Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Laura Knotek
  • 1 Post By inteller
  • 1 Post By WavingReds

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Kiddie Korner is a great idea. It was only a matter of time until it got implemented somewhere else. I sure hope that WP8 always stays a step ahead in this feature! Being first to do it is fine, but staying ahead of the crowd is what really matters.

LG piles on the software features for latest flagship, including 'Answer Me' and Guest Mode
    LG G2 software features explained: KnockON, Guest Mode, Slide Aside and others
    Last edited by wpoblation; 08-07-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: edited for typo "crows" to "crowd"
    I actually like the name "guest mode" better than "kids corner". I'm surprised Microsoft didn't use the name "guest mode" first. Guest mode sounds more like guest account on PCs.
    MikeSo likes this.

Well lol, you could always rename the Kids Corner to Guest Mode but I do see why they named it that. The people that would "guest" on your phone usually just play with your games and drain your battery =/
    Quote Originally Posted by WavingReds View Post
    Well lol, you could always rename the Kids Corner to Guest Mode but I do see why they named it that. The people that would "guest" on your phone usually just play with your games and drain your battery =/
    I'm actually thinking along the lines of having a 'guest mode' if you let someone (adult, not child) borrow your phone just to make a call and don't want that person to have access to any of your personal data.

yup, i wanna lock my gallery/contacts
    i think the contacts are locked out, but anyone can access the gallery, at the kid's corner settings, guests can choose a wallpaper(this opens all gallery folders, stupid rrly :) )

Global Posts
    2,459 Global Posts
    i'm pretty sure Microsoft has some patents around this mode, whatever you want to call it, so this should get interesting pretty fast.
    neo158 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    I'm actually thinking along the lines of having a 'guest mode' if you let someone (adult, not child) borrow your phone just to make a call and don't want that person to have access to any of your personal data.
    lol oh no I do understand what you're saying, I don't want people to look at my personal info either but what I was trying to get it most of the time when someone borrows your phone it's to play games =/
    Laura Knotek likes this.

I said from the beginning that 'Guest mode" would have been a MUCH better feature and name, even if it functioned the same. I can't understand why they went with Kid's Corner.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSo View Post
    I said from the beginning that 'Guest mode" would have been a MUCH better feature and name, even if it functioned the same. I can't understand why they went with Kid's Corner.
    because the users who will mostly likely use kids corner or guest mode are parents letting their kids to use their phone.

Personally I only let my kids play with my phone. I don't lend it out to other adults. I like kids corner because my kids are the only other people that use my phone. My adult friends all have phones they can use. My kids are my kids not guest. Really, how many times have you lent your phone out to a "guest"?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDizzle33 View Post
    Personally I only let my kids play with my phone. I don't lend it out to other adults. I like kids corner because my kids are the only other people that use my phone. My adult friends all have phones they can use. My kids are my kids not guest. Really, how many times have you lent your phone out to a "guest"?
    Sometimes a friend or co-worker might need to make a call but his/her battery is dead. That person might not be a good enough friend or acquaintance to trust having complete access.

Not everyone has kids or is even around kids.

Android has had support for multiple user profiles for quite some time, although Google has limited it to tablets only. One of the nicer elements with Android's implementation is that settings are not shared across profiles -- so each user/guest has their own email inbox/settings, own web browser history, and so forth.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Agree with the posts above that Guest Mode is a better name.
    With a feature phone, you can have someone else borrow your phone for a quick phone call.
    With a smartphone, you need to take some precautions, especially with WP8 with all of its baked in integration.
    Was there any mention of enhancements to Kid's Korner in GDR3? I think GDR2 didn't bring anything new to it. Like using a different PIN for Kid's Corner vs main screen.