7 3930K 6-core set up will own any and all console CPU and a Geforce GTX Titan will also own any and all console GPU. these chips are simply orders of magnitude more powerful than console hardware. and the best part is that every 2 years, the max power of the PC increase while that only happens every decade for consoles, Nintendo notwithstanding since they always use last-gen-level hardware. Also, as far as memory is concerned, the CPU I mentioned as 15MB of very fast on-chip L3 cache much faster than whatever SDRAM inside the xbox one. PC also can have up to 32 GB of the fastest DDR3 system RAM (almost 3 GHz) and 6 GB of GDDR5 graphics ram having 1.5x the bandwidth of the ps4 if you desire.

    So yes, current gen unreleased consoles are quite powerful. They are basically specialized PC well-designed for their task but the Personal Computer with its constantly upgrading hardwares and pure brute-force power will always stay on top sooner or later.

    PS: I forgot to mention. the xbox one has 2 operating systems. one specialized xbox os and a modified version of windows 8 running concurrently using a software layer. so there goes some of your software argument
    Last edited by James8561; 06-03-2013 at 04:16 PM.
  21. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #21  
    your not grasping it either... no one is saying consoles are going to be more powerful.


    and the Xbox One runs 3 OS's btw
  22. MerlotC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    #22  
    Technically its only one OS, a windows 8 core utilizing a virtual machine/Hyper V for the "other operating system(s)". But, like any console, the developers can still program directly for the hardware.
  23. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlotC View Post
    Technically its only one OS, a windows 8 core utilizing a virtual machine/Hyper V for the "other operating system(s)". But, like any console, the developers can still program directly for the hardware.
    whatever it is... Microsoft says it runs 3 OS's
  24. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by James8561 View Post
    for this gen: PC>PlayStation4>XboxOne>WiiU
    seems like that has always been the case. except that last gen the ps3 was too hard to program so often it's on par with the xbox360


    There are controllers for PC. There's an Xbox controller for Windows I believe.


    Yes a PC has performance limiting APIs and drivers. But it often simply brute-forces its way through those.
    For example, a Core i7 3930K 6-core set up will own any and all console CPU and a Geforce GTX Titan will also own any and all console GPU. these chips are simply orders of magnitude more powerful than console hardware. and the best part is that every 2 years, the max power of the PC increase while that only happens every decade for consoles, Nintendo notwithstanding since they always use last-gen-level hardware. Also, as far as memory is concerned, the CPU I mentioned as 15MB of very fast on-chip L3 cache much faster than whatever SDRAM inside the xbox one. PC also can have up to 32 GB of the fastest DDR3 system RAM (almost 3 GHz) and 6 GB of GDDR5 graphics ram having 1.5x the bandwidth of the ps4 if you desire.

    So yes, current gen unreleased consoles are quite powerful. They are basically specialized PC well-designed for their task but the Personal Computer with its constantly upgrading hardwares and pure brute-force power will always stay on top sooner or later.

    PS: I forgot to mention. the xbox one has 2 operating systems. one specialized xbox os and a modified version of windows 8 running concurrently using a software layer. so there goes some of your software argument
    Still incorrect. I don't think you quite understand how much performance can vary with a different setup.

    Your graphics card uses a PCI Express slot/bus. This system needs to be modular and needs to work with all different kinds of cards. I don't think you quite understand how much of a toll this takes on performance capabilities.

    Your RAM sticks use a Memory slot/bus. Once again, the performance is limited severely when compared to RAM that is soldered directly onto the motherboard.

    Every console and PC has software, so you did not justify any evidence against my software argument. What differs is what is needed/included in the different layers of architecture inside of the software. You cannot strip a PC operating system down as much as a console operating system is stripped down. There are software layers that are completely eliminated on a console, and these layers are impossible to eliminate on a PC.


    You are looking at every aspect by itself, and not at the system as a whole. Yes you are correct, every component in the console has a PC component that outperforms it. But the way the components work together and the way the actual electronic circuit is formed and travels is not able to be replicated in a PC.

    That's why it's referred to as the console's architecture.

    So let's bring in actual architecture as an analogy. You're comparing the strength of wood to the strength of steel. Of course steel is stronger. What I'm saying is that a wooden structure can be stronger than a steel structure depending on the design.
    Thanked by:
    Courtney S likes this.
  25. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,539 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #25  
    the 360 had a "lesser" GPU than the PS3 and most games you can't tell the difference. The reason why is developers have to make games for multiple platforms and they won't spend the extra dough to take advantage of the tweaks. The game Dishonored comes to mind. Graphically impressive but basically identical on both platforms.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 02:05 PM
  2. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-30-2013, 12:33 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 11:01 AM
  4. I returned and exchanged my phone for new one
    By Jomon in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 10:30 PM
  5. AT&T 2 for 1 Deal and What I did...
    By siradude in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions