Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1.    #1  
    I read all the time that so many people are so enthusiastic about the wireless charging capabilities of some new WP8 devices.
    So I am just curious, what is the difference? So instead of having to plug in my phone, I plug in a pad and keep my phone on the plugged in pad? Don't really see what's so awesome about it. Only thing usefull I saw in a comercial, is that you can place your phone on a JBL speaker and play music while it charges your phone...that's pretty rad. But other than that, don't really see any advantage of it.

Just to be clear, don't mean to be a troll, just curious

Thanks

Yes, it really is that awesome! Its one of those things that you don't appreciate until you have it.
    Thanked by:
    Mocah 
    Jazmac likes this.

Yes. I love it. Think of the simplest thing you can do with a device...setting it down. Now imagine that setting it down has a productive purpose. I just set the thing down when working at my computer. I always leave with a full charge. I want another one for my night stand.
    Courtney S likes this.

I like the charging stand. I have it next to my monitor at work. No cords laying around, I just set my phone on that doc when I sit at my desk, it keeps it charged and it can display my calendar so I can see my next appointment at a glance. I rarely ever plugged my phone in when that was my method or charging, but I always set my phone down, so now I just set it on something that charges it too.

I have the plate next to my bed. Nice to not worry about the cord not being long enough or snagging on anything. If I need to check something I can grab the phone, look, then set it back down. No fishing for the cable, etc. It's more convenience than anything. Not ground-breaking, but helpful.

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Yeah, its really handy. I use mine at the office. It is clean and easy to grab and go or set to charge. I want wireless chargers every where, lol. I just got another 900 to use on my bike, GPS, and pmp use. I already miss not having that feature.

My mother and brother also enjoy using the wireless charger with their 920.

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    It isn't really that awesome for me. However, if I couldn't wirelessly charge my phone anymore I would be really bummed. It's something that is really useful over plugging it in to a wall. I come home and just lay it on the charger...and then done.

I purchased the charger from the store here. It seems to charge my phone as quickly as the Nokia wall charger.

How about this ?

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    I have a charging pad installed in the center console of my GMC (More on that here) so every time I get in my truck I just set my phone down and its charging. Very convenient not having to plug in every time I get in my truck. I also have a charging stand on my nightstand its great to just set it down on the stand when I go to bed. I also use a night clock so my phone sits on the stand and works as my bedside clock.
    Thanked by:
    paulxxwall likes this.

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    I thought the same thing until using the wireless charger. Its just a step up. Rolling your window down or power windows. Its a step up.
    tgp likes this.
    Yeh I have the same feeling as everybody else here. It doesn't seem all that special, but once you start using it, you just don't want to go back!
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
    Bartdog likes this.

It's not a wow feature that will win you friends or influence others, it just contributes to the high quality experience of the device. It's pretty slick, but I would trade it for more tier-1 apps in a heartbeat :)

It's alot better the plugging it in all the time. I sure hope they keep putting it in all new phones thought is was a gimmick before I got my 8x now im sold

Any other questions? ��

Global Posts
    1,420 Global Posts
    Gimmicky. If there were chargers at restaurants or public places. Would be awesome

Global Posts
    581 Global Posts
    Doesn't sound all that awesome when you don't have it. But after using it for a few days, I can guarantee you will not want to go back to plugging a cable every time. There is no way I'm buying another phone without wireless charging.
    Bartdog likes this.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Love the video..me and my wife lol'd at every comment. Great idea, I will be doing something like that whenever I get a side table.
    HTC Surround / HTC Titan / Lumia 900 / Lumia 920 / Lumia 1020 / Lumia 1520 / Lumia 521 / Samsung ATIV Odyssey / Lumia 810
    Thanked by:

Yes, it really is that awesome.

Lets also not forget, it dramatically reduces the wear and tear on your USB port.

My HTC HD7 was ~2 years old when i moved to WP8, and the USB port was knackered, the cable fell out easily, and didn't always charge. Majorly annoying, especailly as it had been like that for months.

wireless charging is the future, every big new phone will feature this. Lets just hope QI is the main standard, then docks will be everywhere.
    Thanked by:
    Developer

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    Yes it is :D
  20. tgp

Global Posts
    2,268 Global Posts
    Yes, wireless charging really is that awesome! (just in case you haven't heard that yet!) I haven't plugged in my Nexus 4 for probably a couple months now.

I hope Apple soon releases an iPhone with wireless charging. I would expect when that happens that we'll quickly see charging pads all over in public.

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    One word: YES.

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BENNIEV View Post
    Yes, it really is that awesome! Its one of those things that you don't appreciate until you have it.
    Its one of those things you don't appreciate until you don't have it!
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
    tgp likes this.

I have broken a few devices by falling/stumbling over their charging cables, my last phone, a blackberry survived, but with some bad scratches from catapulting it across the room. (no joke! )

Not a single time has this happened to my Lumia thanks to wireless charging! For me it is one of the best practical innovations in years. I cannot see myself go back to a non wireless charging phone!

Global Posts
    494 Global Posts
    How about cars, can you plug charger there? Also will phone fall all the time the car breaks? Anyone with real experience of using wireless charger in the car? Thanks

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    It does cut down on the wear.. This is the same reason I am waiting for the double touch wake up.. it will cut down on the power key wear. And it is very comfortable to use. Lay it down and it charges. instead of finding the charger and have to plug it in.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast