Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I have a dashboard mount for my iPhone 4s now which I occasionally need to plug in. My car is equipped with a Bluetooth compatible stereo, so I can stream my audiobooks, podcasts and music wirelessly.

A quick search on the net doesn't seem to result any Qi Compatible Wireless charging dashboard mounts for any phones. Does anyone know if these already exist, or are anticipating one?

Qi recently released a spec sheet for wireless car chargers and how they should work. I think manufacturers maybe/hopefully nokia will release some in the coming months. I think this is a product category, wireless car chargers, has never been targeted before to be honest. That may be why there are non in the market

Global Posts
    3,192 Global Posts
    Real question is, if we start seeing more and more phones with wireless charging, will cars start having built in charging pads?

That said, seems like someone would come out with a mount that has wireless charging...

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    Real question is, if we start seeing more and more phones with wireless charging, will cars start having built in charging pads?

That said, seems like someone would come out with a mount that has wireless charging...
    If NFC becomes popular, and I believe it will considering the mind blowing possibilities of the technology, the market will get flooded with wireless charging docks. In the meantime it shouldn't be too hard to hack a charging pad.

Finally, by the time wireless charging becomes standard in cars, we'll probably be using WP10 Surface phones.

Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    If NFC becomes popular, and I believe it will considering the mind blowing possibilities of the technology, the market will get flooded with wireless charging docks. In the meantime it shouldn't be too hard to hack a charging pad.

Finally, by the time wireless charging becomes standard in cars, we'll probably be using WP10 Surface phones.
    NFC is just a form of Bluetooth, it isn't wireless charging.

I've started to look around for one of these too. With the Lumia 900 it wasn't a big deal to put in on the dash since the audio and charger were on the same side. With the Lumia 920, it looks too damn awkward to have audio plugged in and charge.

Anyone just know of a mount that works with the 920? Its annoying that I have to put my phone upside down to charge it.

I need this
    Last edited by hwalker84; 11-11-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hwalker84 View Post
    Anyone just know of a mount that works with the 920? Its annoying that I have to put my phone upside down to charge it.
    I'm thinking about getting this mount from Nokia: Nokia Universal Holder CR-123 #CR-123 - Expansys USA. Its the one you see in official Nokia photos, but of course Nokia has no easy way to buy their accessories so got to go through some third party and I haven't seen it here on the WPCentral Store. You can take the bottom holder completely out. In order to have access to both the audio and charge, I figure you can drop the bottom leg down and have the two side holders latch on to the top of each end of the phone. So the buttons are facing up an unobstructed. What I cant find is a rear view of it to see if I can just attach the front portion to the Garmin dash mount I have. It uses a weighted jell bottom and has never moved on me in high speed turns, plus its smaller than the bean bag mounts and can fold flat.

I was just thinking about how awesome it would be to have a cradle of some sort with NFC and Qi wireless charging for my car. Wireless tunes and charging just like the JBL speaker but in my car (and hopefully cheaper)? They need to make this.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cddigi View Post
    I'm thinking about getting this mount from Nokia: Nokia Universal Holder CR-123 #CR-123 - Expansys USA. Its the one you see in official Nokia photos, but of course Nokia has no easy way to buy their accessories so got to go through some third party and I haven't seen it here on the WPCentral Store. You can take the bottom holder completely out. In order to have access to both the audio and charge, I figure you can drop the bottom leg down and have the two side holders latch on to the top of each end of the phone. So the buttons are facing up an unobstructed. What I cant find is a rear view of it to see if I can just attach the front portion to the Garmin dash mount I have. It uses a weighted jell bottom and has never moved on me in high speed turns, plus its smaller than the bean bag mounts and can fold flat.
    i bought the holder your looking for , its on amazon.co.uk little expensive with the conversion but they did two day shipping from england, got it and it works great on the 900 havnt gotten the 920 yet

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Oooh,... This would be perfect. Will this work with the 920?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybotics View Post
    Oooh,... This would be perfect. Will this work with the 920?
    It looks like it will be a tight fit.

"The universal design of the car holder can fits smartphone models with the following dimension ranges and weight limit: length 90-130 mm; width 50-70 mm; thickness 8-16 mm; weight max. 200 g"

Lumia 920
    Height 130.3 mm
    Width 70.8 mm
    Thickness 10.7 mm

It looks like it will be a tight fit.

"The universal design of the car holder can fits smartphone models with the following dimension ranges and weight limit: length 90-130 mm; width 50-70 mm; thickness 8-16 mm; weight max. 200 g"

Lumia 920
    Height 130.3 mm
    Width 70.8 mm
    Thickness 10.7 mm
    Seems even the universal holders are barely brawny enough to contain the L920, the only spec that fits cleanly is the weight - barely

Global Posts
    2,656 Global Posts
    I'm using this Kensington mount made for the iPhone and the 920 fits it perfectly.

No wireless charging, but it will do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kacey Green View Post
    Seems even the universal holders are barely brawny enough to contain the L920, the only spec that fits cleanly is the weight - barely
    It was put out years ago and in images is shown with the Lumina 800. I'll send them an email about it.

Well I spoke with a Nokia CSR over chat. Their response was that the CR-123 wasn't tested with the 920, so they couldn't tell me if it would fit.

Couldn't Nokia's wireless charging pads and stands be adapted for use in a car? I think with a properly-sized DC/AC inverter buried under the dash, and some rails mounted to them, they could work ok...

inverter DC 12V car | eBay

That's what I'm hoping I can hack together, but my wireless charger is still waiting to be shipped to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    I'm using this Kensington mount made for the iPhone and the 920 fits it perfectly.

http://i.imgur.com/Cdbjc.jpg

No wireless charging, but it will do for now.
    I have the bigger version than this with base support. If it fits, I will have saved some money!

Hi, this i can recommend Clingo - Universal Mobile Device Accessories, works with all my phones....and they stay in place, and it can "swirl"

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I was thinking of trying that but was concerned about the curved back of the 920 and combined weight being an issue....do you have any pics of your 920 and that mount specifically the back and how it connects to the 920....I know its just a sticky mat but I'm curious

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    I have my Nokia wireless plate mounted in my car. The brick turns it to 12V input, so I used a cigarette lighter adapter to go to a +/- in 12V. Then I cut the cable that goes from the brick to the wireless charger plate. I connected the middle of the wire to the + and the outside wires to the - and then wrapped it really well with electrical tape. It is working very well so far.

As for holding my phone, I am currently using 4 small pieces of velcro attached to the phone and a sheet of velcro on the charger plate. The charger plate is also connected to my car with velcro. I have a car phone mount coming tomorrow. I will take some pictures when it is all done. For now though, the solution is working great. I drove for 20 minutes today with Nokia Drive open and arrived with full battery.
    Current Phone: Nokia Lumia 920
    Past Phones: iPhone 4, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus, Samsung Focus Flash, Nokia Lumia 900, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4

Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro, Nexus 7
    Laura Knotek likes this.

we are developing different kinds of wireless charger for mobile phones and tablets ,but we have not tried to do wireless car charger , many customers asked about that , i think it's the trend in the future , we will make it sooner or later

Quote Originally Posted by txaggies07 View Post
    I have my Nokia wireless plate mounted in my car. The brick turns it to 12V input, so I used a cigarette lighter adapter to go to a +/- in 12V. Then I cut the cable that goes from the brick to the wireless charger plate. I connected the middle of the wire to the + and the outside wires to the - and then wrapped it really well with electrical tape. It is working very well so far.

As for holding my phone, I am currently using 4 small pieces of velcro attached to the phone and a sheet of velcro on the charger plate. The charger plate is also connected to my car with velcro. I have a car phone mount coming tomorrow. I will take some pictures when it is all done. For now though, the solution is working great. I drove for 20 minutes today with Nokia Drive open and arrived with full battery.
    Do you have TPMS in your car? If so, are you seeing any issues with it?

Thanks.
    Nokia Lumia 1020 on T-Mobile

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Yes on TPMS. No on problems. I have finished my little project and should have pictures in a few days. I ended up removing the back of the wireless plate. Then attached it to my new phone holder. I am using the Akron 18" floor mount phone holder from Amazon.
    Current Phone: Nokia Lumia 920
    Past Phones: iPhone 4, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus, Samsung Focus Flash, Nokia Lumia 900, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4

Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro, Nexus 7

Looking forward to the pictures. I have an Arkon mount as well, but it is a suction cup one. I attach it to my center console of my car.
    Nokia Lumia 1020 on T-Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast