Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    My wife's BB curve is acting up and I was thinking of replacing it. Could get a Z10 of course but with all the latest development with BB not sure we want to go down that road. I was pricing a used Iphone 4S $400 Yikes!

My son has an HTC One. Nice phone but I have a feeling my better half might find it too much.

Recently bought her a new laptop with Windows 8 and she really likes it. So I thought this could be a good solution.

She is not a heavy user. Mainly texting, email, browsing, some video, netflix, instagram etc... no games.

Since I know next to nothing with WP could you recommend a reasonably priced decent unit. Doesnt have to have the latest bells and whistle. Or where would you recommend to buy a refurbished unit? Our carrier is Rogers.

So any helpful advice is appreciated.

Lumia 620 and 520 are fantastic entrie models.. 620 is maybe more for female audience. Has a nice range of colors too. And they both perform almost the same as top end models..

Yeah, you can get a Nokia 520/521 for around $100, off contract and brand new!! A little on the lower end of the scale, but I know people with them and love them. But the 6xx more girlie, although tons of covers and cases on Amazon.
    From the CO and my 8X
    Quote Originally Posted by juanitoriv View Post
    Yeah, you can get a Nokia 520/521 for around $100, off contract and brand new!! A little on the lower end of the scale, but I know people with them and love them. But the 6xx more girlie, although tons of covers and cases on Amazon.
    I wouldn't say a 6xx is anymore girlie than any of the other Lumias.

But if your wife doesn't care about a Front Facing camera, then get the Lumia 520 or 521(the T-Mobile version).
    IF she likes to use video chat or is like me and takes tons of selfies get the 620 :D

I like the 620 because it has so many different colors :P

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I have had a crapload of android devices and recently switched to windows phone. I started with a 521\520 and moved up to a 920 and have been very happy with both. Great phones.

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    If you are in the US and due for an upgrade get her the 1020.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

I have the HTC 8X, and I wouldn't switch.. Just sayin..
    From the CO and my 8X
  8. tgp

Global Posts
    2,361 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webosdropout View Post
    some video, netflix, instagram etc...
    She might run into some issues here. Do you know anyone with a WP that you can test these things on?

Otherwise it should work great for her. It's simple and smooth, and works great for texting, browsing, and email.
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!

OP don't forget there's a new Z30 coming out with a 5" screen, more updated device than the Z10. Just to let you know.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoOne30 View Post
    OP don't forget there's a new Z30 coming out with a 5" screen, more updated device than the Z10. Just to let you know.
    Thanks but its not the devices i'm worried about but the company and its future. and support from devs.

Global Posts
    3,969 Global Posts
    Hard to recommend Blackberry, if you want Netflix and Instagram. I really like both platforms, but I'd lean towards Windows Phone this time.

Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    She might run into some issues here. Do you know anyone with a WP that you can test these things on?

Otherwise it should work great for her. It's simple and smooth, and works great for texting, browsing, and email.
    Netflix works great for me, video (youtube is basically the website as Google is being a pain and blocking Microsofts app) Instagram, no first party apps out there, but there are a whole slew of third party apps that work great.

For youtube you can try YouTube HD and 6Tag is without doubt the best Instagram client WP has.

I believe the 625 is interesting, but it may not be on the shelves yet. The 620 has no FM radio and the 520 has. If the price difference is slim though and you don't want to wait for the 625, I'd go for the 620. Especially if Skype is interesting.

Oh, and myTube all the way folks. The best Youtube app on any platform.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    If you can find a 820 (810,822) I highly recommend it.. It has the same inside as the 920 and costs a great deal less. If you really want to get the WP8 experience without spending much cash then the 520, 521 is hard to beat. I even bought one as a backup phone in case I ever lost or broke my 820.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Screen on 520 is not as bright as 620 but 520 is bigger screen, I got 520 as spare and now my wife uses it, I have a 820, the screen on that is bigger than 520 and brighter colors but good bit dearer, I'd go with 520 or 620. Jim