Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Jnbs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    360 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
       #1  
    I am not making a statement or promoting a rumour. It is just my opinion and here is why..

    As of today, the term Lumia has been used in 10 devices from Nokia. They already expire the cycle of the name because they already bumped up all of the older generation lumias.. 800->820, 510->520, and on.. They can't release another one because it will say: "Hey here is the 930 which is better than the 920 so don't buy the 920". In my opinion they will come up with a different name say EOS, Catwalk, Juggernaut,(introduce yours here) that will say "this device is different in hardware and in name, but offers an improved experience in software. You can still buy the 920 because its at the same level as the (whatever they call it)."

    I think that it is very important for Nokia to change the name of their family to a "catchy" one, you know the likes of the Galaxy or iPhone.. (Don't include HTC ,the One is going to be destroyed by the GS4 again) in order to actually sell more devices. So far the lumia family is very well known for the experience that delivers to the user, I expect them to continue to deliver but with a different name and hardware..

    Cheers..
  2. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,376 Posts
    #2  
    I'm sure they will drop the Lumia brand sometime in the future but I don't see that happening for a while. They have spent a lot of money building up that brand name and it would be foolish to abandond it at this point in time. What I foresee is Nokia introducing a new brand name along-side the Lumia devices.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
  3. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #3  
    It will be idiotic of Nokia to drop the name anywhere in the near future. Name/brand building takes a lot of time and effort. Why do you think everyone knows what a Galaxy phone is?
    nikhilr51 likes this.
  4. JMBasquiat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    188 Posts
    #4  
    They have invested a lot of time and money on the name/brand, so it would be an odd decision for them to simply drop it. Lumia has become basically synonymous with Windows Phone, and that's not a bad thing. Apple didn't drop the name iPhone even though it has appeared on 6 different phones already.
  5. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    #5  
    It's branding. If they come up with a new name it will be to show how it surpasses the Lumia line.

    Marketing 101.
    My next phone...
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.
  6. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,106 Posts
    #6  
    I doubt you will see that in the next couple of years.

    Nokia has usually kept its naming systems for years. Nokia sold 20 million in a year with N-series smartphones (like N95) and Nokia kept that branding for 4 years. Business smartphones E -eries lived for 3 years. Before N-series and E-series the 4xxx, 8xxx, 9xxx branding lasted for 6 years.
    Elop has already said that Lumia will be its own thing inside Windows Phone and the reason why Nokia didn't want the official Windows Phone branding that 8X went for. Nokia's Windows Phones are just as much Windows Phones as they are Lumias. Kind of repeating what they did with Symbian and S60 at the time.
    I really don't see it going anywhere for a long time.


    I'm sure you didn't mean it, but still wanna remind people that EOS, Catwalk etc are most likely Nokia's internal names for projects. Like Lumia 800=Sea Ray, N9=Lankku, N950=Dali, N900=Rover etc. RM-xxx are the more specific hardware builds.

    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    It's branding. If they come up with a new name it will be to show how it surpasses the Lumia line.

    Marketing 101.
    Even in that case i would expect to see that inside the Lumia branding. Actually we have already seen that in a form of PureView. They could also rise the digits to Lumia xxxx, like they did with N-series.
    Last edited by tissotti; 02-28-2013 at 09:11 AM.
  7. #7  
    They may drop it once it's aging too much, much like the N-Series branding. I don't think it will happen in a short while, because that will be a very idiotic move by Nokia. A new series to surpass the Lumia lines would make sense, but that one, I think won't come anytime soon.
    Nokia Lumia 620 - White
    tissotti likes this.
  8. fardream's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    357 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by tissotti View Post
    Business smartphones E series lived for 3 years.
    A Lumia E7X would be very very nice. Long time E71 user here
  9. failed1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    178 Posts
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    #9  
    Does it matter?
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express
    tissotti likes this.
  10. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,106 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    A Lumia E7X would be very very nice. Long time E71 user here
    They wont bring old Symbian smartphone brandings back, but i loved the N-series brand at the time. You truly were always getting the highest end available when you bought phone with N-series on the back.
  11. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    996 Posts
    #11  
    Lumia is a brand now, doubt they will ditch it soon.
  12. devize's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    #12  
    Lumia is a pretty cool name. At least it is more original than Galaxy and much better than HTC's One series, surely they could have thought up something better than that? Nokia's number system makes it much easier to differentiate the level of the devices too compared to say Sony's Xperia lineup such as the Xperia U, P, S, SX, GX, J, V, T, TX, SL, J, E, Z, ZL etc etc. Good luck differentiating between those. With the Nokia system you can be pretty sure that the lower the number = lower range device. Nokia are running out of 3 digit numbers though.
  13. astraith's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,291 Global Posts
    #13  
    Not going to happen. The Lumia brand is becoming the Galaxy of WP, changing it now would be bad.
  14. Jnbs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    360 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
       #14  
    I agree, but well they either keep introducing Lumia's with XXXX numbers and new branded devices. Or they could change to Pureview.. I know Lumia is very popular. Heck I have a L800 and a L900. But, my point is that the XXX numbering is fading away and I don't see at least in my opinion a foreseeable LXXX.. Maybe they will call it Lumia Pureview XXX or something like that. Anyways like to see opinions from everyone.
  15. Jnbs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    360 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by failed1234 View Post
    Does it matter?
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express
    Yes it does.. Branding is what makes devices sell. Like Galaxy or iPhone. Even Xperia has a bit of branding outside of the U.S.. Lumia has become that, but i just can't see a 930 or 950 they have to bump it up to four digits as pointed out in other comments.
  16. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #16  
    Lumia is the name for the Nokia Windows Phone. Changing that would be like Apple changing iPhone for their phones, or iPad for their tablets. Or Samsung moving away from their Galaxy name for Android. It just isn't going to happen. Too much money is invested into building the name to discard it after so few iterations. They may change the numbering convention, but never the Lumia name.

    And for the record, I believe they still have roughly 990 three digit combinations available to them.
    Thanked by:
  17. Jnbs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    360 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    And for the record, I believe they still have roughly 990 three digit combinations available to them.
    Yes they do lol.. But they can't go lower.. People will think that they are lower end. For example if I tell you that the L100 is better than the L920 would you believe me?? Maybe, but our minds work "the higher, the better". Therefore, I don't see it feasible to use LXXX anymore. We'll see..
  18. #18  
    You're wrong - I have heard there is a 930 coming out.
  19. sravanv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnbs View Post
    I am not making a statement or promoting a rumour. It is just my opinion and here is why..

    As of today, the term Lumia has been used in 10 devices from Nokia. They already expire the cycle of the name because they already bumped up all of the older generation lumias.. 800->820, 510->520, and on.. They can't release another one because it will say: "Hey here is the 930 which is better than the 920 so don't buy the 920". In my opinion they will come up with a different name say EOS, Catwalk, Juggernaut,(introduce yours here) that will say "this device is different in hardware and in name, but offers an improved experience in software. You can still buy the 920 because its at the same level as the (whatever they call it)."

    I think that it is very important for Nokia to change the name of their family to a "catchy" one, you know the likes of the Galaxy or iPhone.. (Don't include HTC ,the One is going to be destroyed by the GS4 again) in order to actually sell more devices. So far the lumia family is very well known for the experience that delivers to the user, I expect them to continue to deliver but with a different name and hardware..

    Cheers..
    I think you just contradicted yourself. You're saying 800->810/20, 900 -> 920 is bad but Galaxy S -> S1 -> S2 -> S3 -> S4 is good? Iphone -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Iphone 4 -> Iphone 4s -> Iphone 5 is good?

    Everyone does it. ****, auto companies do it. It's a brand strategy that has been tested against time.
    Thanked by:
    Residing and Laura Knotek like this.
  20. Jnbs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    360 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
       #20  
    In a sense yes.. But what I meant is the numbers. I think that Lumia could stay but the numbers are just fading away. And I tried to point out a new "catchy" name for their new family..
  21. Jnbs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    360 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by David Tomilson View Post
    You're wrong - I have heard there is a 930 coming out.
    As i said I was just stating my opinion. OF course they can do whatever they want i would still buy a new Lumia. But I am convinced that they have to change the format from XXX to XXXX, and introduce a new family. MAybe the Pureview or any other "catchy" name like Juggernaut lol.
  22. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    996 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnbs View Post
    Yes they do lol.. But they can't go lower.. People will think that they are lower end. For example if I tell you that the L100 is better than the L920 would you believe me?? Maybe, but our minds work "the higher, the better". Therefore, I don't see it feasible to use LXXX anymore. We'll see..
    Its easy, just start over, say Lumia 9, then 9.1 or so.
    Thanked by:
  23. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnbs View Post
    Yes they do lol.. But they can't go lower.. People will think that they are lower end. For example if I tell you that the L100 is better than the L920 would you believe me?? Maybe, but our minds work "the higher, the better". Therefore, I don't see it feasible to use LXXX anymore. We'll see..
    If all it takes is a higher number to convince you that something is better, I would question your qualifications as an educated buyer...

    It has been done before. I believe IBM went "up" from 5000 to 3000 series servers without issue. The name, and even the number series are arbitrary. Making the flagship the Lumia 100 could potentially help clear our stock on existing 920s to uneducated buyers, while those in the know get the 100s.

    They could also release the 921,922, etc. or as said previous on this thread, move into 4 digit numbers.
    Thanked by:
  24. sravanv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnbs View Post
    In a sense yes.. But what I meant is the numbers. I think that Lumia could stay but the numbers are just fading away. And I tried to point out a new "catchy" name for their new family..
    I imagine that as time goes on they'll do something to this extent. But we could conceivably see up to a Lumia 990. Looking at the average product roadmap, we'd see that released around 2016-2017 or something. By then, they could use something like Lumia X series, Lumia Y series, Lumia Z series.

    In fact, if I were them I would have it coincide with a significant WP firmware update, say WP9? Once WP9 gets released, Lumia can refresh their brand and marketing campaign to coincide with Microsoft's.

    That way they could market the new WP9 with the "Lumia X" flagship device. This would replace the outgoing WP8 and "Lumia 940" flagship device (or whatever the final flagship Lumia phone will be on WP8).
  25. sravanv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    If all it takes is a higher number to convince you that something is better, I would question your qualifications as an educated buyer...

    It has been done before. I believe IBM went "up" from 5000 to 3000 series servers without issue. The name, and even the number series are arbitrary. Making the flagship the Lumia 100 could potentially help clear our stock on existing 920s to uneducated buyers, while those in the know get the 100s.

    They could also release the 921,922, etc. or as said previous on this thread, move into 4 digit numbers.
    Actually I would respectfully disagree. You're comparing one group of consumers to a different group. I would argue that typical everyday consumers are pretty stupid, and marketing campaigns have to be adjusted to that. How many people have you seen sign up for a 2 year contract because a crappy smartphone is being advertised as free?

    Compare that group of consumers to a higher educated consumer group that is purchasing an IBM server. To them, the technical specifications of the server is more important than the name. To some consumers, they want the 920 because it's higher than the 820. They want the bigger screen for the sake of having a bigger screen. They want the Iphones for the sake of having the iphones wifi 4G apps.

    Even though the Iphone 4 was vastly superior to the HTC Evo...this is still a hilarious example of the "stupid consumer":
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-25-2014, 09:10 AM
  2. I can not use LTE in Japan
    By yamachan03 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2013, 03:36 AM
  3. Nokia Lumia 810 (T-Mobile) will not finish booting.
    By svmtoo in forum Nokia Lumia 810
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 02:04 PM
  4. Nokia VP: Pureview will come to Lumia devices “very soon”
    By ninjaap in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 03:24 PM
  5. Nokia Music not on Lumia 900?
    By diegosalinas in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 06:57 AM

Posting Permissions

B