- 07-29-2013, 02:35 PM #2
07-29-2013, 03:04 PM #4
- 2 Posts
I would say that at the moment, there are the usual things like services working between the devices all in a familiar format. (i.e. integrated facebook, twitter, photos, music, calendar, skydrive, Xbox live etc ) I have noticed that both my Windows 8 laptop and my Lumia 920 receive messages, calendar notifications and such at the same time. Despite some of these features being available on Android and IOS, at least some of these services are probably more fluent with a WP due to the same integration and format as Windows 8/RT. But, the theory behind what Microsoft is trying to do is what you would have to gain so long as they can pull it off. Their goal is to eventually have all apps available between the devices. This is supposed to give you the ability to go from one device to the next and still be using your favorite apps. Many apps from WP have appeared on the Windows 8 store but there is still a ways to go including the connectivity between the phone app and the windows 8/RT app(i.e. only some games like skulls of the shogun and Dragon's Blade: Heroes of Larkwood are taking advantage of this by allowing you to continue where you left off from one device to another and allowing for online multiplayer with all the devices together). Making this a full reality though is going to be the biggest challenge they currently have. The developers will really be the ones who have the control to make this happen as they have to be willing to make their apps for both windows 8/RT and WP and then make them work together. It is supposed to be easier for developers to do this since WP8's kernel shares a lot of code with Windows 8/RT. Other than this, if you love the design, the way the operating system runs, don't need 900,000 apps and can wait as the platform continues to grow(which it is receiving official apps all the time now and does have a sufficient number of third party apps to hold over most users until the official ones that aren't available release), WP8 is a good choice but a personal one that no one can make but you.
- 07-29-2013, 06:52 PM #5
<q> "Their goal is to eventually have all apps available between the devices. This is supposed to give you the ability to go from one device to the next and still be using your favorite apps." </q>
Can the other two formats currently accomplish this? As in, (MacBook, iPad and iPhone) and (ChromeBook, Galaxy tablet and Android phone). I am sorry for all the questions. I am not trying to start a format war. I am just trying to learn.
Thank you to all who have replied so far,
- 07-29-2013, 07:08 PM #6
All of your items don't have to match. You can accomplish the same thing if you owned a Mac, Windows Phone and a iPad or Windows Computer iPhone/Android and a surface etc.
Some people confuse integration with interoperability. This is nothing new.
07-29-2013, 10:20 PM #7
- 2 Posts
07-30-2013, 12:01 AM #8
- 272 Posts
MS has the best bet here, if it understands the value of its ecosystem and consider WP as a priority, WP can take over iOS and can be Enterprise Phone without a doubt. I still say, bring all the features of WindowsRT on WP, that would be awesome.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
07-30-2013, 12:14 AM #9*** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
- 780 Posts
Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
07-30-2013, 06:01 AM #12
- 272 Posts
Btw, windowsRT/8 gaining application very very fast. There's a rumor that Windows Store and WP store will be merged. So buy application once and use it on all devices. So we can hope both platforms will be sharing APIs and some features along with stores.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
- 07-30-2013, 01:15 PM #14
Yes, thank you all for this informative thread. I've learned some new to me features to share with the wife as we finalize our tablet/WP8/Win8 laptop choices. We will be checking out our BB/MS store soon. The MS staff just started yesterday. I have some questions to clarify as mentioned above...
1. Is the Office suite on WP8 just Office 365?
2. Will it benefit more to just get a 365 license for each device vs dl?
3. Does the syncing of games work for all Xbox games or just a select few?
4. Do the gamer pts carry over to your Xbox avatar settings?
5. Is there a Visio editing app for WP8 (for small edits of course)?
Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile appIf it isn't Windows, then it isn't trying hard enough.
- 07-31-2013, 01:13 AM #15
2. Dunno, i don't really use Office 365 on my phone.
3. A select few, ones that come to my mind are: Halo: Spartan Assault and Rise of the shogun(?)
4. Yes they do, i have gotten over 200 points from WP xbox games and they can be seen and have been added to my account.
5. Not as far as i know.Proud owner of a Nokia Lumia 1520 in Black I have developed one app!
My personal YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/MickLMZR
Look at my band's channel! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPghwXNoo65KaARZtxDJm1g
And Soundcloud Account! https://soundcloud.com/marigoldrock
I also own a Nokia Lumia 520, HTC Mozart 7, iPod Touch 5th gen 32GB, iPod Touch 4th gen 8GB, HP Veer (AT&T) White, Microsoft Surface 2 64GB, Blackberry Playbook 16GB, iPhone 4 32GB and HP Pre3 8GB.
- 07-31-2013, 04:23 AM #16
2. If you have multiple devices (excluding Windows Phones and Windows RT, but includes Office for iOS) then it would make sense to get a subscription, otherwise if Office will not be used as much then go for Single User license.
3. Select few.
4. It's universal across Xbox Live enabled devices.
07-31-2013, 07:35 AM #17
- 1,376 Posts
I addition MSFT is working to develop the same "look and feel" across all of their products (desktop/laptop(tablet)/phone/xbox/). I'll go a step further to include automobile as well.Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
- By Parteek Agnihotri in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 105Last Post: 08-03-2013, 04:48 PM
- By ballanda in forum Nokia Lumia 925Replies: 5Last Post: 08-01-2013, 07:33 AM
- By pavvento in forum Nokia Lumia 1020Replies: 5Last Post: 07-29-2013, 04:22 PM
- By Stanford Moore in forum Nokia Lumia 1020Replies: 2Last Post: 07-29-2013, 03:23 PM
- By gsquared in forum Nokia Lumia 1020Replies: 3Last Post: 07-29-2013, 02:55 PM