Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    What a load of crap. The whole "Windows Phone needs subscribers" thing was plausible, until I saw that BB10 is getting this. What is the current marketshare of BB10? 1%? LESS?!

The answer to how this gets fixed is money. Someone said that there needs to be a guaranteed revenue stream because of long-term maintenance, and that is true. That's EASILY fixed with an annual subsidy. For example, say it costs $5,000 to keep the platform working each year. Guarantee $10,000 in revenue, regardless of subscriber count. That tells the developer (in this case, MLB) that there will ALWAYS be money to make in the platform.

Sorry, but once I see that BB10 is getting stuff, the excuses are out the window. I know that the OS is something of an Android copycat, so ports are probably really easy, but Microsoft has SO MUCH MONEY to throw at the platform and grow it that they DO OWE US such things. It's bad enough that the company that makes the best-selling console in the United States is being outdone on the gaming front by a freaking phone manufacturer (Nokia) as it is. Other than commercials with people I care nothing about (I didn't care about Gwen Stefani when she was actually relevant, let alone now), how is Microsoft committing to the platform? I'm not asking for apps to be released right here and now, but a roadmap, or even name-dropping stuff that is in-development would suffice.
    aximtreo likes this.

Global Posts
    7,945 Global Posts
    Blackberry is probably just getting the Android 2.3 app put in their store.
    That's an Android 2.3 app more than Windows Phone is getting regardless.

Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Blackberry is probably just getting the Android 2.3 app put in their store.
    Something > Nothing

Global Posts
    7,945 Global Posts
    Of course, but it's probably taking the developers zero effort to put that in the store.
    It's important to note that last year we didn't get MLB At Bat until Opening Day. However, last year it was actually listed on the At Bat homepage saying coming Opening Day. This year? Nothing. At this point, I don't even care if it's just an updated version of last years app I just need something.
    If blackberry gets the app and we don't.... I don't know man. This is getting ridiculous and it is hard to continue cheerleading when I'm even getting frustrated. I know there is maintenance of the app and there needs to be devs on the team but can't Microsoft do ANYTHING? Some have indicated that it Microsoft doesn't support the format. If that's the case then can't Microsoft be working on that?

Can we sign a petition? Can we donate to MLB or Microsoft? Can Microsoft do anything other than sit and watch as Blackberry!?!? gets major apps before them?
    Also. Is there anything on MLB developing for Windows 8? Wasn't Windows 8 going to bring more incentive to create apps and in turn make those apps easier to port?

Global Posts
    7,945 Global Posts
    Nope, no word on that either. At least on Windows 8, you could just view it in the browser though. On Windows RT, just like Windows Phone, it sounds like there won't be any option.
    I wonder if Microsoft could literally just start hiring developers to get this stuff done. You know, hire a 5-man team of guys to make an MLB app, get a 5-man team to make an Instagram app, and so on. Basically hire about 100 developers and let companies borrow them, if they legitimately cannot convince the developers to make stuff themselves.

I just sent customer service an email stating that they lost a two-time subscriber until they bring proper Win 8/WP8 support:

"Do you have any plans to develop apps for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8? I have subscribed to MLB.tv for the past two seasons but unfortunately I do not plan on renewing my subscription until my devices are supported."

These types of things are about all we can do at this point. If you want an app, take a couple minutes to write customer support or the devs and let them know there's an audience for their work on WP8. You likely won't like the answer you hear back but the few times I've done this I've felt good that I've at least taken the time to reach out and try to improve the app situation, and it doesn't require much effort at all.
    Residing likes this.

It actually does work through the browser on Windows RT, so that just leaves Windows Phone out of the loop. I've already voiced my displeasure with the situation several times over on the MLB.TV forums. I suggest you all do the same and show that there's a real demand for this app. http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/foru...btag=ml-help01

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Word on the street is that Blackberry is developing the app for MLB and that it is a native app, not an Android port.

Grain of salt, but my source has been good in the past. Knowing first hand (as a former user) that RIM used to develop many of the key apps that were available on the old OS, I believe it.

Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    The fact that Microsoft refuses to do the same for key apps (save Facebook) is frustrating beyond all belief

Global Posts
    7,945 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoester09 View Post
    It actually does work through the browser on Windows RT
    Don't you need to install a Nexdef plugin to be able to view it in the browser? It's been a few years since I subscribed.

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Don't you need to install a Nexdef plugin to be able to view it in the browser? It's been a few years since I subscribed.
    You need Nexdef for video only. Gameday Audio does require Flash in the browser.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    I laughed. I cried. I shook my damn head. I was reminded of why I keep my Galaxy S3 in my other pocket.
    tgp likes this.

Global Posts
    966 Global Posts

This is a big bummer for myself, a MLB.tv subscriber, I can't always be at my PC when a game is on. How about some limited Flash support for WP8 like WinRT?

Global Posts
    1,419 Global Posts
    Try and get this thread going with more people! http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/foru...btag=ml-help01
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone

You need Nexdef for certain features, like the radio overlay to go with the video and full HD res, but I tried some archived games from 2012 when I first got my Surface (before I angrily cancelled my subscription) and it worked fine. The quality was pretty good, despite not having Nexdef.

Bah. Stumbled across this thread today because my Braves are playing today and I can't for the life of me find an AM radio. This is really frustrating - last year was bad enough that they release the crippled app, this year they do nothing at all?

I'm sure I wasn't the only one, but because the WP MLB app was so gimped compared to the iOS and Android versions, I refused to buy anything. I wonder if people doing that affected sales of the app in such a way that MLB thought the market was a lot smaller than it actually is.
    I did the same thing last year. The app was so terrible. I opened a thread under At Bat on the forums. Everyone here should voice their complaints. Maybe they think we are the small minority but at least we can become the loud vocal minority

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Petersen View Post
    I did the same thing last year. The app was so terrible. I opened a thread under At Bat on the forums. Everyone here should voice their complaints. Maybe they think we are the small minority but at least we can become the loud vocal minority
    or maybe Microsoft could have developed the app for MLB this year to prove the platform has value for them?

This is a huge hit for me. I don't give two quick squirts about Instagram, but no At Bat app is a major pain point for me with this Lumia.
    I decided going in that I would not let any developer other than Microsoft negatively affect my experience with Windows Phone. If developers aren't interested in the platform, then I'll get along just fine with what I have. Trillian doesn't want to make an app? I'll stick with IM+. MLB doesn't want to? Then I'll keep my $120 for an MLB.TV subscription. They're only hurting themselves when they restrict their potential customer base.
    Ronald Brown likes this.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast