Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Do you want a file manager?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

81 79.41%
  • No

9 8.82%
  • I don't care

12 11.76%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Poll...
    Do you want on windows phone 8, a file explorer/manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 01-09-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    yes, that would help to manage apps and games from phone memory to sd memory
    Yes, and hope this can help solving the "OTHERS" storage problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remidzy Navikas View Post
    yes, that would help to manage apps and games from phone memory to sd memory
    Adding features that allows/requires users to fiddle around with things they shouldn't need to fiddle with in the first place is a terrible idea. It's like adding a treadmill to every Sony television because their power cords are defective. Fix the problem, don't engineer around it.

Quote Originally Posted by takisrock View Post
    Do you want on windows phone 8, a file explorer/manager?
    As it is now, each app saves files in its own storage area that is isolated from every other app and shielded from direct user access. The only way to access such a file is by uploading a copy to a server, typically SkyDrive, and accessing it there. Unfortunately, not every app can upload files. Even if a particular app can upload files to SkyDrive, that might not always be appropriate. For example, many people have their own NAS servers at home and would appreciate being able to upload their files via shared folders, WebDAV or FTP. The inability to attach arbitrary files to e-mails is a similar problem. As it is now, every app must include these exact same features... over and over again, as part of every individual app. Not good.

These are what I perceive to be the main file related problems. I'm doubtful that a file explorer app is the best way to solve these though.

For anyone on this forum a file explorer app certainly wouldn't cause any problems, but for many of the more casual smartphone users it may. Such an app also has the potential to introduce security holes into the system.
    Thanked by:
    BeaverJuicer likes this.

Yes. Along with ability to save any type of file to your phone from email or website. I hate how you are limited to only a few types of files that can be saved to the phone.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    wow first vote for no :)

Okay the reason i voted no is i love wp8 because of the simplicity. I know having another option is great and all but i like the fact that it does not have a file explorer
    Mohak Adav likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzyq8 View Post
    wow first vote for no :)

Okay the reason i voted no is i love wp8 because of the simplicity. I know having another option is great and all but i like the fact that it does not have a file explorer
    I doubt Microsoft will introduce a publicly accessible file system and a file explorer, no matter how many people ask for it. It appears completely at odds with current OS concepts. Simplicity, as you mentioned, is certainly one reason that stands against doing so.

Furthermore, a file explorer is a solution, but whether or not that solution actually solves the problems people are experiencing is an entirely different question. I'm guessing more often than not it wouldn't.

Finally, there are usually many possible solutions to any given problem, so focusing on a particular solution without having a clear understanding of what everyone's issues are usually isn't worthwhile. I feel that is what is being done here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToneZone View Post
    I feel like you have no idea what you are talking about
    (trying to resist the urge to quote myself)
    I'm glad that feeling is mutual. Based on the fact that I'm a software developer and work with Nokia and Microsoft, I feel quite confident.
    I just want to be able to download a pdf and view, send or upload at my leisure and a file manager would accomplish this smashingly

Call it what you want but the only way to accomplish these task is some kind of app(manager) that can view your downloads(files) and interact with them.
    If you truly believe there is but one way to accomplish the simple tasks you've listed, then you suffer from a lack of imagination. Usually many solutions exist to any given computing problem.

If your list included every required feature, I would view a file explorer app as complete overkill. I can think of multiple ways of meeting those requirements without:

a) a file explorer app
    b) requiring every developer to replicate file related functionality in every app
    c) compromising the security/reliability benefits offered by isolated storage (which a file explorer app would)
    Last edited by a5cent; 01-10-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    If you truly believe there is but one way to accomplish the simple tasks you've listed, then you suffer from a lack of imagination. Usually many solutions exist to any given computing problem.

If your list included every required feature, I would view a file explorer app as complete overkill. I can think of multiple ways of meeting those requirements without:

a) a file explorer app
    b) requiring every developer to replicate file related functionality in every app
    c) compromising the security/reliability benefits offered by isolated storage (which a file explorer app would)
    You are correct.
    But what about your own files? simply files, music, photos, videos and even documents,
    the sd card has folders but only appears on a pc, and you can't manage them until you reach a pc.
    I don't care about the apps folder. It just a different view.
    and good or bad, that I don't see it coming...
    Thanked by:
    Aanze 
    What about allow us to download/upld from skydrive when we need it?
    Last edited by francisco velasquez; 04-03-2013 at 04:38 PM.

^use the SkyDrive app for Windows Phone. Are trying to use the web version or something?

Its more about being able to manage, download, email, etc OUR files, no matter the file type. Its really a simple friggin concept but thus far, MS refuses to give this simple ability.
    MS has been very hard headed about some things with WP OS's. And I think it does more to hurt them and us, than anything else.

They market it as OUR Windows Phones, yet there is plenty we can't even do with our own files.

And ****, they couldn't even give us a color maker to choose our own colors, instead giving us a small choice to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGx View Post
    Its more about being able to manage, download, email, etc OUR files, no matter the file type. Its really a simple friggin concept but thus far, MS refuses to give this simple ability.
    MS has been very hard headed about some things with WP OS's. And I think it does more to hurt them and us, than anything else.

They market it as OUR Windows Phones, yet there is plenty we can't even do with our own files.

And ****, they couldn't even give us a color maker to choose our own colors, instead giving us a small choice to choose from.
    1. File manager access, especially through 3rd party apps is a security risk.

2. The UI uses the accent color for informative and actionable content. If given full control to the user, they may use a color too hard to see. While you may say that they should just let the user **** it up if they want, there is value to maintaining a certain level of control. Look what happens with Android, I've seen some horrible customizations on those phones.

At my company we've struggled with similar situations with our customers ability to customize colors in our product
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGx View Post
    Its really a simple friggin concept but thus far, MS refuses to give this simple ability.
    because the problem is easy to understand
    Both of you fail to understand the breadth of the issues involved.

Do you understand the problems Microsoft addressed with WP's isolated storage?
    Do you understand the problems addressed by WP's security model?
    Do you understand the problems that lead Microsoft to disallow even developers from accessing WP's file system directly?

If you don't, then you understand but 1% of the problem. Solving people's issues with WP's file management isn't just about addressing your simple list of requirements... any potential solution must also preserve and fit in with the functionality and features that are already part of the OS, most of which isn't immediately apparent to end users. My point is that although your simple list of requirements is easy to understand, the entirety of the problem is not.

Let's hear what your solution is
    That isn't a five minute write up. Right now I just haven't got the time, but I'll get back to you soon.

Like I have said from the beginning, the sandbox created by M$ is the true problem

Do you understand the problems M$ created with their isolated storage model?
    Do you understand the problems M$ created with WP security model?
    Do you understand how these limitations discourage app development on the platform? (especially for top tier apps)
    Do you understand how a secure environment is inconsequential with a dwindling 3% market share?

As a self proclaimed Nokia and Microsoft software developer (lol, I'm a google software developer) you forget the main point in all of this, ROI. I feel like you are ignoring shortcomings for no reason beyond blind fanaticism when it is clear that M$ has thrown out the baby with the bath water and the majority of this forums users agree.
    If you're an Android developer, that explains your over anxious need to access everything on someone's smartphone. Meanwhile Android is stuffed with crapware and malware, etc.

There is a **** ton you can do on a phone app without having to access the phones native file system.

It sounds like you have some ulterior motive for that access...

I say NO, I do not need or want a "file manager" on windows phone. If I was looking for that kind of control over the phone, I'd just use android.

I wouldn't say it's an anxious need to want to be able to download a PDF. I would say your immediate defense of the system M$ has created is far more telling than what you could read into people wanting the ability to achieve simple tasks on their handsets.

I never claimed you needed access to the native file system but some part of the file system will need to be opened or created for general consumption. You and A5cent keep saying there are solutions at the app level within the confines of the M$ sandbox but nobody has offered a single idea while everyone requesting a file manager of some sort has already come up with a solution to the problem listed.

And I called myself an android developer in jest, because I've tinkered with writing android apps, just like A5cent is clearly not a professional developer for M$ or Nokia.
    I never said there was a solution for a file manager with WP and developers. I simply said that in general there are a lot of things you can do when developing for WP and its much easier for a W8 port to WP8.

Most people don't need a file manager and most developers don't need access to one for apps.
    Would a file manager be nice? Sure, but for most peoples needs, being able to put files on the phone though windows explore and SkyDrive is enough. Not being able to do what you want is not some catastrophic issue for developers that makes the OS impossible to develop for or scare 99% of them a way.

You act as if WP is impossible to develop for because of this restriction. "M$ sandbox" this and that. What about iOS? Have you ever tried developing for that? Its a royal nightmare.

In fact, although I haven't used it lately, but is there even a file manager for it?

You've played with Android right? What about the fact that there is a million versions of Android out there because half the phones can't update? So now developers have to create 10 different versions just so they can get it on everyone's phone.

Each platform has its draw backs WP is actually pretty damn easy to develop for though despite your rant for a stupid file manager.
    Last edited by spaulagain; 01-11-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    a5cent and BeaverJuicer like this.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    You don't have to use it just because it is there.

I am more interested in the protected memeory spaces. Would a file manager actually cause an issue with protected file spaces?

I was so thrilled to get a file manager when I switched from iOS to Android a few years ago. Turns out I used it once to see what it was like. Guess I'm not a power user :)

Having the apps be smart enough to know what file types it can interact with works fine for me, and there's SkyDrive and the PC interface for pretty much everything else. So one vote for "I don't care", though now that I think of it, I might change it to "no" because I'd rather them use the resources to add some other features like ringer profiles.
    a5cent likes this.

The problem isn't the file manager, like i said, it's the restrictions on file types. You should be able to download a pdf, plain and simple
    I just downloaded a PDF and viewed in adobe reader on my windows phone. Just to be a ****, I downloaded it from my dropbox.

If you want a phone with root access, an unrestricted file system, and apps that can snoop into any other apps on the phone, get an android, they can easily be made to do these things.

Edit: Forgot to mention bringcast, which is a decent podcast app, and downloads my podcasts to the phone. It's not rocket science, guy.
    a5cent likes this.

There is no Adobe Reader in WP8, you are on 7
    Yep. Just to be a ****.

No seriously, your banging your head against a wall that Microsoft put up to keep people like you out.

Why did you buy a Windows Phone? Did you not realize the significant differences between it and other mobile OSes would present you with exactly the issues which you are now complaining about? Could you be any more out of touch with yourself?

My biggest gripe with your thread, is that you presume to suggest that EVERYONE wants what your asking for.

This isn't my thread

The majority do want what I'm asking for. Other than a vocal minority every poll mirrors my opinion, I have thanks and likes every time I log into this forum. I will be honest, if I knew I wouldn't be able to download a pdf to my phone or schedule podcast downloads I would not have bought my Lumia because I podcast constantly and I move pdf's regularly for work. I love the phone and I don't give a **** about instagram or even file managers for that matter, I just see it as a solution to one of my gripes with the platform.

Obviously M$ has issues with their hidden storage, the "other" data is a serious problem and is making peoples 8x's unusable. If M$ can't manage their data then a user should be able to manage their own, at least in a way that keeps their handset in a functional manner.
    Sorry, I mistakenly assumed you were the OP, but regardless, there is not a broad enough base of windows phone users that partake in polls here or elsewhere, and so it would be disingenuous to suggest that a majority want a feature unless a customer survey that is broadly participated in is undertaken to determine such user demands. If you know of one, I would be interested to see it. Perhaps Microsoft has some customer feedback data that could shed light on the issue.

At least your honest about your own lack of research into the features that you now realize were more critical to you, bit which are not available on your phone.

If the 8X is really having these "other" storage issues, then that would suggest its related to something to do with that phone in particular, but I have no experience with WP8 as of yet, so I can't (should not) really speak to that.

Also the video folder is doomed to stay empty forever if i cant move them out of the camera roll
    Wait, what?

If I film a video with the camera, it appears in both the camera roll, and the music/videos hub. Am I missing something?

There is no Adobe Reader in WP8, you are on 7
    Which means it will be out on 8 soon.

And there is a native PDF reader preloaded on the OS (same as Windows). I've used it multiple times for work. Works just fine.

At this point it seems like you're just building steam for the **** of it. So whatever your problem is, I don't care anymore. You just make up more **** to **** in the water hole anyways.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast