Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

I had trouble accessing my Microsoft account while setting up my new Lumia 1020. Interesting comment from the Chat support person about WP 8.1 below
    Jim B.: The authenticator is a separate device that uses password algorhythms to synchronize your sign ins.
    John: OK seemed to work - thanks very much. I didn't see this in the FAQ section?
    Jim B.: It's fairly new, and won't be a problem for long. The issue is that the Windows Phone 8 login system was designed before 2 Factor Authentication was implemented, so it's not designed for it. The 8.1 update coming soon fixes that problem.
    John: OK but I hear 8.1 Phone is 1st or 2nd quarter 2014?
    Jim B.: Nope, 8.1 is currently in the carrier's hands for final testing against their systems. It should be released to the phones in the next 1-2 months.

I think "Jim B" is confusing WP 8.1 with GDR2.
    snowmutt and Jupast like this.

But my phone is the Lumia 1020 which is supposed to be shipping with GDR2. The 2 factor authentication should have not been a problem if that was the release to fix the problem. I just hope he was correct. WP8 needs all the love MS can give.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Not possible, miss communication somewhere

it's not until next year. and not jan. 1st next year, more like july next year. Microsoft is slow.

I don't think these bugs put delays on Microsoft's progress. I think they have a debug team that is split apart from the regular team when they need it.

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James8561 View Post
    it's not until next year. and not jan. 1st next year, more like july next year. Microsoft is slow.
    Source?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyn6 View Post
    Source?
    No source. Just crying for attention.

No chance, unfortunately. It's not going to leapfrog GDR3, and GDR2 is still rolling out to devices.

White Lumia 930
    tissotti likes this.

I just want GDR2 for my 928... Then I can start complaining about not having GDR3 and so on... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Booston View Post
    I just want GDR2 for my 928... Then I can start complaining about not having GDR3 and so on... :)
    I am so with you there brother!

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    Jim B = Jim Bullshi**er
    ~Sal
    LMZR likes this.

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    congratulations, you found a clueless chat support rep.
    tissotti and LMZR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseySal View Post
    Jim B = Jim Bullshi**er

Haha classic !!!

No way that WP8.1 rolls out before Windows 8.1. I wish that this rep were correct, but most likely not. :(

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoester09 View Post
    No way that WP8.1 rolls out before Windows 8.1. I wish that this rep were correct, but most likely not. :(
    well, for what's its worth, Windows 8.1 is probably coming in August

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    No source. Just crying for attention.
    Not crying for attention, just being realistic (maybe a bit pessimistic). Microsoft sure is slow. Very slow. I would really not consider WP 8.1 to come out before Q2 2014, just for not being disappointed. Even Joe Belfiore urged the community to be patient, that doesnt sound like its coming in the next time and especially not like the carriers are in charge of Wp 8.1 already.

Communication fail. Thats what we have here for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AR2186 View Post
    well, for what's its worth, Windows 8.1 is probably coming in August
    I thought RTM was in August, putting the consumer release around October or so? Maybe I'm wrong.
    snowmutt likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4hab View Post
    Not crying for attention, just being realistic (maybe a bit pessimistic). Microsoft sure is slow. Very slow. I would really not consider WP 8.1 to come out before Q2 2014, just for not being disappointed. Even Joe Belfiore urged the community to be patient, that doesnt sound like its coming in the next time and especially not like the carriers are in charge of Wp 8.1 already.

Communication fail. Thats what we have here for sure.
    Microsoft is not slow. Android and iOS only release new features every year. Windows Phone 8 has added features every couple months. They know what they are doing. Unless you are trying to argue that you could run things better yourself, then I don't think you have a valid argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    Microsoft is not slow. Android and iOS only release new features every year. Windows Phone 8 has added features every couple months. They know what they are doing. Unless you are trying to argue that you could run things better yourself, then I don't think you have a valid argument.
    Only if MS came with features today instead of tomorrow, we wouldn't have to whine about it on the forums.

Just to add my two bits of wants
    1. Support to sync e-mail drafts (doesn't work on an Outlook/Hotmail on account on my 920 and 800)
    2. A unified notification centre (Miss it from my 3GS)
    3. Improvements for the FB messaging sync, loads of messages don't get directed to my messaging app (need to open the fb app or log on from a PC)

I thought RTM was in August, putting the consumer release around October or so? Maybe I'm wrong.
    You might be right on that, thought I had seen it otherwise.

Global Posts
    1,729 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James8561 View Post
    If MS releases it on Jan first, us Verizon customers will have to wait till May or so for it to be released, like we are waiting for GDR2.... More BS from Microsoft saying at the Windows phone 8 press statement that Microsoft would control OS releases, Not the carriers.... remember that ???? There is a lot of that little BS that they pretty much lied about in that press statement.... To Joe...Put up or shut up...

I wish the experts over at XDA could find a hack for WP8 that would allow us to manually install updates like we could with WP 7.X..... So when GDR3 hits we are not waiting 2-3 months for the carriers to "test" it....AKA drop the ball on releasing it...
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

aximtreo and tissotti like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
    If MS releases it on Jan first, us Verizon customers will have to wait till May or so for it to be released, like we are waiting for GDR2....
    Haven't none of the carrier locked devices received GDR2 yet? Including AT&T? I agree that it's dumb we haven't gotten it yet, but I'm not sure this is the time for Verizon "woe is me"-ness.
    Quote Originally Posted by AR2186 View Post
    You might be right on that, thought I had seen it otherwise.
    Yes. I don't remember which site I read it on, but I looked it up yesterday because I wanted to be sure before answering a friend's question. Microsoft announced at WPC that 8.1 will RTM at the end of August.

Ok - quick Bing turns up this official word:
    Windows at WPC 2013
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast