Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
Like Tree3Likes
  1. coip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    730 Posts
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
       #1  
    I was disappointed to see that there is no trial in either the Windows Phone or Windows RT versions of Halo: Spartan Assault as I wanted to try both out to see which I like better. As is, I am hoping those who have played either (or, better yet, both) versions of the game can chime in. Here are the pros and cons:

    1. Windows Phone version
    If I get this one I don't have to pay for it (still have some money from the $25 Nokia Lumia 928 credit), but I worry it will be too hard to play on the smaller screen.

    2. Surface RT
    I love my Surface RT but I have heard that the Harvest runs sluggishly on it, so I wanted to ensure it could handle Halo. The larger screen seems like a plus, but that's not always a guarantee (for example, I have Rocket Riot on both my Surface and Windows Phone and I actually prefer the Windows Phone version because in this case the smaller screen works better with the touch controls. They're more cumbersome on the Surface RT). The other downside is that I'd have to pay the $7 instead of free on my Windows Phone.

    3. Both?
    It's my understanding that this has a Skulls-of-the-Shogun-esque 'pick up and play' system across devices where I can start a campaign on the Surface, pause it, and pick up where I left off on Windows Phone (and vice versa). Is that true and has anyone here tried it out? Is it worth it?
  2. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #2  
    Im going for the RT version. My 8X turns into a hand held oven playing games for any length of time and I would rather save my battery for things like calls and texts. If im going to play Spartan assault I want a bigger screen and better battery so I can get a longer session in.

    Not sure on performance yet as its still downloading but I have the harvest and haven't had any issues on that.
  3. #3  
    I'd go Windows Phone, especially if it's free. That tablet seems like it'd be a little cumbersome for a twin-stick like this, especially when hitting the pickup and weapon buttons. Ideally, I'd vote get the Windows Phone version now, then get the Windows 8 version in August, after controller support is added (assuming you have a controller to use).
  4. aaa6112's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    535 Posts
    #4  
    Has been running butter smooth on my RT. Love the real estate on the display!
  5. rider2040's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    210 Posts
    #5  
    I just got sucked into this game on my Surface RT for the last two hours. It's incredible! Graphics are smooth, controls are good, game play and music are great! I never found it tiring or cumbersome to hold the tablet and use the controls. After two hours of game play, the Surface was only slightly warm and I still had 60% battery life.

    I can't get this game on my phone yet (920 on ATT), but I'm not sure if I will. The experience on the Surface is so immersive that I'm not sure if the game on the phone could even compare.
  6. aaa6112's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    535 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rider2040 View Post
    I just got sucked into this game on my Surface RT for the last two hours. It's incredible! Graphics are smooth, controls are good, game play and music are great! I never found it tiring or cumbersome to hold the tablet and use the controls. After two hours of game play, the Surface was only slightly warm and I still had 60% battery life.

    I can't get this game on my phone yet (920 on ATT), but I'm not sure if I will. The experience on the Surface is so immersive that I'm not sure if the game on the phone could even compare.
    I couldn't have said it any better.
  7. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,390 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,398 Global Posts
    #7  
    I'm not interested in the phone version, but interested that if I buy it on Surface, can I also play it on Windows 8 since the purchase should probably be on the account, not related to the device itself? Or are the Surface ARM versions still different from the x86 version that my PC would run. I would rather play with touch screen I think, but would love the option to play it at high FPS too if they keyboard controls are good etc.

    If anyone buys this on PC/Surface, please confirm if you can use it on the other too.
  8. aaa6112's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    535 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    I'm not interested in the phone version, but interested that if I buy it on Surface, can I also play it on Windows 8 since the purchase should probably be on the account, not related to the device itself? Or are the Surface ARM versions still different from the x86 version that my PC would run. I would rather play with touch screen I think, but would love the option to play it at high FPS too if they keyboard controls are good etc.

    If anyone buys this on PC/Surface, please confirm if you can use it on the other too.
    the W8, Win RT stores are the same. You need to buy only once.
  9. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,390 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,398 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by aaa6112 View Post
    the W8, Win RT stores are the same. You need to buy only once.
    Thought so, cheers! First time I put money into the App store! :D
  10. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,390 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,398 Global Posts
    #10  
    On Surface the game is at least plenty of fun, spent a few hours pretty fast there. I also tried it on Windows 8, but I felt the touch controls were more natural to this game. I personally wouldnt get it for a phone, but thats just cos I dont like gaming on a phone in general.
  11. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,624 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,625 Global Posts
    #11  
    Can't see any real reason to buy on both platforms as the only benefit is being able to pause on one and resume play on the other. With the prospect of controller support and the immersion of a larger screen the RT/8 versions seems to be the best choice.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Can't see any real reason to buy on both platforms as the only benefit is being able to pause on one and resume play on the other. With the prospect of controller support and the immersion of a larger screen the RT/8 versions seems to be the best choice.
    Reason for Windows Phone purchase: I can use my Bing Rewards to get it for free.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rider2040 View Post
    I can't get this game on my phone yet (920 on ATT), but I'm not sure if I will. The experience on the Surface is so immersive that I'm not sure if the game on the phone could even compare.
    If you have a an x86 PC in your house and want to spend about 10 minutes, you can do it.
  14. EDDS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    123 Posts
    #14  
    I got it on both and the Surface RT version is better, the controls are more accurate and on the WP8 version the audio sometimes stutters, I get no issues on the Surface version at all.
  15. Radecho007's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    #15  
    Microsoft needs to unify the W8 app store with the WP8 store.. not sure why.. after giving them money by buying a Windows Phone 8, a Surface tablet and a windows laptop I'd have to buy the game twice.
  16. Letros's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    90 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Radecho007 View Post
    Microsoft needs to unify the W8 app store with the WP8 store.. not sure why.. after giving them money by buying a Windows Phone 8, a Surface tablet and a windows laptop I'd have to buy the game twice.
    It's their new "Buy Twice, Play Anywhere" strategy!
    berty6294 likes this.
  17. xxxthebxxx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    #17  
    I have a laptop with Windows 8 pro on it, but it doesn't have a touchscreen. I am able to download Spartan Assault, but should I? I'm not sure I could use the touchpad to control it.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxthebxxx View Post
    I have a laptop with Windows 8 pro on it, but it doesn't have a touchscreen. I am able to download Spartan Assault, but should I? I'm not sure I could use the touchpad to control it.
    If you're used to PC gaming, you could pull it off.
    Keyboard knows all!
    If you don't know what I'm talking about, get the Win8/RT version.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well.

    3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D


    Useful Forums Shortcuts:
    Alt-S: Post
    Ctrl-I: Italicize
    Ctrl-B: Bold/Emphasize
    Ctrl-U: Underline
    Alt-F4: Try it out!
    LMZR likes this.
  19. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,060 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,039 Global Posts
    #19  
    The windows 8 / RT version is superior. The phone version uses much lower resolution assets throughout, and so it doesn't look crisp in comparison. Plus on my 920, the WP version randomly crashes (which I think is related to how insanely hot it's getting while playing).
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The windows 8 / RT version is superior. The phone version uses much lower resolution assets throughout, and so it doesn't look crisp in comparison. Plus on my 920, the WP version randomly crashes (which I think is related to how insanely hot it's getting while playing).
    1. It doesn't get that hot for me.
    2. It crashed on me, but it was only after a couple of minutes of playing, and the phone hadn't even started warming.

    That has me thinking it might not be heat-related crashing, because the one time it HAS crashed for me, it was shortly after starting.
  21. #21  
    I did phone mostly cause it is always with me (and I can rub it in my friends faces!) (eventually will do both though)
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
    danj210 likes this.
  22. uopjo6's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    170 Posts
    #22  
    I would avoid getting it on a phone it burns battery and by "burn" I also mean it burns your fingers it gets hot quick! I lost 5% battery when I died 70% through one mission. Battery is still hot and losing % as I type right now. I assume it would go down 2-3% more. I can't even play it outside since my battery will drain way too much.
  23. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by uopjo6 View Post
    I would avoid getting it on a phone it burns battery and by "burn" I also mean it burns your fingers it gets hot quick! I lost 5% battery when I died 70% through one mission. Battery is still hot and losing % as I type right now. I assume it would go down 2-3% more. I can't even play it outside since my battery will drain way too much.
    uh I disagree. I played for an hour and lost 8% battery. I think that is fairly good/average for playing a game. Not even that bad.
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
  24. uopjo6's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    170 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    uh I disagree. I played for an hour and lost 8% battery. I think that is fairly good/average for playing a game. Not even that bad.
    That is certainly good. Lucky you!I forgot to mention im on a 920.
  25. KrightonX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    45 Posts
    #25  
    It's too small to play on a phone really. My Surface Pro has gone from work tool to recreational tool now. I'm not sure what an RT is, I think it's like a Microsoft iPad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. More app developers turning their attention to Windows Phones
    By Sennheiser in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2013, 01:59 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2013, 12:30 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-19-2013, 05:08 PM
  4. I am from Philippines, should I change my region to US?
    By eroselim in forum Nokia Lumia 620
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2013, 01:36 AM
  5. So I am back on windows phone
    By cckgz4 in forum Nokia Lumia 822
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2013, 12:14 AM

Posting Permissions