- 09-08-2013, 06:12 PM #1
I've been a long time Zune subscriber/user and heavy promoter of Windows Phone having used an HTC Titan II (WP 7.5) for the past year and a half. Unfortunately my Titan II is on dying a quick death. Long story but hardware seems to be failing, no luck with factory resets - so I may be forced to upgrade to WP8. I say forced because the WP 7.5 and zune user experience for music lovers is the absolute best in the industry and I'm aware of all the changes with windows phone 8. My wife even has a WP8 nokia but because my device allotment for my zune pass is full I've never bothered figuring it all out.
So I'm looking for advice from someone who has managed to get their old zune subscription and purchased music to work in any reasonable fashion with Windows 7 and a WP8 device.
Here's what I've gathered. Am I on the right track?
- I will have to manage my music using windows media player - meaning, create and manage playlists and syncing content to the phone
- I will still need to use Zune software to download subscription music or to buy music through the marketplace on my Windows 7 PC
- Once downloaded I then manage/sync in windows media player
- I can still browse the marketplace on my phone and download using my subscription (technically xbox music now)
is that all I need to know? What about all the issues with cloud vs. downloaded music? What about xbox DRM vs. zune DRM?
Any help will be appreciated.
- 09-08-2013, 10:05 PM #3
yes - I'm aware zune software will not work for WP8 devices. As I noted above - I would need to use windows media player to sync. According to this FAQ the zune subscription files should play on the phone: Syncing music FAQ | Windows Phone How-to (United States).
- 09-12-2013, 08:28 PM #4
OK --- maybe not as straight forward as I thought. Windows Media Player is highlighting zune subscription files as "not compatible" with my device and they won't even sync. So is the FAQ wrong? What am I missing - how do I get my subscription files on the phone?
- By Wendy Bautista in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 13Last Post: 09-18-2013, 05:19 PM
- By Andrew del Valle in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 3Last Post: 09-08-2013, 07:19 PM
- By edh1977 in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 2Last Post: 09-08-2013, 07:18 PM
- By z33dev33l in forum The "Off Topic" LoungeReplies: 5Last Post: 09-08-2013, 07:01 PM
- By pouria_wpcir in forum The "Off Topic" LoungeReplies: 1Last Post: 09-08-2013, 03:47 PM