07-17-2013, 08:37 PM #3
- 2,298 Posts
Why call you crazy? Its not about that. It won't make you change what you are accustomed to anyway so keep using it.
I prefer Bing. I find the results are cleaner, less duplication, much better presentation and better looking presentation of articles than does google.
I also find Bing especially fitting when I was taking classes a few years ago. Matched results to my searches almost perfectly.
That was a few years ago and today, it is popping on all cylinders and only getting better. But you like goog so stick with it.
I prefer this:
You prefer this:
If you notice there are NO pesky ads with Bing and you get social to boot.
But on the goog,its ads front and center, all day 24/7. With Bing you also get clickable options. "Also Try" Choices of things other than the original search, right on top the results. And on top of that search, you get LOCAL articles for the state you're in. Now that's ballin'. Can't get that with a search more interested in showing ads than content. Bing seems to be a People before profit engine. Fits me better.
With Bing search, you get that cool camera icon.
That gives you this:
But use what appeals to you. We still get the same results but mine is a bit more precision and looks great too.
Last edited by Jazmac; 07-18-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Grammar
- 07-17-2013, 08:40 PM #4
Idk, used google for years. Switched to Bing for the rewards, and now I won't go back... Unless I need to search an address, google has better roadside pics on %75 of the addresses I have to research.
- 07-17-2013, 08:53 PM #5I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
- 07-17-2013, 09:09 PM #6
I was all about google search. Never liked bing. But then I gave it a real try once I moved to WP. Well, surprises of all surprises, I now like Bing more. Who knew?--------------
Lumia 1520, 1020, 920, 820, 810, 620, and 520
Past mobiles: E6, N8, N900, X7, C5-04, C3-00, N93, 5310xm, 6620, 3100, 6275i, 6310i, 6190 and a few ericcsons, motorolas, and even tried some androids and iphones
- 07-17-2013, 11:13 PM #7
I meant on the phone not the PC.
For me I like to find a lot of my info in forums, and when i search on my phone for something I feel like I never get a forum to pop up in the results.
I feel like I get better information in the results with google, maybe I need to try again
07-17-2013, 11:58 PM #8
- 7 Posts
Google works better for me.
Speaking of WP, I have found a way to remap search hardware key to Google.
But then I remapped it back to Bing, because of quick music search.
Still using Google for other searching.
p.s. my fellow MS employee told me, at MS, they're using Google too
- 07-18-2013, 12:23 AM #10
You are right about the forum results on Bing. They are so lacking compared to Google. That's about the only thing I don't like about Bing. Everything else (maps, daily picture, presentation, Bing rewards, etc) I love.
07-18-2013, 12:36 AM #12
- 4 Posts
Would be interesting to try swapping Bing for google if possible.
My gripe with the IE is that if I get a call or hit my home button then go back to IE I can not hit the back button and go to where I was previously like safari.
Hit the home button and you are done, have to retype your search and start over.
- 07-18-2013, 02:57 AM #14
I don't mind bing but as someone who works in IT I would pick Chrome over IE any day of the week
Sent from my iPhone
07-18-2013, 08:38 AM #15
- 218 Posts
I usually use both. In English searches, I use bing, because its results are as good as google (maybe better?) and I can launch it by tapping a single button. But when I want to look for something in my native language (Persian), I use google. In Persian searching, google is providing much better results than bing.
- 07-18-2013, 10:38 AM #17
I don't like Bing results in my PC, like the presentation but not the results, I'm using Bing as a default search if I dont like the results then I go to Google, and it happends all the time... so it's Bing it's not good for me in my PC.
however I'm using Bing in my WP8 all the time becouse the organization of information using metro (web, local, media, shopping).
07-18-2013, 11:22 AM #19
- 72 Posts
Some thoughts on Bing search from my experience (of 7 months with Lumia 920):
1) Initially , I wished man i so badly need google on this
2) Later on , searching for images made me crazy , Bing search on WP is the best image search app , period! It shows the content so nicely and just makes searching images/videos so easy!
3) Further , I noticed that if you select a text and then tap the search button on WP , it immediately searches for the selected text, this was really smart of it and saves couple of clicks
4) With location services on , you can search for food joints and swipe to "local". I'll tell you my experience , I live in New Delhi, India , and I wanted to search for the phone number of KFC restaurant near my house and accidentally typed KFC in bing , and boom! I was shown the local tab with a map and the nearest KFC's location. I was like , "that's quite smart" , but wait , it doesn't end here , I tapped that field and it showed me the phone number of it and there I was ordering my burger! It essentially took typing the word KFC and tapping on it to get me to call it! Also , the drive+ turn by turn navigation can also be accessed from that field and you can get directions immediately.
5) After having dumped google both from IE10 on WP and my PC , now I just realize how fast and reliable bing is! I even tried changing the language of Bing on my phone to see what all features US folks get , and there I saw news and top videos in their version of bing , with music search and local scout. I just wish MS releases these features for India too asap.
So , I would say , just give it a try and see how it works, you'll love it eventually! (You have to )
07-18-2013, 11:40 AM #21
- 1,376 Posts
I'm with Sinime. I started using Bing for the rewards and have become acustomed to using it. Initially Bing lacked the feature to filter by time period. I guess after enough negative comments by me and whomever else they have added this feature. I do still use GOOG once in a while but 99% of my searches go through Bing.
What can you say. They give you free stuff just for using them.Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
- 07-18-2013, 11:50 AM #24
Bing autocomplete just plain sucks.
So here I am, looking to learn the JS crossfilter API for some visualisation work I need to do.
Bing: Type "crossfilt". Suggested results: "crossfit", crossfit mumbai, crossfilt gurgaon. (I don't even live in Mumbai or Gurgaon!). First result after typing crossfilter: crossfilter.org, which has nothing to do with what I need. The second result is the correct page. 3,4,5 are some random Portuguese (I think) sites. Suggested searches: RELATED SEARCHES
Fuel Filter Cross-Reference
Mann Filters Cross-Reference
Mahle Filters Cross-Reference
Baldwin Filter Cross-Reference
Crosland Filter Cross-Reference
Donaldson Filter Cross-Reference
Fleetguard Filter Cross-Reference
Filter Cross Reference Guide
Google: type crossfilt - autocompletes to crossfilter, crossfilter tutorial, crossfilter example. Then first result is the Github reference page for Crossfilter. 2,3,4,5 are various tutorials, blogs et al with usage examples for the API.
Sorry guys, but el Goog is still the king.
Bing may be 'good enough' for some people, but it's not the best. And why should I not use the best?
- 07-18-2013, 11:51 AM #25
- By knjmcdonald in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 8Last Post: 04-04-2014, 07:02 PM
- By crash1989 in forum Nokia Lumia 1020Replies: 6Last Post: 07-20-2013, 08:51 PM
- By robert_in_la in forum Nokia Lumia 925Replies: 16Last Post: 07-19-2013, 07:28 PM
- By danj210 in forum Windows Phone GamesReplies: 31Last Post: 07-19-2013, 12:58 AM
- By misfitpierce in forum Windows Phone GamesReplies: 9Last Post: 07-18-2013, 01:16 PM