Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By darkoman4
  • 1 Post By AngryNil
  1. TrophyNostalgia's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
       #1  
    So recently I've had the opportunity to possibly upgrade my trusty HTC Trophy Windows Phone 7.5 to a Nokia Lumia 822 through my plan at Verizon. However I know recently something changed between Microsoft and Google concerning some sort of syncing technology. I avidly use my Google Calendars with my Windows Phone (this isn't a changeable option, I have to use Google) and I wanted to double check do Google Calendars still sync properly to Windows Phone 8 with the recent changes? (I believe they dropped support for EAS or something). I want to get a new phone but it would destroy a lot of use for my smart phone if I put in my Google credentials and my calendar no longer worked on my phone. As this is now the case with Windows 8 on my laptop and I was quite frustrated with that. Do Google Calendars still work if Google credentials are added fresh to a Windows 8 phone?
  2. Talldog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by TrophyNostalgia View Post
    Do Google Calendars still work if Google credentials are added fresh to a Windows 8 phone?
    Only in the browser.
  3. #3  
    ...
  4. Kevin N Smith's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    418 Posts
    Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    #4  
    Why do you have to use google? F***king evil company. Use outlook, and sync your contacts,email,calendar over.
    ATMOSPHERE WEATHER
    Atmosphere is an advanced weather app with a beautiful and user friendly interface. It uses advanced graphs and typography to make the forecast readable and detailed, yet beautiful to look at and use.

    SUPPORT/DEVELOPMENT THREAD
    Support thread at WPCentral
    DOWNLOAD NOW
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...6-3e5b977a2aec
    FOLLOW ATMOSPHERE ON TWITTER
    https://twitter.com/AtmoWeather
  5. pillswoj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    #5  
    You say you "have to" use google, why? Is this a business google account? If so then ActiveSync is still supported, it is only the free google that dropped activsync support.
  6. Al_2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    228 Posts
    #6  
    It was announced that Google Calendar would continue working on WP via the normal method (EAS) until July when it would switch to calDAV support. Your Google Calendar will work just fine in the built-in Calendar app.

    Syncing Google services with Windows Phone
  7. TrophyNostalgia's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_2 View Post
    It was announced that Google Calendar would continue working on WP via the normal method (EAS) until July when it would switch to calDAV support. Your Google Calendar will work just fine in the built-in Calendar app.

    Syncing Google services with Windows Phone
    So now I'm confused because I have received mixed answers, some saying it will and others saying it won't work. Typically I don't use Google except heavily for this email and calendar account. I have to use it because it is attached to my college email account. (Google is used by my college for their calendar and email systems, so no I can't change that) it's a .edu account on the Google servers.
  8. darkoman4's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    #8  
    It WILL work. End of story.
    Thanked by:
    admorris#AC likes this.
  9. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    755 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TrophyNostalgia View Post
    So now I'm confused because I have received mixed answers, some saying it will and others saying it won't work.
    Google EAS support (which is required currently to support calendar sync) is still active until this summer. However, if you are setting up a new device, it will not work because EAS for new device setup has been disabled since 1/31/2013. Only existing account and existing devices work.

    CalDAV API will also soon no longer be supported by recent announcement of Google. Only existing developers can continue to use this API. Fortunately, MS is one of the current developer for Google CalDAV API. But it is unclear what is Microsoft's next move after EAS support is dropped by Google. In latest Windows 8 update, Microsoft did the following:
    1. Removed Google Calendar support in its Calendar app completely regardless if you can still sync with Google or not.
    2. Add Google contacts sync to your Hotmail/Outllook account
    3. Switched Gmail sync to IMAP.

    I sense Microsoft is playing hard ball with Google by remove support of Google Account in Windows 8 desktop OS early.
  10. Al_2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    228 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    Google EAS support (which is required currently to support calendar sync) is still active until this summer. However, if you are setting up a new device, it will not work because EAS for new device setup has been disabled since 1/31/2013. Only existing account and existing devices work.

    CalDAV API will also soon no longer be supported by recent announcement of Google. Only existing developers can continue to use this API. Fortunately, MS is one of the current developer for Google CalDAV API. But it is unclear what is Microsoft's next move after EAS support is dropped by Google. In latest Windows 8 update, Microsoft did the following:
    1. Removed Google Calendar support in its Calendar app completely regardless if you can still sync with Google or not.
    2. Add Google contacts sync to your Hotmail/Outllook account
    3. Switched Gmail sync to IMAP.

    I sense Microsoft is playing hard ball with Google by remove support of Google Account in Windows 8 desktop OS early.
    I don't think that's quite right. This blog: Syncing Google services with Windows Phone (from the Windows website) says:

    You may have seen a recent announcement from Google regarding changes to the Google Sync service used to connect devices to Google services (Google Sync utilizes the Exchange ActiveSync, or EAS, protocol from Microsoft to synchronize email, contacts, and calendar). We’re happy to share today that Google will extend their support for new Windows Phone connections via Google Sync until July 31, 2013.
  11. travis_valkyrie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #11  
    It will still work, a few days ago I got a notification on my windows 8 laptop that my uni account (which uses Gmail) has dropped support for EAS and prompted my password to sign back into,it still works. On my Lumia 820, it did prompt me for my password too. I can still make tasks and change appointments as if nothings changed.
  12. jaj324's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    #12  
    I use google for personal contacts and some calendar. It syncs with my 8x perfectly. Am I missing something here?
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
  13. pseudoware's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    432 Posts
    Global Posts
    849 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoman4 View Post
    It WILL work. End of story.
    +1
    Just add the account.

    And if you're resourceful enough, you can get any secondary/shared calendars on your Google acct to work, as well.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  14. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    755 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_2 View Post
    I don't think that's quite right. This blog: Syncing Google services with Windows Phone (from the Windows website) says:
    That's really old news. And not contradicting what I said. I tried to add my existing Google account to a new PC a few week ago and get connection errors right away from google even though I already have the same account sync just fine on two other Win8 PCs. Of course, now, after the update, you don't even get the chance to do it any more.
  15. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    755 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaj324 View Post
    I use google for personal contacts and some calendar. It syncs with my 8x perfectly. Am I missing something here?
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
    1. You probably added it to your phone before 1/31/2013. Now if you hard reset or switch to a new phone, you will see what we're talking about.
    2. After this summer, your contacts and calendar will no longer sync unless Microsoft release something to handle that.
  16. jaj324's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    #16  
    I added the account last year but I've done a factory reset since 1/31/13. The google account still works.
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
  17. Al_2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    228 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    That's really old news. And not contradicting what I said. I tried to add my existing Google account to a new PC a few week ago and get connection errors right away from google even though I already have the same account sync just fine on two other Win8 PCs. Of course, now, after the update, you don't even get the chance to do it any more.
    The article I linked to is still current and refers to the situation for Windows Phone. The situation for Windows 8/RT is quite different, which seems to be what you're referring to.
  18. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    755 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_2 View Post
    The article I linked to is still current and refers to the situation for Windows Phone. The situation for Windows 8/RT is quite different, which seems to be what you're referring to.
    What I am saying is that MS hasn't said anything about how to deal with it after July 31, 2013 on WP8. Now CalDAV will also sunset after 9/2013, whatever everybody was speculating last year are no longer valid. I'm just speculating what happens to Windows 8 desktop could be exactly what will happen to WP8 after 7/31/2013.

    And it certainly doesn't help any new WP8 users who just bought the fancy new phone after 1/31/2013.
  19. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,380 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,384 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    What I am saying is that MS hasn't said anything about how to deal with it after July 31, 2013 on WP8.
    They have publicly stated that they are going to add CalDAV support in Windows Phone, which will continue to work indefinitely.

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    it certainly doesn't help any new WP8 users who just bought the fancy new phone after 1/31/2013.
    You can still connect your Google calendar to your Windows Phone. Right now.
    svenhassel likes this.
  20. oryan_dunn's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoware View Post
    +1
    Just add the account.

    And if you're resourceful enough, you can get any secondary/shared calendars on your Google acct to work, as well.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    What do you mean by resourceful enough? I need to get my shared google calendars on my device, but can't figure out how. My family members use google calendars, and I need to be able to see their calendars on my phone.
  21. OzRob's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    598 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
    What do you mean by resourceful enough? I need to get my shared google calendars on my device, but can't figure out how. My family members use google calendars, and I need to be able to see their calendars on my phone.
    I believe the post is alluding to the idea of searching the forum. If you type "multiple google calendars" into the search box you would find this thread which will answer your question.
  22. oryan_dunn's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by OzRob View Post
    I believe the post is alluding to the idea of searching the forum. If you type "multiple google calendars" into the search box you would find this thread which will answer your question.
    Ah, thank you. And here I thought "resourceful" was eluding to writing my own app or something.

Similar Threads

  1. Navel gazers on Windows Phone still don't get it
    By Techblogger in forum Phone Wars
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 09:52 AM
  2. Google Maps on Windows Phone Disabled?
    By photobriangray in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 10:02 PM
  3. Making a guide: Google services on Windows Phones
    By illegaloperation in forum General Microsoft News and Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 01:01 PM
  4. Google account buggy on Windows Phone 8
    By KoukiFC3S in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 12:43 PM
  5. How to Sync Google Calendar on Windows Phone 7
    By cp2_4eva in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 07:40 PM

Posting Permissions