Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

This is insane, just got Nokia 620 and was very happy to find Skype worked immediately, however not so happy that I can't log out.
    I have 2 Skype accounts and need to switch between them.
    What crazy designer gave me an app I can't log out of.
    Back to IOS I guess.
    Windows Phone 8 is already way behind the app curve without releasing stupid programs you can't log out of. What is Microsoft thinking of !!!!

Can anyone confirm whether Skype is a battery hog or not.

I'll agree it does need a log out option when u back out of the app. However i did try it with a friend and she said as soon as i backed out of the skype app i logged out as well. But I would still prefer the log out option.

Apparently the update is coming "real soon" as of today, according to mods on their forum...

I used Skype on my Lumia 920 yesterday for the first time (I also have an iPhone 4S and have used the Skype app for years), and it worked great. Dare I say, sound quality was much better than on the iPhone. But today I received a phone call through Skype that reminded me I haven't logged out (unable to, of course). I only use Skype to call my family, so I don't need to be online all day long..

knowing Skype it probably is
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bashbaliga View Post
    Can anyone confirm whether Skype is a battery hog or not.
    Something as totally non-functional Skype for WP8 can hardly be a battery hog IMO

I had the same issue (not being able to sign out & sign in with a different Skype account) on my brand new shiny red Lumia 920 running WP8. Skype for WP8 simply has no sign out option Not yet anyhow (as of Mar 16, 2013). I did notice that backing out of Skype app takes the user offline - at least it seems so and someone else in this thread reported it as well. It makes sense to do so running on a battery powered device. To cut to the chase, all I needed was to sign in with a different user name (different from my MS account) and remain signed in. So I simply uninstalled Skype app, then re-installed it right back in. It is seamless and only takes a moment. Once re-installed, Skype requested my credentials and happily accepted credentials different from my MS account. Clumsy but functional. Voila... Peter

Peter Veprek

Uninstalled !!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    either MS lost their mind or they have too many skype users and want to get rid of some. I was really happy to switch to windows phone 8 as i am a MS fan and loved to have the "life without walls". But after i see that MS does build walls (like deciding on behalf of users taking their rights away like a very bad ....) i consider moving back to iphone. Because they have much more apps and looked much better and i can still log off from apps. So Microsoft should seriously consider if they have right people deciding on these things ...

last friday , at work i was in a meeting and my skype started ringing even if i had locked the phone grrrrrrrr, such a shame ...
    uninstalling was the only option left. :(
    Last edited by bosh2012; 03-18-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Apparently, it is possible to log out in the last version.

Tap on your profile picture, then bring up the menu by tapping .... and tap "Change account". It seems that signs you out.

Also irregularly using Skype. So don't need it permanently logged in...

Hope this helps.

Olivier
    Thanked by:
    mpt15 
    Ying Onarnin and svenhassel like this.

Don't understand the argument here. You can all ways go offline if you want to. Learn how to use it before complaining.
    nachikethas likes this.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Yep to log out just press switch account

lol

Quote Originally Posted by bosh2012 View Post
    Uninstalled !!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    either MS lost their mind or they have too many skype users and want to get rid of some. I was really happy to switch to windows phone 8 as i am a MS fan and loved to have the "life without walls". But after i see that MS does build walls (like deciding on behalf of users taking their rights away like a very bad ....) i consider moving back to iphone. Because they have much more apps and looked much better and i can still log off from apps. So Microsoft should seriously consider if they have right people deciding on these things ...

last friday , at work i was in a meeting and my skype started ringing even if i had locked the phone grrrrrrrr, such a shame ...
    uninstalling was the only option left. :(
    Can you sign out from your cellular calls?? Can you sign out from Viber? They just want Skype to be integrated into OS just like regular calling.

Some people just can't appreciate from anything.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by pointclouds View Post
    Can you sign out from your cellular calls?? Can you sign out from Viber? They just want Skype to be integrated into OS just like regular calling.

Some people just can't appreciate from anything.
    Quite! Skype's integration is great. If you want your phone to stop ringing, mute it? Sounds easy to me. Just like a phone!

You can go invisible too. And in the latest, as people have said, if you really have to sign out, you can by pressing switch accounts.

You can actually sign out from Skype in the latest update that was pushed 2 days ago.

Guys you can sign out on skype thru switch accounts

.jpg

How to Sign out Skype on Windows Phone (My phone is Nokia Lumia 920)
    1. Click on Status icon right top corner
    2. Click on setting option ( ... ) right bottom corner
    3. Click on Switch Accout bottom

^ ^ enjoy on skype
    Thanked by:

Hey folks, the way I turned around this was removing skype from the start screen on my Lumia 920

I couldn't agree more, this is a major pain in the ****. Only thing I can suggest is uninstall it when you don't want to use it. I use Skype a lot I remember telling a friend when Microsoft purchased it, "well I guess we will have to start looking for another option, it won't be long before they screw it up".

Reasons Microsoft should start letting you logout of Skype, I hope people add to this list;

1. Maybe you want to let someone else use your smart phone. Yesterday my wife wanted to call her Mother on Skype while we where driving, she has international long distance on her Skype I do not. I could not logout to let her login.

2. Most people have 2 maybe even 3 or more devices these days. Me, Apple mini for entertainment server in my living room, All in-one window 8 machine in Kitchen/dining room area for general use, and my Nokia 920 not so smart phone. It wouldn't be so bad it the other Skype logins would hang up when you answer on one device, but no they will ring and ring until you go to each device and click ignore.

3. Maybe you use your smart phone for other reason, "LIKE AN ALARM CLOCK NEXT TO THE BED". I have friends and family around the world and I travel a lot, most of my contacts don't know what time zone I am in so they call at convenient times at their time zone. It would be nice to logout when I go to bed.

And to close I will share my favorite Skype for Windows 8 story. When I purchases the all in one windows 8 machine. I installed Skype and actually bought Skype premium. After completing the purchase of Skype premium I was prompted to upgrade to the latest version of Skype so I could enjoy my new features. Well after a month of not being able to do screen share and multi person video chat. I contacted Skype support ( a challenge all in itself). After 30 minutes of dinking around with the representative on chat. It was finally revealed to me that you cannot use Group Video and screen share in the latest Windows 8 version of Skype. Now remember when I upgraded to the paid Skype premium I was prompted to download and install it. Long story short after scores of hours of frustration and a month loss of usage on my one year subscription, I was advised to download the windows 7 version of Skype classic. And they refused to give me a month of credit to my year subscriptions ( I guess this gesture would have broke the bank at Microsoft ).

Does anyone know if their are any alternatives out their to Skype yet?

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    There is a good log out instruction for Skype, just 3 messages above by Ying Onarnin ... and it works ...

Substitute for Skype could be Viber ...

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Workman View Post
    I couldn't agree more, this is a major pain in the ****. Only thing I can suggest is uninstall it when you don't want to use it. I use Skype a lot I remember telling a friend when Microsoft purchased it, "well I guess we will have to start looking for another option, it won't be long before they screw it up".

Reasons Microsoft should start letting you logout of Skype, I hope people add to this list;

1. Maybe you want to let someone else use your smart phone. Yesterday my wife wanted to call her Mother on Skype while we where driving, she has international long distance on her Skype I do not. I could not logout to let her login.

2. Most people have 2 maybe even 3 or more devices these days. Me, Apple mini for entertainment server in my living room, All in-one window 8 machine in Kitchen/dining room area for general use, and my Nokia 920 not so smart phone. It wouldn't be so bad it the other Skype logins would hang up when you answer on one device, but no they will ring and ring until you go to each device and click ignore.

3. Maybe you use your smart phone for other reason, "LIKE AN ALARM CLOCK NEXT TO THE BED". I have friends and family around the world and I travel a lot, most of my contacts don't know what time zone I am in so they call at convenient times at their time zone. It would be nice to logout when I go to bed.

And to close I will share my favorite Skype for Windows 8 story. When I purchases the all in one windows 8 machine. I installed Skype and actually bought Skype premium. After completing the purchase of Skype premium I was prompted to upgrade to the latest version of Skype so I could enjoy my new features. Well after a month of not being able to do screen share and multi person video chat. I contacted Skype support ( a challenge all in itself). After 30 minutes of dinking around with the representative on chat. It was finally revealed to me that you cannot use Group Video and screen share in the latest Windows 8 version of Skype. Now remember when I upgraded to the paid Skype premium I was prompted to download and install it. Long story short after scores of hours of frustration and a month loss of usage on my one year subscription, I was advised to download the windows 7 version of Skype classic. And they refused to give me a month of credit to my year subscriptions ( I guess this gesture would have broke the bank at Microsoft ).

Does anyone know if their are any alternatives out their to Skype yet?
    I know an alternative way for your problem, and it's just above your post. Read it FGS

Mods should just delete this or close this.
    Jaripi and svenhassel like this.

Maybe if they offered something besides 'Available' and 'Invisible' that might be handy. A person can't be busy or away from their phone?

Being able to switch accounts is a clunky solution to the problem, especially when it doesn't remember your sign-in credentials, not handy for those with long complicated passwords. They're probably getting pressured from above to make sure it's a 24/7 App.
    svenhassel likes this.
    Thread closed per OP request
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12