Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Hi Everyone -

Brand new here and brand new to WP7. Wanted to take a moment to say hi and introduce my first project.

My first project is one I started for iOS a few months ago. After doing much research into the iOS app store, we've decided we have a better chance of success in less saturated markets, such as WP7 and webOS. We've chosen WP7 as our first.

The game is called Patchwork Battle and is in currently in development for iOS. We are going to be seizing the iOS development to focus my efforts on WP7. We have various reasons for doing this which I won't get into (boring!). And when I say "we", I mean the team working on the project. The team is two people, myself (coder) and the artist (designer/art).

So, on to the details!! -

Concept
    The concept and design philosophy behind Patchwork Battle is "Build your party". Now, when I say "build your party" I don't mean chose from a predetermined list of 6 characters and go on your marry way. Instead, I quite literally mean build your party (more on this later).

Once you have your party built you then use them to enter the arena and fight wave after wave of baddies. The battle system is your typical Turn Based RPG battle system, utilizing an ATB (Active Time Battle, see here: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/B...ve_Time_Battle) battle system. After each wave of baddies is defeated you can either continue on to the next wave or go back to your lab to upgrade and/or build more mimics.

Build Your Party
    So remember when I said "Build your party"? Yeah, let's talk about that because it's a vital part to Patchwork Battle and is, in my opinion, probably the coolest part to boot.

You are in charge of assembling your party of mimics to defeat the endless wave of baddie mimics coming after you. This is done by collecting mimic body parts, hearts, souls, and memories and putting them together to create your mimic. Essentially, instead of crafting your weapons and armor you are crafting your party member. It should be noted that there is no equipment in the game. Everything is tied to the body parts, hearts, souls, memories, and upgrade crystals of the mimic.

Build-A-Mimic
    So now that you have a brief introduction, let's get into a little more detail on this. Mimics require a head, a body, 2 arms, 2 legs, and a heart. Each and every body part has some stats attached to it (HP, STR, DEX, etc). The stats for your mimic are determined based on the sum of it's parts (plus any synergy points).

The heart of the mimic determines the mimics base class. There's a lot more to it than that, however. Each body part also has a Class attached to it. The 8 starting classes are: Mage, Sorcerer, Priest, Druid, Warrior, Knight, Rogue, and Archer. Each part also has a class value assigned to it (hearts are assigned a value of 3, body and head are assigned a value of 2, while arms and legs are assigned a value of 1). The higher the class value of a class the stronger that classes skills and bonuses will be.

So looking back at the previous paragraph you may have realized that you can mix and match classes. You're not stuck with having just a Warrior. You can have a Mimic with the heart, head, body, and legs of a Warrior but the arms of a Mage. So you now have a Battlemage, of sorts.

That was a great segue to the next nuance of the "Build-A-Mimic" shop, which is the ability to unlock an additional 8 mimic classes through building mimics. By combining certain classes together within your mimic you may unlock a new class (Example: Warrior + Mage = Battlemage). When you've unlocked a new class you will be informed and you will have to dismantle your mimic, losing all of the parts you used to build it*, in order to collect it's heart. Classes are sublcassed (ie: Battlemage can use parts from Warrior and Mage and get full bonuses from both).

My mimic is souless!
    Actually, no he's not... unless you want him to be, that is. Okay, so that was a pretty bad segue. I apologize for that.

As you advance through the waves of baddie mimics you will, without a doubt, find some souls. These souls can be put into your mimics to give them a personality. The personality of your mimic will provide it with bonuses in certain situations. For example, a mimic with a "Courageous Soul" will get a +DEF bonus when put in the front line.

Souls are reusable, meaning you can have the same soul in multiple mimics. If you remove the soul from a mimic it's not lost. In simpler terms - once you find a soul it's forever usable. This is huge because it's opened up the door for a neat nuance to the battle system.

Mimics on your same team who share the same soul will be "Soul Linked". Soul Linked mimics provide bonuses to each other, depending on the soul. For example, two mimics with the "Courageous Soul" may share damage with each other, meaning when one mimic gets attacked it takes some of the damage and the other mimics take some of the damage (i.e: 2 linked mimics will take 50% damage each, 3 will take 33% each, etc).

Amnesia?
    Mimics don't have Amnesia, silly! They don't have any memories because you haven't given them any memories, yet. You are in control of them, remember. What they have, or lack, is all up to you.

I have not fleshed out the memory system completely yet but I will say this - Mimics can be given memories which will determine which skills they have available to them. Memories can be unlocked by defeating baddies and/or leveling up current skills.

* I'm not sold on the idea of losing parts yet. Just something I'm tinkering with!
    Here are the different mimic classes and how they look in game -

And, some weapons -

I just wanted to stop in, say Hi, and introduce this new (and upcoming!) Windows Phone 7 RPG. :)

I look forward to hearing any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, and feedback!!
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    hey,

looks Sort of cool

- is this a RPG or TD? whats with

** You are in charge of assembling your party of mimics to defeat the endless wave of baddie mimics coming after you.***

a mix of both??

- is the fighting gona be turn base ?? ( like the fighting in *HEROs* moving from grid tog rid turn base ) if so thats awesome i love does style of games.

- is it gona have an OPEN world to move around in?? or move from fights to fight.

THE SECOND you have a a BETA vershion out i wana start testing for you guys!! ill give you Complet full detail review of game play + bugs + suggestion!!

a game play vid would be nice , i saw the mouvement animation on youtube , but any more?
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts
    Sounds neat! I'm in. Keep us updated please!

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Really liking the look of this.

Looking forward to seeing it in the marketplace.

Good luck with it

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    hey,

looks Sort of cool

- is this a RPG or TD? whats with

** You are in charge of assembling your party of mimics to defeat the endless wave of baddie mimics coming after you.***

a mix of both??

- is the fighting gona be turn base ?? ( like the fighting in *HEROs* moving from grid tog rid turn base ) if so thats awesome i love does style of games.

- is it gona have an OPEN world to move around in?? or move from fights to fight.

THE SECOND you have a a BETA vershion out i wana start testing for you guys!! ill give you Complet full detail review of game play + bugs + suggestion!!

a game play vid would be nice , i saw the mouvement animation on youtube , but any more?
    It's a Turn Based RPG.

No open world.

Gameplay is being kept under wraps until we finalize everything. Should have a video shortly of the iOS version :)

Ridiculously excited about this. I'll beta test anything. Having an RPG on my WP7 (especially if it were an XBL game with achievements) would make me happier than anything. If its not XBL affiliated, I'd still be happy!
    Writer

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Aww Jlach. Don't forget to respond to my PM.
    Games Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: paul.acevedo@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Order & Chaos Online: EastWind - Join the WPCentral Guild!

sounds good. I will keep an eye out for updates

edit.. quick "bing" search /wink and I came across this

kinda south park-ey, but me likes :)
    Last edited by MadGaffler; 08-20-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    like the look of it. hope to see some vids soon. even if they are still rough.
    yep... yep...

Ill buy it

But seriosuly always good to see a rpg (I know it wont be xbl enabled unless you contacted ms and got approval) but either way if it looks awesome and at a cheap price. hey I would buy it

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadGaffler View Post
    sounds good. I will keep an eye out for updates

edit.. quick "bing" search /wink and I came across this

kinda south park-ey, but me likes :)
    Heh, you found the old animation video!

That style is going to be kept throughout the whole game. It gives a very "unique" feel, I think, and really adds to the art style.

Also - thanks everyone for the interest in Patchwork Battle. I'm hoping to get videos up soon! I'm in the process of porting over what I have to XNA.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    That artwork looks amazing! And the gameplay concept sounds like it would be perfect for a smartphone game. Definitely keep us up to date.

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts
    Just checked out the video. Animations are a little crazy, but the chars look amazing. Can't wait.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Awesome graphic style. Really waiting to see it in action :)

Can't wait!!!

This. Looks. Awesome.
    Gamer.
    Lover.
    Insults about your mother.

ďA lot of things that happened [in the past] would have broken anybody else. I was able to survive. That's all that really matters.Ē
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Any update :)
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    nice and unique graphic, can't wait to play it

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Brian has done a phenomenal job on the graphics!

And yes, I have a pretty exciting and major update. I just can't share quite yet. I'll be able to share in the next few weeks :)

I can't wait to share, either, haha :)

THIS LOOKS AWESOME!!!!
    Made much progress??

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparxy19 View Post
    THIS LOOKS AWESOME!!!!
    Made much progress??
    Thanks!

Great progress is most definitely being made. We're actually going to have the prototype of our battle system done in the next week or two. Also, as I stated in my last reply, there will be a major announcement for Patchwork in the coming weeks. I'm just waiting for the right time :)

And since there seems to be a lot of interest in more information, below are some snippets of information on the battle system you will be seeing in Patchwork.

Introduction
    The Reactionary Battle System (RBS for short) is a new type of battle system being built for Patchwork Battles. It mixes the ever popular Active Turn Battle (ATB) with a reaction based system.The goal of this system is to create fast paced battles that scale along with the level of skill a player has. This system provide a way for the game to be less about gear and more about player skill.

Threat
    Threat is a mechanic that is used to determine who the AI should target first. Each action a mimic takes generates threat. A damaging spell cast on an enemy, for instance, generates threat proportional to the amount of damage that spell did. Likewise, a beneficial spell cast on an ally also generates threat based on how beneficial the spell was (i.e: How much did it heal for). A beneficial spell will generate threat towards each enemy in the battle, while damaging spells and skills generate threat only for the enemy(ies) they were used on. Some classes are better at generating threat (Knight) while others are very good at keeping their threat low (Archer, Rogue).

Reactions
    Reactions are skills that cannot be used until a certain criteria is met. The criteria that needs to be met is defined by the reactionary skill. If that criteria is met, the player will have a certain amount of time (again, defined by the skill) in which it can be used. These skills will act as a direct counter to other skills.

Some examples of Reactionary Skills are Dodge, Stun, and Spell Shield. Dodge is a reactionary skill that can be used by a mimic that is the target of a melee attack. Once they are selected, and the skill is triggered, they will have a short time to dodge it. The Stun reactionary skill can be used by any mimic that has it equipped. It can be used when an enemy mimic has started casting a skill. They will have the duration equal to half of the cast time of the enemy skill to use it. When used it will double the cast time of the effected skill. Spell Shield is a reactionary skill that can be used on the mimic who has it equipped, or an ally mimic. It becomes available when an enemy casts a magical skill on an ally. For a quick second the mimic can react and cast spell shield on the target, negating some of the damage the magical skill does.

Reactionary Skills can be used regardless of the mimics action timer. Whether itís their turn or not, a reactionary skill can be used. Using the skill, however, does have a drawback. When a Reactionary Skill is used, the mimic will suffer a slight penalty to their action timer. This penalty increases as more reactionary skills are used and decreases as they are not used. If itís already the mimicís turn when the reactionary skill is used, the penalty is applied to the next action timer countdown.

Goal of the RBS
    The goal of the RBS is to create a very fast, very fluid battle system while keeping a mechanic most all RPG players are familiar with (ATB). The system should feel seamless and the player should never be waiting to take an action. In order to ensure the player never waits, timers will be short and Reactionary skills will be abundant.

For reference, while designing the battle system, our target was to create a system that feels like Final Fantasy VII mixed with Soul Calibur: a turn based fighting game, if you will.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    nice i can’t wait to play this!!!

if you need BETA testers you know where to look!!!

whiling to give full review on bugs , balance , ect....

and to pay for it after!! haha

Looks really interesting!

cant wait.....
  25. lumic
    This seems great. WP7 gaming is slightly lacking in three areas: RTS/RPG, shooters and "continuous" games.

WinMo had Age of Empires, and games with longer storylines such as Westward. I'm yet to find such a game except for The Harvest, which I'm only starting to play now. There's a tool to force multitasking on all apps, so no more 60 second resume times when I reply to a text!

I'm a little disappointed with the lack of FPS games. Even WinMo had some (admittedly, they were terrible, but still). There's about one or two games which I know of as it stands and both look terrible and control terrible. NOVA, anyone?

Lastly, the kind of arcade-style games that are either continuous or are about achieving something in a set number of years. Tiny Tower, Game Dev Story and the millions of other iterations.

This looks to fill a gap in the first category. By the way, the kinda fabric-style models look great. I can only imagine the environment!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast