Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ImmortalWarrior
  1.    #1  
    There seems to be alot of hate all of a sudden but they do have the right to be angryish, Data sense operates the same as on android ( not really but almost) you have to choose ur plan (not sure if this on android) and type in ur mb data.

    To make this carrier controlled is pretty stupid if u ask me ~_~ most of us aren't in America like me. Not all of us are rich or have good carriers

    The compression part is understandable that can be carrier controlled but the app itself can be released to everyone.

    Data sense without it is not much of a deal for me, but third parties cant write their own apps which really is disgusting!!

    Only carriers or oems can write such apps really Microsoft??

    This is a basic feature you cant deny that !!
  2.    #2  
    All i want is the app side of data sense or if Nokia could maybe make a counter agian that would really be awsome but i dont see this happening since data sense is there which is retarted since it will take forever to reach everyone who has a windows phone 8 device
  3. bayern_tig's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #3  
    Completely agree with you. MS have realized that and will make Data Sense available to a more wide variety of operators or all phones (not sure) in the coming GDR2 update.
  4. #4  
    The reason why the Data Sense app is restricted by the carrier is because they don't want an accurate local data monitor due to the customer being able to see discrepancies between what their device says they use and what their systems says you use.

    Imagine you log in to your Rogers or AT&T account and it says you used 500mbs. Then you check Data Sense and it says 430mbs. Wouldn't you call and complain? I would.

    I know, for a fact, that the data that your carrier claims you use and what you actually see on your device is different. This is because of how and where their servers measure data. On Rogers internet in my area, I know without a doubt that daily usage tracking from their end claims 30% more usage than what my Linux router says I use. Day to day I can look at the data values and Roger's data use always and almost exactly claims 30% more than what my router tells me.

    I understand the technical reasons for this discrepancy but the carriers don't want to deal with explain this to the average customer. So they require the data sense app to align with their data so as to not cause a slew of support calls ******** about inaccurate data tracking.

    Sad but true.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern_tig View Post
    Completely agree with you. MS have realized that and will make Data Sense available to a more wide variety of operators or all phones (not sure) in the coming GDR2 update.
    lol but still we should have had the from the start the app side ofc
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    The reason why the Data Sense app is restricted by the carrier is because they don't want an accurate local data monitor due to the customer being able to see discrepancies between what their device says they use and what their systems says you use.

    Imagine you log in to your Rogers or AT&T account and it says you used 500mbs. Then you check Data Sense and it says 430mbs. Wouldn't you call and complain? I would.

    I know, for a fact, that the data that your carrier claims you use and what you actually see on your device is different. This is because of how and where their servers measure data. On Rogers internet in my area, I know without a doubt that daily usage tracking from their end claims 30% more usage than what my Linux router says I use. Day to day I can look at the data values and Roger's data use always and almost exactly claims 30% more than what my router tells me.

    I understand the technical reasons for this discrepancy but the carriers don't want to deal with explain this to the average customer. So they require the data sense app to align with their data so as to not cause a slew of support calls ******** about inaccurate data tracking.

    Sad but true.
    still doesn't change anything most of us only want like mb lockers telling u are using 1 mb or 2 like androids built in one
  7. berty6294's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,674 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,675 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    The reason why the Data Sense app is restricted by the carrier is because they don't want an accurate local data monitor due to the customer being able to see discrepancies between what their device says they use and what their systems says you use.

    Imagine you log in to your Rogers or AT&T account and it says you used 500mbs. Then you check Data Sense and it says 430mbs. Wouldn't you call and complain? I would.

    I know, for a fact, that the data that your carrier claims you use and what you actually see on your device is different. This is because of how and where their servers measure data. On Rogers internet in my area, I know without a doubt that daily usage tracking from their end claims 30% more usage than what my Linux router says I use. Day to day I can look at the data values and Roger's data use always and almost exactly claims 30% more than what my router tells me.

    I understand the technical reasons for this discrepancy but the carriers don't want to deal with explain this to the average customer. So they require the data sense app to align with their data so as to not cause a slew of support calls ******** about inaccurate data tracking.

    Sad but true.
    Yep. My data sense has been over 200MB shy of what I actually used before. Typically it's within 5MB but there are some times when it is WAY off! I guess Verizon is the only company that doesn't mind tricking their customers.
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

    Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    Yep. My data sense has been over 200MB shy of what I actually used before. Typically it's within 5MB but there are some times when it is WAY off! I guess Verizon is the only company that doesn't mind tricking their customers.
    Lol but i can judge how much i use even without a counter so that off thing is truly Bs.
  9.    #9  
    Fyi im not a android user (Symbian user here) i just like their idea of a counter that's built in even asha has this come on Microsoft :-(
  10. dineshr1988's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #10  
    The thing i cant understand is in India there is no contracts. Y wth i don't have data sense in my l920. Can somebody help??
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dineshr1988 View Post
    The thing i cant understand is in India there is no contracts. Y wth i don't have data sense in my l920. Can somebody help??
    well Microsoft is to blame ofc :-)
  12.    #12  
    I hope they can make a separate version for us or maybe Nokia could bring their counter app back if only dreams could come true :/
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mroofieunblockm View Post
    well Microsoft is to blame ofc :-)
    unbranded phones are supposed too have it but tht doesn't seem so i guess alot of people are pissed lately ^.^
  14. dineshr1988's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #14  
    So will all Lumia wp8 get data sense? Can some confirm on this? Nokia India doesn't responding . :|
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dineshr1988 View Post
    So will all Lumia wp8 get data sense? Can some confirm on this? Nokia India doesn't responding . :|
    well it seems unlocked phones have it and even how data sense works screams no carrier control needed but !! the data compression is carrier controlled and then goes ms servers supposedly all wat ms is doing is deliberately screwing us !!!
  16. dineshr1988's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mroofieunblockm View Post
    well it seems unlocked phones have it and even how data sense works screams no carrier control needed but !! the data compression is carrier controlled and then goes ms servers supposedly all wat ms is doing is deliberately screwing us !!!
    but in India Lumia 920-i don't have :/
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dineshr1988 View Post
    but in India Lumia 920-i don't have :/
    probably after the gdr 2 arrives i think only some unlocked phones got it if that is truly the case i dont really believe that some people can have it.

    But if u a unlocked 925 it seems that you do get it :)
  18. Hot Dawg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    The reason why the Data Sense app is restricted by the carrier is because they don't want an accurate local data monitor due to the customer being able to see discrepancies between what their device says they use and what their systems says you use.
    Doesn't matter, it still comes down to whatever the carrier says. I lost that argument.
  19. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mroofieunblockm View Post
    well it seems unlocked phones have it
    That's not true at all. My Nokia unlocked and unbranded 920 Dev phone doesn't have data sense either. It seems that initial offering of data sense is only for those phones on carriers that signed up for it.

    It's no body but Microsoft's fault.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    That's not true at all. My Nokia unlocked and unbranded 920 Dev phone doesn't have data sense either. It seems that initial offering of data sense is only for those phones on carriers that signed up for it.

    It's no body but Microsoft's fault.
    then how come some unlocked phones do have it "?
  21. fgaudet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    20 Posts
    #21  
    The reason why the Data Sense app is restricted by the carrier is because they don't want an accurate local data monitor due to the customer being able to see discrepancies between what their device says they use and what their systems says you use.

    Imagine you log in to your Rogers or AT&T account and it says you used 500mbs. Then you check Data Sense and it says 430mbs. Wouldn't you call and complain? I would.
    Sorry, but this is load of BS.
    Other phones do have this feature enabled by default, and I've never heard of any angry Android mobs torching their providers about data discrepancies...
    There is just no excuse for not enabling this by default on Windows Phone 8.

    edit: Forgot to quote

Similar Threads

  1. FIFA 13 now available as Nokia exclusive..
    By safeer2222 in forum Windows Phone Games
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 04:15 AM
  2. Who have lumia 920 and iphone 5 or ipod touch 5
    By adipabeta in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-15-2013, 09:13 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2013, 12:56 PM
  4. 920 or 925?
    By thebencourt in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-13-2013, 09:16 PM
  5. Windows Phone Office or Internet exlorer issue...
    By Mystame in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 06:20 AM

Posting Permissions

B