Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    I hope we all remember a Nokia flagship from the past: the N97.
    If you don't, go check it out here: Nokia N97 - Full phone specifications

When I first saw that phone, I was really amazed by the grandeur it displayed. A magnificent front, and a back with a kickstand. But of course, the main point of attraction was the slide out QWERTY keyboard. I have really been a big fan of this design (and the slightly revised version: the n97 mini) ever since it came out. I really have been having cravings for a windows phone like this.

Maybe Nokia could reuse a little of its past. Take that magnificent Symbian phone and reskin it with Windows phone :)
    And the heavenly slide out Qwerty!
    Too bad no one save for blackberry (which I would never, NEVER buy) now makes phones with real keyboards.

What are your thoughts about the N97 WP version? Would you like a hardware qwerty windows phone? Would you like a Lumia like the N97?
    I sure would :)
    I've never been a fan a sliders. I had an E62 and an E71 then switched to BlackBerry (9000/9700).

I would never use a device with a physical keypad again, since I've gotten used to touchscreen devices and prefer them.

I don't see a big market for physical keypad devices. There are a few Android devices with physical keypads (Motorola makes some), but they aren't big sellers.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I would vote for a remake of the N900 as a WP

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    I would never use a device with a physical keypad again, since I've gotten used to touchscreen devices and prefer them.
    This was the thing with this form factor! It was all touch screen if you wanted, and a physical keyboard was there if you needed it! It was kinda the best of both worlds, compromising a little bit on thickness though.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    I've never been a fan a sliders. I had an E62 and an E71 then switched to BlackBerry (9000/9700).

I don't see a big market for physical keypad devices. There are a few Android devices with physical keypads (Motorola makes some), but they aren't big sellers.
    There is always going to be that segment of the market that wants the physical keyboard on their phone, but I think it's getting smaller and smaller. I think many of the previous QWERTY keyboard lovers have accepted the reality of all touch as devices with keyboards are getting harder and harder to find.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cj-m View Post
    I would vote for a remake of the N900 as a WP
    Yeah I get that :)
    The N900 was one hell of a device! And that Maemo...i feel bad that Nokia abandoned it. But here we are with Windows Phone now and I love it more than any other mobile OS ;)

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakdale Dude View Post
    There is always going to be that segment of the market that wants the physical keyboard on their phone, but I think it's getting smaller and smaller. I think many of the previous QWERTY keyboard lovers have accepted the reality of all touch as devices with keyboards are getting harder and harder to find.
    Hardcore texters like me ;)

And it served as a great kickstand too! :D

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    A few years back MSFT put a patent on interchangeable sliding covers. One was a keyboard, one was a game controller, etc. They need to dust that off as it would likely be a good selling feature.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
    Thanked by:
    snowmutt and Dadstar0410 like this.
    The nokia e7

I may be used to using the touchscreen on the nokia 928, but I hate the fact that half the screen disappears when the keyboard pops up. QWERTY sliders are superior because it makes you get full use out of your screen at all times. I wish they made an HTC Arrive 2 because I would have bought that.
    lippidp likes this.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krox1105 View Post
    Yeah I get that :)
    The N900 was one hell of a device! And that Maemo...i feel bad that Nokia abandoned it. But here we are with Windows Phone now and I love it more than any other mobile OS ;)
    Yup! It also came with a nifty little kick stand I think the whole package (N900 and Maemo) was extremely underrated and under appreciated. Anyway, my N900 is still my go to back up phone, always kept charged and in the bottom of the bag.
    krox1105 and nohra like this.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cj-m View Post
    Yup! It also came with a nifty little kick stand I think the whole package (N900 and Maemo) was extremely underrated and under appreciated. Anyway, my N900 is still my go to back up phone, always kept charged and in the bottom of the bag.
    I wish I could a N900 in reality :)
    There was a certain beastly appearance in the old Nokia flagships.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awilliams1701 View Post
    I may be used to using the touchscreen on the nokia 928, but I hate the fact that half the screen disappears when the keyboard pops up. QWERTY sliders are superior because it makes you get full use out of your screen at all times. I wish they made an HTC Arrive 2 because I would have bought that.
    Slider qwerty (with that Nokia tilt) was such an innovative design...i wonder why would people not like it.
    nohra likes this.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    A few years back MSFT put a patent on interchangeable sliding covers. One was a keyboard, one was a game controller, etc. They need to dust that off as it would likely be a good selling feature.
    Any reference link? I want to see them :)
    nohra likes this.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Szeifryl Varona View Post
    The nokia e7
    That phone was so manly. I really think Nokia can learn a thing or two from its past Symbian flagships.
    +1 to the Nokia E7 design. All we need is support for landscape on the Start Screen and preinstalled apps, and were all set!
    Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109
    NNID: TheWPCTraveler

(If you happen to own a 3DS, we could go ahead and be, er, friends. There's a reason I put that friend code out there for everyone to see. Also, that NNID is also my Miiverse ID. You can also find me there.)

P.S. Microsoft Mobile Ly, please bring back the cyan in the Lumia line. THE CYANATION COMPELS YOU.

Devices: Lumia 630, Asus T100, Nintendo 3DS.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    I wonder what's so difficult about making a landscape start screen...
    I wonder what's so difficult about making a landscape start screen...
    You can ask the same about the portait Win8 Start Screen.

(If you happen to own a 3DS, we could go ahead and be, er, friends. There's a reason I put that friend code out there for everyone to see. Also, that NNID is also my Miiverse ID. You can also find me there.)

P.S. Microsoft Mobile Ly, please bring back the cyan in the Lumia line. THE CYANATION COMPELS YOU.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTraveler View Post
    You can ask the same about the portait Win8 Start Screen.
    But...Win8 does have portrait start screen, right?
    But...Win8 does have portrait start screen, right?
    Yeah, but the question is, is the implementation good enough?
    One only haas to look at the preinstalled apps and the start screen itself to find out.
    Besides, Win8 Start Screen looks horrible in portrait.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Well...something's better than nothing. And maybe there are fixes and optimizations in Windows 8.1.

I would personally be fine with no physical Qwerty board IF there were at least ARROW KEYS either physically on the phone or on the virtual keyboard. That is what I loved most about physical slide out Qwertys; the fact that I could just arrow back or up or down to move around my text. I realize I can tap and hold and then move the cursor around. But sometimes that causes you to move around the page too fast and you can't get it right where you want.

But by far, a Lumia 1020 with a physical slide-out qwerty would be just about as perfect as the future could get (I realize there's no way that could really be physically possible and keep a decent shape to the phone, but i can dream).
    This poor soul cried, and was heard by the Lord,
    and was saved from every trouble.
    The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
    and delivers them.

Psalm 34:6-7 NRSV
    Thanked by:
    lippidp and WinFan1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTraveler View Post
    +1 to the Nokia E7 design. All we need is support for landscape on the Start Screen and preinstalled apps, and were all set!
    Yup, that is the same thing I'm hoping for and oh with the pelican array with OIS would be nice :P
    Poll:
    http://forums.wpcentral.com/bbm-wind...-bbm-beta.html

Sign-up to BBM Beta: https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/...dowsphonebeta/

Article: http://www.wpcentral.com/blackberry-...-windows-phone

Use Realplayer Cloud and want Realplayer Cloud app for your WP? Go spam the link contained in this thread with requests! :

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...e-8-8-1-a.html
    Thanked by:
    WanderingTraveler likes this.

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Consumers are fickle. Keyboards are not in style now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a comeback. Nokia needs to create the trends, not follow them, if they ever want to be top dog. Samsung brought back the stylus and made it "cool" with the Note, after many had claimed the stylus was dead. The thing about trends is that at some point people realize that the trend was stupid and then settle on something more practical.
    Thanked by:
    snowmutt and nohra like this.

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Any reference link? I want to see them :)
    I'm sure there is a reference to it out there somewhere. I'm not going to look it up. I'm just basing it off memory.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast