Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
Like Tree4Likes
  1. afgzee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    334 Posts
    Global Posts
    402 Global Posts
       #1  
    No updates since early December, with no new features since 24th May 2012. This is quite alarming, because since Facebook is one of the most popular apps on all the platforms, you'd think Microsoft would be working hard to get it as much in line with the iOS/Android versions as they could, but seem s like they cannot be bothered, or don't really care.
    And the fact that it is missing even the very basic features like delete comments, add friends, delete friends, like pages etc... and is plagued with bugs such as refreshing and moving back to the top of the news feed for months...

    Does anyone know what is actually happening?
  2. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,319 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,654 Global Posts
    #2  
    I'm hoping Facebook is actually working on one. The "official" one is a joke. Third party Facebook apps suck something fierce because they don't have access to the same APIs offical apps or the website has and as such our feeds are full of junk posts that we should never see. touch.facebook.com is the only Facebook to use on a WP.
  3. Jaskys's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    527 Posts
    #3  
    The app we got is an official and it's abandoned 1-2 months already
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Facebo...32837726772540
  4. walter1832's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #4  
    The best one I found for the touch facebook, so far, is FACEBOOK FOR WP8. No ads.
  5. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,319 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,654 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaskys View Post
    The app we got is an official and it's abandoned 1-2 months already
    Facebook for Windows Phone | Facebook
    No, it's not official. It's written by Microsoft. They don't have access to the same APIs that apps developed by Facebook have, which is why the news feed is pretty worthless in the app.
  6. Trader05's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    #6  
    The Microsoft app needs to be updated and "standardized" to the current OS's. Maybe the notification center will shed new things to come.
  7. Jaskys's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    527 Posts
    #7  
    Well guys we won't get any bones till april, so lets keep waiting...
    I would like if people hub would be even more integrated with facebook, cause now it's kidna hard to navigate through it...
  8. KorJax's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    #8  
    Kinda confused here. The peoples hub works perfect for me, I don't need a separate Facebook app considering peoples hub does the exact same thing without needing an app to do it. That's kind of the point of windows phone in a way, is that you don't need apps to do every little thing like you do for iOS.

    the only downside (other than the names being way too big compared to the status updates or posts you Facebook contacts make) is it doesn't show private FB messages you get. Which I find is easily solveable by going into Facebook mobile from the browser- it runs really smooth as if it were an app and ironically is actually much better than what the android app gets you..
  9. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,319 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,654 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by KorJax View Post
    Kinda confused here. The peoples hub works perfect for me, I don't need a separate Facebook app considering peoples hub does the exact same thing without needing an app to do it. That's kind of the point of windows phone in a way, is that you don't need apps to do every little thing like you do for iOS.

    the only downside (other than the names being way too big compared to the status updates or posts you Facebook contacts make) is it doesn't show private FB messages you get. Which I find is easily solveable by going into Facebook mobile from the browser- it runs really smooth as if it were an app and ironically is actually much better than what the android app gets you..
    Yeah, not everybody notices the differences, it depends on how your Facebook is configured. Basically in my normal feed I don't have any game requests show up. I've hidden all those requests. The People Hub and the Facebook app do not honor those configurations so when I use the Facebook app or the people hub, it's full of crap that I have hidden away making it 100% worthless to me. The reason for that, I've always read, is that 3rd party apps do not get the same access into Facebook so it can not see those privacy type settings. A lot of people don't take the time to configure Facebook that way so they don't see a difference.

    So I totally ignore the People Hub, which is sad, and just use touch.facebook.com for everything.
  10. Ultimateone's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    764 Posts
    #10  
    No updates for a couple months equals abandoned? really
    Spicymikey likes this.
  11. KorJax's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Yeah, not everybody notices the differences, it depends on how your Facebook is configured. Basically in my normal feed I don't have any game requests show up. I've hidden all those requests. The People Hub and the Facebook app do not honor those configurations so when I use the Facebook app or the people hub, it's full of crap that I have hidden away making it 100% worthless to me. The reason for that, I've always read, is that 3rd party apps do not get the same access into Facebook so it can not see those privacy type settings. A lot of people don't take the time to configure Facebook that way so they don't see a difference.

    So I totally ignore the People Hub, which is sad, and just use touch.facebook.com for everything.
    I'm glad I don't have facebook friends that actually use facebook apps or anything then. I think I had one or two that did, but then I just blocked from from ever showing up on my feed and I don't seem to really get their status updates and other stuff showing up on my peoples hub either (if they did, I could simply remove them from the hub). No ideal I know if you happen to be FB friends with someone you want to get updates from but they also happen to like a bunch of useless crap on Facebook
  12. afgzee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    334 Posts
    Global Posts
    402 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaskys View Post
    The app we got is an official and it's abandoned 1-2 months already
    Facebook for Windows Phone | Facebook
    Yes it was updated in December, but looking at the public change logs, doesn't appear any new features, except a few minor bug fixes were added since 24th May 2012, that's almost 1 year. That is a long time....
    Thanked by:
    Jaskys 
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by KorJax View Post
    I'm glad I don't have facebook friends that actually use facebook apps or anything then. I think I had one or two that did, but then I just blocked from from ever showing up on my feed and I don't seem to really get their status updates and other stuff showing up on my peoples hub either (if they did, I could simply remove them from the hub). No ideal I know if you happen to be FB friends with someone you want to get updates from but they also happen to like a bunch of useless crap on Facebook
    I don't think People Hub or even Facebook app is capable of using first party APIs from Facebook that allow filtering of friends in the feeds, you will still be bombarded with friends who you've chosen to not show in your newsfeed on the website. So if you have 100 friends, 30 are barred from your newsfeed on Facebook.com, will still show all 100 friends' posting in People Hub and Facebook app. I have that main issue which sort of kills the effectiveness of the Hub.

    However, the way around it on phone is - creating groups. I've just created groups of people I want to stalk and the pinned huge tile for them on my home. So I have unpinned People Hub now because when something updates for people I really care stalking, my group tile flips and I go to see who did what. Easier than actual filtering on the Facebook app or website really!

    edit: of course the limit in groups is 20, so you might need to make more than one group. I have 4 atm.
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 02-23-2013 at 06:06 AM.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.


  14. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by KorJax View Post
    Kinda confused here. The peoples hub works perfect for me, I don't need a separate Facebook app considering peoples hub does the exact same thing without needing an app to do it. .
    It's fine if you don't need it but 90% of us here do. It's extremely irritating when someone comes in and recommends a frakin mobile website or the people hub.

    Both the mobile website and the people hub are an absolute clusterf*ck if you're half serious about using a social network. People hub misses about 95% of Facebook/Twitter features.
    Thanked by:
    ousooner314 and RyanR47 like this.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    It's fine if you don't need it but 90% of us here do. It's extremely irritating when someone comes in and recommends a frakin mobile website or the people hub.

    Both the mobile website and the people hub are an absolute clusterf*ck if you're half serious about using a social network. People hub misses about 95% of Facebook/Twitter features.
    People hub was never advertised as a Facebook app. It was just integration of core Facebook features i.e. posting, liking, updating, which it does just fine. For power users of course, nothing in Windows Phone is good enough. They need a laptop for that.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.


  16. ousooner314's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #16  
    For power users of course, nothing in Windows Phone is good enough. They need a laptop for that.
    Or, a Facebook-developed app like those available on Android and iOS.
  17. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    People hub was never advertised as a Facebook app. It was just integration of core Facebook features i.e. posting, liking, updating, which it does just fine. For power users of course, nothing in Windows Phone is good enough. They need a laptop for that.
    The problem is that Facebook integration is one of the most heavily advertised features of Windows Phone. If it only does about 5% of Facebook then why would they advertise it?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    The problem is that Facebook integration is one of the most heavily advertised features of Windows Phone. If it only does about 5% of Facebook then why would they advertise it?
    Mostly people prefer Facebook on the web anyway. Facebook integration on top is for normal Facebookers who want to post stuff on Facebook and like/comment other's stuff. That isn't just 5% of Facebook! In integrated way, you can view your newsfeed, comment, like, update status, upload photos, tag in photos, write on friend's wall, chat with Fb friends - that's more than 50% of what any normal person does on Facebook!
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.


  19. TonyDedrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    521 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Mostly people prefer Facebook on the web anyway. Facebook integration on top is for normal Facebookers who want to post stuff on Facebook and like/comment other's stuff. That isn't just 5% of Facebook! In integrated way, you can view your newsfeed, comment, like, update status, upload photos, tag in photos, write on friend's wall, chat with Fb friends - that's more than 50% of what any normal person does on Facebook!
    Well, I wonder if a product of that is due to the apps lacking alot of features and functions of web version.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDedrick View Post
    Well, I wonder if a product of that is due to the apps lacking alot of features and functions of web version.
    That link in my earlier post said nothing about WP or BB. However, it was mentioned that users on Android or iPhone might well prefer to be on web than app. The comments underneath from most platforms suggest, even the "best FB apps" on other platforms that other users in this thread have hailed to be much better than WP, doesn't suffice to do what you would usually do on a web browser. Hence, most users choosing to use web browser for Facebook.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.


  21. Mathematicsb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #21  
    There are several conversations about FB apps going on right now and I can't remember who posted this or where, but there's an app called webapps and it will let you easily pin a bunch of different apps. The FB web app is tons better. Only downside is no notifications but combine it with the built in WP8 stuff and I feel like its a pretty good FB experience. Sorry if this is off topic or rehashing what everyone else knows but it was helpful for me and maybe it will be for someone else!
  22. cameradork's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    552 Posts
    #22  
    I actually have no faith that a FB app would be any good for WP8 even if FB made it. People on my feed are forever pissing and moaning about how the official iOS app sucks and it doesn't let them do half the stuff the site does, and it's not showing pictures properly and certain things are left out of their news feed and ads are taking up their whole screen and yammer yammer yammer... The FB app for Android was fair, I guess, but notifications broke all the time and it was still horribly limited and unreliable. Facebook itself just doesn't understand mobile, IMO
  23. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by cameradork View Post
    I actually have no faith that a FB app would be any good for WP8 even if FB made it. People on my feed are forever pissing and moaning about how the official iOS app sucks and it doesn't let them do half the stuff the site does, and it's not showing pictures properly and certain things are left out of their news feed and ads are taking up their whole screen and yammer yammer yammer... The FB app for Android was fair, I guess, but notifications broke all the time and it was still horribly limited and unreliable. Facebook itself just doesn't understand mobile, IMO
    Facebook app for android = touch.facebook.com on WP.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.


  24. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,967 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts
    #24  
    I honestly don't use FB, so I really don't know how good or bad the app really is.

    The rare times I do go on FB, I use the PC.

    It would still be nice to get an app like iOS.

    WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod
  25. cameradork's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    552 Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Facebook app for android = touch.facebook.com on WP.
    The notification thing is what I'm really interested in, especially for FB messenger. I suppose we might need a notification center first to really make that work, but even something like a live tile that doesn't always show 99 new notifications regardless of how many I have, and lockscreen integration would be excellent.

    touch.facebook.com doesn't allow you to post photos on WP8 (browser isn't supported) which is a little annoying, but certainly not a dealbreaker since that seems to work okay from camera roll.

    Aside from that it seems very competent compared to the MS-authored FB app as long as you're okay with manually checking it and you're in an area with a decent enough connection.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Announcing the Official WPCentral app for Windows Phone 7
    By Duvi in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 197
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 11:13 AM
  2. The Facebook App sucks.
    By Averry in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 04:42 AM
  3. Anybody else think this way? Facebook App
    By FearThyWrath in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 03:00 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

B