Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    So a really cute old couple stop a my work for a cover for it's ipod touch and we started making conversations. He had a couple of games but didn't knew how to play them. ( Fruit ninja, bunch of Angry bird versions, NBA Jam and some I didn't recognized ).

Anyway I'm a avid Fruit Ninja player, lacking only one luck related achievement. And I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Fruit Ninja running in IOS, it's like a completly different game, so smooth, so crisp.

Why do the games look so off on my platform? Anything that Mango will fix or just lazyness of the developers?

Seems smooth on my HD7? then again I've not played it on the iPhone unless it's just a sloppy port as such?

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    iPhone 4 has a higher screen resolution than WP7 (640x960 vs 480x800). If you compared it to the previous iPhones (3GS and below), it'd probably look better since those are all 320x480.

Also, yeah, Fruit Ninja was originally made for the iPhone, so it might just be a lazy port. When I first saw Words with Friends on Android vs the iOS version, it looked... off. And that comparison was even an Evo vs a gen 1 iPod.

When I compare Fruit Ninja on that iPod with WP7, WP7 looks better and has more detail in the wood background.
    Writer

Global Posts
    317 Global Posts
    The iPhone version runs at a higher framerate (60 FPS vs 30 FPS on WP7 I believe) too. So yeah, it does look a little better. The resolution issue can't be helped, but the framerate thing and semi-glitchiness of the Achievements is simply due to developer Halfbrick's porting work.

Of course, Winterfang thinks everything looks bad...
    Games Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: paul.acevedo@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Order & Chaos Online: EastWind - Join the WPCentral Guild!

Global Posts
    3,458 Global Posts
    The look the same to me.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I'm not negative at all, I was just shocked because I though Fruit Ninja looked really good on my phone but man for a Xbox Live phone the ports are kind disappointing. Maybe the Optimus7 is not the best phone for games.

Global Posts
    3,458 Global Posts
    They really need to step up the game quality though.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

No one can do anything about the resolution. Most Windows Phones are about equal to the iPhone 4 in terms of strength though, so really it all comes down to lazy porting.

Get used to it, as Windows Phone 7 is a platform still in its infancy, while the iPhone is the go to home for mobile developers. Few developers will think of rebuilding their games from the ground up for our platform. And why should they when we're not even worth a quarter of the sales you can make on the iPhone?

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    As much as I love my WP7, I have to admit that when I compared Fruit Ninja on the iPhone 4 vs my LG Quantum, it does look better/smoother. Racing games on the iPhone are another area where I catch myself drooling. But, I have to say that my Father-in-law's iPhone 4 has had more issues than my LG Quantum so far and we got them less than a month apart from each other, one of them almost had him ready to take it in to replace it but I managed to figure out how to get it to do a hard reset and that fixed it.

Not being able to remove the battery is still my #1 complaint with the iPhone/iPod. Wouldn't trade my Quantum for one, even for the slightly better graphics and larger app selection.
    Thanked by:

It depends what you're looking for. While there are plenty of arguments against Apple's hardware and iOS, it's not even remotely debatable that another phone offers better gaming. The iPhone still holds the reigning crown in that regard.

That being said, there's no reason why another company couldn't surpass them with time. At least Microsoft appears to genuinely wish to apply that pressure. They just need to attract more developers and find a better way of delivering key titles.

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Games that hit WP7 first, like The Harvest, look really good graphically speaking. Also, the 30fps limit on xna games has been lifted by MS. So, 60fps, here we go.

So, expect an evolution in the games department come Mango. It's kinda how the first generation of games for a new console don't look as good as subsequent gens.

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    So a really cute old couple stop a my work for a cover for it's ipod touch and we started making conversations. He had a couple of games but didn't knew how to play them. ( Fruit ninja, bunch of Angry bird versions, NBA Jam and some I didn't recognized ).

Anyway I'm a avid Fruit Ninja player, lacking only one luck related achievement. And I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Fruit Ninja running in IOS, it's like a completly different game, so smooth, so crisp.

Why do the games look so off on my platform? Anything that Mango will fix or just lazyness of the developers?
    I noticed the same thing regarding my Sensation vs my HD7. I've got Angry Birds installed on both but the Sensation plays the game a lot smoother. Not that WP7 doesn't play it smoothly because it does but next to the Sensation you can definitely tell the difference.
    I had this problem with the exact same game, so I opened up The Harvest and that seemed to silence iOS colleagues.

Richard Edmonds
    UK Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: rich@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @RichEdmonds
    Socl: RichEdmonds

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichEdmonds View Post
    I had this problem with the exact same game, so I opened up The Harvest and that seemed to silence iOS colleagues.
    I wanted to do that with Hydro Thunder. Man the disappointment in me is still palpable, I wanted it to blow me away.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    1. XNA games are capped at 30 FPS. This limit will be raised to 60 FPS with the Mango update

2. All WP7 devices use the same SOC, the 1st-gen Snapdragon (actually there are a couple different versions in WP7 devices, but the only difference is the type of radios they support). It has the Adreno 200 GPU, which is pretty underpowered by today's standards, and is totally blown away by the PowerVR SGX 535 in the iPhone 4.

The next generation of Windows phones use 2nd-gen Snapdragon SOCs with the Adreno 205, which blows away the Adreno 205 (3x more powerful).
    Writer

Global Posts
    317 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sharksandwich View Post
    The next generation of Windows phones use 2nd-gen Snapdragon SOCs with the Adreno 205, which blows away the Adreno 205 (3x more powerful).
    How does this Adreno 205 compare to the iPhone 4 hardware equivalent?
    Games Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: paul.acevedo@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Order & Chaos Online: EastWind - Join the WPCentral Guild!

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eastx View Post
    How does this Adreno 205 compare to the iPhone 4 hardware equivalent?
    I'd say it's definitely more powerful than the PowerVR SGX 535 that the iPhone uses, but not by a huge margin.

It's hard to get a direct comparison. Here you can get some idea though:
    AnandTech - The T-Mobile G2 Preview

The G2 uses the 2nd gen Snapdragon (although only clocked at 800 MHz). Nexus One and Evo 4G use the 1sg gen Snapdragon with the Adreno 200. Epic 4G and Fascinate use the PowerVR SGX 540 which is actually like 50% more powerful than the 535 used in the iPhone 4.

It's the first set of phones. Fresh users are always the beta testers. We'll see more juice in WP7 sets soon. I mean just look at what the Samsung Galaxy S 2 can do. If we're getting a WP7 version of that? I'm buying.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mirage View Post
    It's the first set of phones. Fresh users are always the beta testers. We'll see more juice in WP7 sets soon. I mean just look at what the Samsung Galaxy S 2 can do. If we're getting a WP7 version of that? I'm buying.
    Don't get your hopes up too high. As of now, WP7 only supports 1st and 2nd gen Snapdragon processors.

This is just my speculation, but the WP7 version of the Galaxy S II will almost certainly use the 1.4 GHz 2nd gen Snapdragon -- same CPU that the Galaxy S II Mini will use. That CPU is no slouch, but it is definitely not as powerful as the Exynos chip the real GSII uses.

I'm going to be lazy here for a moment and just ask why. Is it not a dual-core?

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mirage View Post
    I'm going to be lazy here for a moment and just ask why. Is it not a dual-core?
    What I'm saying is that the WP7 version of the GSII will not have the same internals. WP7 right now only supports the single-core Snapdragon processors.

GSII has the Exynos processor, which is arguably the most powerful dual-core mobile CPU out there. I expect it to be replaced with a single-core Snapdragon for the WP7 version.

That's not to say the 2nd-gen Snapdragon is a bad CPU. It's the same one used in the Thunderbolt and the Xperia Play. Also, those only run at 1GHz, but I have a feeling this new Samsung device will use the 1.4 GHz version.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Im playing with a GSII right now :) its pretty sick phone specially with he SUPPER AMOLED PLUS!!! only problem is ... well .. Android....

what makes you say that wp7 are not compatible with the same Processor? ill bet my left nut that next gen of wp are gona be duel cores.

if they are not compatible , why would they not make it compatible? i dout MS is telling them self . yeah lets stay BEHIND the curve... NOT!

either way , i hope your wrong lol ;) . or ill just wait for the 3 gen wp! Hah
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

It could just be the operating system in that case. I wouldn't claim to know, but I would assume it's much like how certain versions of Windows are limited in the amount of RAM you can use under them.

Maybe Mango is changing that, but no one has talked about it so it's impossible to guess.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    Im playing with a GSII right now :) its pretty sick phone specially with he SUPPER AMOLED PLUS!!! only problem is ... well .. Android....

what makes you say that wp7 are not compatible with the same Processor? ill bet my left nut that next gen of wp are gona be duel cores.

if they are not compatible , why would they not make it compatible? i dout MS is telling them self . yeah lets stay BEHIND the curve... NOT!

Microsoft is very strict about what processors are allow. That's to end fragmentation, since it means that every game and every app will work with Windows Phone 7.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post

Windows Phone 7.1 solely using second-gen Snapdragon chips | Electronista

Supposedly the 2nd-gen Snapdragon is the only chip certified for WP7, although recent rumors say the 3rd-gen Snapdragon (dual-core with Adreno 220 graphics) is also WP7 certified.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast