1.    #1  
    Hi
    I was hanging out with a friend of mine when a third friend mentioned us both in a tweet... My friend ( iPhone user) got an INSTANT notification, while I had to Wait for 10 min. To get it on my 8x ( using Gleek).
    I searched about it here in the forums and I think that official twitter app can handel the notifications much better.

My question is.. Why can't all the apps het the same system as the official twitter app ( if what I heard wad true). And what really make take so long while other older platforms can do it seamlessly?
    The official Windows Phone Twitter app does provide instant notifications. That's why I use it and got rid of all 3rd-party Twitter apps.

Notifications can pop up because a server sent the "toast" to you or because a "periodic task" ran in the background and decided to display a notification. I don't know if Gleek uses periodic tasks to look for Twitter mentions, but if it does, the wait for an alert can be as long as 30 minutes since that's the frequency at which Windows Phone runs those periodic tasks.

As mentioned by lak611, the official Twitter app uses server-based notifications, so they should come without a wait for a task to run on your phone. (I don't know if the Apple and Microsoft push services have any substantial performance differences.)
  4.    #4  
    Ok, so why don't developers follow this twitter example and start using the server? Even the Facebook app is #$#$#$ I can't get notifications almost all the time.
    Btw I downloaded the official twitter app on my phone and its super fast. Wish all other apps will get the same thing.

Global Posts
    2,839 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitter@Firas_MD View Post
    Ok, so why don't developers follow this twitter example and start using the server? Even the Facebook app is #$#$#$ I can't get notifications almost all the time.
    Btw I downloaded the official twitter app on my phone and its super fast. Wish all other apps will get the same thing.
    Facebook app is currently in beta. If you want to partake in the beta, and send your feedback to microsoft to help make the app better, you can do so.

Facebook Beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitter@Firas_MD View Post
    servers for push notifications cost money that a lot of indie developers don't have.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    the push notification comes from the service

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Rowi has just added instant notifications as well.
    Follow Me: @FinsUpDNC
    I am a co-host of the Surface Geeks podcast where we cover Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, and tech!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    Facebook app is currently in beta. If you want to partake in the beta, and send your feedback to microsoft to help make the app better, you can do so.

Facebook Beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    im sending feedback since day one. But I wasn't talking about the beta Facebook, its the old one, I bet that you hate it too :) .
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    servers for push notifications cost money that a lot of indie developers don't have.
    so that's why XD .... Thanks a lot!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by njtechguy View Post
    Rowi has just added instant notifications as well.
    With the Paid version :)

Global Posts
    662 Global Posts
    Apple has a special server to push all notifications.

Traditionally , Different apps are connected to their respective servers and your device must keep track of all those servers to get updates.

In iOS , All notifications from all servers are connected to Apple server and Apple pushes you all notifications from all those servers from their own server , therefore ur iOS device is connected only to Apple server.

So if u have multiple devices , all those devices are still under same account. Apple doesn't push notifications to your device.It pushes all notifications to your account.So all devices connected to that account get notifications.Thats how Gamecenter , iMessage work across OS X and iOS.

That's how they merge Apple ID and Phone number for facetime.

(I am sure Apple's way of pushing notifications is true but not sure what way WP pushes notifications)
    Last edited by Sanjay Chandra; 05-08-2013 at 08:44 AM.
  13.    #13  
    Don't you think that Ms should do the same in order to push their mobile OS? I don't know a lot about this, but find it more convenient and lets not forget that ALL the apps are under Microsoft's control as far as I know, unlike what we can see on android.