Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Mystictrust
  • 1 Post By Mystictrust
  • 1 Post By Bilal_Fakih
  • 1 Post By bawboh86

So there is no way to tame that "Other" portion of memory without hard resetting. I am willing to do it, but I'm wondering about a couple of things:

1. Is there a backup?
    2. I know SMS is backed up...somewhere, but I don't know how to access it to "recover" it back to my phone after hard resetting. Can anyone clue me in?
    3. Does the App Reinstaller app work with Windows Phone 8 now?

These and any other tips to make this go smoothly would be greatly appreciated. :)

JD

Go into the backup area of settings and make a backup right now of your apps+settings as that is not done automatically. If SMS backup is turned on, there's nothing left to do there.

After the hard reset, the phone will notice that there are backups somewhere along the setup process. Just tap the most recent backup date+time when you get there. After some time restoring, you'll get into the phone and notice every app is being automatically downloaded and reinstalled for you (as long as it is still in the marketplace of course). That's it.. Then just go into your apps and set them up again :)
    Thanked by:
    dalydose likes this.

Any idea how long the reset process should take? It's been about 30 minutes and I still just see the two gears turning.

It can take some time and can vary based on a lot of factors, so just let it do its thing. There's a good chance it will be done by the time you read this message, but there's also an equally good chance that it will still be going :P If it's been 30 minutes, it's probably pretty close to the end though, but don't freak out if it keeps on going.

I imagine that 12 Gb of Other is contributing to the time.
    Thanked by:
    dalydose likes this.

Yeah, it's still going. I shouldn't look at it, anymore. I should go run to the store and just leave it alone. I also should have taken the SIM out to use in my "old" Lumia 900 while this is going on.

Actually, I recommend the SIM in there. Someone on these forums went through initial phone setup without a SIM so skipped restore (it needs a SIM to download data), and then the phone created an auto restore point on its own. Upon next hard reset, the only restore point that existed was the auto restore point, everything else was deleted from before... as if the auto restore deleted every other restore point. Not sure if it was a device issue, account issue, or an actual OS problem, but I don't think you want to find out the hard way that it's an OS problem :-O

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dalydose View Post
    Yeah, it's still going. I shouldn't look at it, anymore. I should go run to the store and just leave it alone. I also should have taken the SIM out to use in my "old" Lumia 900 while this is going on.
    My phone is broke! i did a rest and it got bricked! i kept doing that for 2 hrs until the battery got empty! if it didnt finish yet! contact nokia care and tell them whats going on with u! Because when i did a rest, the wheels kept spinning for 1hr and45 mins and then i was asked to press the hard rest again! so the phone rebooted the resitng and for 2hrs till it turned off! then i was not able to turn it on anymore! ill be taking my phone to be fixed to nokia care!

this issue is called (bricked) and that really sucks! i hope it finishes with u!

hmm while doing the hard rest dont plug ur phone into the charger..please search for it because i read it somewhere and i guess that wat runied my phone
    Thanked by:
    dalydose likes this.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    Actually, I recommend the SIM in there. Someone on these forums went through initial phone setup without a SIM so skipped restore (it needs a SIM to download data), and then the phone created an auto restore point on its own. Upon next hard reset, the only restore point that existed was the auto restore point, everything else was deleted from before... as if the auto restore deleted every other restore point. Not sure if it was a device issue, account issue, or an actual OS problem, but I don't think you want to find out the hard way that it's an OS problem :-O

You are right! u need the SIM because else u will not get a restore point! exactly wat happened to me! its really stupid but i lost my backup because of that and also the first phone got bricked because of the rest!

Oh great, if this is a warranty replacement, that means I'll be in after the Google tantrum so I won't have EAS anymore. Ugh.

How do I contact Nokia?

Nokia closes at 8pm Eastern, so they're no go. AT&T is ready to just do a warranty replacement which concerns me as I don't want someone else's brick! :) Also, they are usually on short supply on red, which I waited and store-stalked to get. Ugh.

Global Posts
    786 Global Posts
    Nokia closes at 8pm Eastern, so they're no go. AT&T is ready to just do a warranty replacement which concerns me as I don't want someone else's brick! :) Also, they are usually on short supply on red, which I waited and store-stalked to get. Ugh.
    Check out this thread before replacing: Fix for bricked 920's after reset. Flash Process defined inside!

It should help if it bricks.
    Thanked by:
    dalydose likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    Check out this thread before replacing: Fix for bricked 920's after reset. Flash Process defined inside!

It should help if it bricks.
    Oh wow...that's helpful stuff! I already have a replacement on the way and I'm using my "backup" 900. I might look at doing this in the morning though. Ultimately, I trust the condition of my phone vs. the refurb that they're sending me.

Oh great, if this is a warranty replacement, that means I'll be in after the Google tantrum so I won't have EAS anymore. Ugh.
    actually... google is pushing it to early summer...
    How do I contact Nokia?