Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Is there any way to install an effective adblock in WP? Back when I used Android there was a way to install Ad Block until google blocked it (https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/0...g-android-apps). Now, since Microsoft doesn't really relies on selling ads for most of its income I would expect them to be more open in that regard and yet I can't find any ad blocking app in the store.

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    There's no ad-block app in the Windows Phone Store, and probably will never get the certification because it blocks the only way which developers use to get money from free apps. Windows Phone is also closed source, which means that many apps (and features) are impossible to develop.
    Developer

Global Posts
    1,494 Global Posts
    Let us devs earn :P ... In windows phone you always have the option of buying for ad free apps in case you are interested and the Dev has made it available.
    Quote Originally Posted by crash1989 View Post
    Let us devs earn :P ... In windows phone you always have the option of buying for ad free apps in case you are interested and the Dev has made it available.
    I agree with you, and I do get paid apps in order to get rid of ads and support developers.

What I'd like to see is an ad-block for IE. I use Firefox as my primary desktop browser, mainly since I can use Ad-block and Ghostery.

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    I agree with you, and I do get paid apps in order to get rid of ads and support developers.

What I'd like to see is an ad-block for IE. I use Firefox as my primary desktop browser, mainly since I can use Ad-block and Ghostery.
    I use DoNotTrackMe from Abine. Works great under IE10.
    Thanked by:
    unease 

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lasm2000 View Post
    Is there any way to install an effective adblock in WP? Back when I used Android there was a way to install Ad Block until google blocked it (https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/0...g-android-apps). Now, since Microsoft doesn't really relies on selling ads for most of its income I would expect them to be more open in that regard and yet I can't find any ad blocking app in the store.
    If you purchase the app you win screen real-estate.

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Need4Geek View Post
    I use DoNotTrackMe from Abine. Works great under IE10.
    Does it block ads on YouTube? Because those are the most annoying ones.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteSomeTime View Post
    Does it block ads on YouTube? Because those are the most annoying ones.
    DNTMe can't block all YouTube ads because Google uses a different method to provide them, but you can get rid of ads using an embedded YouTube version. Have you ever noticed that every embedded YouTube video (in other sites) doesn't contain ads nor age/content restrictions? This is one of a few workarounds you can use.
    Developer

Global Posts
    1,494 Global Posts

I secretly use it on Chrome too.. feeling a bit of shame :P, In my defense there are too many Ads on websites.
    Laura Knotek and lasm2000 like this.
    I secretly use it on Chrome too.. feeling a bit of shame :P, In my defense there are too many Ads on websites.
    I believe ads in apps are fine for the free version, and paid apps should not have ads.

It's the websites, not the apps, where I like ad-block.
    crash1989 likes this.

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Need4Geek View Post
    DNTMe can't block all YouTube ads because Google uses a different method to provide them, but you can get rid of ads using an embedded YouTube version. Have you ever noticed that every embedded YouTube video (in other sites) doesn't contain ads nor age/content restrictions? This is one of a few workarounds you can use.
    So it's pretty much useless. As opposed to chrome + ad block.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Yes, that is essentially my point. I have no problem with devs getting some revenue from their apps (I have just tried Instance free and it is great). But there are some websites which are just plain offensively infested with ads and furthermore, I only have a 400mb per month plan (at 15 bucks with 500 minutes it is actually quite cheap!) and I am not like wasting them on an ad on top of another dancing ad.

Quote Originally Posted by lasm2000 View Post
    Apps by 3rd party developers are only allowed to interact with each other in very limited way - so unless Microsoft implement a contract that allows blocking all ads for another app, and that app implements it - I cannot think of anyway to get an ad blocker.

I believe ads in apps are fine for the free version, and paid apps should not have ads.

It's the websites, not the apps, where I like ad-block.
    I think most of us would say the same ;), I don't mind ads in free apps as long as they are not intrusive.. i.e. ebuddy last time i used it on symbian start showing "adult" ads was rather annoying and very in very much in your face. Speaking of ebuddy that one app i haven't tried on WP8 lol, might give it a try again.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    If you want "No Ads", buy the paid version, support the devs, encourage more WP development. Some people will do something for nothing but you have to remember how much time they spend bringing us their product and if there's a paid/no ads version, I'm all for it.

Ad Block Plus already released for desktop IE. It's in Beta stage and you need to change the list of ad block from default to some other powerful, once you do, works like charm. You can find it on their official site and read their all FAQ and suggestions. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Jazmac likes this.
    What I find shameful is that developers who use ads in their apps are admitting to blocking ads in websites. How is it that the website provider makes money again? How is that different from what you (and I) do in our apps? To block the ads is to steal from the developer, whether that developer writes apps or a website.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
    BTW - I'm not saying that I'm better than anyone else... I used to pirate software all the time. But I've come to realize what I was doing was wrong, and I've changed my ways. I'm only trying to encourage that same change in others.
    - Rich

rcazador likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    What I find shameful is that developers who use ads in their apps are admitting to blocking ads in websites. How is it that the website provider makes money again? How is that different from what you (and I) do in our apps? To block the ads is to steal from the developer, whether that developer writes apps or a website.
    I'm not a developer. I don't pirate. However I don't see anything different with blocking ads in websites or recording a TV show on a DVR and skipping the commercials.

I pay for my Internet service, so if I don't want to see ads on websites that's my option, just like if I don't want to see TV commercials.

I'd like to have an adblock when viewing websites via internet explorer, but yeah dev's deserve their money and adblockers for ads in apps should not be allowed and probably will never be allowed.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

I'm a web developer and I block third party ads when browsing the internet. I don't feel bad about it either. When I visit a website, I want my computer talking only to that server, not 15 other servers from all kinds of ad services that are building a profile of all my internet browsing activities. I'm not opposed to the idea of ads on websites in general. But host your own damn ads if you want me to see them.

It's amazing how much faster web sites perform when you're not waiting for ads from all kinds of third party ad services to load.
    Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    I'm a web developer and I block third party ads when browsing the internet. I don't feel bad about it either. When I visit a website, I want my computer talking only to that server, not 15 other servers from all kinds of ad services that are building a profile of all my internet browsing activities. I'm not opposed to the idea of ads on websites in general. But host your own damn ads if you want me to see them.

It's amazing how much faster web sites perform when you're not waiting for ads from all kinds of third party ad services to load.
    Beside Ad-block, I also use Request Policy and Ghostery in Firefox.
    Thanked by:
    Nimdock likes this.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Indeed, as you have mentioned, an adblocker is usually the only way one can enforce some sort of elementary privacy on the web. The "do no track" request is only that, a request. Google goes as far as burying that option deep in the options menu of its own browser followed by a disclaimer "most sites don't comply with this request, starting with us".
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    I'm not a developer. I don't pirate. However I don't see anything different with blocking ads in websites or recording a TV show on a DVR and skipping the commercials.

I pay for my Internet service, so if I don't want to see ads on websites that's my option, just like if I don't want to see TV commercials.
    Out of curiosity, how much of your internet subscription money goes to the host/developer of the websites that you visit?

Fact is that blocking ads steals from those people. Justifying it doesn't make it right.
    - Rich

Out of curiosity, how much of your internet subscription money goes to the host/developer of the websites that you visit?

Fact is that blocking ads steals from those people. Justifying it doesn't make it right.
    What about DVR? Does that "steal" from companies that pay for advertising? And this doesn't apply to subscription payments when one doesn't pay for cable -- one can get broadcast TV only and use something like Windows Media Center to record broadcast TV and skip commercials.

What makes websites more special than TV stations or TV shows?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast