Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Hi to all early adopters!

Just installed GDR3 preview on my Lumia 920. No wow effect so far, but I noticed one annoying bug or feature(?). When you go to phone storage-> temporary files and try to delete them the operation takes considerable time and if your phone screen happen to lock in progress operation is canceled. Tried to delete temporary files again tapping the screen for 5 minutes, then I got bored, screen locked again and the operation is canceled again. Pretty annoying!
    Ambassador

Global Posts
    3,041 Global Posts
    Maybe the fist time it takes longer?

I can make a custom wallpaper for you for no cost :) just hit me up & check my wallpaper thread - here
    My Comic Book - Its about Iphone 5s and Innovation Click here
    I've just disabled screen locking for the duration. It's still deleting, seems to be taking ages.

EDIT: Took about 5 minutes, doesn't seem to have deleted anything. Temp files were taking up 937MB before deletion, same thing now.
    Nokia Storage Check says temp files are taking up 292MB. I don't understand the inconsistency, but I'm guessing the one on MS side isn't even reading the data correctly. 1GB of temp files seems to be much too much...

Just tap the screen to prevent it to lock while still deleting files...

Same here, disabled screen lock, waited for about 45 minutes, still deleting. Temporary files size 592 MB. Nokia storage check shows 289 MB. Clear deletes nothing.
    UPD:
    Reboot didn't help much. Nokia deleted 1MB, windows detele still hangs and deletes nothing.
    Last edited by Oleg Ilyin; 10-15-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eugie View Post
    Just tap the screen to prevent it to lock while still deleting files...
    Read my previous post and good luck with that:)

I'm using shrink storage after the update. and released 1.2GB temporary files. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by godote View Post
    I'm using shrink storage after the update. and released 1.2GB temporary files. :)
    Tried it now, no change for me. Same 937MB taken by temp files.

I'm trying right now to delete temporary files.
    Let's see how long it takes and the changes that will make on my Lumia 920
    Don't forget that a healthy percentage of your previous "Other" category now lives in with "Apps".

It really would be nice to know what apps were the fattest ones on my phone.

Yup, deleted Six Guns and an indie game and immediately regained almost 1Gb.
    Pete_____________________________________
    Nokia 1520 | Surface 2 | Xbox One | Office 365

Mines is showing 921MB of temp files. Sits on Deleting temporary files forever and still has 921MB when done.

EDIT: Nokia storage check shows 290MB but that's the amount it stays at. It never goes to 0.
    Last edited by Kieta; 10-15-2013 at 08:51 AM.

I've got 1.44 GB in temporary files. Tried deleting and did nothing. Got bored and left it.

Same here, ~900mb

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts
    Same here as well, around 900. Was 912 to start, crept up to 930 or so.

928 on VZW fwiw.
    Quote Originally Posted by o Aperture o View Post
    Don't forget that a healthy percentage of your previous "Other" category now lives in with "Apps".

It really would be nice to know what apps were the fattest ones on my phone.

Yup, deleted Six Guns and an indie game and immediately regained almost 1Gb.
    If your device is Nokia, storage check allows you to see how much room an app takes.

I always use shrink storage temporary files completely deleted.

The Lumia Storage Check Beta will tell you which apps are the fattest, although that's little help if you don't have a Nokia.

I'm still on gdr2/amber (920) and the Lumia storage check recently stopped deleting my temp files too. Sitting at 2GB right now

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    1.41GB of Temporary files. Doesn't delete anything, Shrink Storage does nothing either.

I still have another storage app will try that...but doubt it will work. Oh well. Hopefully they have this sorted out for the final release.

Guys, it is not much about the other way to delete this files, it is about new feature in GDR3 not working.

same here, 920 on gdr3, both ways, old and new, read differing totals, and both fail to delete temps!
    Banned

And on my Lumia 810 after GDR3 there was no new delete temp files function in phone storage,
    I guess I can count myself lucky, that new function probably takes up a bit of "other"
    but since it doesn't work anyway but it's good to know that it's as useless as "clear" temporary files
    is after Storage Check was installed with Amber/GDR2 at least MS/Nokia is consistent in providing "solutions" that do 0.

PB_H - you click onto where it says phone, within phone storage, then that takes you to a breakdown, and then you click through each of the other subheadings

Ditto. Mine also showed 450+Mb of temp giles and I tried to clear it and it took forever but only got rid of around 100mb of stuff. Nice for them to add new stuff, but not so great when they don't work 100% properly

I'm not surprised with the discrepancy between MS and Nokia in regards to the temp file size. Most likely MS bundled everything together again :P lol. Have you guys tried deleting the ie history via ie as well? I don't have update 3 installed to check, I found that the Nokia's storage app currently does not delete ie history looks like the ie cache is locked - as you can see below: Nokia storage app does not clean ie temp files (L920 with Amber).
    wp_ss_20131016_0001.png
    wp_ss_20131016_0002.png
    wp_ss_20131016_0003.png
    wp_ss_20131016_0004.png
    wp_ss_20131016_0005.png
    wp_ss_20131016_0006.png
    wp_ss_20131016_0008.png

Edit: Tried clearing off the 29 mb but it doesnot go, not a big deal but the lowest I have had it is 5mb.
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 10-16-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Edit: update
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast