- 03-26-2013, 10:02 AM #6
So, post update it seems that several of my songs are now listed as streaming. Not sure why. There is a noticeable increase in speed but menus can still take a split second to pop up. For example, swiping up from the bottom still takes longer than expected. Also, the jump lists takes a little bit of time to load as well. I'm guessing things are faster on more powerful hardware but I still think MS should design XM to work better on weaker hardware. Syncing playlists between the 920 and XM still seems to be nonexistent. Using the "Downloads" option under preferences didn't automatically pull in songs that I downloaded on my 920. Shame, because that would make my life so much easier. Fortunately, one issue I had has been addressed. You can now start a playlist from any song on the list and continue from there.
Overall, a solid update and the speed improvements are definitely welcomed. However, syncing issues still need to be addressed and I would love to see Microsoft get XM running better on the Tegra 3. Surface is their flagship RT device and it should be treated as such."Engineering is more than just the number of megapixels." - Stephen Elop
03-26-2013, 10:07 AM #7
- 152 Posts
Just got it first change noticed you can click on a letter and it will bring up the alphabet kinda like the wp8 but it will also show you how many artists you have under that letter. This was one of the big things I was looking for.
there is also a minimize button near the letters.
a little bit of instuctions have been added to explain the difference between cloud storage and streaming, and how music is added to xbox music
Instead of showing songs when you click on an artist it actually lists albums you have by that arists
by clicking on an album there there is now a match album info at the bottom of the screen.
there is also a drop down to select to see the music on this pc and on the cloud.
These are large improvements and some of my own biggest gripes.
03-26-2013, 10:13 AM #8
- 72 Posts
When I ran the update I guess I had all that cloud-BS turned on. So now my library is FULL of crap I maybe listened to once on my desktop PC and certainly (especially since meta-data organization exists in Xbox Music... oh wait) don't need cluttering my mobile device.
I turned all that off but everything is still in my library. Anyone got a fix?
(also what device do I need to delete stuff on for it to go away for ever? I once downloaded the free-episode preview of **** on wheels and it shows up EVERYWHERE, in xbox video, in zune. And it is no longer on any of my PC's or my xbox)
- 03-26-2013, 10:34 AM #9
03-26-2013, 10:52 AM #10
- 31 Posts
I saw that there was a new version of the Music app for Windows 8 (desktop not phone) and it now seems to have the ability to manage your cloud music collection. This has made managing my collection and what I want to see on my phone so much easier. They also added a bunch of new features related to playlists and other stuff.
If this is old news please ignore, but I didn't see anything about it here yet, so I thought I would share.
Tweet for Major Nelson about it: https://twitter.com/majornelson/stat...58537880924160
Seems the Verge has an article about it already: http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/41...i-improvements
Last edited by RockPaperBFG; 03-26-2013 at 11:04 AM.
- 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM #13
Does it still massively suck? I'm at work and can't fiddle with it
Master List Of Issues With XBox Music On WP8 - Microsoft Community
- Device only sorts albums by Name, not Date (WP7 devices sorted albums by date). Can we have an on-device option to choose? Any other sort options (i.e. sort by Album Artist) would also be very useful.
- Cannot delete entire folders on phone at once (i.e. delete an entire Album, Artist, etc.) – can only check off and delete individual songs. WP7 did at least allow for the manual deletion of complete albums, playlists, etc.
- Few, if any options, for Podcast management. Many podcast features stripped from WP7. Syncing Podcasts is difficult and often does not display in Podcasts section, similar to issues syncing with Playlists.
- Not possible to add Podcasts to the Xbox Music+Video hub by RSS url. Used to be able to add to WP7 using the Zune software.
- Podcast playback position forgotten by device when switching to any other app that uses volume control (i.e. YouTube).
- Occasionally volume control in Podcasts ceases to function (though continues to work in other apps that use volume), requiring a device reboot or other odd workarounds.
- "Connect with XBox Music"option in Settings: if ticked on, this option will often completely overwrite existing user-defined metadata (i.e. album name, artist name, artwork, track listing, etc.) with incorrect info, for instance the wrong artist, track names, etc. In some cases it is even splitting albums in multiple parts. There is no option to only fill in missing info, as there was in Zune with WP7.
(edit: more on this specificly at this thread)
- Even with "Connect with XBox Music" option ticked, Album/Artist Artwork often does not download where missing, or wrong artwork is downloaded.
- WP8 device does not recognize any metadata for Multiple Discs, Song Ratings, Release Date, etc from existing music collections. Albums with multiple discs display tracks in order of 1,1,2,2,3,3, etc. instead of 1,2,3,1,2,3, etc. WP7 usually correctly recognized all data, and accurately reflected (synced) metadata between device and PC.
WP8 Sync App - "Syncing" functions are very basic - virtually non-existent compared to the rich sync experience in Zune or even iTunes.
- No icon indicating if media is currently on device or not. Have to navigate all the way back to the home screen of the app and click on a whole different subset of folders to see what media is on your device.
- No manual syncing or management of Playlists. Cannot generate auto-playlists, like in Zune.
- No visible folder hierarchy in navigation.
- Very few options to actually manage media library.
WP8 Desktop App
- "Syncing" functions are very basic - virtually non-existent compared to the rich sync experience in Zune or even iTunes.
- Can transfer Playlists, but they show up empty on device.
- Can only transfer at Artist/Album level, not Song level.
- Nothing to indicate what media is already on device or not.
- Software needs to scan entire media library every time it is launched.
- If syncing to micro SD card, there is often a bug displaying multiple instances of the same song, even though there should be only one on the device.
- UI is totally spartan, lacks any sort of helpful options or organizational tools, such as seeing song ratings (or songs for that matter) and only syncing songs with positive ratings. Cannot use this software to manage actual media library on PC, alter metadata, etc.
- Cannot transfer subscription content from Zune Pass to WP8 device - understood this is because these two systems use different DRM, however re-downloading previous Zune subscription content through XBox Music is a nightmare. XBox Music downloads incorrect music, including tracks that were never part of user's library. It also downloads doubles of non-subscription DRM-free songs that are already on user's PC, as well as any songs that the user once had in their subscription folder even if they deleted them long ago.
- WP8 devices don't seem to understand the difference between locally stored content and subscription Cloud content in many instances - music player often stutters while searching for Cloud content, even though the content is stored locally on the WP8 device. Other issues include "unable to play" error messages for DRM-free content that should work.
- Cannot rate streaming XBox Music content.
- Sluggish delay (approx. 2 seconds) when navigating music library, skipping songs, loading songs, etc. on WP8 device.
- Huge lag when using Play Music (shuffle all) button on device (or generally when playing large numbers of tracks) - audio plays after 5-10 seconds, but actual device completely locks up (becomes unresponsive to all touch/hardware input) for 30-60 seconds before regaining responsiveness.
- When shuffling all (or, again, when playing large numbers of tracks), there is a delay (approx. 2 seconds) when skipping tracks.
- Performance issues seem to be made worse when music is stored and read off of expandable memory (making the addition of expandable memory options to WP8 a fairly useless feature). However issues are still present (to a slightly lesser extent) when reading music off of internal device memory.
- Note that NONE of these performance issues existed on WP7, even when playing the same large number of tracks all at once, and/or using the shuffle all function.
- 03-26-2013, 11:38 AM #17
That's all from a link on the Microsoft answers forum. The single most active topic actually, with 43 pages of responses.
And thanks for attacking me guys, appreciate it.
03-26-2013, 11:53 AM #19
- 50 Posts
I'm using the Xbox Music App right now and I like the update. You can now have Xbox Music scan your music collection automatically and manually by song and not just by album. However, Xbox Music still only matches songs that are only on Xbox Music. I wish it would match songs that aren't on Xbox Music or give you the option to upload it, especially since both Amazon, Apple and Google's music matching services allow you to do it.
03-26-2013, 12:08 PM #21
- 365 Posts
Am I wrong in thinking that it now pulls music from the sd card? I got a replacement surface and hadn't bothered redoing the VHD method to get my stored music to show up in the music app, but just checking now, it all shows up.
EDIT: Never mind, doesn't appear to work that way. I don't really get what it's doing. I think it's allowing me to stream through Xbox Music all the songs that are on my SD card. Somehow. When I put the surface into airplane mode, I can't play the songs. But it's showing me the albums I have stored on my sd card. So somehow that got saved into my settings and now I can stream those songs through Xbox music? I'm confused.
Last edited by dakranii; 03-26-2013 at 02:11 PM.
03-26-2013, 12:48 PM #24
- 2,227 Posts
Performance wise, the update is good! (not great just good) the app is now usable! I'm using it now actually!Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!
Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
Tablet: Surface for Windows RT