- 03-18-2013, 04:00 AM #1
Just got a L920. Played around with it for about 15 minutes so far and I have some questions... (New to WP8 OS)
1.) Is there no way to add someone from texts to your contacts list? I.E. link a name?
I access the contacts via "people" "all"
That's the only way to add people and phone numbers?
Why is it called a "New Hotmail Contact?"
2.) No way to get battery percentage on the start screen at the top?
I have to go into settings > battery saver every time to see the % of battery left? Is there any kind of app that is good for this?
3.) Under settings > lock screen
You can only have one app to show a detailed status? (Well I wouldn't exactly call it detailed, but a message appears at the top of the phone.)
So If it's on "messaging" I'll see a notifation at the very top
of the phone and that's it? Every other notification will ONLY
be shown via the live tiles? Like Phone/E-mail Accounts etc?
4.) If I have multiple gmail accounts
Do I have to make multiple live tiles for the accounts?
Is there no way to have one live tile represent multiple
5.) No shortcut to turn wifi on/off? Bluetooth etc - All those common settings...?
6.) Can you set certain photos not to show up in the "photos" live
7.) Best apps to get to enhance the experience of WP8?
8.) Any way to set the battery/signal to stay fixed on the top of the phone
permanently or do you always have to swipe down from the top
of the phone?
9.) Do the live tiles update instantly when you're sent an e-mail/text?
Thanks a bunch!
- 03-18-2013, 04:32 AM #2
1. You can add the number to an existing contact or add it as new contact. Just tap the number whilst the text message is open. From there, it should be straight forward.
It is called Hotmail contact because your account is driven off by your Microsoft account.
2. There are apps that does this. They update every 30mins. I prefer this to be integrated, not from a third-party app.
3. On the lock screen, you can have one detailed notification and five others that show the number of notifications for max of five apps.
4. You can have linked inboxes. I, myself, have Yahoo, Microsoft and Gmail emails linked together.
5. None yet. This should be addressed on future updates. For the mean time, you can choose from several apps on marketplace that does this functionality. Quick Settings is what I'm using at the moment.
6. You can. Only your favourites show up on the Photo Hub live tile.
7. This really depends on you. Lots of missing apps though especially you coming from iOS. You might find this disappointing.
8. I myself don't understand why MS designed WP8 this way. Kinda dumb if you ask me.
9. Texts, yes. Microsoft emails, yes. Gmail, Y! Mail, etc...- no push notifications unlike MS accounts. You can configure other emails to auto-forward it to your Microsoft email so push notification will work.
- 03-18-2013, 05:40 AM #3
1.) All the battery apps really only update once every 30 minutes? Wow....Kinda useless then.
2.) When you link the inboxes are all the emails just thrown into one inbox? It's not confusing?
3.) The photos in my camera roll are displaying via live tile. So I don't think It's just "favorites" ? I don't even have my favorites set up.
4.) Wow, so with gmail accounts there's no "push notifications" or otherwise a number over the app to show how many new emails are in gmail? I have to manually go into gmail and hit refresh to see if I have any recent emails?
- 03-18-2013, 06:05 AM #5
1. Unfortunately, yes. I don't use them.
2. You will have one inbox for all linked emails but you can view emails for certain account only as well. Tap ... then select 'folders'.
3. Start adding photos to your favourites folder and see.
4. Non-Microsoft emails have sync settings of every 15mins, 30mins, hourly, two hours or manually.
- 03-18-2013, 01:08 PM #8
Any idea how to get tethering via USB to work?
I assume -
>Connect 920 via USB cable > Settings > Internet Sharing > On > Shows "Broadcast Name" "Password" etc
Yet when I look at internet access bottom right of my computer task bar it says
"This computer has limited connectivity to NOKIA Lumia 920"
And I can't get internet working on my notebook.
- 03-20-2013, 05:11 AM #14
So how do > People > "Rooms" and "Groups" work exactly? Can I invite someone from iOS or Android to them?
Is the sound for alerts like someone calling / notifications - louder than the keyboard typing clicks? Seems like when I turn the volume up so I can hear the keyboard clicks the alerts are significantly louder.
Is there an individual sound option for the keyboard clicks?
What's with the red sensor? E.G. You press and hold down on the screen to position the black cursor which is replaced with a red one? It seems so sloppy...
If you've accidentally added a word to the dictionary how do you remove it?
- By WPer in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 37Last Post: 09-13-2013, 12:06 PM
- By Eden Lincoln F Oliveira in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 2Last Post: 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM
- By thatotherdude24 in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 0Last Post: 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM
- By bessel in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 1Last Post: 11-13-2012, 10:07 PM
- By Will Dreiling in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 1Last Post: 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM