Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

For those of you who were waiting for this. It runs so smoothly, music sounds terrific, and I don't notice any frame rate issues. The controls are not perfect, I'd love to see a virtual pad like on doom & destiny, but maybe they will add that later.

where do you download the games for the emulator?

Coolrom, but only if you own the game ;)
    Thanked by:
    livetraceon1 likes this.

thanks! :)

Quote Originally Posted by NickyNichols View Post
    Coolrom, but only if you own the game ;)
    I downloaded about 6 games, and I put them in a folder called snes on my skydrive. I have browsed the folder and nothing shows up. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: NVm I had to upload the smc file instead of the zip
    Last edited by havox22; 01-19-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    This is a pretty amazing app. Now I can play my super nintendo on the go. Beats lugging around a an old TV and console to the local starbucks. Only issue is the controls themselves. Could be more responsive, or I just need to get used to it. Eitherway. Got this baby pinned to my homescreen.
    cuzincurly likes this.

Global Posts
    1,022 Global Posts
    Yeah the emulator is good with great quality. However the controls are not good especially for when I am trying to play mortal kombat. Maybe I need to check it out more.

I have been reliving my childhood: playing Final Fantasy 3 for the past few days. As the controls are now, RPG games work great because control was never really a major factor in the game. You can easily enjoy FF, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Mario RPG, and others. I wouldn't even dare trying mortal kombat or killer instinct on it until there are better controls.

how do you make the games to download on .smc format. so far when i am in a website to download a rom, the rom when unzipped comes out in a .NDS format. that kind of format does nnot work on the snes8x so far. am i doing something wrong?

I have a question, when i download the games, the games are called .NDS.,so what i did was renamed the game files to .smc. my question is, am i doing this right? am i supposed to renamed to ROM files i download to .smc? when i do this the game is visible on sne8x to play, but when i try to play it opens, it shows the gaming controller pad and automatically closes. am i supposed to be renaming the games to smc? or am i such a noob, i dont know?

Quote Originally Posted by livetraceon1 View Post
    how do you make the games to download on .smc format. so far when i am in a website to download a rom, the rom when unzipped comes out in a .NDS format. that kind of format does nnot work on the snes8x so far. am i doing something wrong?
    Super Nintendo / SNES ROMs - CoolROM.com games from here work (you must own the game yada yada)

What are the controls like? From what I've seen in screenshots it's not encouraging at all. The thing I can't stand about vNESLight are the poorly implemented controls, and it looks like SNES8x offers more of the same.

I don't get these guys, they seem to get overly fixated on replicating the original controller and forget that they're working with a touchscreen. So the d-pad is cumbersome to use. OR worse, they'll do something stupid like put the shoulder buttons at the top of the screen instead of keeping all the buttons together.

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I have been reliving my childhood: playing Final Fantasy 3 for the past few days. As the controls are now, RPG games work great because control was never really a major factor in the game. You can easily enjoy FF, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Mario RPG, and others. I wouldn't even dare trying mortal kombat or killer instinct on it until there are better controls.
    Yeah, its too bad. Contra III looks great, but is almost unplayable due to the placement of the controls. Castlevania, on the other hand, is pretty playable.

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uselessrobot View Post
    What are the controls like? From what I've seen in screenshots it's not encouraging at all. The thing I can't stand about vNESLight are the poorly implemented controls, and it looks like SNES8x offers more of the same.

I don't get these guys, they seem to get overly fixated on replicating the original controller and forget that they're working with a touchscreen. So the d-pad is cumbersome to use. OR worse, they'll do something stupid like put the shoulder buttons at the top of the screen instead of keeping all the buttons together.
    Depends on which game you play. Some are quite playable, other not.

Come on guys. Just spent an age uploading my snes roms to skydrive and then find this is windows 8 only. PLEASE mention stuff like that when creating threads on the forum that covers 7.5 as well. Thanks.

Loving snes8x! I think what they need to do is have a portrait option so you don't cover the game with your thumbs while playing. Ive also suggested a run jump button for games like Mario and donkey Kong...hold to run, let go to jump as they are quite hard to play with virtual buttons.

Donkey Kong, cybernator, Jurassic park, aliens 3 and street racer all look amazing btw and play really well.

Only issue ive found is with dk the music seems a little fast and i cant get doom to work.

I think it's great we have an SNES emulator, but why people are so open about pirating these games is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by jdelroyc View Post
    I think it's great we have an SNES emulator, but why people are so open about pirating these games is beyond me.
    You're right... I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked already. It's probably only a matter of time before Nintendo takes notice and sends a cease and desist to the creators of SNES8x.

Quote Originally Posted by uselessrobot View Post
    You're right... I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked already. It's probably only a matter of time before Nintendo takes notice and sends a cease and desist to the creators of SNES8x.
    Roms and Emulators have been around since the dial-up days. And the same sites are still around.

Roms and Emulators have been around since the dial-up days. And the same sites are still around.
    That's not entirely true. I've been into emulation since close to the beginning and through all that time I've seen multiple developers hit with cease and desist orders. Although, the times I've seen it happen was for more contemporary consoles, like the Dreamcast or PS2.

That said, the targets generally tended to be ROM sites. Those sites always seemed to come down in waves. I recall numerous times where it was next to impossible to find ROMs for certain platforms. However, someone would eventually find a way to host this stuff. I don't know what the current state is but it seems like ROMs are more readily available than the last time I checked years ago.. That implies it's gotten easier to maintain a repository, there's a lull in crackdowns or companies have simply given up trying to fight this.

Global Posts
    1,022 Global Posts
    Go offshore. I'm sure these companies have better things to fo then try and target copyright claims in these countries where piracy is less severe.

Global Posts
    1,022 Global Posts
    Besides what is the point in locking the thread. Wpcentral not only did a review on the app but I believe i saw mention of cool roms there. Although I did also see them say you had to own the game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah Dawson View Post
    Besides what is the point in locking the thread. Wpcentral not only did a review on the app but I believe i saw mention of cool roms there. Although I did also see them say you had to own the game as well.
    Agree. If Nintendo was smart, they would throw a few bucks to the developer, and publish the roms to the appstore. A win for Microsoft, win for Nintendo, win for the developer instead of wasting money on lawyers.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Excellent update today! Improved control, portrait mode and live tiles. Portrait mode is really good, you actually don't lose all that much screen space compared to landscape and hamper gameplay with controls in the screen which was a frustration.

Love the new update, much better now that portrait has been added. Only thing missing for me is a analog style control.

Otherwise perfect :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast