Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting after lurking the forums for a while and finding lots of great information about WP7. I just got my first WP7 phone last week and I am really starting to enjoy it! Now to the real purpose of the post:

I work in the wireless industry and my boss has asked me to compile a list of apps that are missing from WP7 that are present on other platforms. Since I have only begun to scratch the surface of WP7 I thought who better to ask than people who have been using it longer and obviously care about improving the platform.

Also any really stand out apps that are in the Marketplace would be appreciated, preferably ones that are either unique to WP7 or are just better on WP7 than on others (especially iOS and Android).

TL;DR: Give me a list of apps that are missing on WP7.

Thanks!
    I would like to see Urban Spoon ported for WP7.
    <Insert witty comment here.>
    Thanked by:

I'll go ahead and give you one of the biggys... Whatsapp.

Welcome, BTW. :)
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
    Thanked by:

A SSH terminal App.
    HBO Go.
    Words with Friends.

Those are the three i really miss coming from iOS.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    Scrabble clone 'Words By Post' on WP7 is cross platform with Android & iOS ajmstilt (Washing mouth out with bleach now) ;)

.........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
    Thanked by:
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,151 Global Posts
    A better question would be, what type of apps is your boss looking for? Then you could see if there's a WP7 app to fill that need.
    Just Visiting likes this.

Thanks everyone for the answers so far! Keep them coming!

Figure 8: It sounds like I may not have explained it clearly... He is not looking for a specific app. I am putting together basically a list of apps WP7 is missing that it needs to be competitive with iOS and Android.

Quote Originally Posted by heyitwrx View Post
    Thanks everyone for the answers so far! Keep them coming!

Figure 8: It sounds like I may not have explained it clearly... He is not looking for a specific app. I am putting together basically a list of apps WP7 is missing that it needs to be competitive with iOS and Android.
    Does he not also want to know what apps are exclusive to the WP? ;)

Global Posts
    542 Global Posts
    Mint.com
    Thanked by:
    FriendOrDafoe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Supes View Post
    Does he not also want to know what apps are exclusive to the WP? ;)
    Any stand out apps for WP7 would be appreciated as well. Preferably exclusive ones, but since I just got my WP7 phone this weekend I wouldn't mind hearing about any amazing apps even if they are not exclusive.

Any stand out apps for WP7 would be appreciated as well. Preferably exclusive ones, but since I just got my WP7 phone this weekend I wouldn't mind hearing about any amazing apps even if they are not exclusive.
    The apps I use the most are:

SuperTube (allowing you to download videos straight to your phone).
    I'm a wp7 (community with latest news regarding WP).
    Weave - news app customisable to your interests.
    FitLife620 - Awesome app for all things gym related.
    DC Comics
    Xbox Live
    F1 World Pro - Very good for following F1 and sourcing info on teams, drivers, with live tile for headline updates.
    Musix Match - Will play any song from your playlist and display the lyrics and bio.
    Kik Messenger
    VLC Play
    ... and of course... WPCentral. ;)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,453 Global Posts
    SuperTube - Nice Youtube app
    WPCentral - Nice Apple site app :)
    Board Express - Can post on web forums
    100 pushups - app that trains you to do 100 push up without stopping
    Cocktail - Alcohol app
    kik - BBM like messaging app
    Song Twitter - tweet what's playing in zune
    BBC News - nice looking news app
    Engadget - tech blog app
    IM+ - IM app
    Miso - Tweets/Facebook post what movie/tv show you are watching
    ESPN - Follow your favorite sports teams
    Vevo - Music video app
    Ebay - ebay app
    We're IN - Very nice location/meeting app
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
    Thanked by:

Thanks for the responses guys! I am definitely going to have to check some of those apps out!

Anyone else have any other apps WP7 is missing? Or any stand out apps? If your buddy is talking up his iPhone or Android device and all his apps what one app will you pull up to really show him what WP7 can do?

Thanks for the responses guys! I am definitely going to have to check some of those apps out!

Anyone else have any other apps WP7 is missing? Or any stand out apps? If your buddy is talking up his iPhone or Android device and all his apps what one app will you pull up to really show him what WP7 can do?
    A few missing that I would use:
    - Dragon Dictation
    - Photosynth (!) - coming with Mango
    - Google Latitude
    - Google Earth

Windows Phone doesn't have many standout apps, but its main strength are built-in apps and crossplatform apps that are much better than their iPhone/Android counterparts thanks to the Metro interface. A few examples that I use:
    - Wikipedia Reader (that is the name of the app)
    - IMdb
    - AU Weather Pro
    - LazyTube
    - Tripview Sydney
    - Music+videos hub (internal)
    - Marketplace app (internal) is also one of the best out there, it's even faster than the Android Market on a dual-core Android device:
    Last edited by NotTarts; 09-09-2011 at 06:36 AM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    Don't forget Cocktail Flow, there's a trial now. (Gorgeous Eye Candy App) :)

.........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK

i would like to see

mint
    wwf
    waze
    goog voice
    pandora

I understand that specific apps rule the various marketplaces, but people need to think about what they need to accomplish, not what apps they want that exist in other marketplaces.

Here's a few questions I would ask your boss:

Do you really want Word with Friends (or any other singular app) to determine your platform choice?
    Is your phone mainly for business or personal use?
    Do you care more about games or productivity apps?

Really, our list of 'great' apps is cool, but meaningless other than a show. All that matters is what an individual would use.

I was on Android early and I loved hacking it up and doing anything I want, but I had no problem moving to Windows Phone, because I didn't use my phone to run certain apps, I used my phone to accomplish tasks - and there are apps for any task in the Marketplace.

now that I've said all that, have him check out Fuse, Samsung photo studio, Birdsong, comica, Directv, epicurious, espn scorecenter, evernote, flixster, graphic.ly, handyscan, iheartradio, Kik, lunchbox, mosaic, msn movies, network dashboard, newslab, radio hub, remote desktop, scoremobile, slacker, surfcube, TED, timedancer, tonido, vevo, wordpress, and Weave. :D
    Thanked by:
    Just Visiting and HeyCori like this.

Global Posts
    811 Global Posts
    Missing:
    Pandora.
    Oh, and Pandora.
    Did I mention Pandora?

Ampache client...as a work around to no Pandora

box.net
    snapfish
    dropbox

PS
    Pandora
    Last edited by nyquistjack; 09-09-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Needed to add one more Pandora
    webOS Refugee. Now a Windows Phone 7 (HTC Arrive) refugee and an Android escapee (evo 3d) back on my original Pre for now. Looking forward to a killer device on ATT so I can dump Sprint and get back into the WP7.5 world.

If you are a fellow webOS refugee, visit this thread for some getting started tips.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...ion/180046.htm
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I understand that specific apps rule the various marketplaces, but people need to think about what they need to accomplish, not what apps they want that exist in other marketplaces.

Here's a few questions I would ask your boss:

Do you really want Word with Friends (or any other singular app) to determine your platform choice?
    Is your phone mainly for business or personal use?
    Do you care more about games or productivity apps?

Really, our list of 'great' apps is cool, but meaningless other than a show. All that matters is what an individual would use.

I was on Android early and I loved hacking it up and doing anything I want, but I had no problem moving to Windows Phone, because I didn't use my phone to run certain apps, I used my phone to accomplish tasks - and there are apps for any task in the Marketplace
    I completely agree with what you are saying but we were looking for this as more of a recommendation for MS than a buying decision for him (he already has a WP7 phone).

And as unfortunate as it is consumers really do make a lot of their purchasing decisions based on the stupidest things, such as does the platform have angry birds. You have no idea how many times I have been asked if a phone has Angry Birds or not! I have seen people refuse to buy phones because it is missing a single, seemingly not important app (like Words with Friends). So we are trying to help eliminate those reasons for people to not buy WP7.

PS. No, I don't work for MS or any manufacturer, its a third party company.

Quote Originally Posted by nyquistjack View Post
    Missing:
    Pandora.
    Oh, and Pandora.
    Did I mention Pandora?

Ampache client...as a work around to no Pandora

box.net
    snapfish
    dropbox

PS
    Pandora
    So just to be clear... you really want a Spotify app?

And i know the box.net and dropbox is killing me. I have always used dropbox for moving files and then when I picked up a Touchpad during the fire sale the box.net 50GB was awesome. But neither has a native client on WP7 :(

Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Plaxo
    Square
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Is this for a "see, WP7 users feel they are using an OS that lacking what iOS and Android have," or is it for "WP7 users really like their phones, and here are some apps they'd like to see added in the future" kind of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by baseballbert View Post
    Is this for a "see, WP7 users feel they are using an OS that lacking what iOS and Android have," or is it for "WP7 users really like their phones, and here are some apps they'd like to see added in the future" kind of thing?
    It is definitely not the first. It is more the second mixed with eliminating any reason why someone would pass on a wp7 for iOS or android. It will be an uphill battle no matter what, but if MS can remove some roadblocks such as not having Pandora it will make it easier on them.

Dropbox
    Whatsapp
    Google apps (Earth, Docs, etc)
    more messaging apps (other than IM+)
    somekind of bandwith report and controller app.

^^There IS a Dropbox app...

Also, you might want to check out Kik Messenger. :)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast