Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I'm failing to see the point of this argument. This was a post in a WINDOWS PHONE forum that would make those who like WINDOWS PHONE have a bit of a chuckle. If you have that much of a ***** for apple and the need to quip about it on the internet, you may need to re-think your life.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the_icon12 View Post
    I'm failing to see the point of this argument. This was a post in a WINDOWS PHONE forum that would make those who like WINDOWS PHONE have a bit of a chuckle. If you have that much of a ***** for apple and the need to quip about it on the internet, you may need to re-think your life.
    take it easy the story was about the youth noticing WP as something cool and refreshing it just happened to be a funny story about apple as well
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.- Plato

jabtano likes this.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    There are smug people who own all types of phones. Can we please stop pretending that phenomenon is exclusive to iPhone users? Personally my experience is that the Android nut huggers I know are 1000 times more condescending about any non-Android device than any Apple fan I have seen in a long time. When the iPhone was new I saw more... But the point is who cares? Its a phone. Both sides need to get over it. The people with chips on their shoulders and the allegedly smug.
    why do people insist putting words in my mouth. I never said apple heads are the only ones I was merely agreeing that some iPhone users are very smug so are android users. But I live in Boston that is a iPhone city so I will obviously encounter them more.
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.- Plato

jabtano and Nataku4ca like this.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I wanna personally put it out there that I do not hate apple or apple products. I've owned ipods iPhones apple tv and etc I was merely agreeing that alot of iPhone users are smug that goes for anyone with a diehard brand loyalty mentality. I am open to all tech and am not biased when there is clearly a better product. Just wanna put that out there.

I'm allowed to put down apple because I used to be the biggest iSheep. Had the iPhone 4, MacBook Pro, Apple TV, Apple internet, iPod nano (4th), and more. Then I saw the opening of the iSheep pit, and I left it. The only apple products I have now is apple internet, a 2010 MacBook pro (replacing it with a vizio ca27t-a5), and an iPad 3 (the school I attend gave it to us high schools).

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    I'm allowed to put down apple because I used to be the biggest iSheep. Had the iPhone 4, MacBook Pro, Apple TV, Apple internet, iPod nano (4th), and more. Then I saw the opening of the iSheep pit, and I left it. The only apple products I have now is apple internet, a 2010 MacBook pro (replacing it with a vizio ca27t-a5), and an iPad 3 (the school I attend gave it to us high schools).
    What is Apple Internet? Also, your high school GAVE you an iPad 3??? Wow!

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    Great story, pretty funny!
    Make with the WP purchase already one time why dontcha for pete's sake. Honestly.....

Is it possible, just maybe, that you imagined the part where the mom was being "smug"?

I hear this kind of crap all the time, yet in the real world I have NEVER seen a person who was "smug" about their iPhone. You can get an iPhone for $99 now and everyone has one. NO ONE THINKS THE IPHONE IS A STATUS SYMBOL ANYMORE. They haven't for a LONG TIME GUYS.

Whenever I hear a story like this, it's painfully obvious to me that the authors own sense of insecurity or blind hatred of the iPhone is coloring the narrative.

Get over it people. If you want to hate something, hate Android. Apple is not the one eating Windows Phone's lunch, it is ANDROID you should be worried about.

No one is smug about their damn iPhone. Let it go already. The Apple hate is so damn ridiculous.
    ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME? My whole school thinks the iphone is a status symbol! i get made fun of because you are not "cool" if you dont have an iphone. I am in no way exagerating. its the popular kids with Iphones. Its like you need an Iphone to be popular..im thinking its a rich/poor thing. IPhone=Rich Other=poor

I have a friend, one of my best friends, but he is VERY smug about his iPhone, and it's not imagined. Recently it's become very difficult to talk to him because if I pull out my phone just to check a text the first thing out of his mouth is "Oh, ha, look at that crappy phone, you should get an iPhone, they're so much better." I used to argue with him, but I've just stopped caring and started trying to avoid him because he never lets it go, and he's not the first iPhone user I've met like this, he's just the most recent one of many. iPhone is definitely still a status symbol, just a very common one.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    too funny :D

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Iphones are heavily subsidized by telcos where i am from, so you actually cough up less cash upfront to buy an ip5 on contract compared to a galaxy or lumia or some other smartphone.
    @socialcarpet

Unverified Credentials

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...LMm4RKGS1s7ktM

Plus work in the field already and i still in school.

Global Posts
    2,087 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the_icon12 View Post
    you have aids.
    dude...

Quote Originally Posted by WinFan1 View Post
    why do people insist putting words in my mouth. I never said apple heads are the only ones I was merely agreeing that some iPhone users are very smug so are android users. But I live in Boston that is a iPhone city so I will obviously encounter them more.
    I'm from Boston too dude and there are just as many smug Android, WP and dumbphone users as there are iPhone users.

Further, some folks in here need to move away from the overgeneralizations.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq and Angry_Mushroom like this.

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Haha, this is hilarious!

I'm a high school student and I'm trying to get some friends to get away from iPhone. I think the problem is that the majority of people (especially teenagers) don't know what's the best or what other options they have, they just make their decisions based on what's popular. They think the iPhone or the Galaxy is the best because that's what everyone else has. This is why marketing is so important. Microsoft needs to push out good ads and get them to air on a ton of channels. I'm not really sure what the situation is with WP ads beacsue my parents got rid of our tv service a while ago, but I hope Microsoft is advertising WP well. It needs to be at a point where there are as many WP ads as there are Galaxy/iPhone ads.

I was talking to my friend, and I saw her pull out her iPhone 5. So I pulled out my Lumia 920 and told her that I don't like the iPhone. She was a bit surprised and she asked, "well then what do you like?" I told her I like Windows Phone and showed her my phone. Her first impression was, you guessed it, "that's HUGE! Is that a case on it?" I told her no, that's the real size of the phone and it actually is red. I went on to show her some cool apps like cinemagraph (she really liked that!) and the home screen and camera (btw, the iPhone 5 front facing camrea is A LOT better than the L920's, unfortunately. The L920's is great when you have a good light source, but there's so much noise anytime else. Also, has anyone else noticed that when you use the ffc the picture taken is flipped?). She was impressed but then she asked if I had a snapchat or instagram... I told her no beacuse the apps aren't on Windows Phone yet. That pretty much ruined my chances of bringing her over to WP.

But anyways, tl;dr people think iPhone is the best because they don't know any better. When they go to upgrade they go into the store knowing that they want an iPhone and they don't bother to look around at what else there is. I hope this changes soon.
    jabtano likes this.
    saame here...

although kids at my school find my lumia 920 to be amazing...show people the live tiles and they fall in love.

people love flashy things hahaa.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDak280 View Post
    Haha, this is hilarious!

I'm a high school student and I'm trying to get some friends to get away from iPhone. I think the problem is that the majority of people (especially teenagers) don't know what's the best or what other options they have, they just make their decisions based on what's popular. They think the iPhone or the Galaxy is the best because that's what everyone else has. This is why marketing is so important. Microsoft needs to push out good ads and get them to air on a ton of channels. I'm not really sure what the situation is with WP ads beacsue my parents got rid of our tv service a while ago, but I hope Microsoft is advertising WP well. It needs to be at a point where there are as many WP ads as there are Galaxy/iPhone ads.

I was talking to my friend, and I saw her pull out her iPhone 5. So I pulled out my Lumia 920 and told her that I don't like the iPhone. She was a bit surprised and she asked, "well then what do you like?" I told her I like Windows Phone and showed her my phone. Her first impression was, you guessed it, "that's HUGE! Is that a case on it?" I told her no, that's the real size of the phone and it actually is red. I went on to show her some cool apps like cinemagraph (she really liked that!) and the home screen and camera (btw, the iPhone 5 front facing camrea is A LOT better than the L920's, unfortunately. The L920's is great when you have a good light source, but there's so much noise anytime else. Also, has anyone else noticed that when you use the ffc the picture taken is flipped?). She was impressed but then she asked if I had a snapchat or instagram... I told her no beacuse the apps aren't on Windows Phone yet. That pretty much ruined my chances of bringing her over to WP.

But anyways, tl;dr people think iPhone is the best because they don't know any better. When they go to upgrade they go into the store knowing that they want an iPhone and they don't bother to look around at what else there is. I hope this changes soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    What is Apple Internet? Also, your high school GAVE you an iPad 3??? Wow!
    Sorry, meant the AirPorts. And yes, we have our textbooks on our ipads.

Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    I hate Apple as a company, maybe hates too strong a word. How about a fervent dislike of anything Apple (dont even like the fruit - although thats for different reasons)
    Its not entirely about the products they produce as ive owned an iphone 2, ipod touch and an ipad and they were all good at what they did. Its the inherent bullsh*t thats synonymous with the Apple brand, the obsessive skuemorphism that pervades everything they did and still do. The tax dodging, the inflated markups an all products, the self cannibalism in the range of devices they produce, the almost cult like following (go back 3 years and you cant argue with it), horror stories from manufacturing plants. I could go on but hopefully you get my point.
    Why show any emotion towards it if you want to make a point about how you feel about apple and the iFad "nothing it" hating it or showing distaste for it means your emotionally invested in it and really who needs that kind of pointless stress.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Its a personal anecdote that you can get an iPhone for $99 now and they are neither special nor exclusive?
    Conveniently ignoring the two other sentences quoted. Playing it dumb and putting words in people's mouths doesn't convince anyone to join your cause, reasonable discourse might. But of course, you're trying to defend an indefensible position.

I suggest you let it go.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    My general thought about this thread: I just find it hilarious that people make fun of the smug iOS user, by being even more smug about their phones or their imagined 'independence'.

I also would like to have been there to judge the situation, as I got the feeling from the beginning - and I'm almost sorry to say this -, that this 15 year old was just a cheeky smart-***.

The Apple hating **** is just so tired. You guys need to find another schtick already. Get over the fact that you weren't popular in high school and stop transfering that resentment over to iPhone users who represent the "popular kids" in your mind. Get some therapy and some closure, m'kay pumpkin?
    There, you just made it a status symbol and revealed your unconscious beliefs about what the popular kids own. Now please shut up and crawl back to your hateful loneliness, sugarpie.

Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    I will say that yes, Apple does seem to attract the "******" type of personality which is probably a result from their marketing strategy, however I find that there are as many nice, good-natured people owning Apple products as there are douchebags. IMO this whole thing started with the "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads where they essentially sh*t all over Windows and Microsoft just stood there and took it instead of defending their brand.

I doubt most people see themselves as "cool" for owning an Apple product anymore because lots of people have them. My son is about to get his first smartphone and let me tell you: he is not interested in the iPhone even though my wife and I have one.
    The whole apple is build on hips culture, at least that was the case before iphone becomes everyone's phone
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    The whole apple is build on hips culture, at least that was the case before iphone becomes everyone's phone
    Nope. I actually got my first MacBook free as a disabled uni student on a media degree. Also got loads of software for Mac OS (some of which I still use and is frigging expensive to replace. We're talking 500 even at student price, 2'500 non-student price). I got it because the Mac back then was synchronous with media. I like Mac OS, and I still have those codes. Plus, it just does some things better... Remote presentation control for example. Mac/iPod: Keynote/Keynote Remote. Windows/WinPhone: What option is there...? I might also consider a 5th gen iPod Touch for the improved camera and Instagram. As it's a 5MPixel job, I can even use it in my projects, which is cool (I do a lot of photography mobile vs DSLR type stuff, wanting to expand on the project I started back at university).

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Quote Originally Posted by Zinoka View Post
    Why show any emotion towards it if you want to make a point about how you feel about apple and the iFad "nothing it" hating it or showing distaste for it means your emotionally invested in it and really who needs that kind of pointless stress.
    Emotional investment against something isnt stressful, it just becomes a part of who you are. I dislike lots of things and "nothing it" just seems wrong to me your sitting by and letting things slide. Put some emotion in and things take on purpose.

"It is purpose that guides us, that drive us, purpose that defines us" (Agent Smith - Matrix Reloaded 2003)

Without emotion and therefore purpose "nothing it" makes you nothing, you have no purpose.
    This is probably just me, but let me tell you this:

I am immune to all the Apple Ads.
    No, I don't hate Apple.

It's just that none of their devices run Touhou natively.
    And, I can only afford a feature phone :P
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast