Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    The hard reset didn't work for me. I'm on with support now...

And I'm a paying customer. Have been for a while now. Not a free trial issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by busngabb View Post
    Microsoft are making another monumental mess of Xbox Music. I have now got this issue and its incredibly frustrating.

Its as if they didn't bother to do any testing, just rolled it out without a care in the world.

I would encourage anyone tempted by Xbox music to wait, don't sign up for the trial and do not under any circumstances pay for a music pass, it simply doesn't work.
    That's good advice for those aren't already subscribers... I have been for a while. Never had this issue when it was Zune pass. Hey Microsoft: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,410 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by busngabb View Post
    Microsoft are making another monumental mess of Xbox Music. I have now got this issue and its incredibly frustrating.

Its as if they didn't bother to do any testing, just rolled it out without a care in the world.

I would encourage anyone tempted by Xbox music to wait, don't sign up for the trial and do not under any circumstances pay for a music pass, it simply doesn't work.
    I've been a paying customer for about a year, and I agree. This is a complete unadulterated uncut train wreck!

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Quote Originally Posted by wsrobert View Post
    Have you updated to portico? I havent heard directly but maybe a patch was included in that. I was having the issue and it went away with the fix I noted above in this thread. Seems like people are also having success with forcing a sync with their microsoft account as well.
    My phone shipped with portico and I still encountered the issue.

I was having the same problem but discovered on accident that if I just go back to the song, after it gave me the error, it would start playing. Then I just had to do the same thing to next song.
    I don't know why but it fixed it for the songs and everything else I've added since.

This is exactly what happened to me and this music error sucks

Same issue for me.

I contacted MS support via chat who advised that it is an issue with Nokia phones only.

She tried a few things including getting me to 'sync' my microsoft account, and also deleted my subscription completely then sent me a 1 month coupon code for activation.

None of this worked and the only solution given was to perform a hard reset - which I was not going to do as there is no true backup for WP8 - only a basic download same apps again feature.

Like some others on this thread though, I waited a few days and it just started working again. My access stopped working on 2 Feb and my subscription was due for renewal on 3 Feb. It started working today 6 Feb so took about 4 days.

Best of luck to others and yet another reason why I can't recommend this service to others - will just have to keep waiting for Spotify.

I'm facing this issue right now. My 30 days free-trial ended on Feb/16, and I've renewed it last week. All downloaded music were invalid now. I don't want to Wipe the phone cause there're so many apps and games need to re-download, and the profile in the apps and games won't get backed up. Someone told me that it will auto fix in few days. So I'm just waiting it "works" again.

Fortunately, these downloaded xbox music valid now. (So it took 2 days on waiting them back.) Just wait, no Wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Ye View Post
    I'm facing this issue right now. My 30 days free-trial ended on Feb/16, and I've renewed it last week. All downloaded music were invalid now. I don't want to Wipe the phone cause there're so many apps and games need to re-download, and the profile in the apps and games won't get backed up. Someone told me that it will auto fix in few days. So I'm just waiting it "works" again.

I've started getting this error message today. My 30 day trial runs out tomorrow (23rd) so i decided to renew today so i wouldn't get any loss of service (ha!). Now I can't play any downloaded songs and it seems that the best thing to do is just wait and it should sort itself out?. I don't fancy resetting the phone. Hopefully it does sort itself out and quickly

Hi All,
    I did have exactly the same problem. Microsoft support solved it very rapidly.
    So I advise you to contact support and explain your situation. I choose to contact support using the chat service.
    Good luck!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pmeester View Post
    Hi All,
    I did have exactly the same problem. Microsoft support solved it very rapidly.
    So I advise you to contact support and explain your situation. I choose to contact support using the chat service.
    Good luck!
    Paul
    When you say they sorted it what did they do?

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Clone View Post
    When you say they sorted it what did they do?
    I'd love to know this as well. Went from trial to paid and can't play previously downloaded or newly downloaded music. Tried all the previously suggested methods to try and fix it, except hard reset. Currently on day 3 of the "waiting" solution.

I was able to get all my music to play properly by changing the date to two or higher days in the future, however it meant the Microsoft account wouldn't sync. Changing the date back to normal meant the problem immediately returned.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    This will be no help to those wedded to Xbox music, but I just wanted to let everyone know that there is an (arguably better) alternative out there in the form of Rhapsody. Their WP app was awful until a few weeks ago, but they just updated it and it is really fantastic now. Rhapsody also works with many, many more devices than Xbox music (like my TiVo and my Blu-ray player) so it's a better deal overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Biocelluloid View Post
    I was able to get all my music to play properly by changing the date to two or higher days in the future, however it meant the Microsoft account wouldn't sync. Changing the date back to normal meant the problem immediately returned.

So do you think in two days you will be back to normal?

Edit: just changed my date to a few days later still nothing, then changed it to a year later and still nothing

Going to get in touch with support later and see what they say.
    Last edited by Tainted Clone; 02-27-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Ended up get in touch with support last night (online), explained the problem, got transferred to another advisor who new more about zune.and DRM

They got me to restart phone and check that the date and time was correct, then sync the microsoft account in email and account settings. Downloaded a song and got the same message.

Then they said they were going to "pause" the subscription for a few minutes and restart it in the hope that it would refresh itself. Restarted phone, checked time/date and synced account again, still the same. Was then told that we only had one option left, a hard reset. So did the reset and when everything was back up downloaded another song and it played back fine.

So I am able to play music on the move again but had to redownload all my apps and obviously lost all the settings for them and any progress on games.

Hooray, my "Trial to Paid" DRM errors have ceased. After trying all the other "fixes" mentioned with no success and not wanting to do a hard reset, I just ended up waiting and finally after 9 days all my music plays again.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I'd like to point out that this issue isn't just about whether or not your Zune Pass/Xbox Music Pass is current. If you use the Windows Phone 8 Sync tool, the DRM gets screwed up on the WP8 device. Why do I know this? Because if you delete the track or album and download from the store directly to your device, it plays just fine. I emplore those that have issues like this, or this exact issue, please visit the Microsoft Answers forums (specifically this thread: Master List Of Issues With XBox Music On WP8 - Microsoft Community) and provide your comments. Do read the first post, and comment in the other threads it links to, and PLEASE do click on the "ME TOO" link a the first thread instructs.

Quote Originally Posted by asmith02 View Post
    Same issue for me.

I contacted MS support via chat who advised that it is an issue with Nokia phones only.

She tried a few things including getting me to 'sync' my microsoft account, and also deleted my subscription completely then sent me a 1 month coupon code for activation.

None of this worked and the only solution given was to perform a hard reset - which I was not going to do as there is no true backup for WP8 - only a basic download same apps again feature.

Like some others on this thread though, I waited a few days and it just started working again. My access stopped working on 2 Feb and my subscription was due for renewal on 3 Feb. It started working today 6 Feb so took about 4 days.

Best of luck to others and yet another reason why I can't recommend this service to others - will just have to keep waiting for Spotify.
    I think MS Support fed you a load of BS on this. The issue is not even phone related, it is directly linked to the music pass subscription and affects all devices - windows desktop, tablet and phone.
    My trial on music pass ended today and I have just run into the same issue on my desktop , tablet and lumia 920. Downloaded music no longer plays but streaming is fine. I suspect this is something to with a Microsoft batch process that they run to update trials to paid accounts, which is why some people are reporting the problem going away after a couple of days. I am going to sit tight and see whether this clears itself rather than focusing on phone resets etc. THIS IS NOT A PHONE ISSUE

So I have spoken to Microsoft support about this and they fixed my problem. All downloaded music is now playing fine on W8 and WP8.

I spoke through IM with their support team and they were excellent. They understood the problem, admitted that the conversion of a 1 month trial to the paid membership is the issue and asked for permission to cancel my current membership, which I gave. They then refunded the monthly fee and asked me to set up a new account 'after the next 30 minutes'. My phone details were taken and I was given a ticket number and sent an email confirming who I spoke with and that they will be looking into my account to get this fixed. 24hrs later everything is fine.

The service, in terms of clarity about what would happen next and the sense they were making a real effort to have me do as little as possible to resolve the issue, was first class. Really happy that this issue is fixed. My advice to anyone on a trial is to cancel it before it ends and take out a brand new paid subscription. If you already facing the issue contact xbox live support and they will fix it for you - and they are not pretending this is not an issue!

Well done Miscrosoft - I can live with glitches if the company I buy from are willing to do what they can to sort the situation quickly.
    I also got in touch with the XBox support people through chat. My free trial ended today (I was downloading and listening just fine last night)... and all of the sudden today none of my downloaded music would play. After reading these posts I contacted the support. I explained the problem and also referenced this thread (and the advice to wait a few days/that the problem seems to be with the subscription). They asked a few questions to get a better understanding, and then said they agreed it was a subscription problem and would cancel my current charges and I could renew once I saw the cancellation on my account. The turnover was really fast (about 10 minutes later I had a refund for the recent 1 month pass). I bought another one month pass and powered my phone off for about 3 minutes. Now everything works!!! All of my previous downloads work as well as new ones. The support I got was so great and I recommend this as the #1 solution for anyone having this problem, rather than just waiting it out (which probably works too, but is just annoying). I am very impressed with Microsoft's ability to address this problem quickly!
    Hi all,

I've been having this DRM issue for almost a week now - in my frustration I posted a new thread about it on the 18th, rather than searching for similar issues. I'll repost here what I typed up on the 18th:

I was trying to download a couple of albums on Tuesday night, and about halfway through, something went wrong; it stopped the downloads, said it couldn't access the store, and the tracks that did make it through wouldn't play - they gave me the good old media usage rights error (no error code). I am able to access the store now, but since Tuesday night I've not been able to play any of my downloaded XBM content. I can still stream, and, bizarrely, download. So I can download a track, but not play it. Brilliant.

After trying a soft-reset about four or five times to no avail, I spoke to live support yesterday, and the guy told me that it's because my free trial ran out. So I told him I've been subbing for over two years, since it was Zune Pass (and my sub simply carried over), and that I've had no problems since the first few days of my Lumia 920 ownership last November. Now, none of this is new to me, as I'm sure it's not new to anyone else. What is new (to me, at least) is how the support guy tried to solve the issue. He asked me to set the date to a week ahead, reset the phone, and then try and play my downloaded content. Amazingly, it worked. he told me to leave the date set to the (near) future for an hour or two, then switch it back and it should be fine, and the live chat ended.

I left it about three or four hours, set the date back to the 17th, aaaaand... no dice. It gives me the DRM error. Then I can set it back to a week ahead and it works again. WTF!? I tried a few more soft-resets, reboots, and messing around with the dates all evening yesterday, all to no avail. If I set the date one day ahead, it doesn't work. If I set the date six days ahead, it doesn't work. If I set the date three weeks ahead, it doesn't work. The phone will only play back the downloaded content if the date is set exactly one week ahead. What kind of sense does this make? Has anyone else had this issue?

So to today. I just got out of another live chat with support, and they told me that I need to give it a week for the issue to resolve. This means I can't access the store or get calendar/Me tile notifications for a week. On the plus side, according to my phone, today is my birthday. Where are all my presents!?

So, here's my question(s): Has anyone else experienced this date issue? And did it resolve by itself? I don't really want to factory restore my phone if I don't have to, but I also don't want to have a somewhat-useless phone for a week. I'm not sure what to do, and of course, there's no guarantee either path will actually work. Any ideas?

[Also, a quick question on the backup feature - I've never used it. What will be saved and what will I lose if I decide to backup and then restore the phone? I have a lot of images saved to the phone from the net (for lockscreen wallpapers and the like) - do they get automatically backed up, or would I have to manually upload them all to SD? Also, where do the backups go? Are they user-accessible?]
    Apologies for the wall of text, I really didn't feel like rewriting it all. In the days since, I've removed my Lumia 920 as an XBM device, then reinstated it, and now it won't play downloaded music no matter the date. I can still stream/download though. I've just read through this whole thread and tried the suggestions some other posters have offered, and they haven't worked. I don't know what to do really. I've had the date set back to the actual date for the last three or four days, as it's just a PITA to have no access to the store, not have my emails sync, not be able to use my calendar etc. But all the screwing around with the dates seems to have messed up my text messages as well - I get notifications for messages that don't appear in my inbox (forcing me to ask people to resend them), and I get notifications for texts that I've sent to others, texts are all out of sequence, it's a mess.

I still don't want to factory reset, so I'm waiting 'til tomorrow (when one week will be up), then if it's still not working, I'm getting back on support to (respectfully) complain. I don't really like complaining, but I'm paying money for a service I can't use properly.

Apologies for the massive rant, but I'm just so frustrated :(
    Back on live support chat... They're going to block my account for an hour and see if it 'refreshes'. If that doesn't work, my only option is a hard reset. I've been unable to use my sub for 9 days now!
    Right, I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but I thought I'd provide an update.

The step outlined in my above post did not work, so it was escalated to the engineer/tech/whatever team, who eventually informed me that it is a known error (thanks for that) and that the team are working on it. I replied asking if there was a chance a hard reset would not rectify the issue, and whether there was a timeframe for a fix. I just got this as a reply:

This issue should be resolved with a new update, which is coming soon but I do not have the exact date of it.

Doing a hard reset of the phone may not help in this situation. I am not 100% sure if this can help you, so I cannot suggest to do it.

We will be in touch with you as soon as we get more information regarding upcoming update and let you know about it.

If however you reset the phone, please let us know of the result.
    I guess this is all old news, but there you are.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast