Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Hello,

I'm looking for a GPS app that will show me where I am in the mountains without using a data connection (as I often lose reception in the mountains). In other words, I'd like to download a map to my phone at home (i.e. google maps), and then have my GPS show me where I am on that map.

Anyone know of an app for me?

Thanks.
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Navigon has down loadable maps. It depends on your hardware weather you need a data connection through AGPS to get a location lock.

If you don't need 3D maps you can use Turn by Turn its cheaper but has less features.

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts
    What devices don't require a data connection for the GPS to work correctly? My Titan's GPS is wrong more often than not. It sucks for checking in.

Nokia Drive doesn't require a data connection if you have downloaded the map for where you are traveling. However I want an app that will do this in the backcountry with maps from google earth, not road maps.

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts
    So is it a software issue, a hardware issue, or both? I understand that you would need to have the map downloaded in order to use it without a data connection, but Dave Blake stated in his post that this is hardware-dependent. Is that true?