I currently use WizTiles for custom tiles to use as folders/categories/separaters. But, the tile res is low and not updated to work on lumia 920 resolution.

Is there an app out there at the moment that has the updated wp8 resolutions?

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    BUMP I'm curious as well

Same here; and I really like Wiztiles so I hope the developer updates his app for WP8. OP, have you tried contacting the developer? I have, but haven't heard anything back yet. Maybe if enough people do contact them, they'll look at it again (or maybe they're already working on it).

Agreed. I just discovered this functionality for making categories, etc. yesterday, but the resolution of the custom times on my Lumia 920 doesn't look so hot.

One other option is to make dummy contacts (named 01-contact or something...I named mine Џ-c01 using the (I think) Cyrillic character puts them all at the end of my contacts list and out of the way in the international section) using a high-res image for their profile. Just pin the contact to the start screen. You don't get the live tile functionality (unless you name the contact "media" for example then it flips to that word as a medium sized tile).

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    My Live Tile

It's what I use on my Lumia 920, and it works well, and looks good doing it.
    "Rangers Lead the Way!"