Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

I thought this was a known thing with hacks already? Or is this something different cause sites are just now in the last day or two reporting of it? I'm so confused or ahead of the times lol. ��

Emulator Lets You Run Regular Windows PC Apps on Windows RT | Pocketnow was posted 1 day ago as of this thread date.

That'd be super useful for legacy software that's not supported anymore, like the app needed to program my universal remote.

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I guess it runs really slowly, though.
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

From what I've read it is in beta still and pretty much works with 32 bit applications so far. And well just read the story I linked to ��

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroplanetz View Post
    I thought this was a known thing with hacks already?
    No. The earlier hacks were to allow Windows RT to load desktop apps. But since the Surface RT uses an ARM CPU, those desktop apps had to be compiled for the ARM processor. So the desktop unlock hack is only useful to guys with the source code to their desktop app, a cross-compiler, and the knowledge to use that cross-compiler. This is probably the reason Microsoft locked down the desktop, to avoid this sort of confusion. Old-timers will remember Windows running on MIPS R3000's and DEC Alphas and will remember recompiling their apps for those CPU's, but younger or non-technical guys will just see the familiar desktop and not realize that it only looks the same...
    Thanked by: