Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73
Like Tree92Likes
  1. haikallp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
       #1  
    Now before you guys, start to hate me on this, I would like to make it clear that I've been a WP user since Windows Phone 7, with the HTC Trophy. In fact, I'm currently using my third windows phone device (HTC 8X).

    I've seen Windows Phone grow since its inception and with every update, it has brought the OS closer to its rivals but lately, it seems to me that Microsoft is taking things too slow.

    It's been 9 months since Windows Phone 8 was released to the masses and since then, there have been little improvements made. GDR2 is pathetic. Thank god for Nokia users, Nokia has bundled Amber update together. I can't believe it took MS 8 months or so to release a minor update. They could have done that in half of that time.

    The competition has revealed their upcoming update, through iOS 7 and Android 4.3 but there's still no concrete news on what we'll be getting in GDR3. These days, it seems Nokia is pushing WP more than MS is. Nokia is the one who have been attracting developers and adding great features to their Lumia devices.

    WP is still lacking on many basic things. Rotation lock, notification hub, some sort of folder management in the music+videos hub, folders in the start screen and of course apps. MS keeps saying they are listening to the user feedback but clearly they are not doing anything, or if they are, its too slow. MS have to understand that they cannot follow Apple and Google's pace. They are behind and thus, needs to put in more effort.

    Honestly, I'm really tired of waiting but I'll wait till WP 8.1 to see what it brings to the table before deciding whether I'll jump to Android or stay with WP.

    What are your thoughts? Do you think MS is taking their own sweet time?
    Current phone: Nexus 5
    Previous phones: Sony Ericsson K750i, Sony Ericsson K630i, Samsung Jet, Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro, HTC 7 Trophy, Samsung Omnia W, HTC 8X
    Next phone: Nokia Lumia 930
  2. 11B1P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    988 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,306 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by haikallp View Post
    Now before you guys, start to hate me on this, I would like to make it clear that I've been a WP user since Windows Phone 7, with the HTC Trophy. In fact, I'm currently using my third windows phone device (HTC 8X).

    I've seen how Windows Phone have growed since its inception and with every update, it has brought the OS closer to its rivals but lately, it seems to me that Microsoft is taking things too slow.

    It's been 9 months since Windows Phone 8 was released to the masses and since then, there have been little improvements made. GDR2 is pathetic. Thank god for Nokia users, Nokia has bundled Amber update together. I can't believe it took MS 8 months or so to release a minor update. They could have done that in half of that time.

    The competition has revealed their upcoming update, through iOS 7 and Android 4.3 but there's still no concrete news on what we'll be getting in GDR3. These days, it seems Nokia is pushing WP more than MS is. Nokia is the one who have been attracting developers and adding great features to their Lumia devices.

    WP is still lacking on many basic things. Rotation lock, notification hub, some sort of folder management in the music+videos hub, folders in the start screen and of course apps. MS keeps saying they are listening to the user feedback but clearly they are not doing anything, or if they are, its too slow. MS have to understand that they cannot follow Apple and Google's pace. They are behind and thus, needs to put in more effort.

    Honestly, I'm really tired of waiting but I'll wait till WP 8.1 to see what it brings to the table before deciding whether I'll jump to Android or stay with WP.

    What are your thoughts? Do you think MS is taking their own sweet time?
    I agree to a point with you. Yes, they could get these updates out sooner, but some of your complaints are not valid.

    *Rotation Lock - yeah, it would be nice, but it is a small fish in an ocean.
    *Notification Hub - Eh, I think notifications could be handled the way webOS did it. I've not used Android so I don't understand the fuss everyone makes about this issue.
    *Folders on the start screen - Huh? We have Live Tiles. Incorporating folders on the start screen completely negates the Live Tiles.
    *Apps - Yeah, this is a personal opinion here. I agree they need to get the major hitters on board, but the os has come a long way since its birth.

    PM me for more details
  3. Jupast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    303 Posts
    #3  
    Even Nokia is getting frustrated with them, as has been reported in the last couple days. So yes, there's frustration all around.
  4. Gal Avraham's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    #4  
    you are so right but other people who try to hush me up(like the closed thread i have opened about microsoft a few days ago) are the problem here. they wont accept to do anything about this except lauding microsoft, and what for?!
    damn, im so sorry i have bought my ativ s. it wont worth it!!!!!!
    Last edited by Gal Avraham; 07-27-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    haikallp likes this.
  5. haikallp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    I agree to a point with you. Yes, they could get these updates out sooner, but some of your complaints are not valid.

    *Rotation Lock - yeah, it would be nice, but it is a small fish in an ocean.
    *Notification Hub - Eh, I think notifications could be handled the way webOS did it. I've not used Android so I don't understand the fuss everyone makes about this issue.
    *Folders on the start screen - Huh? We have Live Tiles. Incorporating folders on the start screen completely negates the Live Tiles.
    *Apps - Yeah, this is a personal opinion here. I agree they need to get the major hitters on board, but the os has come a long way since its birth.

    *Exactly, its a minor thing, yet they can't solve this. I do not want my phone display to keep turning to landscape/vertical when I'm lying down on my bed reading some news or watching a video.
    *I do not want to fill my start screen with medium/large tiles, so provide a notification hub to view and access all my notifications. That notification hub could integrate quick settings for WiFi, data toggles too.
    *Folders maybe a subjective thing. Some people may not want it, but at least give us the option.

    These are all available in Android and iOS so its nothing really fancy or demanding.
    Current phone: Nexus 5
    Previous phones: Sony Ericsson K750i, Sony Ericsson K630i, Samsung Jet, Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro, HTC 7 Trophy, Samsung Omnia W, HTC 8X
    Next phone: Nokia Lumia 930
    vish2801 likes this.
  6. haikallp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gal Avraham View Post
    you are so right but other people who try to hush me up(like the closed thread i have opened about microsoft a few days ago) are the problem here. they wont accept to do anything about this except lauding microsoft, and what for?!
    damn, im so sorry i have bought my ativ s. it wont worth it!!!!!!
    There's no point in being a fanboy. Its good to realize the shortcomings of an OS. Realizing is the first step in improving one's self.
    Current phone: Nexus 5
    Previous phones: Sony Ericsson K750i, Sony Ericsson K630i, Samsung Jet, Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro, HTC 7 Trophy, Samsung Omnia W, HTC 8X
    Next phone: Nokia Lumia 930
  7. haikallp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
       #7  
    Bump!
    Current phone: Nexus 5
    Previous phones: Sony Ericsson K750i, Sony Ericsson K630i, Samsung Jet, Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro, HTC 7 Trophy, Samsung Omnia W, HTC 8X
    Next phone: Nokia Lumia 930
  8. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,509 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by haikallp View Post
    Now before you guys, start to hate me on this
    The days in which such a critical post was seen as provoking in these forums are long gone. Actually there are many posts like this around.

    Nokia: Microsoft Must Evolve to Make Windows Phone a Success
    Union against microsoft

    Other posts just turn to something similar:

    More Windows phone Update are coming later this year...

    Microsoft themselves said they are months behind the point where they want to be, I don't feel like searching for the reference again (I just should have bookmarked it).

    Quote Originally Posted by Gal Avraham View Post
    you are so right but other people who try to hush me up(like the closed thread i have opened about microsoft a few days ago)
    Look, I even referenced to your thread. Maybe it was just not as good as you thought it was and didn't make as much sense as you thought it did and it was closed because of that before it turned into a mess, not because you don't like your Ativ S. Since Windows Phone 7 I write my sometimes very critical opinions openly in this forum, and only once I got a warning for being too harsh.
    Thanked by:
  9. jongthechemist's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    77 Posts
    #9  
    microsoft lacks communication. i think there's a huge problem with the update they're aiming for this year. when you aim too high and focus too much on it, when a problem comes up, you have no choice but to push the release date. maybe they just figured out small updates like gdr2/3 after realising that 8.1 will not be realisticly released before next year. i seriously doubt no one is doing any work in the wp department in microsoft. maybe they should hire more engineers to push updates faster.
    haikallp and tissotti like this.
  10. Fade_z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    420 Posts
    #10  
    We need updates like every 3 months with most needed features, building towards 8.05 and meanwhile they worked on 8.1 making the big leap

    - edit and in those 3 monthly updates add stuff like orientation lock which is pretty easy to code/implement
    And add stuff like double tap to wake in 8.1
    haikallp and vish2801 like this.
  11. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,509 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fade_z View Post
    We need updates like every 3 months with most needed features, building towards 8.05 and meanwhile they worked on 8.1 making the big leap

    - edit and in those 3 monthly updates add stuff like orientation lock which is pretty easy to code/implement
    And add stuff like double tap to wake in 8.1
    Microsoft is really careful with implementing features like this. Often I think it is not about being capable of doing it or not having the time to do it, but more about not destroying the design language of the OS, not to alter how the OS is handled by the user and keeping it all real simple.
    a5cent likes this.
  12. N_LaRUE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15,213 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,216 Global Posts
    #12  
    I think what is most disappointing is not so much Microsoft being lazy as there appears to be some major issues in trying to implement things in the OS. I wish I knew more about programming but it would appear, just looking at things, that MS is having issues with just the basics, let alone anything more complex.

    Let's look at the Facebook app. The developers of it are saying they're having issues making it work they way they want to. That's rather confusing. How difficult can it be? It has to be the limitations of the OS. If you can't get a Facebook app to work right what chances do you have?

    Then look at the OS itself. 'Other' storage is still an issue apparently even after GDR2. Then there are the other issues prior to GDR2 with SD cards, music app, bricking of phones. I've read on many threads of people having 4-5 phones now. That's completely insane.

    The reason GDR2 took so long is that they obviously had many issues to tackle. Probably some we don't even know about. Other issue is it would appear that they didn't fix everything. Which is a tad worrying. So what will GDR3 be? More fixes of course.

    Depending on your view of things. WP is either great, cause you like the difference, or behind other OS's cause it hasn't even implemented what some people feel are the basics.

    I've stated my opinion before. You're either sticking around and waiting to see what happens and then decide after 8.1 or you're going to bolt sooner. Updates are what they are. Whining about them doesn't make them come any faster. There's other platforms to hang out on until WP gets to where you want it to be. It will get there in it's own way according to what MS feels we need. It won't happen on any other terms. Whether WP will ever have all you want is the other question to answer. That again is something for you to decide.
    Ignorance, there is a cure.

    I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing taken by my L920
    Thanked by:
    tissotti, a5cent, Chregu and 3 others like this.
  13. uopjo6's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    170 Posts
    #13  
    Exact same feeling and 8.1 will be the final test to see if I'm staying or not.
  14. haikallp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
       #14  
    Anyone knows what GDR3 will bring to the table? Hope it won't be as pathetic as GDR2.
    Current phone: Nexus 5
    Previous phones: Sony Ericsson K750i, Sony Ericsson K630i, Samsung Jet, Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro, HTC 7 Trophy, Samsung Omnia W, HTC 8X
    Next phone: Nokia Lumia 930
  15. tungha's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by haikallp View Post
    Anyone knows what GDR3 will bring to the table? Hope it won't be as pathetic as GDR2.
    currently we only know that it will support the new hardware, no more information
  16. psudotechzealot's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    841 Posts
    Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    #16  
    Why yes I do, what can we do about it but wait & speculate? I just hope Microsoft listens & give us/potential WP users what we want or add features that take this UI to another level or make it really competitive to Android/IOS in WP8.1.

    I would also like for Microsoft to bring us along for the ride, like show us sneak peek on what they have been work on(like once a month, for example: rotation lock on August, notification center on September, etc). To get a feel for WP8.1 and/or give them some suggestions to improve what they all ready have. At the end of the day everybody in this forum and WP8/7.8/7.5 and WP7 users wants WP to prosper.


    So Microsoft...............
    haikallp and tissotti like this.
  17. drbanks's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    236 Posts
    #17  
    My suspicion is that the devs and project managers are doing their best, but they're bing held back by a lack of commitment upstairs.
    a5cent likes this.
  18. Geddeeee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    564 Posts
    #18  
    I think MS should release a beta with all the supposed 'missing features'. When it lags and judders like a *****, they can say, "See, told you so. Let us get on with it. We know what we're doing". Personally I've never had a problem with WP8 or WP7 for that matter. WP phones require a shift of thinking. A lot of people just don't get that, hence the calls for that stupid Notification Centre idea. For the lsst time.... The phone IS the Notification Centre. Only badly written live tile apps stop that being so....
  19. haikallp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Geddeeee View Post
    I think MS should release a beta with all the supposed 'missing features'. When it lags and judders like a *****, they can say, "See, told you so. Let us get on with it. We know what we're doing". Personally I've never had a problem with WP8 or WP7 for that matter. WP phones require a shift of thinking. A lot of people just don't get that, hence the calls for that stupid Notification Centre idea. For the lsst time.... The phone IS the Notification Centre. Only badly written live tile apps stop that being so....

    • Then why can Google and Apple release updates faster, explain that to me.
    • The start screen is a notification centre? So I have to pin everything that sends notifications to my start screen (which btw, only medium and large tiles show information).
    Current phone: Nexus 5
    Previous phones: Sony Ericsson K750i, Sony Ericsson K630i, Samsung Jet, Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro, HTC 7 Trophy, Samsung Omnia W, HTC 8X
    Next phone: Nokia Lumia 930
    vish2801 likes this.
  20. jlynnm350z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    #20  
    The new Android version "4.3" has very little noticeable changes. Not every update is going to be earth shattering, just saying.
  21. Fade_z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    420 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    Microsoft is really careful with implementing features like this. Often I think it is not about being capable of doing it or not having the time to do it, but more about not destroying the design language of the OS, not to alter how the OS is handled by the user and keeping it all real simple.
    adding basic features is making it more simple..
    I now have a battle every night trying to keep the screen from rotating...
    And dont tell me not to use it in bed, I bought a phone and I expect it to handle these basic's just fine.
    Also how can they possibly ruin their OS by adding noti center or orientation lock?
    Or any of the top requested features?
    The whole idea of an phone is to suit your customers not some idealistic idea, and look at iOS its simple and easy to use but has all of the basic features i could possibly ever want
  22. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,509 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlynnm350z View Post
    The new Android version "4.3" has very little noticeable changes. Not every update is going to be earth shattering, just saying.
    Well, I am sure that it has nothing as great as FM radio like our GDR2, or SMS response and WiFI always on like the legendary GDR1 ;-)

    Is Android 4.3 something to get excited about? Probably not. The bulk of the improvements appear to be under the hood, and the biggest front-end addition that Google demoed -- Restricted Profiles -- was geared to parents and businesses.
    Google Android 4.3 Jelly Bean - Operating systems - CNET Reviews

    My phone runs much less smooth since GDR2 is installed. I have multiple lags even in the native mail application for example, and Spotify lags terribly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fade_z View Post
    The whole idea of an phone is to suit your customers not some idealistic idea, and look at iOS its simple and easy to use but has all of the basic features i could possibly ever want
    I'm entirely on your side! They should implement such a feature as many people seem to want it.

    Personally I'd like to have VPN support, real IMAP support, and a automatic silence function with filters like on the iPhone first.
  23. Rich White's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    70 Posts
    #23  
    The answer is they are a huge company with many irons in the fire concerning Windows Phone and the move towards "One OS to rule them all".

    I expect the Fall phones will be competitive and 8.1 will be significant.

    When I see Win 8.1 running on an Atom LTE by Lenovo modeled after the k900 below I'll see the future. And that will be at CES

    Lenovo K900 - Full phone specifications

    note the screen resolution and screen size and overall size and camera resolution and Microsd slot. Intel announced the new LTE chip is shipping this Fall. This thing begs for 8.1 and the US market.
    tissotti likes this.
  24. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,173 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,296 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by drbanks View Post
    My suspicion is that the devs and project managers are doing their best, but they're bing held back by a lack of commitment upstairs.
    Upstairs? Is that where the accounting department is? In case you're not aware about the realities of the corporate world, managers don't manage. Risk assessment and ROI rules the day. If the shareholders don't make money, you don't see updates. Here endeth the lesson.
  25. haikallp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fade_z View Post
    adding basic features is making it more simple..
    I now have a battle every night trying to keep the screen from rotating...
    And dont tell me not to use it in bed, I bought a phone and I expect it to handle these basic's just fine.
    Also how can they possibly ruin their OS by adding noti center or orientation lock?
    Or any of the top requested features?
    The whole idea of an phone is to suit your customers not some idealistic idea, and look at iOS its simple and easy to use but has all of the basic features i could possibly ever want
    Exactly, these are all basic things. Not something extraordinary nor new. As locked down as iOS is, it covers more basic features than WP. Why must adding more features make the OS less 'metro'.
    Current phone: Nexus 5
    Previous phones: Sony Ericsson K750i, Sony Ericsson K630i, Samsung Jet, Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro, HTC 7 Trophy, Samsung Omnia W, HTC 8X
    Next phone: Nokia Lumia 930
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Did I just get GDR2 or is this a keyboard update
    By ricbon in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-08-2013, 01:08 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2013, 12:32 AM
  3. Nokia Lumia 822 on't turn on/won't sync to my microsoft account
    By annabelleluvbug in forum Nokia Lumia 822
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 01:37 AM
  4. InnoApps, Huawei Apps Developers European Challenge Powered by Microsoft
    By Martsicky in forum General Microsoft News and Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 06:00 PM
  5. Is there a way to open an Instagram account?
    By someoneinwa in forum Nokia Lumia 1020
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2013, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions