Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Nokia: Microsoft Must Evolve to Make Windows Phone a Success - IBTimes UK

Nokia's vice president Bryan Biniak knows that his company is facing an uphill struggle, and points out that its partner in this struggle has been in a similar position before.

At the turn of the century Microsoft introduced the Xbox brand into a console market dominated by Sony and Nintendo.

It managed to overcome its lack of heritage in the market by introducing exclusive titles like Halo, and Biniak believes it now needs to do something similar:

"To give you a reason to switch, I need to make sure the apps that you care about on your device are not only on our phones, but are better. I also need to provide you unique experiences that you can't get on your other devices."

"We are releasing new devices frequently and for every new device, if there is an app that somebody cares about that's not there that's a missed opportunity of a sale."

"We are trying to evolve the cultural thinking [at Microsoft] to say 'time is of the essence.' Waiting until the end of your fiscal year when you need to close your targets, doesn't do us any good when I have phones to sell today."

Biniak agrees that it is up to Nokia to "reinforce the message" that Microsoft has to change its practices when it comes to mobile, especially as a strong platform and app catalogue is key to success:

While it might be vital for Nokia that Windows Phone is a success, it seems that the folks at Redmond don't put quite as much importance on the platform, as it has bigger fish to fry with Windows, Office, Xbox, Surface and more.

Whatever Microsoft's intentions for the platform, it is clear that Biniak and Nokia are intent on making it work, and won't rest until it does:

"As a company we don't want to rely on somebody else and sit and wait for them to get it right."

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Finally, somebody from Nokia has stated the obvious: HEY MICROSOFT! ISN'T IT HIGH TIME FOR YOU TO STEP UP YOUR GAME BIG-TIME???

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I want to have this man's children. And I say that as a straight male. Tell 'em!
    Thanked by:
    wpn00b likes this.

Nokia should just reveal some Android phones. Maybe Microsoft will get the message.
    Jazmac likes this.

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Oh look it's something many of us have been saying.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by inertially View Post
    Nokia should just reveal some Android phones. Maybe Microsoft will get the message.
    So will Nokia, when they realize they are a billion short.
    snowmutt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhishek Upadhyay View Post
    So will Nokia, when they realize they are a billion short.
    It could be a lot less than a billion if they ditch Microsoft right now.
    tissotti and vish2801 like this.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inertially View Post
    It could be a lot less than a billion if they ditch Microsoft right now.
    Yeah, because everybody waits for another Anroid producer next to Samsung, Lenovo, LG, HTC, and the countless others...They could release Nokia Sense, looking like Windows Phone! ;-)

About the thread in general: Microsoft knows and says they are slower than they want to be, we know and say Microsoft is slower than we want them to be, so why shouldn't Nokia do the same?
    hipporama likes this.

Since Nokia has the ability to alter core OS functions, they should just start improving the OS to add more core features.

Then tell MS that they'll either release all those OS improvements as exclusive features for Nokia, or MS could pay them a big chunk of cash to make it available to all OEMs.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Since Nokia has the ability to alter core OS functions, they should just start improving the OS to add more core features.

Then tell MS that they'll either release all those OS improvements as exclusive features for Nokia, or MS could pay them a big chunk of cash to make it available to all OEMs.
    Isn't that what is happening at the moment? The features that the Lumias have over my 8X is steadily increasing.

Global Posts
    2,442 Global Posts
    I would probably just look at Jolla next if Nokia went purely Android in smartphones..
    James8561 likes this.
    Finally, nokia need to be more aggressive with MS, windows phone is much more important than xbox division, so pay more attention and make faster os updates and bring more apps to our beloved os

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts
    Microsoft can't be much faster than throwing Money at developers, or developers themselves throwing themselves at companies to develop for free. People are biased against WP and thats the way it is. I think for the position they're in, MS is doing a good job. They're offering hundreds of thousands to conpanies to develop apps, and developing apps themselves for companies (YouTube and Facebook)
    - Gamertag -
    the teams Flag

www.FLAGZ.net
    @FlagzTV
    Thanked by:
    hopmedic, hipporama and wpn00b like this.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagz View Post
    Microsoft can't be much faster than throwing Money at developers, or developers themselves throwing themselves at companies to develop for free. People are biased against WP and thats the way it is. I think for the position they're in, MS is doing a good job. They're offering hundreds of thousands to conpanies to develop apps, and developing apps themselves for companies (YouTube and Facebook)
    I think this is more about the OS than about the ecosystem.
  15. tgp

Global Posts
    2,288 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    Yeah, because everybody waits for another Anroid producer next to Samsung, Lenovo, LG, HTC, and the countless others...
    I'm not sure I want to see Nokia running Android either, but can Nokia survive with the relatively small WP market share? They need to sell more devices. Nokia arguably makes the best hardware in the industry. If they would put into the Android OS what they've put into WP to cover for Microsoft's shortcomings, a Nokia Android device could be a winner! Android sales are 26 times WP sales, which means that if Nokia captured even 5% of the Android market they'd be much better off.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagz View Post
    People are biased against WP and thats the way it is.
    One could say it's well deserved.
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
    Isn't that what is happening at the moment? The features that the Lumias have over my 8X is steadily increasing.
    No. Although Nokia has the ability to alter the core OS, they do not. All altercations Nokia makes are in firmware or apps only!

Global Posts
    2,442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    I'm not sure I want to see Nokia running Android either, but can Nokia survive with the relatively small WP market share? They need to sell more devices. Nokia arguably makes the best hardware in the industry. If they would put into the Android OS what they've put into WP to cover for Microsoft's shortcomings, a Nokia Android device could be a winner! Android sales are 26 times WP sales, which means that if Nokia captured even 5% of the Android market they'd be much better off.
    One has to remember that when you think about it.. it's not so much Android that is super popular, it's Samsung. It's not that fe. HTC or the various other Android OEMs are doing that much profit on Android. That said, Nokia would have world class hardware to jump into the game with and I guess Nokia if any OEM could rival Samsung in Android sales, but I'd claim it's still an extremely risky move to go there, cos as said, so far it's only really Samsung that is winning in Android business.

I'd say most of the bias is not deserved. The most bias comes from people who have barely ever used one and just ride the bandwagon on what they've heard on the internet. Most people who have actually used WP at least have the decency to admit it's strengths even if it has the weakness. Most of the bias does not do this :P
  18. tgp

Global Posts
    2,288 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    One has to remember that when you think about it.. it's not so much Android that is super popular, it's Samsung.
    Yes that is true. Probably a lot of users who have Samsung devices know that they have an S3 or S4 or Note 2, but couldn't tell you it's running Android. I also think that a lot of Lumia users know they have a Nokia but don't know it's running WP.

Let's flip this scenario and say that Samsung had jumped big into WP instead of Android. Would WP be as popular as their Android phones are? I doubt it. The fact of the matter is that with Android the capabilities are virtually endless. It's also open so Samsung can take the source code and do whatever they want with it. WP has quite a few shortcomings yet, and Samsung wouldn't be able to do much with it. Nokia is doing a great job, but they can't do much more than develop apps to treat the symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    I'd say most of the bias is not deserved. The most bias comes from people who have barely ever used one and just ride the bandwagon on what they've heard on the internet. Most people who have actually used WP at least have the decency to admit it's strengths even if it has the weakness. Most of the bias does not do this :P
    You have a point, but where does "what they've heard on the internet" come from? Users who have actually experienced it maybe? What WP does it does great, but in my experience the problem is what it doesn't do. I have several phones that I use depending on my mood, and I always feel somewhat handcuffed when I'm using WP8. But still, a person should definitely experience WP, or anything else for that matter, before dissing it.

I agree that bias that comes from Microsoft's reputation in years gone by is undeserved. I got Windows 8 as soon as it was available, and I love it! Someone who used Windows earlier than say 10 years ago would have a hard time believing W8 is from the same company.
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)

Not really. Nokia hasn't been making core OS changes. But they are the only OEM that has access to do so.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Not really. Nokia hasn't been making core OS changes. But they are the only OEM that has access to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    No. Although Nokia has the ability to alter the core OS, they do not. All altercations Nokia makes are in firmware or apps only!
    So, I remember something like that (with the core OS) from when they announced they will be producing Windows Phone devices. But what does that mean, is this still valid with Windows Phone 8 and why aren't they doing it then?

^because they would run into copyright issues with Microsoft if they try to modify the OS.
    the problem is that Microsoft update cycles are too slow. they're improving on that a lot though.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James8561 View Post
    ^because they would run into copyright issues with Microsoft if they try to modify the OS.
    the problem is that Microsoft update cycles are too slow. they're improving on that a lot though.
    That's very contradicting to what the others wrote ;-)

I think Microsoft realises that they have to bring quicker updates. That was part of what the recent 'restructuring' at MS was about....

I don't think that MS are totally to blame for all this. If the app developers are not writing apps that adhere to MS guidelines to what makes a good app on WP8, it doesn't matter how many OS updates there are. The apps that run well with Live Tiles that work are a complete joy to use. Those app developers are writing quality stuff for WP8, and it shows.
    The problem seems to be with the lacklustre 'ports' from other platforms where the problems lie. Namely: Whatsapp (battery drainer supreme), and the absolutely awful Facebook app (shame on you MS, probably the worst software I have ever had the misfortune to use.)

We must remember, compared to iOS and Android, WP8 is a very new OS. About 8 months old, if I remember rightly.
    There seems to be a very cynical attitude towards WP8 from the users themselves. This is not what we need as a community. We all chose WP8, so lets get behind MS instead of kicking the ****e out of them. They can't be held responsible for bad app writing and delays or bad service from carriers....

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geddeeee View Post
    We must remember, compared to iOS and Android, WP8 is a very new OS. About 8 months old, if I remember rightly.
    There seems to be a very cynical attitude towards WP8 from the users themselves. This is not what we need as a community. We all chose WP8, so lets get behind MS instead of kicking the ****e out of them. They can't be held responsible for bad app writing and delays or bad service from carriers....
    We are cynical because Windows Phone 8 is exactly like Windows Phone 7 (released in 2010) feature wise, except that we had FM radio back then all along and Zune worked very nicely. After I realized they removed Zune I had to install Songbird and rework my entire music collection to make it at least somewhat comfortable to use on Windows Phone 8.

And when Microsoft releases GDR2 they are even proud for providing FM radio as a great new feature...

So please explain, why exactly shouldn't I be cynical?
    dgr_874 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,375 Global Posts
    I think that with the recently announced MS reorganization that they have started evolving and putting the phone and windows teams together they can integrate those two into one cohesive os and that will be for the better.
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast