Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 156
Like Tree17Likes
  1. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    986 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Tavares1 View Post
    That has everything to do with the OS optmization.Take as an example, games with linux versions. The Windows version are alot smoother than the linux counter parts, because drivers are much better optimized for windows. As long as they have the 225 optimized for WP8 we will not have such issues...
    This is my hope. Because Gameloft (and other companies and developers) only have one SOC to target, I'm hoping this will benefit us to enable the full gaming experience without having the scale the graphics back. I know that on the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Nexus I had (both Sprint), they had the graphics turned up on the S3 (to where all the particle effects, smoke, high resolution sharpness, etc. showed up on the game), whereas the Galaxy Nexus had stuff scaled back, but the Nexus ran smoother (still laggy though, but not as bad as the Galaxy S3).I have no doubt that it's possible that the game can run 60 fps smooth on Windows Phone because of optimization, but I'm wondering if they can truly have the games running with FULL graphics and not having to scale back for 60 fps. I just know that Adreno 225 was DESTROYED by even the iPhone 4s GPU, and that the chip isn't that powerful in comparison to the competition...
  2. Mafiatounes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAdrian23 View Post
    Aren't there only 2 resolutions? As Lumia's resolution can use WVGA.
    There are 3 resolutions for WP8 WVGA, 1280x720 and 1280x768.

    Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk
  3. JamesDax3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    331 Posts
    Global Posts
    855 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar1223 View Post
    . I just know that Adreno 225 was DESTROYED by even the iPhone 4s GPU, and that the chip isn't that powerful in comparison to the competition...
    THIS is a flat out lie.

    AnandTech - Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (Krait) Performance Preview - 1.5 GHz MSM8960 MDP and Adreno 225 Benchmarks

    Troll harder.
  4. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #29  
    I've been playing Modern Combat 4 on my Nexus for a week or so using a MOGA controller. It's been amazing.

    Along with the games, I'm hopeful that there will be a MOGA like controller accessory for WP8. Microsoft could even do it themselves given their foothold in console gaming.

    It makes the whole experience much better.
  5. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by LandscapesR View Post
    Windows has 90% of all the good apps that android and apple - except when it come to high quality 3D gaming/RPG/MMORPG/RTS
    I'm sorry, that's straight up BS. WP8 is far deficient in every app category, including gaming.

    There will be a tipping point for apps on WP8, and Gameloft may well be it, but don't gloss over the largest issue that many, many people have with WP8. It doesn't serve any purpose at all.
  6. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #31  
    Dude the iPhone 4S is now over a year old. If you want to compare, compare it with iPhone 5 or Galaxy S III or the new S4 Pro Android phones due to come this month. Windows Phone is ONCE AGAIN well behind the curve in terms of hardware, and high quality games with gorgeous graphics will need all the powerful hardware they can get.
  7. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    986 Global Posts
    #32  
    http://www.gsmarena.com/qualcomm_s4_chipset_benchmarks_promise_amazing_performance-news-3860.php"GLBenchmark however tells a different story - when run in offscreen mode (so that it can be forced to render graphics at 720p resolution, regardless of the actual screen res), the Adreno 225 beats the Mali-400MP4 inside the Galaxy S II (but not by much) and falls quite short of the SGX543MP2. It lags behind the Tegra 3's GPU too."1. Please grow up and stop using the word "trolling"; seriously...2. I am simply re-iterating the same research you've brought here and tried to use to say (once again, like a child...) that I'm "trolling". I only want the best for Windows Phone to succeed, as an early adopter and customer, getting hardware that is behind the curve again is the Windows Phone 7.X cycle again.Perhaps I was wrong in saying that it DESTROYS the 225, but it still doesn't outperform the CURRENT competition (iPhone 5, for example).
  8. JamesDax3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    331 Posts
    Global Posts
    855 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    Dude the iPhone 4S is now over a year old. If you want to compare, compare it with iPhone 5 or Galaxy S III or the new S4 Pro Android phones due to come this month. Windows Phone is ONCE AGAIN well behind the curve in terms of hardware, and high quality games with gorgeous graphics will need all the powerful hardware they can get.
    My reply was to jrdatrackstar1223 who stated that the iPhone4s GPU destroyed the A225 which as you can see is false. As far as Windows being behind the curve in hardware, well that's just BS because there are and will be plenty of high quality games with gorgeous graphics that will run just fine on Windows Phone 8.
  9. JamesDax3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    331 Posts
    Global Posts
    855 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar1223 View Post
    Perhaps I was wrong in saying that it DESTROYS the 225, but it still doesn't outperform the CURRENT competition (iPhone 5, for example).
    Glad to see you can admit when you're wrong.
  10. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesDax3 View Post
    My reply was to jrdatrackstar1223 who stated that the iPhone4s GPU destroyed the A225 which as you can see is false. As far as Windows being behind the curve in hardware, well that's just BS because there are and will be plenty of high quality games with gorgeous graphics that will run just fine on Windows Phone 8.
    They will be gorgeous, but not nearly as gorgeous as the ones on Android and iOS. Why? Because the hardware there is much more strong. It's simple logic.
  11. uselessrobot's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    346 Posts
    #36  
    Having come from Android, I'd say Windows Phone is in a better place than Android was about two years ago. But that isn't saying much as Microsoft now has to face two competitors with very robust marketplaces. Android is further helped by the fact that plenty of SDKs are available to facilitate the porting of games from iOS. I'm not banking much on Gameloft because although they've got decent production values, their games are far from being anything noteworthy. Some of the best games on iOS come from smaller developers.

    There are some decent games on Windows Phone, but I'm always reminded about how stark the difference is when I fire up the iPad and visit the App Store. Every couple of weeks there's a deluge of new, legitimately good games. The quality for a lot of these games is incredible. Within every genre there are countless options.

    It's an inevitability. Developers go where the userbase is strongest, where success is more of a sure thing. It's hard to commit to an unknown quantity. Windows Phone is just now gaining real traction, which means the games will start showing up later in the year. But the problem is that Microsoft should have pushed harder to bring more to the platform. I can't even find much news on what's coming. I mean, the news of new games from Gameloft go back to early 2012. Those games should have been available in time for the launch of WP8. And what about all the games that have been delisted because of incompatibility with WP8? We're a month and a half in and I think maybe 2 of the 25+ games have been patched and relisted.

    The problem is that currently most of the top Windows Phone games come from EA and Gameloft. These are two developers notorious for half-assed ports and then providing atrocious post launch support. I'm not optimistic some of those delisted games will ever be patched. The hope is in the smaller, indie developers but I haven't seen an indication those guys are coming. So far, too many of the indie games on WP phone are crap.

    There is good stuff out there, just not enough of it. Thankfully everything else about Windows Phone is good; it makes it easier to be patient. But if Microsoft wants to build it's userbase they're going to work a lot harder and leverage what they've got with the Xbox.
  12. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    986 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by uselessrobot View Post
    Having come from Android, I'd say Windows Phone is in a better place than Android was about two years ago. But that isn't saying much as Microsoft now has to face two competitors with very robust marketplaces. Android is further helped by the fact that plenty of SDKs are available to facilitate the porting of games from iOS. I'm not banking much on Gameloft because although they've got decent production values, their games are far from being anything noteworthy. Some of the best games on iOS come from smaller developers.

    There are some decent games on Windows Phone, but I'm always reminded about how stark the difference is when I fire up the iPad and visit the App Store. Every couple of weeks there's a deluge of new, legitimately good games. The quality for a lot of these games is incredible. Within every genre there are countless options.

    It's an inevitability. Developers go where the userbase is strongest, where success is more of a sure thing. It's hard to commit to an unknown quantity. Windows Phone is just now gaining real traction, which means the games will start showing up later in the year. But the problem is that Microsoft should have pushed harder to bring more to the platform. I can't even find much news on what's coming. I mean, the news of new games from Gameloft go back to early 2012. Those games should have been available in time for the launch of WP8. And what about all the games that have been delisted because of incompatibility with WP8? We're a month and a half in and I think maybe 2 of the 25+ games have been patched and relisted.

    The problem is that currently most of the top Windows Phone games come from EA and Gameloft. These are two developers notorious for half-assed ports and then providing atrocious post launch support. I'm not optimistic some of those delisted games will ever be patched. The hope is in the smaller, indie developers but I haven't seen an indication those guys are coming. So far, too many of the indie games on WP phone are crap.

    There is good stuff out there, just not enough of it. Thankfully everything else about Windows Phone is good; it makes it easier to be patient. But if Microsoft wants to build it's userbase they're going to work a lot harder and leverage what they've got with the Xbox.

    This. I know Windows Phone 8 is only 2 months old, but they should've learned A LOT from Windows Phone 7.X, and it appears they haven't. All they've done is said "HEY....we've made porting from other platforms available now, and a lot of stuff open to make apps. Now you guys do all the work and we will sit back and watch the apps flood in"; you can't do that. They have to stand out to developers to get them interested in coming to this platform. With all the cash they have, they are not approaching the marketing (to both developers and customers) the right way. They should be offering huge cash prizes for getting apps to the store, as well as cash incentives to get people to trade in their current phone for a Windows Phone device. Tell me ONE person who wouldn't take, say, 25 bucks to trade in their current phone and try Windows Phone for 2 weeks, with the option available to go back to their old phone and keep the money if they didn't like the OS.

    Microsoft is, IMHO, being very lazy and expecting the small (VERY SMALL) interest that was paid to Windows Phone 7.X to take off now that Windows Phone 8 "offers more" and push the platform. Add to the fact they are getting rid of the exclusive services/apps we DID have, and they just don't seem to have faith in this platform, and only see it as a 3rd option to just EXIST in the mobile world...
  13. cashcar1979's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    #38  
    MSFT should be offering iOS and Android users $50 in free apps. Highlight key pay apps (Garmin, Navigon) and games. I would also think they should push a decent free trial of Xbox Music, perhaps 3 months.
  14. JamesDax3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    331 Posts
    Global Posts
    855 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar1223 View Post
    Microsoft is, IMHO, being very lazy and expecting the small (VERY SMALL) interest that was paid to Windows Phone 7.X to take off now that Windows Phone 8 "offers more" and push the platform. Add to the fact they are getting rid of the exclusive services/apps we DID have, and they just don't seem to have faith in this platform, and only see it as a 3rd option to just EXIST in the mobile world...
    lol
  15. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    986 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesDax3 View Post
    lol
    Am I lying though? I mean look at the "better marketing" they promised and broken promises they haven't delivered. Skype isn't even working well, games promised aren't available, etc. They don't even seem like they're trying. I will give credit where it's due, as they did push the first OS update quickly...
  16. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #41  
    Microsoft should personally meet the CEOs of major apps like Instagram etc etc and coerce them into making apps. I know if it was Steve Jobs here he would have personally called up these big developers, held one on one meetings and discussed about getting the job done. I don't know what Ballmer is doing other being loud and obnoxious.
  17. JamesDax3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    331 Posts
    Global Posts
    855 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar1223 View Post
    Am I lying though? I mean look at the "better marketing" they promised and broken promises they haven't delivered. Skype isn't even working well, games promised aren't available, etc. They don't even seem like they're trying. I will give credit where it's due, as they did push the first OS update quickly...
    There has been and there still is better marketing. Broken promises? What exactly? Be specific. Skype is still in beta. The games are coming. I don't recall them giving an exact release date for any of them.

    Lying? No. Misinformed and confused? Yes.
  18. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashcar1979 View Post
    MSFT should be offering iOS and Android users $50 in free apps. Highlight key pay apps (Garmin, Navigon) and games. I would also think they should push a decent free trial of Xbox Music, perhaps 3 months.
    I doubt that pointing out to iOS and Android users that they can buy some of the same apps on WP8 would make much difference.

    MS needs to sell the UX and tight integration with Office, among other things. MS can't fight the app war yet, they don't have enough ammo.
  19. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    986 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesDax3 View Post
    There has been and there still is better marketing. Broken promises? What exactly? Be d. Skype is still in beta. The games are coming. I don't recall them giving an exact release date for any of them.

    Lying? No. Misinformed and confused? Yes.
    At both Windows Phone 8 events those games were "going to available at launch". And with Skype, I'm speaking on the so-called integrated experience that was supposed to ready at launch as well.


    They also said Windows Phone 8 was "now business ready", yet it still can't VPN in or even remote desktop natively...
    Last edited by jrdatrackstar1223; 01-02-2013 at 11:03 PM.
  20. cashcar1979's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar1223 View Post
    At both Windows Phone 8 events those games were "going to available at launch". And with Skype, I'm speaking on the so-called integrated experience that was supposed to ready at launch as well.


    They also said Windows Phone 8 was "now business ready", yet it still can't VPN in or even remote desktop natively...
    Agree 100%. WP8 has been poorly executed. I really like my Nokia 920, but if this stuff continues I will bounce over to iPhone or maybe give BB10 a whirl. No more Droid for me!

    Skype is a mess...Xbox is a mess...no promised games from Gameloft, EA,etc, still waiting on Pandora & Spotify, no Instagram or snapchat....quite a laundry list of failure.

    I truly enjoy the WP8 OS and realize devs take time, but the issues above were can't miss types for growth.
    Thanked by:
    jrdatrackstar1223 likes this.
  21. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    986 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashcar1979 View Post
    Agree 100%. WP8 has been poorly executed. I really like my Nokia 920, but if this stuff continues I will bounce over to iPhone or maybe give BB10 a whirl. No more Droid for me!

    Skype is a mess...Xbox is a mess...no promised games from Gameloft, EA,etc, still waiting on Pandora & Spotify, no Instagram or snapchat....quite a laundry list of failure.

    I truly enjoy the WP8 OS and realize devs take time, but the issues above were can't miss types for growth.
    I'm in the same boat as you. BB10 is so ugly, and iOS looks stale and old, but I KNOW iOS just WORKS, and they deliver promises. The only reason I've skipped iOS is because it's stale, old looking, I hate Apple, and it doesn't have NFC or innovative hardware. Blackberry 10 has all those, so if it works and they deliver promises, I will be switching.

    I love the Windows Phone UI, and the whole OS in general, but this is ridiculous. Since the BEGINNING of Windows Phone 7.X, they've promised "this" and "that" and barely delivered. Things like User Suggestions get ignored, obviously, because things with high votes (like VPN) weren't delivered for WP8. Also, things like Nokia Drive being available for EVERYBODY was also a broken promise; how hard is it to put the stupid app on the marketplace for ALL Windows Phone 8 devices, and why would take that "months" after release when it was promised FOR release. It was shown off as a huge, bulletpoint highlight to get people excited for the platform. Now, instead of AT LEAST having the crappy DEFAULT Bing voice turn-by-turn (that was available in the "not compatible because of kernel changes" Windows Phone 7.X), people will now have NO voice turn-by-turn unless they get a Nokia device. Way to go BACKWARDS from Windows Phone 7.X Microsoft....way to go......

    They constantly talk about making it "YOUR PHONE", yet they don't take the suggestions from people wanting to make it THEIR phone. Is it REALLY that hard to add the speech-to-text functionality to ALL text fields in the OS; is that REALLY a feature that requires months of effort, or would need serious consideration because "it takes so much time to implement"? Again, this was something that had a high count in the User Suggestions forms. Some of the stuff they miss is like "Really...? You guys wouldn't think to implement that in the OS....?". Again, I understand this OS is only 2 months old, but don't make promises and hype people up, make them wait for months AFTER announcements (when iOS and Android already have what they're promising), then release the product only to say "well, we couldn't get this done in time like we thought we would". When will they realize they have NO WIGGLE ROOM for that crap, and they DO NOT HAVE faithful followers, minus us on this board (the 3% of the entire smartphone population)...
    Last edited by jrdatrackstar1223; 01-03-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    Thanked by:
    StevesBalls likes this.
  22. JamesDax3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    331 Posts
    Global Posts
    855 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar1223 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. BB10 is so ugly, and iOS looks stale and old, but I KNOW iOS just WORKS, and they deliver promises. The only reason I've skipped iOS is because it's stale, old looking, I hate Apple, and it doesn't have NFC or innovative hardware. Blackberry 10 has all those, so if it works and they deliver promises, I will be switching.

    I love the Windows Phone UI, and the whole OS in general, but this is ridiculous. Since the BEGINNING of Windows Phone 7.X, they've promised "this" and "that" and barely delivered. Things like User Suggestions get ignored, obviously, because things with high votes (like VPN) weren't delivered for WP8. Also, things like Nokia Drive being available for EVERYBODY was also a broken promise; how hard is it to put the stupid app on the marketplace for ALL Windows Phone 8 devices, and why would take that "months" after release when it was promised FOR release. It was shown off as a huge, bulletpoint highlight to get people excited for the platform. Now, instead of AT LEAST having the crappy DEFAULT Bing voice turn-by-turn (that was available in the "not compatible because of kernel changes" Windows Phone 7.X), people will now have NO voice turn-by-turn unless they get a Nokia device. Way to go BACKWARDS from Windows Phone 7.X Microsoft....way to go......

    They constantly talk about making it "YOUR PHONE", yet they don't take the suggestions from people wanting to make it THEIR phone. Is it REALLY that hard to add the speech-to-text functionality to ALL text fields in the OS; is that REALLY a feature that requires months of effort, or would need serious consideration because "it takes so much time to implement"? Again, this was something that had a high count in the User Suggestions forms. Some of the stuff they miss is like "Really...? You guys wouldn't think to implement that in the OS....?". Again, I understand this OS is only 2 months old, but don't make promises and hype people up, make them wait for months AFTER announcements (when iOS and Android already have what they're promising), then release the product only to say "well, we couldn't get this done in time like we thought we would". When will they realize they have NO WIGGLE ROOM for that crap, and they DO NOT HAVE faithful followers, minus us on this board (the 3% of the entire smartphone population)...
    Buy an iPhone and done with your crying already.
  23. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    986 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesDax3 View Post
    Buy an iPhone and done with your crying already.
    Sure will, as soon as you learn how to respond with posts longer than 4 sentences that say absolutely nothing...
  24. Jalik's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    #49  
    Am I the only one who thinks that 'Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance' is such a stupid name? Okay, I would play it anyway if it comes to WP :)
  25. havox22's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    131 Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by kilaj View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that 'Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance' is such a stupid name? Okay, I would play it anyway if it comes to WP :)
    lol, but Nova sounds sooooo cool, but yes Im buying this & modern combat 4, asphalt 7, & jetpack joy ride,
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Purchasing games from WP7 -> Usage on WP8
    By jwcdis in forum Windows Phone Games
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 03:06 PM
  2. VLC for WP8 - Could be soon?
    By Slai in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-11-2012, 04:17 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-08-2012, 12:39 AM
  4. Let's think of reasons EA and GameLoft aren't pumping out games.
    By SeanR1221 in forum Windows Phone Games
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 02:37 PM
  5. Pooping Pigeons - Coming Soon to WP7 - Free Game
    By lynxinteractive in forum Developer Spotlight
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Posting Permissions