Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49
Like Tree6Likes
  1. interopbyt's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    814 Posts
    Global Posts
    817 Global Posts
    #26  
    Hopefully the update passes through fine!
  2. Vheissu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    111 Posts
    #27  
    If they want to blame HTC, and claim they are just a dumb pipe like ISPs, then they need to act like a dumb pipe and let me do whatever the $#%* I want with my data. You can't play both sides of the fence
  3. astraith's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,291 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks7 View Post
    Maybe you can get HTC to move Verizon up in the pecking order for the next software update. So what does your HTC contacts say? does verizon have the update and just sitting on it? or is HTC still testing portico out before they cut it loose to verizon?
    The people i Know are tech support over the phone. They don't make those types of choices sadly. But that's what I was trying to say. Asking HTC would be asking them, and they don't know.
  4. ikinal's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #29  
    Does anyone have any insight as to whether it is possible to manually update Windows Phone 8 devices like we could with the method for pushing out cabs to Windows Phone 7 devices?
  5. wpn00b's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTraveler View Post
    Portico is the first minor update for Windows Phone 8. Technically, it includes some features and bug fixes, like any other update, so you should probably update your phone.
    Apollo is the initial release of Windows Phone 8.

    And, it's Mango, not Mange. You do realize that each codename ends with 'O', right. NoDo -> Mango -> Tango -> 7.8 -> 7.X | Apollo -> Portico -> 8.X
    LOL yes I do realize that. That was a typo (probably auto-corrected somehow because I know I intended to write "Mango") I only noticed it just now as I re-read my post prior to reading your response. I appreciate the response btw.
  6. DavidinCT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,339 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,342 Global Posts
    #31  
    Is there a way I can take a inactive AT&T sim in my phone and search for updates to get it ?
    PPC6800 ->HTC Touch Pro 2 ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

  7. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #32  
    In this case, I actually believe the Verizon rep. They do have more technology on their network for WP8 than other networks do. At present, they are the only ones sporting the DataSense capabilities. Perhaps it has something to do with that?
  8. Ultimateone's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    764 Posts
    #33  
    Switched to ATT this week and now have a 920 with Portico, boom
  9. etphoto's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    336 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,489 Global Posts
    #34  
    Verizon was always behind on WebOS updates as well, but they eventually came. I thinks it is dumb to switch carriers just because u don't have to wait an extra 30 days or so for an update.
  10. Dr_8820's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    #35  
    When the GS3 came out, Verizon locked the bootloader because they said unlocking it would compromise their network...then released a developer edition of the phone with an unlocked bootloader.
  11. E Lizzle's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    213 Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Verizon was always behind on WebOS updates as well, but they eventually came. I thinks it is dumb to switch carriers just because u don't have to wait an extra 30 days or so for an update.
    What about 60 (which we're nearly single-digit days away from) or 90 days? What is the cutoff?
  12. etphoto's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    336 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,489 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by E Lizzle View Post
    What about 60 (which we're nearly single-digit days away from) or 90 days? What is the cutoff?
    Good question. My phone works, the apps work, updates are nice and I wouldn't leave because everyone gets updates 90 days before me. Most updates aren't that important to me. Great reception is more important that updates. I guess its up to the individual.
  13. E Lizzle's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    213 Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Good question. My phone works, the apps work, updates are nice and I wouldn't leave because everyone gets updates 90 days before me. Most updates aren't that important to me. Great reception is more important that updates. I guess its up to the individual.
    Your point on reception is very valid. FWIW, when the 2005 hurricane season hit South Florida, and there were weeks-long power outages, Verizon was _the only_ carrier that had backup generators on their towers. AT&T and Sprint users in my office had no service.

    -E
    Thanked by:
    benedo 
  14. ny_yankees's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    #39  
    I believe many people really need the update and Verizon should actually work towards a better customer satisfaction. Just having a superb network doesn't mean much if customers are having problems with their phones
    -Verizon HTC 8x Blue
  15. etphoto's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    336 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,489 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by ny_yankees View Post
    I believe many people really need the update and Verizon should actually work towards a better customer satisfaction. Just having a superb network doesn't mean much if customers are having problems with their phones
    I guess it depends on the update. I doubt most updates are "really need"ed. Probably 90% of Verizon customer don't even know there is an update available that Verizon hasn't released yet.
  16. quantum tao's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    146 Posts
    #41  
    if there's an update. I want it. i love updates. patch Tuesday is my favorite day of the month. just give us portico dammit. :)
  17. tbsteph1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    #42  
    Well, there are several added features in Portico plus several bug fixes. The argument that 90% don't even know about updates is moot. I expect my carrier, Verizon in this case, to provide the best user experience possible. Just about every carrier in the world has made Portico available to their WP8 customers. Why Verizon is taking its sweet time providing Portico to its customers does not reflect well on them - being slower than the death star should incriminate those in charge of OS updates.
  18. AR2186's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    531 Posts
    #43  
    Portico runs on Verizon, but only on the Samsung ATIV Odyssey (I've used it). If you can run it on one of the phones on your network, there is no excuse for not releasing it for the other phones.
  19. ny_yankees's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I guess it depends on the update. I doubt most updates are "really need"ed. Probably 90% of Verizon customer don't even know there is an update available that Verizon hasn't released yet.
    I am also post in Verizon's support forum for Windows Phones and you'd be surprised. There are tons of people everyday coming in and asking about the Portico update. I believe by now most of the Verizon WP8 users have an idea that there is an update for the phone
    -Verizon HTC 8x Blue
  20. etphoto's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    336 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,489 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by ny_yankees View Post
    I am also post in Verizon's support forum for Windows Phones and you'd be surprised. There are tons of people everyday coming in and asking about the Portico update. I believe by now most of the Verizon WP8 users have an idea that there is an update for the phone
    Lol, obviously the people who visit forums know about pending updates. I still say its a small percentage.
  21. ny_yankees's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Lol, obviously the people who visit forums know about pending updates. I still say its a small percentage.
    Could be very well, however from my experience, the people that visit the Verizon support page are the typical average people who have no clue about phones. Since that support forum is filled with people asking questions for help on how to work their phones usually
    -Verizon HTC 8x Blue
  22. Jim_MAY's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #47  
    Don't worry Verizon will be shooting out this update soon. Then you can all start complaining about "BLUE" and when will it be released. Verizon does give us the best data connection I've ever seen.

    My Speedtest results: Download: 39.66 Mbps, Upload: 12.89 Mbps.

    WooHoo!
  23. racerjim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
    #48  
    Yeah, love/hate relationship with Verizon. Has always had the best cell service, and their customer service has been good to me. But their reticence to push WP is annoying.
  24. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by AR2186 View Post
    Portico runs on Verizon, but only on the Samsung ATIV Odyssey (I've used it). If you can run it on one of the phones on your network, there is no excuse for not releasing it for the other phones.
    Odd, how it works only on Odyssey but it's being pushed to the 8x...
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Switch to Straight Talk from Verizon and get the 920?
    By ColeHarris in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 08:26 PM
  2. TuneIn app, response from support.
    By fwaits in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 05:59 PM
  3. A bit of WP love from Verizon.
    By Gungzwei in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 02:13 PM
  5. Difference between ordering from Verizon and Amazon?
    By buckeyeballer09 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2011, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

B