Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,418 Global Posts
    http://www.wpcentral.com/instagraph-...e-8-video-tour

So it's out! All Instagraph discussion goes here.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek and Vavali like this.

I guess we can make this the official thread for the incoming 3rd party app to allow WP8 users to post on Instagram. If you look at some of the comments on the main page IG story, many of the posters have posted their IG pages with pictures from Windows Phones.

So it's finally happening, when and what the heck Instagraph really is remains on lock down until WPCentral drops the bomb on all of us!

BOOM

Last edited by Ultimateone; 04-02-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Looks pretty cool. Glad it follows the metro theme.
    Jimmy Cooper likes this.
    awesome, can we sign up from it? i mean can we finally make an account from our own devices
    Jimmy Cooper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by halamadridkimi View Post
    awesome, can we sign up from it? i mean can we finally make an account from our own devices
    Looks like it :) See about 0:13 in the video!
    Jimmy Cooper likes this.

Instagram for android was released on April 3, 2012..so it wouldn't surprise me if Instagraph will be released on April 3, 2013 for WP, although I did assume that it would be an official Instagram app released, either way it's a win for Mircrosoft and a loss for apps like Instacam and Metrogram

I do apologize if anyone read a similar comment from me regarding this yesterday on the "April Fools" article..I've never been a fan of redundancies

I cannot wait for when this madness is finally behind us. ******* hipsters.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    This will be great. Itll be nice to be able to upload from my phone.

Curious if its only purpose is to upload or can we get our newsfeed, like, and comment through it too or am I going to still use WPGram for that. Also wonder if it will give us our notifications. Which WPGram doesnt.

Oh well either way Im happy.

now to divert more of our combined attention to snapchat
    Thanked by:
    LeLee092 likes this.
    I'm pretty sure that Instagram will block the app from posting pictures in less than one day.

They have probably studied how the iOS and Android app made calls between the phone and Instagram server, to replicate them.
    They have made a good work, although it's illegal.

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Valbusa View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Instagram will block the app from posting pictures in less than one day.

They have probably studied how the iOS and Android app made calls between the phone and Instagram server, to replicate them.
    Not if instagram opened their API. Which it looks like were waiting for that announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Valbusa View Post

I can't see why wpcentral would generate all this buzz around an "illegal" third-party client. It has to be authorized from burbn Inc. imo.

EDIT: Oh well... Guess I was wrong.
    Last edited by Jonas Jonsson; 04-02-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianLTE View Post
    Not if instagram opened their API. Which it looks like were waiting for that announcement.
    No, they just provide you read-only API. Take a look there: Media Endpoints • Instagram Developer Documentation
    "At this time, uploading via the API is not possible. We made a conscious choice not to add this for the following reasons..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Jonsson View Post
    I can't see why wpcentral would generate all this buzz around an "illegal" third-party client. It has to be authorized from burbn Inc. imo.
    Instagram allowed few clients with their api (Lomogram), not every home-made app like this one.

Trust me that Instagram will only allows trusted devs/apps to use their API.
    Vavali likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LumiaDream View Post
    I cannot wait for when this madness is finally behind us. ******* hipsters.
    Yes, instagram is merely a gathering of 100 million + hipsters around the world. News to my mother and pretty much everyone she works with.

Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    against user terms and conditions, they will kill it with the quickness

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhguth View Post
    against user terms and conditions, they will kill it with the quickness
    Sadly I agree with you. I was hoping for an open API announcement.
    The article on the first page states categorically it's not something where a switch can be flipped and the app is ruined. If Instagram as a company decide to change the way their current system operates and it does break the app (a bit like Google and Youtube keep trying to break Metrotube from working??) think about how that will look in terms of PR. Microsoft and Nokia are piling on considerable pressure to let the WP Platform access their service and they've been public enough about it that everyone knows the ball is in their court. If they suddenly break the only app on the WP service that works well with Instagram I shudder to think of the outcry that would cause from a lot of people.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    You are completely right... Its not an "shut up and take my money" situation!

But lets enjoy while it last.

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    instagram.jpg
    ~Sal

I have a feeling Instagram will lobby to MS to keep it out of the store since it uses some kind of workaround. They will probably label it as an "exploit" and get it shut down.

Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    The article on the first page states categorically it's not something where a switch can be flipped and the app is ruined.
    it also says its using a server relay, so it would be really easy for Instagram to block any activity from that address. They could then change addresses and resolve it, and Instagram could block that. Basically, it may continue to work, but it won't be smooth and will probably have a lot of interruptions.

I guess that's better than nothing, but its not really a solution.

and this is if it even makes it to the Store, which it may not even get that far.

Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    I have a feeling Instagram will lobby to MS to keep it out of the store since it uses some kind of workaround. They will probably label it as an "exploit" and get it shut down.
    Their method is not a product of reverse engineering(still legal). They use instagram original app in a virtual machine(this is also legal). They will most probably just block the ip from where the traffic originates and render the virtual machine useless.
    Anyway this is some expensive workaround.

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChMar View Post
    Their method is not a product of reverse engineering(still legal). They use instagram original app in a virtual machine(this is also legal). They will most probably just block the ip from where the traffic originates and render the virtual machine useless.
    Anyway this is some expensive workaround.
    Where did you get this information from?

I do not believe Instagraph has ever said anything about a virtual machine.

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    But Instagraph is a good thing! It shows how bad those poor Instaddicts wants the app and maybe Instagram will finally do something lol if it fails, i doubt they will ever believe WP needs it THAT much!

So i don't think Instagraph will be shut down...Instagram will prolly see how this app succeeds and then finally make an official one!

So i say to actually support this app along with #2instawithlove to attract Instagram attention to WP! Or perhaps they'll even give full API for Instagraph? Remember that "whitelist" talk?

Anything is possible xD

Quote Originally Posted by illegaloperation View Post
    Where did you get this information from?

I do not believe Instagraph has ever said anything about a virtual machine.
    No they didn't. They mentioned the azure ecosystem. And it's shown in the movie how it works. And from there anyone can make this educated guess. And there are only 2 ways to solve the instagram upload. Reverse engineer the android app or run the app in a virtual machine. They went for the second approach because if they would had reverse engineered the android app the upload would have been directly from the app and there would have been no need for a reroute through a server.
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast