Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

I was in best buy today with one of my daughters and a friend of hers.so of course we go right to the phones and the girls start playing with...you guessed it a L920 while they played this mother was in as well with her teen daughter the mother was using up her upgrade to get her daughter an IPhone 5.. The mother asked my daughters friend are you buying that phone and the girl said no I have the other model the L810 that's when it happened.. Anna asked the mother are you buying a phone? proudly the mother replies I'm buying my daughter the iPhone 5 all smug like....Anna looked at her for a few seconds and said " I'm sorry" put her head down and continued to play with the L920 the Mom just stood there with catatonic look on her face,as for me I almost peed my jeans from laughing I had to walk away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jabtano View Post
    I was in best buy today with one of my daughters and a friend of hers.so of course we go right to the phones and the girls start playing with...you guessed it a L920 while they played this mother was in as well with her teen daughter the mother was using up her upgrade to get her daughter an IPhone 5.. The mother asked my daughters friend are you buying that phone and the girl said no I have the other model the L810 that's when it happened.. Anna asked the mother are you buying a phone? proudly the mother replies I'm buying my daughter the iPhone 5 all smug like....Anna looked at her for a few seconds and said " I'm sorry" put her head down and continued to play with the L920 the Mom just stood there with catatonic look on her face,as for me I almost peed my jeans from laughing I had to walk away.
    I've encountered a few similar experiences. Don't know why some ppl think iPhone is some status of "Honor" or something. Like ur daughter, I'm perfectly happy with my wp and wouldn't trade it for anything else.
    jabtano, snowmutt, m1o2 and 1 others like this.

Hahaha... You got to love it! Kids will always tell the truth and have absolutely no shame about it.
    Windows - Surface RT

Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

jabtano likes this.

Global Posts
    1,384 Global Posts
    People underestimate just how big the mind share gap is with regular people. Yes, the Galaxy S brand is certainly gaining huge traction, but not with mothers. People get the impression that the big honking premium and the sheer popularity of the iPhone places it way ahead of the competition.

That scene would make for an incredible TV commercial!
    hopmedic, Old_Cus, WPenvy and 8 others like this.

About time kids started getting a different phone than their parents and grandparents.

You would never have caught me with something like that.

Thing of it is this lady daughter kept looking at my kids and her friend not looking at them but looking at the L920...it's really funny because on the way home the girls were saying how hot Microsoft was in there school. where the phone to have is the L920...8x....I guess it's the live tile thing where the kids are putting the faces of boyfriends /girlfriends on the tiles and such. the parents keep getting them iPhones and the kids keep asking for WP..interesting thing is Microsoft becoming the new cool with the younger generation?
    Thanked by:
    Curtieson, Bartdog and Hiiiiiiiii like this.
    That is fun!!

WP is about a half of dozen built in capabilities and a few ecosystem improvements (looking at you, XBOX music and games) from being on the same level as the iPhone and maybe some minor hardware upgrades away (large screen limitations) and some form factor options away from removing the last gap between them and Android. It is great that your story shows that a new product is gaining traction.

This upgrade in the Spring/Summer and the support over the next couple years will truly spell out WP's future. People are finally giving MS it's due for taking a chance and reinventing themselves.
    Before posting anything, please be sure to get the facts straight. You can always distort them to your liking later.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jabtano View Post

Is it possible, just maybe, that you imagined the part where the mom was being "smug"?

I hear this kind of crap all the time, yet in the real world I have NEVER seen a person who was "smug" about their iPhone. You can get an iPhone for $99 now and everyone has one. NO ONE THINKS THE IPHONE IS A STATUS SYMBOL ANYMORE. They haven't for a LONG TIME GUYS.

Whenever I hear a story like this, it's painfully obvious to me that the authors own sense of insecurity or blind hatred of the iPhone is coloring the narrative.

Get over it people. If you want to hate something, hate Android. Apple is not the one eating Windows Phone's lunch, it is ANDROID you should be worried about.

No one is smug about their damn iPhone. Let it go already. The Apple hate is so damn ridiculous.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq and RJ G like this.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    I agree to some extend with socialcarpet, but I'd have used different words ;-)
    Yep, I'm 15, and pretty much all of my class has an iPhone (most the 5). But I love my Lumia. 😊
    MDak280 likes this.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Is it possible, just maybe, that you imagined the part where the mom was being "smug"?

I hear this kind of crap all the time, yet in the real world I have NEVER seen a person who was "smug" about their iPhone. You can get an iPhone for $99 now and everyone has one. NO ONE THINKS THE IPHONE IS A STATUS SYMBOL ANYMORE. They haven't for a LONG TIME GUYS.

Whenever I hear a story like this, it's painfully obvious to me that the authors own sense of insecurity or blind hatred of the iPhone is coloring the narrative.

Get over it people. If you want to hate something, hate Android. Apple is not the one eating Windows Phone's lunch, it is ANDROID you should be worried about.

No one is smug about their damn iPhone. Let it go already. The Apple hate is so damn ridiculous.
    you have aids.
    Thanked by:

Cant do it... Must... Hate... Apple...

Global Posts
    2,406 Global Posts
    Ha! Priceless :D

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the_icon12 View Post
    you have aids.
    You should have finished school.

It's smugness alright, but these folks are the exception, not the rule. It's the same look you get when people proudly tell you they have a hybrid.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    You should have finished school.
    college degree bud.

Global Posts
    714 Global Posts
    People definitely buy the iPhone as a status symbol, as well as other Apple products.
    Thanked by:
    MastrMeatWad, Bartdog and WPenvy like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by willied View Post
    People definitely buy the iPhone as a status symbol, as well as other Apple products.
    90% of that is in your imagination.

The vast majority of people buy Apple products because they like them.

Anyone who does not buy a particular product because of an image the associate with it or whom judges people based on a cell phone they use is every bit as much of an *** as someone who buys a certain product because of the image they think it projects.

If you make baseless assumptions about people who use Apple products, then you are no better than a person who would buy such a product because it's an imaginary "status symbol" and I have news for you. 90-95% of the time all of that is playing out in your own head and the person holding the iPhone just has it because they like it, not because they think it's going to impress someone.

The Apple hating **** is just so tired. You guys need to find another schtick already. Get over the fact that you weren't popular in high school and stop transfering that resentment over to iPhone users who represent the "popular kids" in your mind. Get some therapy and some closure, m'kay pumpkin?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    I could care less about apple and who buys them. Don't own any and don't plan on it. But if someone else wants to, have at it. But like it or not, there are those apple owners with attitudes out there. Notice I said those, not all. Friend of mine is an iphone owner, works at best buy, and he complains daily about the attitude of the iphone shoppers. Especially in the coffee houses around campus.

In all fairness, there are owners of all OS' that probably run around doing the superior dance. Just wish they didn't feel the need to cross forums just to stir things up.
    Blu3V3nom07 and LeLee092 like this.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    90% of that is in your imagination.

The vast majority of people buy Apple products because they like them.

Anyone who does not buy a particular product because of an image the associate with it or whom judges people based on a cell phone they use is every bit as much of an *** as someone who buys a certain product because of the image they think it projects.

If you make baseless assumptions about people who use Apple products, then you are no better than a person who would buy such a product because it's an imaginary "status symbol" and I have news for you. 90-95% of the time all of that is playing out in your own head and the person holding the iPhone just has it because they like it, not because they think it's going to impress someone.

The Apple hating **** is just so tired. You guys need to find another schtick already. Get over the fact that you weren't popular in high school and stop transfering that resentment over to iPhone users who represent the "popular kids" in your mind. Get some therapy and some closure, m'kay pumpkin?
    People buy Apple because of the brand name.You can take any crap around and put an Apple logo and tell some people that is the new Apple whatever and they buy it with blind eyes.I've been on the train with my tablet and people have told their kids when they asked, that's an Ipad.They just think everything is Apple. Apple consumers are so blind they don't look around to see what's new or better. And yes there still people around that buy Apple products because they think is a sign of status and they brag about it. Remember the main post is about kids and kids like to brag. Even adults like to brag. I fix computers on the side and I don't deal with Apple computers and when people ask why and tell me Apple is the best I just tell them to go to the Apple store to get support where they bought the product.Since they are the best they could fix it better($$$$$$$).
    Thanked by:

I hate Apple as a company, maybe hates too strong a word. How about a fervent dislike of anything Apple (dont even like the fruit - although thats for different reasons)
    Its not entirely about the products they produce as ive owned an iphone 2, ipod touch and an ipad and they were all good at what they did. Its the inherent bullsh*t thats synonymous with the Apple brand, the obsessive skuemorphism that pervades everything they did and still do. The tax dodging, the inflated markups an all products, the self cannibalism in the range of devices they produce, the almost cult like following (go back 3 years and you cant argue with it), horror stories from manufacturing plants. I could go on but hopefully you get my point.
    People DO think of Apple products as status symbols! People are VERY smug about it! It is so obvious where I am from! They think they are better than everybody else!
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    Fck Apple.
    Thanked by:
    sinime 
    Blu3V3nom07 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    I will say that yes, Apple does seem to attract the "******" type of personality which is probably a result from their marketing strategy, however I find that there are as many nice, good-natured people owning Apple products as there are douchebags. IMO this whole thing started with the "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads where they essentially sh*t all over Windows and Microsoft just stood there and took it instead of defending their brand.

I doubt most people see themselves as "cool" for owning an Apple product anymore because lots of people have them. My son is about to get his first smartphone and let me tell you: he is not interested in the iPhone even though my wife and I have one.
    Last edited by aubreyq; 02-07-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    Thanked by:
    socialcarpet and LeLee092 like this.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast