Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Coolknight1968
  • 1 Post By fatclue_98
  1.    #1  
    The new PDF reader update is disappointing at best.

    While we can now delete files, the upload to Skydrive is not a solution. In fact it is a way to loose potential customers.

    For midsize companies outside the US the Skydrive solution is a NO-GO as many documents are confidential and as there is no way that they will accept uploading such sensitive data to US based servers. US corporations tend to forget that in Germany for example Mittelstand companies provide 70% of all the jobs... all over the world mid sized companies provide millions of jobs and they will not upload to US servers, because they compete against US companies.

    This kind of poor software is hurting WP8 market share and device sales, so Nokia, HTC and Samsung are hurt by this simple missing feature.

    We need to be able to download files to a folder or into the PDF application, then mail them over our exchange servers or Kerio mail server or whatever, that is not based in the US to the final destination. Very often such a destination would be inside the corporate email network.

    So, I find the MS solution kind of short sighted and maybe even insulting to some people in a way...

    MS must make it possible to send files from our folders on our WP8 devices, this without the files going over US servers. It is a question of market share and it works on Android and iOS devices.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
    Thanked by:
  2. LazySunday's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    129 Posts
    #2  
    Second it....
  3. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #3  
    WP8 is designed around Cloud Storage. Sending files from local storage is a non-starter for this OS.

    If it's any consolation, MS hasn't hosted EU data on US soil for at least 2 years.

    Here is a graphic as of FY2010, but more have come online since.

    ms-datacenters.png
  4.    #4  
    Second it...
    Look at market share of WP8 in Germany!
    Then look at the market share of Android and iOS...
    You don't get it do you... In Business Europe and the US are not friends... we compete!
    Who makes the nice cars?
    Who makes the nice luxury bags?
    Who makes the $3'000.- watches?
    Who makes the special machines to build the stuff..
    We do in Europe... especially in Germany!
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    WP8 is designed around Cloud Storage. Sending files from local storage is a non-starter for this OS.

    If it's any consolation, MS hasn't hosted EU data on US soil for at least 2 years.

    Here is a graphic as of FY2010, but more have come online since.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ms-datacenters.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	28674
    Under these conditions, Windows Phone 8 will never be able to get past 20% market share in a average European basis...
    So, reconsider...
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
  6. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #6  
    Looking at current marketshare is highly misleading. WP has only been around for a couple years, and actively pushed for 3 months. Of course their market share is going to be negligible.

    As for US and EU competing and all the overpriced stuff you guys make over there... What does that have to do with anything? I don't see you making phones (Nokia the exception) or OSes (OSii?). If you want to support an EU phone manufacturer, buy a Nokia.

    EU info is stored in Dublin and Amsterdam, probably in a couple more locations since then.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    Looking at current marketshare is highly misleading. WP has only been around for a couple years, and actively pushed for 3 months. Of course their market share is going to be negligible.

    As for US and EU competing and all the overpriced stuff you guys make over there... What does that have to do with anything? I don't see you making phones (Nokia the exception) or OSes (OSii?). If you want to support an EU phone manufacturer, buy a Nokia.

    EU info is stored in Dublin and Amsterdam, probably in a couple more locations since then.
    So... If I follow your logic... best would be to stop all manufacturing in the US. Products made there are mainly lower margin and don't fetch luxury prices for most of them.
    In Europe we make expensive stuff and we sell it well. As to electronics, that is all made in Asia these days because the whole manufacturing industry is there and you better manufacture where the parts suppliers are.

    To get back to the subject... It is no big deal to add the ability to send files from inside an app like PDF reader. IF MS will not do it, they will not get the market share they need with small to medium sized companies outside the US. Business it about profits, not politics!
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
  8. B T C's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    157 Posts
    #8  
    I don't use it that much, but I know before the update I could not open the Lumia 920 pdf support documents on Nokia's website, and now I can. In that regard, I'm happy and feel it's an improvement.
  9. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolknight1968 View Post
    To get back to the subject... It is no big deal to add the ability to send files from inside an app like PDF reader. IF MS will not do it, they will not get the market share they need with small to medium sized companies outside the US. Business it about profits, not politics!
    But it is a big deal, because it would be a fundamental change to the design and even concept of the phone. The capabilities you ask for are not built into the OS, for a reason. MS doesn't want this to be another idroid with a different color paint. They want a fundamental paradigm shift.

    I actually find the workflow through SkyDrive to be far more efficient than everyone having their own individual (and potentially not up to date) copies of a document stored locally.

    And before you use the security argument of the cloud, if the security of your document is that important, it should never be winding up on a phone to begin with.
  10. ag1986's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    488 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    Looking at current marketshare is highly misleading. WP has only been around for a couple years, and actively pushed for 3 months. Of course their market share is going to be negligible.

    As for US and EU competing and all the overpriced stuff you guys make over there... What does that have to do with anything? I don't see you making phones (Nokia the exception) or OSes (OSii?). If you want to support an EU phone manufacturer, buy a Nokia.

    EU info is stored in Dublin and Amsterdam, probably in a couple more locations since then.
    Clearly you've never read about backups...

    If MS store EU data only in Dublin and/or Amsterdam, that's a Bad Thing. Cloud storage should be replicated to at least four locations, two of which should ideally be on different continents or located so that one natural disaster could not affect both datacenters.
  11. philpeeps's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolknight1968 View Post
    For midsize companies outside the US the Skydrive solution is a NO-GO as many documents are confidential and as there is no way that they will accept uploading such sensitive data to US based servers. US corporations tend to forget that in Germany for example Mittelstand companies provide 70% of all the jobs... all over the world mid sized companies provide millions of jobs and they will not upload to US servers, because they compete against US companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1986 View Post
    Clearly you've never read about backups...

    If MS store EU data only in Dublin and/or Amsterdam, that's a Bad Thing. Cloud storage should be replicated to at least four locations, two of which should ideally be on different continents or located so that one natural disaster could not affect both datacenters.
    So, the US is a no-go for this sensitive data but having it on a minimum of 3 different continents (host continent and 2 backup continents) is A-OK...gotcha!
  12. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1986 View Post
    Clearly you've never read about backups...

    If MS store EU data only in Dublin and/or Amsterdam, that's a Bad Thing. Cloud storage should be replicated to at least four locations, two of which should ideally be on different continents or located so that one natural disaster could not affect both datacenters.
    Per my first post, the most current information MS has released on this was for FY2010... And I did say "probably in a couple more locations since then" indicating that it was likely that the data is stored in a couple more locations since that information was released.
  13. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,437 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,549 Global Posts
    #13  
    Guys, whether it's in the US or Europe, if you can't attach a PDF to an email you're not going very far with the enterprise sector. Now let's give credit where credit is due. Coolknight1968 has a legit argument. Some of the world's greatest inventions have been of German origin. Guttenberg's printing press, the internal combustion engine (Otto cycle), the Diesel engine, the Wankel engine, the list goes on and on. Here in the States, we just do it with style!
  14. philpeeps's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Guys, whether it's in the US or Europe, if you can't attach a PDF to an email you're not going very far with the enterprise sector.
    True, the rest of the argument just started getting ridiculous, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Now let's give credit where credit is due. Coolknight1968 has a legit argument. Some of the world's greatest inventions have been of German origin. Guttenberg's printing press, the internal combustion engine (Otto cycle), the Diesel engine, the Wankel engine, the list goes on and on. Here in the States, we just do it with style!
    Touche.
  15. endacrowley's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #15  
    PDFs can be emailed using Office....
  16. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Guys, whether it's in the US or Europe, if you can't attach a PDF to an email you're not going very far with the enterprise sector.
    I ask you this... What is the difference between directly attaching the PDF to an email or sending you a link to it on SkyDrive/Sharepoint? End result, the person on the receiving end receives the PDF.

    The biggest difference, is you can choose who can see it in SkyDrive (either individually via login, or anyone who has the link), and you know they will be viewing the most up to date version, not one that has been emailed around with untracked changes. I would say the SkyDrive/SharePoint workflow is more secure.
  17. Mr_pither's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    #17  
    Better than the craptacular Adobe app we're stuck with on 7.x ....
    at&t fired up LTE in my area only 1 year later than promised!
  18. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,437 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,549 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    I ask you this... What is the difference between directly attaching the PDF to an email or sending you a link to it on SkyDrive/Sharepoint? End result, the person on the receiving end receives the PDF.

    The biggest difference, is you can choose who can see it in SkyDrive (either individually via login, or anyone who has the link), and you know they will be viewing the most up to date version, not one that has been emailed around with untracked changes. I would say the SkyDrive/SharePoint workflow is more secure.
    Simple, time is money. I don't have the time to create a link and then send that same link on an email that could have had the document on it in the first place. My recipient doesn't have the time to open a link to find a document that could have been on his terminal already. Get it? When I want to define who sees a document I simply add them as recipients. This is not rocket science nor does the wheel need to be re-invented for the sake re-inventing.
    philpeeps likes this.
  19. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #19  
    I don't have the time to create a link and then send that same link on an email that could have had the document on it in the first place
    This is done very simply by long pressing on the PDF and hitting Share. It auto does all of this. All you have to do is type in the name of the recipient. Same as if you had to hit "attach" to an email.

    My recipient doesn't have the time to open a link to find a document that could have been on his terminal already.
    They have to click on the file to open the attachment anyhow... Unless it is a horrendously slow network, the time difference will be a fraction of a second. They aren't clicking a link to the folder to find the file, they are clicking the link to open the individual file, in the body of the email.
    wp_ss_20130213_0001%5B1%5D.png

    When I want to define who sees a document I simply add them as recipients.
    I teach my children that once you send something to someone on the internet, it is completely out of your control who can and cannot see that file.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    So, the US is a no-go for this sensitive data but having it on a minimum of 3 different continents (host continent and 2 backup continents) is A-OK...gotcha!
    No you did not. I don't want specific documents in the cloud outside my company. If I can download a .pdf to my phone from my email server, I can relay it without cloud use on iOS or Android by going through my corporate mail server. This independent of my email server solution. All that is needed is the ability to download and send Office Documents and .PDF files. As a result the files don't leave my country.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
  21.    #21  
    The problem is where the file goes. i.e. Mittelstand company makes a CNC machine, do you think they feel comfortable if they feel that some documents on US servers could be grabbed by the NSA and given to Haas?
    Would you store your data in China? This is how this is viewed by Mittelstand companies, it just results in lost WP8 device sales.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

Similar Threads

  1. Why is PDF Reader so bad??
    By iPwnza in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 09:42 PM
  2. AT&T Portico Update Is Available
    By rdef in forum HTC 8X
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 09:52 AM
  3. Is there a native PDF reader like W8?
    By gfunk84 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM
  4. Any Alternate PDF reader that's not Adobe?
    By Winterfang in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 10:55 AM

Posting Permissions

B