Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Hello everyone, as you all know today Microsoft make public Steve's retirement. He made a couple of changes to Microsoft which were good and others not so good. My personal disappointment has to be the end to Microsoft's 25yr flight simulator franchise. My second disappointment and the reason for this post is.... ZUNE!!! I have to be in the top 100 people that first owned a Zune player. I owned my player since day 1. First bought a 32gb one and later bought a 128gb, and later the Zune HD. The Zune HD I thought was sure to be a iPod killer. I loved almost everything of the device. There were only two things I couldn't stand about it. 1. The app store was very.... Um.... Primitive I guess.... And 2. I hated that I couldn't just plug the device to my cars stereo like I could an iPod. But 12yrs later I think Microsoft is ready for a real battle with the iPod. I believe that a device like the Lumia 925 would be a great "Xbox music player". Make a device similar to that and sell it without radio antenas, just WiFi and Bluetooth. Have it run WP8 software and have access to WP8 store. And now with GDR3 make some devices 7" or grater running WP8 and not windows 8 RT... In the end, there is so much that is like to see happen, but this post is in regards to the iPod and like I stated before, I really believe that I'm not the only one here wanting a portable device like the iPod running a version of WP8!!! What you guys think about this?

Sent from my RM-877 Tapatalk
    Lerimer F. Santana
    Smartphones in general are killing mp3 players of all kinds, have been for years now. It just doesn't make much sense anymore, ESP. will phones like 520 being so cheap.

i dont personally know anyone at this time that actually still uses a "designated MP3 player". Everyone just uses their phones.

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    True, but I wouldn't buy a phone for my 7yr old. I'd buy him an iPod.
    Lerimer F. Santana
    Quote Originally Posted by lerimer View Post
    True, but I wouldn't buy a phone for my 7yr old. I'd buy him an iPod.
    Just curious...What is the difference if there is no SIM card? It would be acting the same and is a good price.

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    Just curious...What is the difference if there is no SIM card? It would be acting the same and is a good price.
    Some markets don't have the privilege of buying a cheap phone out of contract. But still a good choice to buy a phone and remove the sim.
    Lerimer F. Santana
    Quote Originally Posted by lerimer View Post
    Some markets don't have the privilege of buying a cheap phone out of contract. But still a good choice to buy a phone and remove the sim.
    I guess but there usually are ways.

btw, the only reason the ipod touch is still around is that there aren't cheap, off contract iphones (latest model or two). If the new, cheaper iphone is priced low enough off contract, ipod touch's days may be over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    i dont personally know anyone at this time that actually still uses a "designated MP3 player". Everyone just uses their phones.
    Audiophiles.
    Lumia 820 (white & red shells) + White Purity In-ear + 32GB Samsung Class 10 Micro SD HC

Quote Originally Posted by brunoadduarte View Post
    Audiophiles.
    Surely you meant Audiophobics. What's the iPod's SNR? Has Apple ever come out clean on that?

Loved my Zune. It was a great product. But it came out too late when the world was already awash in iPod products. It was never going to be "successful" because of iPod saturation. I lost my Zune a few years back, tried to buy a new one with no luck. Had to buy a Sony mp3 player.
    jmshub likes this.
    I get if people want a dedicated mp3 player, but there so many cheap phones that do the job of an ipod touch-like device would do. They just don't make sense anymore.

I still have a couple of ipods but they stay at home plugged into a radio. With some many music streaming services and phones with built in music players, having an iPod or other music only device doesn't seem useful anymore.

When I go to the gym or run on the trails, I don't want sweat mucking up my smartphone/1020. I buy a quality mp3 player for that purpose. And if I lose it, ding it up from active use, or get it stolen, it's much more easily replaceable than having to buy a new smartphone while still under contract.

Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    I get if people want a dedicated mp3 player, but there so many cheap phones that do the job of an ipod touch-like device would do. They just don't make sense anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by replay0 View Post
    When I go to the gym or run on the trails, I don't want sweat mucking up my smartphone/1020. I buy a quality mp3 player for that purpose. And if I lose it, ding it up from active use, or get it stolen, it's much more easily replaceable than having to buy a new smartphone while still under contract.
    Which is why I said what I did. Also, a dedicated MP3 player is often smaller and lighter than a phone. iPod touch is a whole different category.

The problems is that there is no phone out there which I can put all my music on since I have about 100GB of music on my hard drive.That being said, apart from the iPod classic, there is no designated MP3 player which can take that amount of data either unfortunately :( I don't realy care about an iPod touch competitor (i.e. basically just a phone without the phone capabilities) but if Microsoft were to launch an iPod classic competitor, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    p.nonnekens likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamuz View Post
    The problems is that there is no phone out there which I can put all my music on since I have about 100GB of music on my hard drive.That being said, apart from the iPod classic, there is no designated MP3 player which can take that amount of data either unfortunately :( I don't realy care about an iPod touch competitor (i.e. basically just a phone without the phone capabilities) but if Microsoft were to launch an iPod classic competitor, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    I think you are a dying breed. I certainly understand your needs though. I just can't imagine that creating a new product line would be profitable, esp. a shrinking area of electronics.

Zune was dead from day1 when they made the decision to limit it to N.America only.
    neo158 and marcomura like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thamuz View Post
    The problems is that there is no phone out there which I can put all my music on since I have about 100GB of music on my hard drive.
    I have an old Archos 5 with 120Gb of internal storage. Plays any audio or video format under the sun -- without any conversions. However, it's neither thin nor light....I don't mind that, though.

I like the concept, I just think they'd struggle to hit the price point if releasing a new product, especially when they've got the price of the 520/521 so low due to what has to be millions being made given the global push.

Let's face it, Apple are seeing the iPod numbers tumble as people move to phones, so I can't see Nokia doing it.

Buy a 520 off contract for under around $80 if you wait for a deal and simply don't put a SIM in it.

Global Posts
    1,170 Global Posts
    I still use a Zune HD for my media so please don't generalise!!!
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by neo158 View Post
    I still use a Zune HD for my media so please don't generalise!!!

THIS!! I still have my 80gb iPod Video full of flac albums ala rockbox. Also, that saying that there aren't any portable HD radios, beyond the insignia units (I have both the button and touch units) there isn't a killer portable device that has HD radio beyond the Zune HD which I had wished I could own years ago.

Sent from my RM-860 (Lumia 928) using the OFFICIAL Tapatalk app.
    My Phones & PDAs:

My Apps:
    Lumia Apps
    FinancialP and Dazzi like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Halsey View Post
    THIS!! I still have my 80gb iPod Video full of flac albums ala rockbox. Also, that saying that there aren't any portable HD radios, beyond the insignia units (I have both the button and touch units) there isn't a killer portable device that has HD radio beyond the Zune HD which I had wished I could own years ago.

Sent from my RM-860 (Lumia 928) using the OFFICIAL Tapatalk app.
    I think the lack of HD radio support anywhere is that it never caught on

Global Posts
    735 Global Posts
    I have had several Zune devices over the years. I think I count 8 or 9 Zune devices during their product cycle (including gifts). I really did like them. But I know even when I carry my Zune, it sits relatively unused compared to my phone. My phone has bluetooth to sync to my car's stereo or a bluetooth speaker I have at work. I really with my phone could hold more songs, but the Zune Pass allows me download almost anything to hear the song I wanted to hear.

As far as someone building a PMP on WP8 platform, I'd say that ship has sailed. Even Apple seems ambivalent about ipod at this point in time.

the one that is dying are those toy like mp3 like ipod. True dedicated mp3s has always been a niche and will probably stay alive with some inde brand.

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    the one that is dying are those toy like mp3 like ipod. True dedicated mp3s has always been a niche and will probably stay alive with some inde brand.
    You've still got two major mainstream players here. Sansa and Sony. One of the major reasons of them being around is the fact that they support more than just mp3s. An audiophile, real or fake, will want loseless files on his player. Apparently the Fuze and Walkman provide support for FLAC. Something which our phones do not. Of course you could go for a less mainstream option, but that tends to be pricey to a ridiculous extreme. Some people are willing to go quite far for their portable setup. I'll stick to my Sennheiser Amperior x L810. If Nokia ever releases a phone with more respectable audio specs aimed at the audiophiles... I'll look into it.
    Cindy_H likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast