02-21-2013, 02:53 PM #26
- 126 Posts
I desperately need a windows surface tablet...
I just got the awesome limelight HTC 8x from AT&T but unfortunately my budget stops there. I could say that I dont own a laptop but I'm going to be straight. I do own one, but it drives me CRAZY.
I got my cheap HP netbook at Sams Club 3 years ago right after I came home from overseas in the Navy. It was the display model and the only one they had left but I was desperate. It came with windows 7 starter (everyone knows how much of a pain that is). I wanted to get rid of that OS as soon as possible so I went ahead and installed windows 8 consumer preview. I was happy with the OS...I praised it even though It was (and still is) very functionally limited on that device. Let me explain, my netbook cannot support the apps due to a low resolution so I have to connect my netbook to a monitor to use any startscreen apps. I can't even watch Hulu on the thing because it is so slow and constantly has issues with video. I had to do a factory reset at one point to try and fix some issues and that resulted in my registration code not working...so then I am stuck with limited options in settings. The camera does not work. And my biggest issue of all is the fact that my netbook now does not recognize the WIFI adapter and I cannot install a driver for it...so I'm stuck without wireless on a netbook...So many issues yet I still enjoy using windows 8 and the interface and would just once like to have a solid laptop with a solid windows 8 OS installed on it. When I was in the store getting my HTC 8x this week I notice the surface tablet and for the first time I was able to try it out. It blew my mind, that tablet is AMAZING in every way.
I need this not only because I love technology and windows, mostly because i'm going to school in March for computer networking and security and I don't have money for supplies. I need a good solid tablet to help me train in such a demanding IT field. I've honestly never won a contest in my life and here's hoping that karma finally catches up to me and ends my technical nightmare! Please consider me, Thank you for your generosity.
BTW. I would take my sisters cheap android tablet from her...but the thing overheats so much that it stalls and shuts itself down constantly but thats what you get with a cheap off-brand budget tablet right?
Well, SOMEONE thinks that it was a good buy...I mean, my pet bearded dragon doesn't seem to have an issue with it overheating...go figure.
Last edited by clbarker10; 03-01-2013 at 07:17 PM.
- 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM #27
PM me for more details
- 02-21-2013, 07:04 PM #29
- 02-21-2013, 07:05 PM #30
My Asus EP121 was great until about 2 weeks after the warranty expired. Now the screen has some weird problem, depending on what the image in the background is, pixels either appear as dead red pixels or flickering green and blue pixels. Very embarrassing to use anymore :(
As you can see, it may not be around much longer, and the doctors are recommending that we pull the plug soon. All we can do is keep it comfortable (that's why we have it in a snuggy) while the video ram continues to corrupt.
Last edited by cracgor; 02-23-2013 at 09:14 AM.
- 02-21-2013, 07:09 PM #31
Here with my old VAIO N PC, (7 years!) still with Windows Vista, and a dead battery (only wired working), not good for mobility in college with his 6.8 pounds.
I never own a tablet before, and I think this will be the best for my studies.
My principal need, is a device with great battery life, great mobility, and with office suite for all my works at the university.
(that Surface RT will be the best thing that can happen to me).
02-21-2013, 07:14 PM #32
- 3 Posts
This is my work tablet.... a state-of-the-art Fujitsu Stylistic ST4000. While this tablet was a high-priced wonder when it was purchased, I didn't have the luxury of using it in its hey-day. Instead, I have used it for the last two years... permanently attached to its base. Removal from the base shuts this tablet down immediately, so I suppose it has lived long enough to morph from tablet to a snail of a desktop PC. The network card does not work, so updating this beauty requires a USB drive. Indeed, I'm fortunate enough for it to still turn on, however, calling any time spent on this tablet "efficient work" would be sorely incorrect. It's extremely unfortunate this contest does not require a sound clip; the sound of this tablet is reminiscent of carpet bombing.
A Windows 8 RT tablet would not only improve my efficiency at work (and graduate school work), but would drastically improve my livelihood. Help me put grandfather Fujitsu to rest. He's dreadfully cranky.
- 02-21-2013, 07:40 PM #34
I absolutely NEED a new Surface or ASUS Vivo Tablet, because I will be attending college this year and will need a way to access the internet to complete assignments, etc...other than using my phone. Attached picture of my Droid Bionic, since I don't have a tablet or netbook, hopefully this won't disqualify my entry (= Thank you for the contest!!! Good luck everyone! Crossoldier 2/21/13
- 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM #36
This is my 2005, Toshiba Qosmio G15. It survived a tour in Iraq, but now, this XP stronghold only lasts about 30 seconds once unplugged. It has vertical lines that will not go away and speakers that only sound decent if I remove all low frequencies. Before the warranty ran out I sent it in for repair about 5 times over the course of three years. Needless to say, it can't travel from the bedroom to the kitchen without its power cord and the Centrino processor makes doing anything, even searching the web, very painful to endure. I use my windows phone when traveling to job interviews, because I do not have a travel laptop to help with last minute research, tracking, or prep work.
- 02-21-2013, 08:10 PM #37
So I have had this Lenovo thinkpad tablet for about a year and half ago. I somehow made it to this point in life without buying a laptop. I thought this would be awesome for school and it was... for awhile. I originally purchased it for handwritten notes because as an engineer, typed notes just aren't practical. It was good at that, but that's all. I thought I would be able to do word processing on it. What a joke. Android tablets just don't cut it as a Microsoft Word replacement. I won't even go into excel. Then it started to be really slow and the camera stopped working after the warranty expired - go figure. When I bought an 8x in November I fell in love with all things windows. With the new phone, I stopped using my tablet completely because my phone did everything faster, not to mention the 8x is just beautiful and awesome. I have been wanting a surface since it was announced in august. But the wife won't let me take the plunge. I am heading off to grad school in the fall and I think the surface could be my laptop, albeit the pro would be awesome too. My dad has a surface and I am so freakin jealous. With a new windows tablet I would finally have a reason to throw my thinkpad in the trash.
p.s. - The thinkpad tablet is massive! It is almost two ipads thick and it is also taller and wider than practically any 10 incher. It makes me mad just thinking about it.
- 02-21-2013, 08:25 PM #38
Alright... this is the Story of one broke man's quest to get a free laptop... and how he actually got it.
2005, I had just switched careers...after getting my A+ and Net+ Certifications after spending years as a Graphic Artist for Budweiser and delivering pizzas. New kid and all that jazz... I had no money. While playing on the interwebs I found out about the glory of affiliate marketing; not as an affiliate, but as a person that clicked links to see what they had to offer. Came across a site that gave away free laptops. Since I built my computer from old parts from a friends computer... a new one seemed like an awesome deal... I just had to try some weight loss pills, subscribe to Netflix, Disney book club, get some coffee... things like that... and they PROMISED me a free laptop. Well... I did everything they asked... when all was said and done I spent about $50 or so... and then I waited... and waited... and waited... and one day, while I was trying to sleep (I was working 3rd shift) the damn UPS man came and dropped off a package... and I'll be damned... it was a brand new Sony Vaio FS790B Laptop. IT WAS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! I jumped up and down like I had won the lottery! I couldn't believe that it had actually worked. I had my first BRAND NEW COMPUTER!!!!
I loved it... and my wife loved it... and my kids loved it... and well... It's been through the ringer... and it still works... albiet... slowly.
My wife uses it now... mostly to figure out non-techy ways to spend my money. While she's out partying with the girls I'm sitting here looking sad.
1. This is the Vaio... I finally got it in 2006. Since I've gotten I've kept it running through shear force of will. Numerous battery's which still don't work... I have to keep it plugged in to work.
2. This big thing it's sitting in? That's the Docking Station. It's a full size laptop, why would I need a docking station? Because my wife and kids refused to use it in a place where the cord isn't plugged into a high traffic area. They kicked the cord out of the thing so many times that the power adapter would no longer work because the socket in the laptop was broken. Rather than pay $200 to have it sent to Sony and fixed... I bought a used docking station which did a sufficient job of charging the battery (when the battery's worked).
3. That's the power adapter... My laptop is only as portable as the length of this cord and the dock it's attached to. Sometimes... I have to move it for my daughter because it's too heavy for her to move from place to place. I had to buy a weight bench so she could build up enough muscle to lug it around... and by around I mean from couch to couch... from outlet to outlet.
4. This is me. I loved this laptop with all my heart and these heathens ruined it. They can't even keep the screen clean. Why do they have to touch the screen? Why are there fingerprints on the screen? It's not a tablet. It... it just irks me and hurts me. My use of ellipses is out of control.... but it's o.k.
1. Speaking of the screen... Can you friggen believe this? This was my baby and someone sat on it. I can't tell you how many times I've walked into the living room or bedroom and found the laptop casually laying on it's side while one of my "loving" family members layed in they're own drool... have a care people! This was my baby. They broke the screen. I didn't even know. I actually had a couple of other netbooks before this but sold them because I still had a full size laptop... and low and behold... the screen was broken. Now to some it wouldn't matter. But I have successfully upsold my way into newer technology no less than 7 times... selling the old stuff for the new. I could have easily gotten $200 for this 7 year old laptop... but now I'd be lucky to get $80. The screen... arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I took back a Lumia 900 because I noticed the two dead pixels on the screen... it annoyed the **** out of me. Can you imagine how this makes me feel? I feel betrayed. I feel like Glenn feels when he thinks about what the Governor did to Maggie. I'm sorry FS790B... I am... now I want to go kill walkers.
2. I think I mentioned the broken power cord before... So I got a dock, and power cord, and 3 battery's and
3. I replaced the keys in the keyboard. For a long time the K or L didn't work. Found someone on ebay that sold individual keys... and I bought them... only to find out that underneath the keys were more little parts which I also had to buy. This was supposed to be a free laptop... I've had 6 other laptops in my house and they were all eventually sold... but we kept the Vaio... we loved it. I have spent close to $300 to keep this free laptop up and running and now all its' good for is slowly surfing the internet and warming our laps in the middle of winter.
So you may wonder why I need a new Tegra Powered Windows RT Tablet... It's because I will take care of it and use it for years and years and years and because, as much as I love my Vaio... it's a piece of Crap! Please give me one of the Tablets... You will not be disappointed!
- 02-21-2013, 08:33 PM #39
I'm using this old Gateway netbook with AMD K125... thing came with windows7 and now it can't boot in less than 5 minutes even on a clean install. Because of how sluggish it became, I was forced to install one of the most lightweight distros of linux (puppy)(for which I had to flash the BIOS because the keyboard wasn't recognized) and even now it still takes more than 2 minutes to boot, plus the wireless access at my university isn't exactly rock-solid (meaning most downloads get interrupted/terminated halfway through)...
The damn thing is pretty much useless at this point... except as a hand-warmer in class, this thing gets hotter than your average toaster and smells like molten plastic most of the time...
Did I mention the fan sounds like it's full of sand? I get stared at because of the noise...
I really need something new, and a tablet would be great to take notes...
- 02-21-2013, 09:03 PM #41
Well I don't have a netbook (but I have an extra large netbook called a laptop ;)) and nor do I have a tablet. So here is a picture of my toshiba satellite t130 (damaged on all the corners / silvered coloured plastic half peeled off and spotty lcd due to a drop and something hitting the screen) Now i know your thinking where am I in the photo, well my hairy legs are there and two photo id's my driving learners card and my student id and uni. Both photos were taken on the same day- well hour, hence why they are similar.
Now why would i need a Tablet? First of all I don't have one and with a basic keyboard it will be easy as to take notes with an university rather then my damaged, battery zapping laptop which you can see in the screen. It would also be lighter and easier to transfer around uni and to uni as i cycle, if i buy a small protective case to go in my backpack it will be perfect! Second of all I would love to test windows 8, running windows 7 on my laptop and on my old old Samsumg Omnia i think it was windows 5? Third but not least is... I hate apple. I don't want an Ipad and my misses was saying if I don't get a tablet soon an ipad tablet may head my way for my next birthday ./ christmas and i really really dislike apple. SO it will be doing her a favour too and saving her money (which is probably my money)
- 02-21-2013, 09:11 PM #42
My toshiba at200 is the worst tablet ever. feel like i just wasted all my savings on nothing. in jus less than a year its completly worn out . all the color on the back is faded away and it looks completly horrible. this tab has way to many bug. its soo laggy and even the simplest apps crash. i cant even get any work done with it. the stupid touch doesnt even work from time to time and toshiba wont even help me. this tablet is a joke i feel like i hav just given toshiba all the money i saved for nothing at all. havnt even gotten any software updates -_- . its gonna take years to save enough money to buy another tab again.
I would love to get a windows rt tab and would have been very useful since im starting collage soon :)
02-21-2013, 10:32 PM #45
- 67 Posts
This about says it all. Windows guy through and through. I got rid of my iPhone for for a 900, upgraded to the 920 the week it came out and I even convinced two iPhone owners to go Lumia 920. A surface would be awesome so I don't have to be "that guy" with the bulky laptop. I feel like Luke Skywalker carrying Yoda when I've got the laptop and all my books in my dark green backpack and yes, I went to Lowe's for the sole purpose of taking this picture of my laptop with a cinderblock.
Last edited by Dave Blake; 01-05-2014 at 05:15 PM.
- 02-21-2013, 10:54 PM #46
Ok...I'm kind of screw right now. My laptop died on me this week do to a faulty GPU card. Even though the company admitted using a faulty GPU card, I cant get service on the computer, because I'm out of warranty. To make matters worst, I just installed Windows 8 Pro on it.....This sucks. Please help WPC and NVIDIA....PLEASE!!! The wife wont let me buy a new PC!
- By Roland Tomczak in forum Developer SpotlightReplies: 24Last Post: 02-27-2013, 12:48 AM
- By George Ponder in forum Windows Phone Central ContestsReplies: 101Last Post: 07-23-2012, 03:38 PM
- By George Ponder in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 76Last Post: 05-25-2012, 08:49 AM
- By rternier in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 4Last Post: 04-16-2012, 02:34 AM