Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 64
Like Tree26Likes
  1. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by KorJax View Post
    I don't understand. Blink feed just looks like a neat RSS widget which is nothing like live tiles(unless you only use RSS feeds on your home screen).

    You guys also forget that to get this you need an extremely high end an expensive phone not to mention having to deal with the king of battery life vampires on android... Using heavy widgets on android completely slaughters battery life and performance. HTC gets around this by making really beefy phones. My SO has a relatively new HTC phone and is lucky to get more than 8 hrs of battery life, without such battery draining widgets on the home screen.

    Meanwhile my Lumia gets double the battery life, runs just as smooth if not smoother (as the os was actually designed around live tiles), works better and lets me do more than this does, and to top it all off all on a phone that costs half as much. Your move, HTC?
    Have you actually used the HTC One or no? Seems to have no issues with speed. In fact pretty much every 2013 Android flagship is fast as heck.
    Battery life is not an issue that either the 920 or 8x can brag about being glitch free. 8 hours on her older HTC you say? My 2 year old Motorola Atrix 4G gets more than that, with the widgets above running and background services as well. We can go back and forth like this all day if you like.
  2. #27  
    It is an amazing idea, but it will be an information overload for users. Plus I am not sure why none of the Android OEMs get the animations right. Doesn't anyone see the animation between screens as well as Blinkfeed a little jerky? Going microseconds back and forth type feeling? With WP everything when works, it just flooooooooooooows.

    However, I can think of at least 20 friends who will be amazed as soon as they see this HTC phone and buy it instead of a Lumia 920. Why? Same old, it has apps, that doesn't. It has "new" blinkfeed, this doesn't and I will react, wtflower are you talking about, this whole thing is freaking "NEW" every morning I wake up, SMH.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.


  3. KorJax's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    Have you actually used the HTC One or no? Seems to have no issues with speed. In fact pretty much every 2013 Android flagship is fast as heck.
    Battery life is not an issue that either the 920 or 8x can brag about being glitch free. 8 hours on her older HTC you say? My 2 year old Motorola Atrix 4G gets more than that, with the widgets above running and background services as well. We can go back and forth like this all day if you like.
    It's not an older HTC it's a newer one. And I know there isn't much slowdown on newer/flagship androids but my point is my $300 lumia 810 manages to get double the battery life in my experience at least, and I know for a fact from owning an android tablet that having intensive widgets running on your homescreen makes android suck battery like no tomorrow.
  4. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by KorJax View Post
    It's not an older HTC it's a newer one. And I know there isn't much slowdown on newer/flagship androids but my point is my $300 lumia 810 manages to get double the battery life in my experience at least, and I know for a fact from owning an android tablet that having intensive widgets running on your homescreen makes android suck battery like no tomorrow.
    OK, but just so we're clear on the difference, there's a big difference in how much juice is needed to power a tablet screen plus widgets compared to a phone.
  5. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,378 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts
    #30  
    I hope Microsoft is very happy with their signature partner.
  6. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    OK, but just so we're clear on the difference, there's a big difference in how much juice is needed to power a tablet screen plus widgets compared to a phone.
    I thought, processors and memory management was key to battery life, followed by screen size and usage.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.


  7. XENOPHOS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,400 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,502 Global Posts
       #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    Have you actually used the HTC One or no? Seems to have no issues with speed. In fact pretty much every 2013 Android flagship is fast as heck.
    Battery life is not an issue that either the 920 or 8x can brag about being glitch free. 8 hours on her older HTC you say? My 2 year old Motorola Atrix 4G gets more than that, with the widgets above running and background services as well. We can go back and forth like this all day if you like.
    I have to agree. It is Jelly Bean that is doing wonders. My old RAZR also went ballistic with it. And note my neXus 4, obviously is cool. But that's not the point.

    The UI looks great IMHO. Jerky or not, it is bound to catch eye. And the availability... Its just announced and we know it's already coming all around the world.
    So... lot of things matter if u ask me..

    Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.
  8. #33  
    I don't think so, seems like an RSS feeder with pictures. Nothing like live tiles, plus I don't think HTC would compete with MS like that. They want as many people as possible to buy their phones whether it's WP or android. The boomsound seems impressive but I would rather see OEMS start transitioning from a 3.5mm analog jack to a hybrid mini-TOSLINK/3.5mm jack, that way we can have true digital headphones. If HTC made a WP like the 8X but with that I would easily shell out $600 for it.
  9. elvisgp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    I have to agree. It is Jelly Bean that is doing wonders. My old RAZR also went ballistic with it. And note my neXus 4, obviously is cool. But that's not the point.

    The UI looks great IMHO. Jerky or not, it is bound to catch eye. And the availability... Its just announced and we know it's already coming all around the world.
    So... lot of things matter if u ask me..

    Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.
    I thought you were thought done with android? I recall reading that you were wanting to switch to windows phone and leave your RAZR behind. But now you have a nexus 4? How is it?

    sent from my jelly bean flavored note 2
  10. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,378 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts
    #35  
    The strength of Live Tiles is that you have standardised widgets for all apps. Standardised in their design, standardised in their size, standardised in their availability. On iOS, there's a counter at best; on Android, there's far less guarantee that you're going to get one with a certain app, let alone one that fits with the interface your device has. That's really what sparked those two platforms to move towards notification centres - because it provides a standardised system that apps can plug into.

    Windows Phone doesn't need a full-blown notification centre. Take weather - on iOS, you can get the current weather by getting notifications from a weather app. Therefore, you'll see it as a notification on the lock screen, and in the notification centre. On Windows Phone, you have an app with a Live Tile and lock screen background - no notification centre needed, no real downside. Communication services and social updates do need priority though, and that's where the notification centre comes in. Texts, calls, emails, Skype, WhatsApp, IRC.

    As for the rest of the apps, two things need to happen - 1) less restrictions on the periodic background agent (option to change refresh time from ten minutes to several hours, increase memory limit) and 2) an affordable or free push system for notifications that indie developers can use, especially for games. Game Center on iOS has really good push, Windows Phone needs the same.
  11. scdkad's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    123 Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    WP fans need to stop being so insecure with the thinking that any new feature on another platform will mean doom for WP. Each OS has it's pros and cons and other OSes are bound to "borrow" features. It's not the end of the world.
    The problem is everybody will think google invented this concept just like they think apple invented the smartphone..
    XENOPHOS likes this.
  12. scdkad's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    123 Posts
    #37  
    After watching 2 minutes of that video I got a headache. Way too complicated-WP far more simpler than this mess..
  13. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    The strength of Live Tiles is that you have standardised widgets for all apps. Standardised in their design, standardised in their size, standardised in their availability. On iOS, there's a counter at best; on Android, there's far less guarantee that you're going to get one with a certain app, let alone one that fits with the interface your device has. That's really what sparked those two platforms to move towards notification centres - because it provides a standardised system that apps can plug into.
    That was true in 2010, but not anymore. There's a lot of very popular apps on Play Store that come with widget 'suites' if you will, that not only give you a standardized appearance that complies with Google's "holo" design standards but each one of these suites also has other developers separately designing dozens of themes for that suite of widgets. No offense but a lot of people are incredibly misinformed about current Android trends. I don't mean that in a critical way, because it's understandable that if you don't own one you're not going to be bothered keeping up on what other devices are doing. So because of that this is what happens: People see images of a brand new Android out of the box, see the often not very attractive skin the Manufacturer slapped on it, and say "oh what a mess". What you're missing is the incredible world of customization people are doing out there.
    Thanked by:
    XENOPHOS likes this.
  14. stmav's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,685 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    #39  
    But then again most of us don't come to a Windows Phone forum to get informed about android phones.
    eric12341 likes this.
  15. WinFan1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryker002 View Post
    Theres a video of it here, live.

    Its just a rip off windows phone, and I think the average consumer will probably hate the way it works, and if they like it. We might have a future WP customer.
    why the **** does htc make all their phones so damn graphic intensive that garbage looks so laggy in this video...this thing is gonna kill battery life. everything is like doing something.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”- Plato

  16. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    But then again most of us don't come to a Windows Phone forum to get informed about android phones.
    I'm not the OP, Don't hate the player, hate the game :P
  17. Rickosw's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #42  
    I know there are major differences between Blinkfeed & Live Tiles ...but the general public dont ...

    Just an off the air comparison ...

    Blinkfeed content providers : see link

    HTC Launches Blinkfeed with the new HTC One — HTC Blog

    HOW MANY ACTUAL WORKING LIVE TILES app does WP have ? - can anyone give a rough estimate?

    I think definitely way more than HTC "associated partners" ...

    like what AngryNil commented I hope Microsoft is very happy with their signature partner.... (now we know the TRUE REASON why HTC wont make a REAL FLAGSHIP for Windows)

    this is where i strongly believe NOKIA & Windows should STEP UP THEIR GAME & Continue to make more "EXCLUSIVE & USEFUL Apps TOGETHER" & Improve the overall Windows Phone experience. (includes improving LIVE Tiles)

    Plus Point: After a while when you get sick of BLINKFEED => Due to extreme battery requirements ... - guess what you cant REMOVE THEM! - WOOOHOOO !!!http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/articl...r_home_screen/

    HTC has confirmed its new BlinkFeed home screen can't be completely removed from the flagship One Android smartphone.
    Last edited by Rickosw; 02-22-2013 at 10:02 AM.
  18. mrdeeds_72's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    177 Posts
    #43  
    WP has to be cognizant of blinkfeed only for the fact that people are already getting it confused with live tiles. Blinkfeed to me is a more robust Flashback, but with a processor and ram to handle it.
    Sent from my HTC 8X using Board Express
  19. stmav's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,685 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    I'm not the OP, Don't hate the player, hate the game :P
    Not hating anyone. It's all good. Thus the tongue smiley face.
  20. XENOPHOS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,400 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,502 Global Posts
       #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisgp View Post
    I thought you were thought done with android? I recall reading that you were wanting to switch to windows phone and leave your RAZR behind. But now you have a nexus 4? How is it?

    sent from my jelly bean flavored note 2
    Yes. I still love Windows Phone. But NeXus 4 was too tempting. Not just the specs were impressive, the OS received some fantastic reviews from bloggers here in India and around the world. Its just plain awesome. Fast. Snappy. And beautifully stunning. And for this price, its a steal. I didn't pick WP8 for a couple of things.
    A. Its too expensive here.

    B. Though I liked the HTC 8S the most, its hardware lacked severely.

    C. Other phones looked strictly average to me (design wise).

    Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.
  21. #46  
    So in android everything can now be standardized using an app? All my widgets, no matter what app I install before or after standardization will automatically have themed widget? Yes, thankfully I don't own an Android, even £200 of Nexus didn't tempt me because investing double the price in Nokia's camera made more sense than buying an average spec phone that needs huge processor to run the OS and in turn a huge battery to keep up with processor! But, let's learn a little about android on WPCentral if that's how it is.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.


  22. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,824 Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    And beautifully stunning.
    Stunningly beautiful? My friend has it, and even though I'm sure it's good, it's not nice looking, actually, I find it - if not ugly - simply mundane.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
  23. WPmunkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    295 Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    That was true in 2010, but not anymore. There's a lot of very popular apps on Play Store that come with widget 'suites' if you will, that not only give you a standardized appearance that complies with Google's "holo" design standards but each one of these suites also has other developers separately designing dozens of themes for that suite of widgets. No offense but a lot of people are incredibly misinformed about current Android trends. I don't mean that in a critical way, because it's understandable that if you don't own one you're not going to be bothered keeping up on what other devices are doing. So because of that this is what happens: People see images of a brand new Android out of the box, see the often not very attractive skin the Manufacturer slapped on it, and say "oh what a mess". What you're missing is the incredible world of customization people are doing out there.
    Ok dude we get it, Android used to run like dog crap now it runs less like dog crap. To me it seems the same. JB runs alright but I've never used an Android that I felt was on par with either of my WPs (7 and 8). Nexus devices are a different story but GS3, HTC One, and Droid whatevers can die a slow death.
  24. robinleck's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    186 Posts
    #49  
    Thought I share this link...

    Cameras: HTC One vs Nokia Lumia 920 - Neowin

    No contest & no brainer ;)
    Sent from my Windows 8.1 Vivotab Smart Tablet PC ��
  25. elvisgp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    Stunningly beautiful? My friend has it, and even though I'm sure it's good, it's not nice looking, actually, I find it - if not ugly - simply mundane.
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I personally find holo more attractive than metro.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trading an HTC One X for a Lumia 900 - Yes, really
    By wamsille in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-05-2012, 11:11 AM
  2. Nokia Lumia 900 vs HTC One X
    By saintforlife in forum Phone Wars
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 02:51 PM
  3. HTC X one ADD for WP. lol?
    By Se1fcr3ation in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 02:27 AM
  4. HTC One X wallpapers (adapted for WPhones)
    By fraincs in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM
  5. Camera face off: lumia v. 4s v. HTC one x
    By cp2_4eva in forum Phone Wars
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

B