Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Florin Anghel View Post
    The app developed will work for windows phone and windows RT, for windows 8 pro they will have to develop again the same app.
    You're confusing Windows Store applications with Windows 8 Desktop applications. All Windows Store applications can run on Windows RT and Windows 8 Pro as long as the developer compiles a separate version for each processor (ARM on Windows RT and X86+X64 on Windows 8 Pro) from the exact same source code if you're building a native code application using C++. There is no need to rewrite the code. Furthermore managed code applications written using C# can directly run across all processors without requiring a separate version for each processor. Only Windows 8 Desktop applications needs to be ported over to run on Windows RT. Window Store applications cannot directly run on Windows Phone 8 without changing code (mostly UI and phone-features related) but most of the existing code can be reused.
    Last edited by Bee Mon; 01-27-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Add more details

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaskys View Post
    Microsoft atm focused on other things of windows phone 8, they think that those "lil things" can wait.
    Well they better start getting this fixed as it isn't little and is bring the reputation of Windows Phone down.

No, I'm not, you are confusing what you read. I said for windows phone and RT the apps will work, windows 8 pro meaning windows 8 desktop needs another developing of the app. Learn to read.
    I said the apps on windows phone store are the same from windows RT store! RT! I didn't said windows x86/x64, I said RT! do you need a drawing?
    I know the difference between RT & x86/x64. You should stop posting until you read all the sentences, you will end up embarrassing yourself.
    Hate to burst your bubble mate but @Bee Mon is correct here. And you are the one confused.

As of now there are only 2 stores, windows phone store and windows 8 store.

Windows 8 Store, you can also browse via web:
    Apps for Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

Windows Phone Store, you can also browse via web
    Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Now with regards to RT and Win 8 Pro, they share the same store which is Windows 8 Store.

So no
    "windows phone store are the same from windows RT store! RT!"
    - this is invalid.

Now to further complicate things, Windows 8 Pro, can run both legacy software (win7 apps that only resides on desktop) and modern apps (which is offered in windows 8 store). While the limitation of Windows RT is that it can only run apps from Windows 8 store which is esscentially a modern win 8 app. The only thing RT can run on desktop mode is Office, Internet Explorer and Notepad.
    Bee Mon and TechAbstract like this.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Well Zilab i guess your right, because MS Surface runs on RT and ppl were not happy because you cant run desktop applications! Thats why MS made Surface Pro that runs on Windows 8 not RT.
    So again to my point, MS should ditch RT if it has the same store as W8 not WP8! and focus on both to make WP OS much much better

No, I'm not, you are confusing what you read. I said for windows phone and RT the apps will work, windows 8 pro meaning windows 8 desktop needs another developing of the app. Learn to read.
    I said the apps on windows phone store are the same from windows RT store! RT! I didn't said windows x86/x64, I said RT! do you need a drawing?
    I know the difference between RT & x86/x64. You should stop posting until you read all the sentences, you will end up embarrassing yourself.
    Yes I read all your sentences before I posted. Your previous post was vague and confusing and your new post is even worse as you are now confusing operating systems with app stores and app types. Windows RT is an OS, not a store. Windows 8 Pro is an OS, not a kind of application. If this is the way you explain things to people, then you should be the one that is embarrassed. Maybe you should provide drawings but I hope they contain more than just a bunch of rectangles. Lastly I'm not going to get myself involved in a pointless debate with some angry and defensive individual who attacks me for no reason other than disagreement with your post so bye-bye, forever. Have fun embarrassing yourself further.
    Bilal_Fakih likes this.
    Microsoft atm focused on other things of windows phone 8, they think that those "lil things" can wait.
    Other things like what?

These bugs haven't been addressed in TWO years!
    WTFlower is up with you guys with person attacks? This ain't fruits and robots community. Stay focused please, before a mod closes a discussion that was going in the right direction!
    Thanked by:
    Okay to simplify...Microsoft has Microsoft store, Windows store and Windows phone store
    Microsoft store is for purchase of PC's, laptops, Xbox, Office, Tablets
    Windows store is to download windows 8 and its relevant apps...one can find apps for Surface RT here but not all apps would work on RT
    Windows phone store is as the name suggests

Am I right folks or do I need to understand something else?? This s**t is pretty confusing...

MS released Surface RT...then said all your apps cannot work on it...but apart from the existing Windows app there are no specific apps for windows RT...so a consumer is left with a tablet having some pre-installed apps and thats about it..hence poor sales for RT leading to further fall in app build up rate..

Windows phone market is growing but there are still no apps..

What I get from all these is that somewhere MS has got all this messed up..

The simple strategy would be having windows 8 and surface pro running same apps...and windows phone sharing same kernel...so that the developer needs to build an app once and modify a bit to release it on all platforms...why the **** do we require Surface RT and its related confusion??
    Last edited by chetan_merchant; 01-27-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Yes he is right...please let the post proceed in right direction..

Global Posts
    32,194 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    No personal attacks are permitted per forum rules. http://forums.wpcentral.com/wpcentra...020-rules.html

• Personal Attacks - Constructive discussions, debates and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to neither criticize nor insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If you are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic; you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.

This thread will remain civil or it will be closed.
    eric12341 likes this.
    Yeah it works perfectly via me and people tiles but official facebook app is a piece of crap...
    And me and people tiles shows that you logged through pc.. So it's a bad thing too.
    It works perfectly for me through the app.

Quote Originally Posted by chetan_merchant View Post
    There are plenty of apps.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dainla View Post
    He means the best apps that most of the ppl would like to use and also not offical applications

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Don't get me wrong windows phone has some good quality apps but the big ones are much better on android with way more functionality and they just work. I always got my notifications on my android phone they were always quick and I never missed them because of the fantastic notification centre I'm not trying to be a fan boy but I don't think anyone can deny that one of the greatest things about android is the notification centre/drop down bar even ios stole the idea. I'm really hoping to get a lot out of this platform but if things don't improve what is the point! It's 2013 hardware and software is really advanced now, people aren't going to be patient enough to wait for basic things!

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Can we get back to the topic now? Notifications?

I agree with sharpinator, its been long enough waiting for these issues to be fixed and they have yet to be addressed years later. They need to get their act together and very fast as i already feel burned about my L900, i gave it another shot with L820, but ashore this will be my last Windows Phone if notifications are not fixed quickly and app quality is not improved at a faster rate. I find it unbelievable that even apps developed by Microsoft and major apps that change peoples minds about a phone (that being Facebook) are neglected so much.

Does anyone have any news about any updates for Facebook app as there was little change from v2.7 to v4.0 and virtually no changes at all from v4.0 to v4.1. And i wonder where is that promised update for WhatsApp and Viber? And where is the WP8 compatibility for Tango? Also where is the basic sign out feature for Skype?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,473 Global Posts
    Yes it does mate. When you access the store from Surface RT you get the same apps from windows phone.
    Actually no, it doesn't. As someone who is developing for the Windows Phone Store (it's in Alpha stage atm though, certain issues delaying the app from going into Beta), and has had a look at Windows Store development (though not actively pursuing it currently as the mobile app is a higher priority), I can tell you with confidence the apps are separate. You have to develop to a unified, but at the same time noticeably different codebase. Unified as in it's the same language and most of the code can be re-hashed and reused, but different in that you have to target the specific features and APIs across the different platforms. As such, they have to be released separately, and they also require separate developer subscriptions!

Quote Originally Posted by afgzee View Post
    Ah, notifications. Yes, these have to be enabled via a Microsoft Push Notification Service. Thing is, you have to authorise/validate your service (can't remember the exact terminology they use) otherwise your notifications for your apps will be bottlenecked. There are also limits on how many apps you can use a MPNS on. Maybe WhatsApp for example isn't using an authorised MPNS?
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 01-27-2013 at 10:18 PM.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Toast notifications for me work flawless on my lumia 920 reliable toasts and me tile working properly as well.
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.- Plato

Quote Originally Posted by afgzee View Post
    There is no greater topic that has been covered about WP8 on this forum and all forums than a notification center.

Personally, not interested. Hated it on Android. Don't want.

I have had zero problems with toast notifications on my 810

Quote Originally Posted by Bilal_Fakih View Post
    He means the best apps that most of the ppl would like to use and also not offical applications
    Why would you buy a phone with a new OS and complain about a lack of apps?

Quote Originally Posted by chetan_merchant View Post
    Okay to simplify...Microsoft has Microsoft store, Windows store and Windows phone store
    Microsoft store is for purchase of PC's, laptops, Xbox, Office, Tablets
    Windows store is to download windows 8 and its relevant apps...one can find apps for Surface RT here but not all apps would work on RT
    Windows phone store is as the name suggests

Am I right folks or do I need to understand something else?? This s**t is pretty confusing...

MS released Surface RT...then said all your apps cannot work on it...but apart from the existing Windows app there are no specific apps for windows RT...so a consumer is left with a tablet having some pre-installed apps and thats about it..hence poor sales for RT leading to further fall in app build up rate..

What I get from all these is that somewhere MS has got all this messed up..

The simple strategy would be having windows 8 and surface pro running same apps...and windows phone sharing same kernel...so that the developer needs to build an app once and modify a bit to release it on all platforms...why the **** do we require Surface RT and its related confusion??
    I don't really understand how you're getting so confused?

It's pretty simple really - Windows phone 8 store = phone apps - they share a lot of the same architecture as Windows 8, so porting applications from Windows 8 to Windows phone 8 is made more simple thanks to the tools MS has provided.

There are plenty of apps for Windows RT - in fact, there are MORE big name apps on RT than on Windows Phone 8. Windows 8 store is a place to get all your software from. If it's compiled for ARM - it'll show up on your RT device. If it's not, then it wont. It can be a little confusing for consumers to understand the differences in architecture but all in all, I think most people understand the differences here.

Trust me when I say that there are no shortages of apps for RT and it's growing fast.

Even though it's putting MS in a difficult place now, they had to separate RT and legacy apps - why? Let's say MS said all Windows 8 applications had to be compatible with RT (Arm processors) - That would mean there would be NO applications, NO software, basically nothing - My alienware desktop would only be running Angry Birds right now... In 2 years time, when all apps are compiled for both ARM and x86 processors, then MS can start integrating, but right now think of it as a system requirement - your ARM based computers (RT) can't handle the power needed from x86 chips.
    Blackberry Storm -> Moto Q -> OG Droid -> (started working for AT&T) iPhone 3gs -> HTC Aria -> Samsung Captivate -> HTC Surround -> Dell Streak -> HTC Inspire -> Moto Atrix -> Nexus S -> Galaxy S II -> (stopped working at AT&T) Droid Bionic -> Galaxy Nexus -> HTC 8x

Current rig:
    HTC 8x
    Microsoft Surface RT
    Alienware x51 (gtx670 and Windows 8)
    Nexus 7
    iPad (original) (DVR scheduler and TV remote)

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Why would you buy a phone with a new OS and complain about a lack of apps?
    Your post is kinda tricky! For sure it wont be smart to buy a phone without knowing what it has! I knew that WP has Facebook, Twitter,Whatsapp, even viber, the lack of games..etc but like everyone said. Wait and all the goods apps will come! So i bought the phone and by the way i love the OS but when i started the phone and got the Apps. Some of the apps quality were not good. others were there and were pulled out for a fix like whatsapp and viber! You expect that Skype will be so amazing, you figure out that you can sign out! So i know all about the apps availability but not the quality which by time im experiencing them! I hope u understand my point and everyone else!
    I agree with Bilal here...I too love the OS, its fast and has great potential.

I knew what apps I will have, since I was using Lumia 800 since 1 yr. My problem is 3 months since the launch, the apps MS promised have not been launched yet and no news. The apps in WP store might be good but they are not the top apps across other platforms. Certain old apps are not working with new platform. I am in medical profession and don't even get me started on medical apps. I might not have the patience that others might have but i feel that's how today's gadget users are.

Regarding notification center even if you have built a live tile for an app, if you miss the notification you have to scan live tiles of all the apps which can send u a toast and than open the one which is showing some number over it. So its a big process...hunting a live tile...opening an app and then replying.

A decent notification center will save this trouble.
    jlzimmerman likes this.

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Yes, there are plenty of apps, which is great. The problem is the quality and features of those apps, especially when comparing popular apps to their counterparts on other platforms. That will continue to be one of WP's Achilles heals until fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by jlzimmerman View Post
    Yes, there are plenty of apps, which is great. The problem is the quality and features of those apps, especially when comparing popular apps to their counterparts on other platforms. That will continue to be one of WP's Achilles heals until fixed.
    Maybe. Personally, I couldn't stand a lot of the Android apps because they were overly complicated and messy. Prefer WP8 that I find to do the same functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilal_Fakih View Post
    Your post is kinda tricky! For sure it wont be smart to buy a phone without knowing what it has! I knew that WP has Facebook, Twitter,Whatsapp, even viber, the lack of games..etc but like everyone said. Wait and all the goods apps will come! So i bought the phone and by the way i love the OS but when i started the phone and got the Apps. Some of the apps quality were not good. others were there and were pulled out for a fix like whatsapp and viber! You expect that Skype will be so amazing, you figure out that you can sign out! So i know all about the apps availability but not the quality which by time im experiencing them! I hope u understand my point and everyone else!
    I do a bit but I just figured it would be a while before everything was worked out. We're early adaptors. That's never and easy ride.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast